Philips BDM4065UC - 40" 4K 60Hz monitor thread

Maybe. I don't think it's *that* widespread, but we will see. I've done some unofficial testing and so far haven't seen anything like what's been shown in the photos of the Philips in this thread.

I don't think other VA monitors suffers from the issue like Philips does. Yes, any VA panel seems to suffer from it on the magenta tests and so on. But the problem with Philips is that it appears in normal, every day usage. It shows a color on top of Windows that extends all the way up top the top of the screen so it appears on top of wallpaper or whatever is behind the Window, which is annoying.

This is what I mean:

eyZniRq.jpg

About the lag... The lag is not much of a problem. The biggest negative about the Sammy is the terribly low PWM (that apparently is there even at 100% brightness) which may cause eyestrain and headache.

Last edited:
Am I going to take the opinion of multiple professionals over a few random people who literally just received their screen? Hmm thats a tough one....

And thats on top of the hundreds of testimonials on here and sites like OCUK.

The only "questionable" aspect is the occasional color shifts, a common bug in VA screens, for example the Samsung S32D850T.

I would want a side by side, long term test also on popular monitors.
But reviewers usually test it one time and move on. Many of them do not focus on the user experience; they give a lot of stats and form an opinion from those stats.

Given that we will only see a technical review rather than a long term user experience test i.e. 4 weeks with GTX 980 SLI like [H] does, we continue to get mixed user reviews. These monitors were rated high during reviews but customers complained that the ROF Swift comes with a high probability of dead pixels, 21:9 Ultrawide with backlight bleed, and this Phillips with color banding and ghosting. The list goes on. Highly rated motherboards during the tech review, and then customers complaining of DOA units in the customer reviews. User experience matters more than the tech review.

It's fine that you want to ignore what happens after the tech review, but the user experience what determines whether or not you made a good buying decision.

The only advantage is the curve.

Samsung Disadvantages:

PWM is half of the philips (120hz vs 240hz)
Lag in PC mode is double (44ms vs ~20ms)
Contrast is lower (1:3000 vs 1:5000)
4k/60hz only with HDMI 2.0 (Rare)
Full Glossy Screen (Semigloss is preferable)

people, I am concern that 1 mth. or so from now, those who jump ship to the samsung will complain about burn in, just like philips users, read p.13 of the manual:

Avoid displaying still images (such as jpeg picture files), still image elements (such as TV channel logos, stock
or news crawls at the screen bottom etc.), or programs in panorama or 4:3 image format on the screen. If
you constantly display still pictures, it can cause image burn-in on the LED screen and affect image quality. To
reduce the risk of this adverse effect, please follow the recommendations below:
• Avoid displaying the same TV channel for long periods.
• Always try to display any image in full screen. Use the picture format menu of the TV set for the best
possible match.
• Reduce brightness and contrast to avoid the appearance of after-images.
• Use all TV features designed to reduce image retention and screen burn. Refer to the e-Manual for details

Maybe. I don't think it's *that* widespread, but we will see. I've done some unofficial testing and so far haven't seen anything like what's been shown in the photos of the Philips in this thread.

One person posted a picture of the burn in. Maybe they did have a bad panel and maybe it isn't widespread. But any modern LCD that requires a pixel orbiting feature, which was previously reserved for plasma displays, would have me questioning its quality.

2 quick things:

1) pitch to me, why a curve screen? I still don't get it. Because I view a lot of photos (I don't use photoshop though), and I can't see how I can view photos if some part of that screen is curved.

Say I have a photo on viewer on the left corner of my screen, the photo will start off curve and then flat towards the middle of my screen. How can anyone view a photo like that?

2) if you do get burn in on your samsung a mth. from now, please post it here

my concern is, Samsung also said there is burn in issue on their manual, and Samsung is not a monitor cater towards PC user, it's meant for TV viewing, so they don't really expect any PC users at all to use their screen

people, I am concern that 1 mth. or so from now, those who jump ship to the samsung will complain about burn in, just like philips users, read p.13 of the manual:

All TVs have this clause/issue.
There's a setting within the TV after 2,4,6,8 hours it auto shuts off to prevent burn in.
Four hour shut off is recommended. After it shuts off you can turn it back on. I can use it as an alert to take a break or something.

