Philips BDM4065UC - 40" 4K 60Hz monitor thread

and how can anyone spent the $ on 2 x 40", and did use a mechanical keyboard? That's like saying you drive a Ferrari, but you park your Ferrari down the street because you don't have a garage

Some people don't care for mechanical keyboards, others could potentially care for mechanical keyboards, but are not interested in paying the crazy premium that is put on even the most basic features (it's a niche market), in my case for example, I have considered spending money on one, but I have yet to find a keyboard that I find worthy of spending the money on it (das keyboard 4 ultimate is the closest).

Also different people have different priorities, I have a herman miller embody chair, yet I still have a i7 920 on my computer, and a 40$ non mechanical keyboard, my case is worth more than my motherboard + cpu put together, my chair is easily worth as much as every piece of hardware on my computer put together (including this very monitor), yet for me spending the close to 2000$ of the chair, seems completely logical.

Ergotorn LX is definately well built and sturdy and comes in two flavours (desk mount/ wall mount). I have the desk mount version. I don't see the need for the tall pole version though. Had to lower mine to the lowest position on the pole, in order for the second segment (that attaches to the monitor) to maintain a high enough angle. Othwerwise the arm could hold the weight.

I'll assume that that last sentence should have read "Otherwise the arm could NOT hold the weight", but the purpose of the Tall Pole is for people who might temporarily need to raise their display higher off the desk (e.g. swinging it from one side of their desk to the other if they have a treadmill desk), but having tested this display with the Tall Pole model attached about halfway up the pole (higher than the regular pole extends), the arm does support the weight, but I did have to tighten the clamp on the underside of the desk further than I originally had in order to prevent it from keeling forward.

did they explain why an extra yr. for Canada?

Could be due to consumer protection laws up there. I know Australia for example has some pretty strong laws in that regard that can cause vendors to have different support/return/warranty policies there.

Hey guys, is the Ergotron LX Desk Mount using gas cylinder? Does it make popping noise?

Not sure if it's gas or not, but it doesn't make a popping noise.

it looks like a regular keyboard, not a mech. keyboard. Am I right?

and how can anyone spent the $ on 2 x 40", and did use a mechanical keyboard? That's like saying you drive a Ferrari, but you park your Ferrari down the street because you don't have a garage

Why are we talking about keyboards in a display thread? And who cares if the guy uses a regular keyboard? You made this same Ferrari analogy a while back with something else (I think it was using an integrated GPU with this display) and it's just as meaningless now as it was then. Not everyone cares about the different feel of a mechanical keyboard, particularly for example if they have a dedicated gaming rig on which they frequently use a gamepad/steering wheel setup, just as not everyone who buys this display will require high GPU horsepower if they don't intend to use it for gaming. Some people also want a wireless keyboard, and I haven't yet found a good mech keyboard that's wireless. Whatever the case, I would bet that this guy could afford a good mech keyboard if he wanted, but if he doesn't feel it's worth the cost, then so what? People who have money usually didn't get it by constantly buying things they're "supposed to" have based on other things they bought because they wanted them.

You've been asking tons and tons of questions for a long time in this thread, a few of them intelligent and many others not so much, and many people here such as myself have been patient with you the whole time -- but at this point I have to ask, are you actually ever going to buy this display, or are you just here to ask random questions and judge other people's setups?

Last edited:
Gah, I saw an Amazon shipping notification pop up on my phone a few minutes ago and got really excited. Turns out it was for a pair of shoes that the GF ordered. :( :p

My setup with the 4065uc. Love this monitor! Full gallery for anyone who is interested: https://imgur.com/a/SJHOx

VUwNasE.jpg

Hello all,
because I appreciated all the info I got from here I’ll give my own subjective experiences.
After a lot of research I ordered it in my own country when coolblue.be had stock & received it the next day. I was considering 34” ultra wide, Acer 28” 4k G sync & 27” ips 144hz G sync, Asus etc
Positive:
+ Easy install, no dead pixels, just set DP1.2 i.s.o. DP1.1 on the OSD to get 60hz.
+ Huge desktop space that seems too much at first but you’ll love it after a few days.
+ Nice pixel density, smaller 4k seems wasted since tekst is too small & downscaling is not nice.
+ Very deep blacks, no visible ghosting (TFT central advises against using smart respons)
+ Very good value for a real monitor (not a TV) of this size with 4k.
+ Can be an ultra wide (native res) that is still bigger than 34” ultra wide monitor for gaming. Black bars on top & bottom are so deep they seem to be part of the frame. Also easier for the GPU.
+ One GTX980 oc 4K is playable in most games. 60fps CIV5, 40(no aa) or 30(2xaa) in farcry3.
Negative issues (I can live with them & solved some):
-Some colours like red don’t “pop” like some monitors but are more natural looking.
-Viewed from higher angles colours deteriorate, so I tilted the front of the foot up with a book. They seem to stay better at lower angles so sitting down at the desk is not affected.
-Speakers are very basic, no bass & cheap sound. Using any other external speakers is recommended.
-The joystick for the OSD is not great but it works, and once it’s set up you don’t need it.
-The extra USB’s on the back are hard to reach when you place the monitor further back.
-No G sync, free sync or more than 60hz gaming but using Nvidia “adaptive V sync” works.
-You will need to take sharper pictures because wrong focus & details are magnified ;-)
-Browser: I was used to IE but Chrome seems better. Youtube 4k & scaling work better.

