Philips BDM4065UC - 40" 4K 60Hz monitor thread

It is exactly like it is on the Lincoln (well not exactly, on the Lincoln it's around 1,5% instead of 1,77%), the reason why no one notices it, is because you're not seeing something side by side when looking at the monitor, this makes a small difference basically non existent to your mind.
Another way of looking at it, is that just about all TV's have this problem, and there is a lot of content being visualized on TV's in every home, how many of us have noticed that things look fatter on the TV's, than they do on the monitors?

Funny enough if you're making content that is going to be displayed on a TV, you would actually be getting something that is more representative of what the end user sees.

If you're a PC or mobile developer, though, it just complicates the process. Not to mention, you want to start at 1:1, so that if something looks normal at 1:1 it will only look slightly off at 1:1.x, whereas if you start at 1:1.x it will look slightly off in the opposite direction for everyone using 1:1.

The sekei thread has pictures of someone demonstrating the issue with a real-world object, an in that thread, the issue isn't TOO bad, livable for the price, if this Phillips is using the same panel, then it's not as drastic as the right Lincoln.

Had been waiting for this panel for months, even had a $799 order in at Amazon, but just grabbed the Seiki 4K 40" panel instead. Just an FYI - this panel will not do 60Hz on an Apple product - at least not on a 2013 Mac Pro - Apple will only do 60Hz with MST, and this panel appears (per TFTCentral) to be SST.

I've been very tempted to cancel my pending $799 order from Amazon and just buy from someone else for $1K.

And I almost did.

But then I had visions the next night about my BDM4065UC arriving damaged from Korea, its dead pixels and BLB poking me with pitchforks made of fire, all while a return shipping label of $100 cackled with glee...

Mine is scheduled to arrive April 9th. What about yours? Amazon has been very good about hitting the estimated date in the past.
Yours says a firm April 9? My purchase confirmation has a pretty huge range. I ordered mine on March 9th and I've got a delivery estimate of April 2 - May 15.

Yours says a firm April 9? My purchase confirmation has a pretty huge range. I ordered mine on March 9th and I've got a delivery estimate of April 2 - May 15.

I did get a range, from April 9 - May 1st. I have no idea why mine has a tighter range. However, having preordered items in the past, the delivery has always been pretty accurate on the first date given.

I did get a range, from April 9 - May 1st. I have no idea why mine has a tighter range. However, having preordered items in the past, the delivery has always been pretty accurate on the first date given.
Interesting. I just updated my shipping info (just reconfirmed and saved the original info) and it now gives me a range of April 2 - April 24.

I'm really hoping for that April 2.

I've got April 17th-May 15th range also. Considering pulling the trigger on the Seiki as it is in stock now as I actually like its stand better and it's the same panel. Possibly comparing both who knows.

The 4k itch has been killing me for a while now , and I really want 40" not 32".

(my all time favorite monitor still was my Westy W3 37" :p)

the seiki stand is really nice, its metal and feels it, has a great weight to it. Has tilt and swivel with the only downside being no height adjust which I'm guessing would have been difficult given the weight of a 40" panel.

I've got April 17th-May 15th range also. Considering pulling the trigger on the Seiki as it is in stock now as I actually like its stand better and it's the same panel. Possibly comparing both who knows.

The 4k itch has been killing me for a while now , and I really want 40" not 32".

(my all time favorite monitor still was my Westy W3 37" :p)

So the Seiki 40" is the SAME panel as the Philips? I haven't been following the thread too much, but I do want the 40" Philips...Just don't want to wait a 1-2 months for it...

These are finally stock in Finnish stores, ordered one and on the tracking site it says "Weight 1.5kg" and dimensions 0,48 x 0,35 x 0,12 :eek:

So the Seiki 40" is the SAME panel as the Philips? I haven't been following the thread too much, but I do want the 40" Philips...Just don't want to wait a 1-2 months for it...

Dont be too impatient...

The philips may be the same panel, but the warranty seems to be great (if the 3 years is true).

A month is nothing, flies by.