The difference is TV vs PC monitor. A PC monitor shouldn't have this issue.
The Phillips and Seiki monitors are stripped down TVs. So you're paying the price of a TV but only getting bare monitor features i.e. Displayport.

Samsung, Phillips and Seiki sets are TVs at it's core. Samsung is a better TV overall.

There's a setting within the TV after 2,4,6,8 hours it auto shuts off to prevent burn in.
Two hour shut off is recommended. After it shuts off you can turn it back on. I can use it as an alert to take a break or something.

The Phillips and Seiki monitors are stripped down TVs. So you're paying the price of a TV but only getting bare monitor features i.e. Displayport.

Being that the Samsung, Phillips and Seiki sets are TVs at it's core, it obvious Samsung is a better TV overall.

PC monitors have had this issue for ages. The technology isn't different between TV and monitor. The only thing is the concessions included for additional PC functionality like USB and DisplayPort. Any monitor will burn-in.

Samsung models seem to have that, no?

Only on the super expensive "SUHD" ones in the new 2015 lineup, and not in 40" yet. :(

PC monitors have had this issue for ages. The technology isn't different between TV and monitor. The only thing is the concessions included for additional PC functionality like USB and DisplayPort. Any monitor will burn-in(
No, not any monitor. I've literally never seen burn-in on any PC monitor dating from about 2003 onwards, it just doesn't happen, I've only ever really seen it on Plasma TVs.
I've spent thousands of hours in front of all of the following, and each one has at some point in its life displayed the same static image for more than 24 hours, and shown not the slightest hint of burn-in afterwards:

Dell Ultrasharp 2407FPW
Dell Ultrasharp 3007WFP
Dell Ultrasharp 3008WFP
Dell UP3214Q
2x Dell U2312HM
Samsung SM2032BW

Not even the cheapo Samsung S19B150 or benQ G950 monitors some of our clients have, have shown any hint of it.

Burn-in is a TV phenomenon, not a monitor phenomenon, end of story and I'm frankly amazed to see it on the Philips.

It's fine that you want to ignore what happens after the tech review, but the user experience what determines whether or not you made a good buying decision.

No one has even had the Samsungs for one month. If you really believe this then you should wait for the "user experience" when people have actually owned the Samsungs for a decent amount of time instead of the several posts saying how much better it is for people that have owned it for two weeks.

PC monitors have had this issue for ages. The technology isn't different between TV and monitor. The only thing is the concessions included for additional PC functionality like USB and DisplayPort. Any monitor will burn-in.

I never experienced burn in on any monitor that I owned since I started using computers in 1998.

where's the proof that samsung is 4:4:4? I don't see it anywhere

There is some pictures on the Samsung thread and over at AVS forum showing it.

Thought I may as well link my reply on the OcUK forum to sum up my experiences with this display.
I certainly have no interest in going with another 40" VA panel, so would be looking to get another IPS/PLS display - has anyone here got any experience of the U32D97KQSR?

I have been reading about the 32" PLS Samsung and it did not seem that great.

Burn-in is a TV phenomenon, not a monitor phenomenon, end of story and I'm frankly amazed to see it on the Philips.

Maybe because the Philips uses a TV panel?

No one has even had the Samsungs for one month. If you really believe this then you should wait for the "user experience" when people have actually owned the Samsungs for a decent amount of time instead of the several posts saying how much better it is for people that have owned it for two weeks.

There's very little experience with the Phillips because it's still not officially available in the US.
So, a TFT review of a monitor I can't buy yet trumps a monitor users and I own currently?

Looking at the user experience of the Phillips vs Samsung, we are starting to see which is the better buy.

I see this will go on and on.

It's not even comparable, the amount of users on the philips is much larger, and it has been around for much longer, it's pointless to compare user feedback on one vs the other, much as it is to say that one is better because it has less feedback now, they are both going to have very similar problems, since a lot of these problems are problems of the VA technology, and ones that aren't like the non square pixels, are problems found on panels made for TV's (at least cheap TV's), which the samsung is.