I’m very happy with this monitor and I highly recommend it as a general use monitor in this price range. I could not detect any other negatives mentioned here like the so called non-square pixels etc. But check that your videocard has Display port 1.2 & can display 4k 60hz, even for non gamers.

what will happen to the BDM4065uc owners here in a few years? Would we then upgrade to 50" and said the 40 is too small?

what will happen to the BDM4065uc owners here in a few years? Would we then upgrade to 50" and said the 40 is too small?

This is not a problem of few years since one can even now buy a UHD TV of whatever size 42"-105" and use it as monitor :). But the point is that when used in standard desktop monitor mode the 40" is about the biggest one can put. At least when one considers the height of the display. This results from ergonomic requirements since to avoid potential for chronic neck/back pains the display should be positioned in such a way that head is looking little bit downward, upward head position is to be strictly avoided. This means that display middle horizontal line should be well below the eye level height. From this one gets that maximum allowed display height is in the range of 20" which corresponds to 40" monitor. Of course for some people 42" might be still OK but it seems more than this is too much since one would have to keep head in an upward position.

Another issue is display width. Too wide will make problems with viewing angle close to edges and head turnings. This can be partially solved by curved display but curvature can not be too big to avoid picture distortions. It thus seems that 40" curved display width might be close to the maximum and optimal a little bit better than flat 40". Soon there will chance to check this since Samsung is bringing 40" curved UHD TV.

So in the end: no,no monitors bigger than the Holy Grail 40" :cool:.

Doesn't the fact that this monitor uses PWM for backlight brightness adjustment serve as a major drawback? I fear I will see flickering which will cause massive headaches :( Can current owners comment on this issue? Thanks much.

None of the current owners (myself included), has reported any problems with PWM, which isn't particularly surprising, since very few people seem to have problems with PWM in general.

This is not a problem of few years since one can even now buy a UHD TV of whatever size 42"-105" and use it as monitor :). But the point is that when used in standard desktop monitor mode the 40" is about the biggest one can put. At least when one considers the height of the display. This results from ergonomic requirements since to avoid potential for chronic neck/back pains the display should be positioned in such a way that head is looking little bit downward, upward head position is to be strictly avoided. This means that display middle horizontal line should be well below the eye level height. From this one gets that maximum allowed display height is in the range of 20" which corresponds to 40" monitor. Of course for some people 42" might be still OK but it seems more than this is too much since one would have to keep head in an upward position.

Another issue is display width. Too wide will make problems with viewing angle close to edges and head turnings. This can be partially solved by curved display but curvature can not be too big to avoid picture distortions. It thus seems that 40" curved display width might be close to the maximum and optimal a little bit better than flat 40". Soon there will chance to check this since Samsung is bringing 40" curved UHD TV.

So in the end: no,no monitors bigger than the Holy Grail 40" :cool:.

Even if one excludes the "this is the biggest it will be useful to get" which at this point I personally don't pay much attention too since I have seen the argument ever since the 20" (although I do agree this time), the question would still be who cares, because really regardless of size, in those typical "in a few years", better monitors will come out, not necessarily because of size (50" at 4k not that great), but because of all the other stuff, from better panels, to better refresh rate, to gsync/vsync, and to what ever other new thing that comes along, anyone buying a monitor expecting it to still be the greatest thing "in a few years", is either a fool, or has a detailed timeline to the end of mankind.

Even if one excludes the "this is the biggest it will be useful to get" which at this point I personally don't pay much attention too since I have seen the argument ever since the 20" (although I do agree this time)...

This is why I put argument that the previous moanings about "too big 20" monitors" were not the in the same boat with the 40". Simply put, the 40" monitor fills the completely visual space at "single look", that is accessible without turning head into more or less awkward positions.Thus, monitor in the 40" range is end of the road as regards the size.