These are finally stock in Finnish stores, ordered one and on the tracking site it says "Weight 1.5kg" and dimensions 0,48 x 0,35 x 0,12 :eek:

That must be the secret inflatable version :D

The shop here in Denmark had listed mine to arrive for shipment today making me hope to finally have it Monday, but no word from them so it seems more waiting is needed. Some other dealers here now list it as in stock, so if there are no news Monday I will cancel my order and order at a different seller.

That must be the secret inflatable version :D
The shop here in Denmark had listed mine to arrive for shipment today making me hope to finally have it Monday, but no word from them so it seems more waiting is needed. Some other dealers here now list it as in stock, so if there are no news Monday I will cancel my order and order at a different seller.

What is the overhead you guys pay comparing to the price in Germany?

Seiki has some interesting products but given their track record of terrible support, especially on the long replacement time, I would be hesitant to pay their current price. If it were $500 maybe, but not $1000. Given Seiki's history of price drops though, it will probably not take to long to get there.

Thing is with a square trade warranty in the US anyway for 40 bucks it gets 3 years replacement cost pretty much. I'd rather have them cut me a check than go through RMA hell with Phillips or Seiki. Which is what they usually do on monitors and tvs not over 1500.

I don't even pay attention any more to the manufacturer warranty because for the cost of the square trade warranty on Amazon means most of the time you just get refunded the original cost of the item unless it's a huge and pricey tv then they send someone to fix it.

Thing is with a square trade warranty in the US anyway for 40 bucks it gets 3 years replacement cost pretty much. I'd rather have them cut me a check than go through RMA hell with Phillips or Seiki. Which is what they usually do on monitors and tvs not over 1500.

I don't even pay attention any more to the manufacturer warranty because for the cost of the square trade warranty on Amazon means most of the time you just get refunded the original cost of the item unless it's a huge and pricey tv then they send someone to fix it.

Usually, extended warranties become active "after" the manufacture warranty has expired, it doesn't supersede the original.
The Phillips warranty is 3 years, so the SquareTrade warranty will become active after 3 years.

Within 3 years, you have RMA'd or sold the monitor. If it's still going after 3 years, it's a good monitor and will continue to be until the person decides to replace it.

Another thought in regard to warranty - keep in mind that many credit card companies offer additional warranty protection as a membership benefit. Discover, for example, would double the manufacturer's warranty on the Seiki and provide an additional year of coverage at no cost. And you have the backing of your credit card company when it comes to the claims process, so you wouldn't be stuck dealing only with Seiki/Philips/etc.

Just thought I'd mention that. But Dahkoht has a point; if the ST warranty is only $40 for 3 years and they'll just reimburse you for the product value in the event of a claim, that seems like a pretty good deal. I don't have any experience with ST but when I read about their services it seemed like the first step involved shipping your item to one of their repair centers for service. Maybe in reality they are more prone to just cut you a check for the value; I don't know.

I paid 739 EUR. Plus a NeoFlex stand from Ergotron for about 140 EUR. Local shipping, not international. Shop: coolblue.be

850 Euros is the cheapest that I can find, most stores sell it for 899+ though.
I paid 739 EUR. Plus a NeoFlex stand from Ergotron for about 140 EUR. Local shipping, not international. Shop: coolblue.be

You got very good price, typically prices around 750 euro can be found in the core of EU. That means 100 eurons less than in the periphery.

As I've previously advised, with two GTX970s you'd probably be looking at around 50-60fps in War Thunder at 4K max settings. As long as you don't crave continuous 60fps, that should be enough, but I can't definitively say yes or no. Just be aware that while War Thunder seems fairly forgiving on video memory, in other titles once you go SLI, 3.5GB might be a bit on the low side.

what if I only have a 650 GTX Ti Boost? Would it be enough to run:

1) web browser, Open Office spreadsheet and word processor

2) 2D game like Sine Mora

what if I only have a 650 GTX Ti Boost? Would it be enough to run:

1) web browser, Open Office spreadsheet and word processor

2) 2D game like Sine Mora

As long as your version has a Displayport 1.2 port on it - yes. As far as I'm aware they all do.

What is the overhead you guys pay comparing to the price in Germany?

It changes all the time - when I made my order it was around $45. Right now it more like $100 as it seems some of the shop that have the thing in stock are a little greedy.