Has anyone actually seen if it's burn in, because I keep hearing it's burn in, but it's very likely just image persistence, I had a L245WP which was also a VA panel, and it also suffered from the problem, and it's not burn in, it's image persistence, in that specific monitor (haven't had it on the philips yet), it only happened after many many hours of uninterrupted viewing of an image with the same component which was in the same place, and it went away by just running a simple program for a few hours.

Thread is finally getting salty from Philips owners under siege, wondering if they jumped the gun way too soon on a display with clear issues.

Was overdue frankly, we've needed more entries in the large display 4k 4:4:4: arena for a long time, good to finally see it happening with the new Samsung line shipping.

Hopefully it continues at a faster rate, Sony's 2015 line, along with a few other big mfgs, hasn't been revealed yet...onward and upward.

Thread is finally getting salty from Philips owners under siege, wondering if they jumped the gun way too soon on a display with clear issues.
hasn't been revealed yet...onward and upward.

I'm thinking that's why we're seeing supply problems as they work out the apparant manufacturing issues.

It's also possible that people who are having issues are disproportionately represented in the forum. Most people who are happy with a product don't come out to the forums to say "everything works great and I'm having no issues"

Not sure if you see me as one of those Philips owners or not, but let me just say that looking from here those "clear issues" does not seem obvious at all. Of course the burn in that one person is reporting has not had time to appear or not appear here as the screen has only been on my desk for two days, but the other issues really seem like non issues to me thus no "wondering" here.

Yes - I can make ghostly shadow appear following the edge of windows, but the shadow is so faint seeing it without really looking for it simply does not happen.

And the 1.7% geometry distortion is properly there as well, but it is not something I notice. Nor do I find the screen overly bright and I can't detect flickering when I turn down the brightness level.

All in all I am pretty happy and if anything should turn there is a three year warranty to lean on. Given the choice I would have liked the Philips to come with a non-reflective frame, a adjustable stand, an SD-card reader, USB-hub on the side and not on the back and of course for it to have OLED panel - but considering the low price I think it is a great buy.

Hopefully it continues at a faster rate, Sony's 2015 line, along with a few other big mfgs, hasn't been revealed yet...onward and upward.

Sony's line up is out: Here is a link http://www.flatpanels.dk/artikel.php?subaction=showfull&id=1427789827 (You may wanna run it by google translate or just scroll past the editorial stuff to the specs some way down). Sony bring out six 4K TV's one of which is a curved one, counting the different sizes that makes 12 different ones to chose from with a 43" being the smallest and 75" the largest.

burn-in is admittedly the wrong term for it, it's image persistence, but it's pretty bad. I associate image persistence with something that disappears after less than a minute and takes a few hours to accumulate. On this screen it appears fairly quickly and takes several minutes to go away, which makes it behave almost like burn-in, if you need to leave static images on your display regularly, as I do.
There are a fair few people that'd probably think the BDM4065UC is great but to be honest, they have to be the sort of people that don't care much about monitors and I don't think that's the sort of market to which this product caters.

I'm thinking that's why we're seeing supply problems as they work out the apparant manufacturing issues.

It's also possible that people who are having issues are disproportionately represented in the forum. Most people who are happy with a product don't come out to the forums to say "everything works great and I'm having no issues"

Nop, just an unexpected high demand, the monitor continues to have ample supply in Asia, where it was released significantly before the rest of the world.
The monitor is an insanely good seller, as oc uk said, it's their best selling 4k monitor, which is saying something considering they spend a lot of time without it in stock, and that they jacked up the price to absurd levels (I would never pay that price for this monitor).

The negativity is not even representative of this forum, if you see the amount of people that got this monitor (there aren't many) most of them are happy with the monitor, or at the very least they are not complaining, it's really only a couple of people that actually have the monitor that are complaining, then you have ofc people that are looking to buy a monitor, and don't have it, and are displeased to find out the defects of this monitor, which also adds to the negativity feel, but are not actual opinions from buyers.

To clarify the monitor definitely has many of the problems discussed, some are inherit to the VA technology, others are related to the way the panel is manufactured like non square pixels and pwm, which are very likely going to be found in anything in this price range (that is also 40" 4k 60hz ofc).

burn-in is admittedly the wrong term for it, it's image persistence, but it's pretty bad. I associate image persistence with something that disappears after less than a minute and takes a few hours to accumulate. On this screen it appears fairly quickly and takes several minutes to go away, which makes it behave almost like burn-in, if you need to leave static images on your display regularly, as I do.
There are a fair few people that'd probably think the BDM4065UC is great but to be honest, they have to be the sort of people that don't care much about monitors and I don't think that's the sort of market to which this product caters.