...the question would still be who cares, because really regardless of size, in those typical "in a few years", better monitors will come out, not necessarily because of size (50" at 4k not that great), but because of all the other stuff, from better panels, to better refresh rate, to gsync/vsync, and to what ever other new thing that comes along, anyone buying a monitor expecting it to still be the greatest thing "in a few years", is either a fool, or has a detailed timeline to the end of mankind.

Now we are reaching the size limit, regarding other parameters there is still room for improvement. But this improvement will not be as spectacular as the size increase. For example one can increase resolution of the 40" to 5K or 8K but visual effect is minor. For somebody buying good 40" (curved) monitor there will be little evidence to change the monitor long in the future.

50" at 4K wouldn't be great, but 50" at 5K would yield a similar DPI

Definitely, but 5k is going to have it's fair share of problems, unless something major changes in the new few years (what ever that is), 4k will be the norm, so 5k will likely only really be useful for work, at least in the foreseeable future,

This is why I put argument that the previous moanings about "too big 20" monitors" were not the in the same boat with the 40". Simply put, the 40" monitor fills the completely visual space at "single look", that is accessible without turning head into more or less awkward positions.Thus, monitor in the 40" range is end of the road as regards the size.

Now we are reaching the size limit, regarding other parameters there is still room for improvement. But this improvement will not be as spectacular as the size increase. For example one can increase resolution of the 40" to 5K or 8K but visual effect is minor. For somebody buying good 40" (curved) monitor there will be little evidence to change the monitor long in the future.

Sure and as I said it's a point that this time I agree, but one also needs to think of the distance, and future scaling options and all that, which will likely end up making a 50" usable, even if it's at a larger distance from the user, and OFC the having to move the head is not necessarily an awful thing, it sucks if you are watching movies and or playing games, but if you're working one could argue that it's a minor annoyance to possibly bigger benefits.

As for the other improvements not being as spectacular is all highly debatable, there are quite a few people that would (and do) take 144hz over a larger monitor with an increased resolution, same with gsync/vsync.

Anyway don't take this the wrong way, I definitely think that anyone buying this monitor will be pleased with it, for quite a long time, personally I have no intentions of changing it anytime soon, and if I do it will very likely not be for a bigger screen.

This screen is so big! I was playing starcraft 2 today and my ally was building a terran supply depot, but I thought it was a bunker or a barracks becuase it's just so big on this screen, lol :p

Even if we assume that something larger than 40" is usable as a display (which is unlikely), what happened to people who bought 24" displays when 30" displays came out? What happened to people who bought GTX 800 series GPUs when the 900 series came out? What kind of a question is this??

The owners will either upgrade and keep/sell/give away their current display, or they won't.

Doesn't the fact that this monitor uses PWM for backlight brightness adjustment serve as a major drawback? I fear I will see flickering which will cause massive headaches :( Can current owners comment on this issue? Thanks much.

Not all PWM is the same. My HP Z30i IPS uses PWM, but the freq is so high, I don't see anything and I'm extremely sensitive to stuff like that.

Even if we assume that something larger than 40" is usable as a display (which is unlikely), what happened to people who bought 24" displays when 30" displays came out? What happened to people who bought GTX 800 series GPUs when the 900 series came out? What kind of a question is this??

The owners will either upgrade and keep/sell/give away their current display, or they won't.

:) I think you take the question to literally.

I for one don't think we will stop at 40" as long as display quality ie. resolution, viewing angles and so on keeps improving and prices keeps coming down then going past 40" will make sense for many situations.

I see it just like having a big desk vs. a medium size or even a small one. With a big desk there is simply room for more and in many situations it can be an advantage - the same thing is true for monitors. It may be that monitors doesn't really get much taller than a 40" 16:9, but who is to say that an 80" 32:9 or something would not be a good thing and if it is affordable some will get it (just as we see people putting two 40" next to each other).

Also on the "what happened to people who bought 24" displays when 30" displays came out?" thing. Not that it matters for the point you make, but I think that 30" 2560x1600 may actually have been out before 24" monitors. I'm not sure, but I remember sitting with 30" ones that replaced 21" CRT's (that ran 2048*1536) and that those with non-CRT's mostly had like 17" or maybe 20" monitors.

..., but one also needs to think of the distance, and future scaling options and all that, which will likely end up making a 50" usable, even if it's at a larger distance from the user, ...

It is not the same having monitor on a desk and much bigger display at larger distance. This is due to psychology: Monitor is personal usage scenario meaning that it is in personal space (personal space: think e.g. about distance which standing people keep when having conversation). Big display at larger distance feel being in public space. Personal space on desktop is limited more or less to the 40" monitor size.