With most stuff there isn't really anything buying from Germany as opposed to here in Denmark, except that there is of course more shops to chose from in Germany so more chance to find what you need on sale. Plus for some silly reason shipping here in Denmark is crazy expensive so when buying cheaper big items like a computer case it is not uncommon one can save $100 in shipping buying it in Germany!

I'm trying to decide if I should get this 40'' monitor or a 55'' 4k TV (I plan on playing PC games, console games, and watching shows/movies with whatever I get). Are there any other advantages to a monitor besides less input lag? I need something that I can also hook at least one game console up to. Will, say, a Wii U or PS4 be upscaled when plugged in to the hdmi port and will I have to use the monitor's sound?

There's a 3.5mm passthrough for the HDMI audio I believe, so that's no issue - but 55" might be a bit on the big side for PC games unless you can sit some distance away. At a desk, 40" is probably about the limit.

Also if you are going for a TV, make sure you get one with HDMI 2.0 or you won't get 60Hz on the PC, and that's not fun!

Below a mini-review, beware that this is my own opinion, feel free to disagree.

I've owned this monitor for little over a month, and I can't recommend it at all.
I used it for work like Photoshop, 3Ds Max, Zbrush, ...but also for gaming & movies.

For movies, this monitor is "ok". Take into account that even 720P rips will look bad on this 4K monitor.

For gaming, it's ok-ish. There IS a noticeable input lag. I came from a Dell 2410 monitor with roughly and theoretically the same input lag, but the difference is quite big.
Also 4K requires a LOT of horsepower.
Again, beware.

When browsing and/or dragging windows around that have a big colour contrast, you will see ghosting of that window. Yes, even in general windows usage this problem can be seen.
Improving response times in the OSD menu has a negative effect on image quality.

Colour accuracy is way off, let that be known. I was hoping it would be acceptable, but it's difficult to. Especially the central point to outward to the rest of the screen (uniformity) is really bad.
When full-screening an image with a flat colour (any colour) it's difficult to make out which colour it's menat to be.
Even in the centre of the monitor in a circle of diameter 10cm, there's already colour difference.

Non-square pixels, again an issue that I was hoping it would be nothing. Yes it can be seen, and it did bother me. For me it was really obvious in ZBrush when creating a new Zsphere...it made me wonder several times if I had accidently scaled it vertically.
Annoying to say the least.

Corners of the monitor are bad, you can see a gray-ish tinge taking over in the corners.

And now for the WORST issue of them all...BURN-IN.
After 1 month of usage, perhaps 1-2hours a day, on a minimal brightness setting of 34 (i can only imagine the horror of burn-in at higher brightnesses) I JUST noticed there are burnt-in bands.
Below a picture of the phenomenon (this is a picture made with my phone and a 4 second exposure - this shows the effect really well but slightly exaggerated):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/562969/WP_20150329_22_41_20_Raw_adj.jpg

Practically the only positive think I can say about the monitor are the black levels.
When setting your brightness to 34 (recommended somwhere in this topic) black levels are quite good and makes visual with high contrast a joy to look at.
And this might seem as a HUGE positive, and on its own it is, but all the other points make this monitor a horrible choice.

I will do everything to return mine, I'll be glad to see it go.

There's a 3.5mm passthrough for the HDMI audio I believe, so that's no issue<SNIP>

Word of warning. The 3.5mm is not a pass through as such since it is analog stereo out and the audio signal in the HDMI is digital and multi-channel so the monitor will have done some signal handling. I think the 3.5mm out is properly meant as a head phone out and even though it should work as the output for a set PC-speakers as well it is not a great solution and one that doesn't really do the picture quality justice.

For the best audio quality the way forward is really to either grab the audio from a separate out on the source (usually there is a optical audio-only out for that) or to run the HDMI through a surround sound amplifier which will the handle the audio and pass on the video signal to the monitor.

Burn-in, or image persistence? Are those vertical bands there for good?
720p rips not looking good on a 40" screen is pretty obvious - I keep everything I expect to look good in 1080p, so I'm not worried about that. I've seen quantitative measurement of the input lag and it's not top of the class by any means but it's comparable to other monitors I've used in the past so again, not expecting that to be an issue, it's certainly way ahead of pretty much any TV this size.