This sounds like a defective panel, because I have had the monitor since late February, have been using it for several hours every day, most of them in desktop, and I still haven't gotten any image persistence, and since I have had it before on another monitor, I know what to look for.

Four hour shut off is recommended. After it shuts off you can turn it back on. I can use it as an alert to take a break or something.

Samsung, Phillips and Seiki sets are TVs at it's core. Samsung is a better TV overall.

Hahahaha you are hilarious! So suddenly one of your main arguments becomes invalid, yet only the Philips should be held to that standard eventhough both screens are used as PC monitors :rolleyes:

At the end of the day the Philips is cheaper (in germany where i live its 700€ vs 1000€ samsung), has a better backlight, half the lag, more contrast and has those "bare monitor features" like 2 Displayports, PIP and PBP.

Last edited:
So you're saying that those which does not agree with you do so because they don't care. Since we are apparently being honest here to me your statement makes you sound pretty arrogant at best and on the same time you are certainly wrong in your assumption.

I could go on and form a hypothesis as to why you feel the need to devalue the opinion of those that disagree with you, but instead I think we should try to stay on target and debate the Philips monitor.

Here is a little DIY tip for those which find the power diode too bright. When used in a lit room I don't see it as a issue, but earlier I tried on the screen in the dark as I was playing LIMBO and then the diode was annoying. So here is what I came up with using what was just within reach.

1. Find a thin piece of non-transparent plastic. I used a piece from a chapter divider from a folder I had on my desk. Since the plastic is thin it will really act semi-transparent and you will still be able to see the diode light through it.
  2. Cut out a fitting pice of the plastic or better yet use a hole punch to get a nice round one.
  3. Rub the plastic piece on a paper glue stick and then simply put it over the diode. The paper glue will be sticky enough to hold the plastic in place, but not so that you can't easily remove it and the same goes for any trace of the glue.

Not intending to devalue anyone's opinions, but unless people categorically do not experience these issues, then if they're still satisfied, they see the issue but do not care about it. Honestly, if the only issues with the display were the washed out colours and viewing angles, I'd probably keep it, because it's a very 'impressive' display. Day to day use though, I personally find its flaws unpleasant - others clearly aren't bothered by them. The ones that are, are the ones described as 'salty'.
The power LED is a daft little point, but does have to be considered when weighing up pros and cons, even if only very slightly - I'm fine with my little plushy hedgehog sitting in front to conceal it, even though it shouldn't be necessary :) Ergonomically speaking, the rear controls are the main bugbear there - that would be less an issue on a smaller screen, but at 40" you have an enormous amount of blank space to feel your way through to try and find the button as it's not near the edge.

I'm not sure I see the 10% markup OcUK applied as being 'absurd' - it's a bit greedy I admit, but ultimately, they were able to deliver me one before June where no other UK retailer could (and indeed, Scan who I pre-ordered with made a ballsup of it by only notifying me they couldn't fulfill the order at after 5pm on Friday - luckily despite some horrific payment gateway issues [never use amazon payments!] OcUK still got me one by Monday, which you can't argue with] - if it had turned out to be any good, that extra 2 months would have been well worth paying the extra £60 for, in much the same way that I paid £500 more for the UP3214Q than it costs now, to have the pleasure of its company for that year (would have been £1400 more without a commercial discount, the price has plummeted since then!)
Sadly though, I know full well putting the UP3214Q back here will result in an 'ahhh, that's better!' feeling - and if you're getting that feeling about your 'old' product, your new product is clearly not for you.
I'll just pray that the R9 300 series doesn't have the same abysmal MST support and see if I can get one of those, then carry on with the UP3214Q until something better comes along.

Hahahaha you are hilarious! So suddenly one of your main arguments becomes invalid, yet only the Philips should be held to that standard eventhough both screens are used as PC monitors :rolleyes:

At the end of the day the Philips is cheaper (in germany where i live its 700€ vs 1000€ samsung), has a better backlight, half the lag, more contrast and has those "bare monitor features" like 2 Displayports, PIP and PBP.