It may be that monitors doesn't really get much taller than a 40" 16:9, but who is to say that an 80" 32:9 or something would not be a good thing and if it is affordable some will get it (just as we see people putting two 40" next to each other).

Indeed one can think about widely stretched monitors substituting for the present multimonitor setups. But there is big problem: such monitors would have to curved and the question is about curvature which is not creating visible distortions. This means curvature would have to constant, that is panel has circular shape, what could be the radius of the circle which makes still invisible distortions? Current curved TVs have very mild curvature, with radius of 120". For a widely stretched desktop monitor the radius would have to be much smaller but then distortions would be visible. Thus, it can be that widely stretched curved monitors are not practical.

I just don't see the point of going to a 50" and then moving further back so that it's not so overwhelming and you don't have the viewing angle problems. By that logic, why not stick with a 32" and just move closer so that it fills your field of vision? My desk isn't conducive to using the mouse and keyboard several feet away from the screen. I could make it work, sure, but good grief I think (for me, at least) 40" is about as big as I want to go for a PC monitor.

Now if I had to use a TV that doubled as my monitor, sure. I'm a guy, so I want the biggest TV I can get! In that case I could see using a gigantic 70-80" HDTV and modifying my setup so that when I was using it with my PC I could sit pretty far away from it. But for the past several years I have been using dedicated monitors and watching TV in other rooms, so the 40" should be all I need for the foreseeable future.

It is not the same having monitor on a desk and much bigger display at larger distance. This is due to psychology: Monitor is personal usage scenario meaning that it is in personal space (personal space: think e.g. about distance which standing people keep when having conversation). Big display at larger distance feel being in public space. Personal space on desktop is limited more or less to the 40" monitor size.

Maybe it's just be me, but I have no psychological problems with using a monitor in a non personal usage scenario, in fact my 40" is very much being used for work, in a desk that doesn't give the feel of personal space, 50" could and would very likely fill a work role, there are quite a few jobs that can benefit from the increased real state and resolution that this would allow.

I just don't see the point of going to a 50" and then moving further back so that it's not so overwhelming and you don't have the viewing angle problems. By that logic, why not stick with a 32" and just move closer so that it fills your field of vision?

Among other possible problems with such a setup up (which would never be equal to a 50"), there is the resolution problem.

Among other possible problems with such a setup up (which would never be equal to a 50"), there is the resolution problem.

What resolution problem? They already make 32" 4K monitors, so I assume that 5K is coming and even higher resolutions would be possible.

Or did I misunderstand? :confused:

The PPI on those things currently creates problems, which OFC may or may not be a problem in the future.

:) I think you take the question to literally.

I for one don't think we will stop at 40" as long as display quality ie. resolution, viewing angles and so on keeps improving and prices keeps coming down then going past 40" will make sense for many situations.

I see it just like having a big desk vs. a medium size or even a small one. With a big desk there is simply room for more and in many situations it can be an advantage - the same thing is true for monitors. It may be that monitors doesn't really get much taller than a 40" 16:9, but who is to say that an 80" 32:9 or something would not be a good thing and if it is affordable some will get it (just as we see people putting two 40" next to each other).

I don't think he took it too literally at all. This thread has devolved into far too much one-upsmanship and off-topic posts, mostly from a handful of new users with no intention of buying the display.

Two monitors? Why not three? Why not twenty? :rolleyes:

Many of us have already used displays much larger than this, and as many explained, the benefits as a monitor go down due to increased viewing distance. This applies to both screen size and resolution.

Here's my 150" projector screen:
vQZNwcZ.jpg

Unless you want to turn your head 90 degrees every time you move across your desktop, sitting at a far distance is the only way to fit one into your field of vision.
An 80" monitor is a complete waste of money at any aspect ratio, as are more than two of the Phillips. Just get a 1080p/4k projector and call it a day.

Now can we please get back to the topic monitor, and US availability?

Also on the "what happened to people who bought 24" displays when 30" displays came out?" thing. Not that it matters for the point you make, but I think that 30" 2560x1600 may actually have been out before 24" monitors. I'm not sure, but I remember sitting with 30" ones that replaced 21" CRT's (that ran 2048*1536) and that those with non-CRT's mostly had like 17" or maybe 20" monitors.

I think the only way to make displays much larger than 40" feasible is if you're sitting in a rolling chair and have either multiple keyboards and mice spanning your desk or have some sort of apparatus on your chair that allows you to take them with you as you roll around. That would allow you to go as big as your desk/wall could handle and reduce or eliminate the off-angle viewing issue, but obviously at the cost of not being able to see the entire display area at once. But hey, maybe that's acceptable for certain use cases.