Ghosting is something I've seen some issues with on older GPUs and 4K monitors - I had it pretty badly with my HD6970s and the UP3214Q at first, but it's not there on the GTX970 - what GPU are you using?

As for colour accuracy, did you calibrate it? TFT Central demonstrated that out of the box the colour accuracy is pretty weak, but can be calibrated to be quite good - or do you mean backlight uniformity, or viewing angle tint?

As for the 3.5mm passthrough, agreed it won't be as good as a proper device, but for a simple workaround it should do fine - if you want to retain proper pure audio quality when extracting audio from HDMI, I would always recommend using a receiver.

I agree the monitor isn't for everone. The gamma shift and non-square pixels make it a poor choice for graphics and 3D work, but these are minor issues for others. There are slow transitions from black to white as the TFT central review pointed out, and they are easily noticeable. The corners are darker on white backgrounds, but personally I think that's a fairly minor thing, and considering this panel doesn't have any issues with glow like IPS has, I'll take the darker corners and gamma shift any day. I use the monitor for it's massive contrast I love in movies and games, and for the large unified working space which means I don't have to turn my head like with my previous triple monitor system. Of course having a 40" 4K panel means you need quality sources and power for gaming, that's just something you'll have to deal with. I have a second 27" 1080p monitor to the side for lower quality content.

Below a mini-review, beware that this is my own opinion, feel free to disagree.

I've owned this monitor for little over a month, and I can't recommend it at all.
I used it for work like Photoshop, 3Ds Max, Zbrush, ...but also for gaming & movies.

For movies, this monitor is "ok". Take into account that even 720P rips will look bad on this 4K monitor.

For gaming, it's ok-ish. There IS a noticeable input lag. I came from a Dell 2410 monitor with roughly and theoretically the same input lag, but the difference is quite big.
Also 4K requires a LOT of horsepower.
Again, beware.

When browsing and/or dragging windows around that have a big colour contrast, you will see ghosting of that window. Yes, even in general windows usage this problem can be seen.
Improving response times in the OSD menu has a negative effect on image quality.

Colour accuracy is way off, let that be known. I was hoping it would be acceptable, but it's difficult to. Especially the central point to outward to the rest of the screen (uniformity) is really bad.
When full-screening an image with a flat colour (any colour) it's difficult to make out which colour it's menat to be.
Even in the centre of the monitor in a circle of diameter 10cm, there's already colour difference.

Non-square pixels, again an issue that I was hoping it would be nothing. Yes it can be seen, and it did bother me. For me it was really obvious in ZBrush when creating a new Zsphere...it made me wonder several times if I had accidently scaled it vertically.
Annoying to say the least.

Corners of the monitor are bad, you can see a gray-ish tinge taking over in the corners.

And now for the WORST issue of them all...BURN-IN.
After 1 month of usage, perhaps 1-2hours a day, on a minimal brightness setting of 34 (i can only imagine the horror of burn-in at higher brightnesses) I JUST noticed there are burnt-in bands.
Below a picture of the phenomenon (this is a picture made with my phone and a 4 second exposure - this shows the effect really well but slightly exaggerated):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/562969/WP_20150329_22_41_20_Raw_adj.jpg

Practically the only positive think I can say about the monitor are the black levels.
When setting your brightness to 34 (recommended somwhere in this topic) black levels are quite good and makes visual with high contrast a joy to look at.
And this might seem as a HUGE positive, and on its own it is, but all the other points make this monitor a horrible choice.

I will do everything to return mine, I'll be glad to see it go.

Hmm, thanks for the review.

I was considering this, but you just confirmed my choice of going with the 21:9...

It has its cons, but I these cons I can live with.

The Samsung and BENQ 32" monitors had early issues that were resolved in later revs, so I think I'm going to just order one of those. For almost 900 with tax, I don't think those issues are acceptable.

Order cancelled. (I just ordered a 32" s850 for under 500 from Amazon). Even though it's not 4k, current graphics card can power it to its fullest. I think I'll just pocket the difference and call it a day.

The issues look concerning, but this monitor has been out for months outside of the US and no one has noticed any of them?

Back