Ok so you own the monitor right? Tell me your impressions so far.

The ones that are, are the ones described as 'salty'.

The power LED is a daft little point, but does have to be considered when weighing up pros and cons, even if only very slightly - I'm fine with my little plushy hedgehog sitting in front to conceal it, even though it shouldn't be necessary :) Ergonomically speaking, the rear controls are the main bugbear there - that would be less an issue on a smaller screen, but at 40" you have an enormous amount of blank space to feel your way through to try and find the button as it's not near the edge.

I'm not sure I see the 10% markup OcUK applied as being 'absurd'

Actually the ones being described as salty are the ones that don't mind the issues the screen has, then again wouldn't say even those are being called salty, since it was just one user that said that.

Funny enough I actually prefer the joystick over the normal button stuff, since I never use the buttons enough to know which one does what in the dark, while with the joystick since it only has 4 possible positions, it's a lot simpler to use. The power led is another story, it's just straight up awful, especially when it goes into standby mode and it starts to blink.

It's not 10%, it's 10% over the amazon price, the amazon price is already more than suggested retail price, and things many times are cheaper than the RRP, the suggested retail price is suppose to be bellow 600£, and you even had a few stores selling at that price at the start, before ofc many of them realized that there was a lot more demand than supply.
Not that I blame them for doing it, I would do the same, but it's still a very high markup over what it's suppose to be at.

Sadly though, I know full well putting the UP3214Q back here will result in an 'ahhh, that's better!' feeling - and if you're getting that feeling about your 'old' product, your new product is clearly not for you.
I'll just pray that the R9 300 series doesn't have the same abysmal MST support and see if I can get one of those, then carry on with the UP3214Q until something better comes along.

Why not get one of those curved ultrawides? Haven't looked much but I'm under the impression the LG's are good, they ofc aren't 4k, but they are close enough, you get very close to the width of this monitor, you get the same PPI, it's IPS panels so it doesn't have the issues of this one, the only real disadvantage is the non standard aspect ratio, not sure if that's a problem for you or not, for me it was the main reason why I didn't went for one, since 21:9 seems better for monitors.

Here is a little DIY tip for those which find the power diode too bright.

If you still have a floppy disk laying around somewhere, you can put a piece of the magnetic black disc over it, and then duct tape it with black tape (or glue it ofc), it still shows the led, but it becomes a dim red(not really red), which means if for some reason one needs to see the led it's still there, it's just not bothersome. another possible solution is to put that, inside where the led actually is, since I assume that part is accessible when removing that bottom part to remove the transparent protection duct tape that can only be removed by dissembling that lower part.

Last edited:
No, not any monitor. I've literally never seen burn-in on any PC monitor dating from about 2003 onwards, it just doesn't happen, I've only ever really seen it on Plasma TVs.
I've spent thousands of hours in front of all of the following, and each one has at some point in its life displayed the same static image for more than 24 hours, and shown not the slightest hint of burn-in afterwards:

Dell Ultrasharp 2407FPW
Dell Ultrasharp 3007WFP
Dell Ultrasharp 3008WFP
Dell UP3214Q
2x Dell U2312HM
Samsung SM2032BW

Not even the cheapo Samsung S19B150 or benQ G950 monitors some of our clients have, have shown any hint of it.

None I've owned have, but then I don't leave my monitors on constantly, and with a static image on them all day long. I've seen it happen at school, libraries, and in offices, however, so it DOES happen on monitors. I use a CRT monitor from 2002, and it's the second one I've owned, and neither one has experienced burn-in or image retention. That does not mean it doesn't happen.

I also own a 60" Samsung F8500, which is a plasma screen, and I haven't seen even the slightest bit of burn-in or retention. Does that mean I should assume it's impossible and never happens? No. But it's also not as guaranteed as you make it sound like you think it is. :p

The pics of the weird ghosting/retention/traces on the Philips are enough to cause concern to me. The whole reason I still use a 2k CRT monitor is because I haven't discovered a newer monitor that beats it on any front other than footprint/weight, but it's a desktop. My monitor stays where it is. Displays are improving, but they still have a ways to go before they catch up to CRT. I'm hoping for "quantum dot"/"nano chrystals" to finally start advancing display technology again since the huge leap backward it took with LCD. :( Obviously, I don't mind waiting.