I can't remember which display came first. I bought a Dell 2405FPW when it first came out, but I don't remember whether the 30" Apple Cinema Display came first or not. Ancient history. :p

Yes, this is it.. No point in waiting, otherwise we would have to wait ~5 years for the perfect 39" 4k curved OLED 144Hz free/g-sync monitor with a reasonable price tag..

Such will be our next monitor, in 5 years, but for now... :)

I hope it will be less than 5 years, but you're right. It won't be out in a year. Maybe two years if Philips shows interest in it.

looks like I will be selling mine once the Acer Predator XR341CK comes out....40" is great but I want the immersion in my space sims.......

Been fooling around with mine today. The original stand is crap. It tilts the monitor annoyingly far back, and you can't turn the screen.

Real estate is nice, will take some getting used to :) But I do need another stand.

According to the Ergotron website, the Neo Flex Widescreen stands can tilt and turn a monitor. But the picture makes it hard to imagine how it would turn.

Can any of you owners chime in and tell me if the stand rotates in its entirety or just the central column?

Quick shots off my phone, I'll try to get better pictures with my real camera once my desk is setup completely.

Old eyefinity setup:

DSC03828_zpse5d96f9a.jpg

New 4065UC:

IMG_20150310_225216nopm_zpszxufrd85.jpg

New desk (also running custom resolution of 3840x1650):

IMG_20150316_221011nopm_zpsuvczvhqa.jpg

I don't think he took it too literally at all. This thread has devolved into far too much one-upsmanship and off-topic posts, mostly from a handful of new users with no intention of buying the display.
I'm not sure if that was a dig at me, but it can't be since I have one ordered;) In fact mine should have been here today, but the delivery date has been pushed to the 26th - it seems that demand and supply is an issue on this side of the pond as well:(

<SNIP>

An 80" monitor is a complete waste of money at any aspect ratio, as are more than two of the Phillips. Just get a 1080p/4k projector and call it a day.

I disagree, but that is because I am not think about having a screen that just fills my field of vision. As screens becomes cheap enough then I can see no problem in having one where I might move a little to focus on a different part of said monster big screen, just like I might use my desk for multiple tasks (or storage for piles of stuff at other times).

Now back to the Philips while I don't have a specific suggestion on where to buy I think that considering the high US$ exchange rate buying from a place in the EU could be an option. Shipping will cost some $, but it should not be too bad.

Here is a price check for shops in the UK:
http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/pli/25-3044259/Monitors/Philips-BDM4065UC-Compare-Prices

And one for shops in Germany:
http://www.guenstiger.de/Produkt/Philips/BDM4065UC.html

I'm starting to figure out how to get one of these finally. Does anyone have any idea how long it will take Amazon to actually stock them? Otherwise how difficult would it be to purchase one from the links that you just posted above me?

Thanks!

None of the current owners (myself included), has reported any problems with PWM, which isn't particularly surprising, since very few people seem to have problems with PWM in general.

but at What brightness though? You guys can't say the above w/o stating the brightness level that you set it at.

Two monitors? Why not three? Why not twenty? :rolleyes:

Many of us have already used displays much larger than this, and as many explained, the benefits as a monitor go down due to increased viewing distance. This applies to both screen size and resolution.

Here's my 150" projector screen:
vQZNwcZ.jpg

Unless you want to turn your head 90 degrees every time you move across your desktop, sitting at a far distance is the only way to fit one into your field of vision.

Now can we please get back to the topic monitor, and US availability?

I get it. But lets face it even the brightest projectors within reasonable reach money wise are terrible for PQ in a semi bright room. The lamps have to be replaced constantly (I leave my displays on quite a bit) and the heat output is enough to replace a space heater. There are PLENTY of downsides with projectors. If you can't control your room lighting easily its just not practical. Now with a heavily light controlled room projectors can be amazing. But most people I know simply don't have a room they can dedicate to this purpose.

Plus a 4K projector? Starting at what? $7,000?

Projectors will always have the same pitfalls (bulb replacement could be eliminated with newer laser tech though and lessened with LED bulbs that last 100,000 hours versus 3000 at 75 percent brightness).

Last edited:
Anyway don't take this the wrong way, I definitely think that anyone buying this monitor will be pleased with it, for quite a long time, personally I have no intentions of changing it anytime soon, and if I do it will very likely not be for a bigger screen.

I said those exact same words when I switch from 14" to 20"

from 20" to 2 x 20"

from 20" to 2 x 30"

Continuing general discussions not related to the topic of this thread is indeed not good, greatly disturbing to people looking for information on the specific monitor in question.

The discussions should stop here but they can be continued in the thread Using big displays as monitors.

Back