The only advantage is the curve.

Samsung Disadvantages:

PWM is half of the philips (120hz vs 240hz)
Lag in PC mode is double (44ms vs ~20ms)
Contrast is lower (1:3000 vs 1:5000)
4k/60hz only with HDMI 2.0 (Rare)
Full Glossy Screen (Semigloss is preferable)

So all these hype about samsung is because of the curve screen? I don't care much for that.

I am happy it does 4:4:4

but the screen is meant for TV only, so I am quite concern in after 1 mth., people who uses it will complain about burn in

So all these hype about samsung is because of the curve screen? I don't care much for that. I am happy it does 4:4:4
but the screen is meant for TV only, so I am quite concern in after 1 mth., people who uses it will complain about burn in

Bun-in in LCD TV panel :confused: and no burn-in in LCD monitor panel :confused::confused: ?. How is that possible :confused::confused::confused:??

Curved is definitely substantial advantage for a monitor. But after lots of testing I concluded 40" is too big for me, it is stands up too high over the desk even if maximally lowered. Optimal size I found is 32" and even right now I typing this on a 27" raised so that the upper edge of the screen corresponds to the 32" lowered down to touch the desk including bezel. Raising the screen even more feels unpleasant since to see the upper part of the screen one has to look up.

The joystick I'd be fine with if it was on the front, even if it was underneath the little Philips logo bar - but not round the back, even if I had spare room beside the display that'd be awkward to reach - given there's stuff next to the monitor due to its size, I have to stand up to reach it - I imagine many others would be in the same position.
The power LED flashing is annoying, and a trait I hate on all monitors that do it (usually Samsungs) but normally a non-issue as you can just turn the monitor off with a power button on the front - the Philips having one on the rear that you have to hold in for 3 seconds before the monitor powers down, plus the fact that since we're using displayport now, your windows resize to 800x600 if you turn your monitor off, makes having to turn your monitor off with the PC still on a damn nuisance. Again though, covering up the LED 'solves' this.

When I said 10%, I was comparing it to the only other retailer that actually proclaimed to have some in stock in the UK - I'm a UK resident so bought it directly as a domestic user. Scan wanted £660, OcUK bumped their price to £720 when it became apparent nobody else had any - a tactic they use all the time which is normally a bit greedy but in this case, would have worked out well if only the monitor was any good!

The curved displays I've tried in the past I'm really not a fan of, plus, I refuse to lose any more vertical pixel space - 16:9 is definitely the aspect ratio I want to keep, and for work purposes, I want as much pixel real estate as possible - if they weren't quadrotiled, I'd have been eyeing up one of the 5K Dells to be honest...

I'm now starting to see the colour distortion show up - had an elongated bar of colour extend all the way down the screen vertically from a window earlier - it's just... that's bad. It's not unlivable, but is this the sort of thing I really want to put up with for my new purchase? If I'm upgrading my monitor, I don't want to be introducing three times as many new problems as I'm fixing...

I have good periods and bad periods with it because from a general overview perspective the image looks really nice, but in terms of living with it day to day, it's never going to stop irritating me, whether it's blurry moving images, colour distortion, seeing my reflection in the gloss, the silly controls, the silly power LED, the PWM flicker effect, the viewing angles, the weak colours or the brightness uniformity. The one thing I thought was going to bother me the most, the stand, actually hasn't bothered me at all - it's not ideal, but it pales into insignificance compared to the rest. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, when I look at the 4 year old 23" Dell that cost me £175 from a walk-in store that sits beside it and marvel at how much better it is in every single way - colour, quality, ergonomics, viewing angles, backlight uniformity, no image persistence, no screen errors, [no displayport to put up with either but admittedly no 4K monitor can help that] it just blows the Philips out of the water. One of my oldest, cheapest monitors really shouldn't best my new high-end purchase on one count, let alone more than half a dozen, should it? No one flaw of the Philips makes it unusable, which is why making the decision to send it back is not going to be easy, but in truth, I just don't think it's very good, not when I have a monitor that's so much better that I was going to replace with it. I was a little remorseful about the prospect of selling that on given how good it has been even if the Philips was perfect, but when it's this bad, I couldn't live with myself for selling the Dell and keeping this, even if it did save me money.
Problem is, I will need more graphics power soon, but how on earth am I going to manage crossfire or SLI on an MST display? Perhaps I should put my monitor cash towards a Titan X instead... :D

I'm posting this in response to a comment that people unhappy with a product are more likely to post than those who are. I agree, so I want to balance the scales a little.

I've been waiting awhile to purchase a 4K monitor around this size--roaming these forums and others. I finally pulled the trigger on the 4065UC in mid February after reading the review on TFT Central and the early reports here and at OCUK. I bought it from an eBay seller in Korea for $900 including shipping. There are no duties/customs fees for computer monitors imported to the US from S. Korea if anyone was still wondering. Knowing the limitations of the stand, I also bought two Ergotron LX Sit-Stand Desk Mount LCD Arms--one for the 4065 and one for my BenQ BL3200PT.

After more than a month with it, this monitor still amazes me every time I look at it. It's not perfect, but it's the only game in town from my perspective and, for the price, I'm more than satisfied. I used the TFT Central icc file as a baseline and made a few minor adjustments to fit my preferences.

The contrast and black levels are some of the best I've ever seen.

The color accuracy is as good as my BenQ and the colors pop a little more. I assume this is due to the glossy screen more than anything else. I would prefer a matte screen to keep the glare down, but I've got it in the basement, so I have good control over the lighting and the adjustable stand helps in that regard as well.

With SmartUniformity on, only the very corners (1.5" or so) seem a little dimmer--not enough to bother me.

I covered the blue LED with black electrical tape, as I do with most of my other electronics. No issue there.

I haven't noticed any dead pixels, ghosting or image persistence that others have mentioned. However, other than looking for dead pixels, I have intentionally not attempted to find them. If I can't see them in my normal use, I don't want to know.

The viewing angles are not the greatest but, once again, the adjustable stand alleviates this problem for me. It allows me to position the monitor perfectly, regardless of seat height or position.

My biggest concern was the non-square pixels. I do a lot of CAD work, but I really have to do a side-by-side comparison and look hard to be able to tell. I think you'd really have to be a digital artist or do similar "by eye" work to care. It was a non-issue for me.

This is a single stream transport (SST) display, not MST. I'm driving the display from dual GTX 970s and have not had the reported failure-to-wake problem. It is a couple of seconds slower to wake than the BenQ. It is also slower to switch resolution or refresh rate. For movie buffs, it will do near perfect 23.976Hz--usually around 23.9785.

The joystick control location is very strange and obviously not optimal, but once I got things set up the way I like, I rarely touch the damn thing. The sleep mode is enough for me. I haven't physically turned off my monitors in a long time.

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor and Far Cry look fucking gorgeous on it.

Basically, if you want a 16x9 4K monitor large enough enough to not have to muck around with scaling and don't need it for pro color work, this is the one. Get an adjustable stand to go with it.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the PWM. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I don't notice it. I've never had a problem with other PWM monitors either.

Cool. It's good to hear more positive impressions about this thing. Thanks for taking the time to post. :)

The power LED flashing is annoying, and a trait I hate on all monitors that do it (usually Samsungs) but normally a non-issue as you can just turn the monitor off with a power button on the front - the Philips having one on the rear that you have to hold in for 3 seconds before the monitor powers down, plus the fact that since we're using displayport now, your windows resize to 800x600 if you turn your monitor off, makes having to turn your monitor off with the PC still on a damn nuisance. Again though, covering up the LED 'solves' this.

This is the first I've heard of these issues, and they might drive me even more insane than some of the other concerns people have posted. Are others having their windows resize like this when they turn their monitor off and back on? And do you really have to freaking hold onto the power button for 3 seconds to turn off the monitor?? I frequently get up and shut off my monitor when I'm about to leave. After a week of use I'm going to start hating this thing if that's the case.

I don't ever turn my monitor off.
It goes to sleep, so why would you want to power it off?

Put a piece of black electrical tape over the light, or open it up and disconnect the LED.

Back