Philips BDM4065UC - 40" 4K 60Hz monitor thread

I can directly get one in Korea for about $690..

I'm seriously torn.. haha.

Will probably try to wait out for the next big thing,

but the price point is spot on.

No, I'm saying the older televisions are the problem. The first generation HDMI 2.0 chips do not support enough bandwidth to drive 4k60 at 4:4:4.
This, and mediocre input latencies, are why people aren't buying the 2014 LG/Panasonic/Samsung TVs. We've moved onto the 2015 JU series (and displayport-based screens like the Phillips). :cool:

Am I right this is only 2015 hope since the 40" JU series remains yet untested regarding its performance as monitor? :confused:

Am I right this is only 2015 hope since the 40" JU series remains yet untested regarding its performance as monitor? :confused:

We will know for sure about the JU series in a week or two, when concrete measurements start coming out. I'd say 2015 has plenty more in store, LG has yet to announce their competing series.

This Phillips is still an excellent buy, and with US stock coming in the same timeframe, that's how long I'm waiting. Maybe DHL smashing mine will turn out to be a blessing in disguise :D

IT IS IN STOCK. Eventhough the website says not available until Apr. 23. I call amazon customer service, I was asking that amazon employee on cancellation process if I can buy it locally, and that employee says looking at the inventory, it shows it is IN STOCK. So I say how come it says "usually ship in 1 to 3 months".

He doesn't really have a good answer on that, but it is in stock, so I place my order and I'll see when it will arrive. He can't tell me which warehouse it is coming from

I can guarantee it's not in stock. I ordered one too. Go by the website.

Hey everyone. I've been following this thread from day 1 and the time has finally come to place an order through Amazon!

One thing I couldn't find on Amazon, or on Philips' site, or anywhere, was legitimate info on the USA warranty coverage of this monitor. Granted there was none before, but now that it's "official" in the US, there should be info... I was debating buying a squaretrade, but didn't want to if Philips was providing a reasonable warranty on their own.

So anyway, I called the warranty support number in the back of the user's manual (877)835-1838 and was told that this monitor carries a 3-yr service/parts/labor/exchange warranty in the US, and a 4-yr service/part/labor (but no exchange) warranty in Canada. So if you're up north, you get an extra year of coverage but they'll only repair it, not replace it. The support person confirmed that the monitor was recently released in the US, we talked about how I'd been waiting months for this because I didn't want to risk importing one.

Hopefully this info is helpful to some of you on the fence. I know I was torn over the squaretrade option given all the conflicting info about Philips not willing to support this in the US, but if this support person is to be believed, that should no longer be an issue.

Yeah, if it was truly in stock then A) chances are we'd have heard about the US release by now and B) there's no reason that Amazon would have them sitting in their warehouse and not ship them for 1-3 months after ordering.

Not only that, but when at item is in stock at Amazon, the product page says "In Stock" where the page for the Philips does not. See the difference:

Mine does not say "free prime shipping when in stock". I just got normal free shipping. Do you have Prime?

Mine just came in and is sitting in a corner of the room, still packed, taunting me :mad: Just my luck to be on duty this weekend.

I probably will want to get a lifting stand to lower the monitor.

Without having to re-read the 100+ pages of this thread - can anyone give me advice? Is the consensus that the ERGOTRON Neo-Flex Wide Screen LCD Lift Stand is the best for this monitor?

What backplate adapter for 200 VESA did you guys use?

Thanks!

Clearly it will be a while before any kind of reasonable amount will buy you a 4K OLED monitor be it flat, curved or both so for now it seems the Phillips is the way to go - at least that is my bet.

There is now another emerging option of Samsung curved 40" 4K. It is a TV coming any time now and it usefulness as monitor has to be tested yet but fact is that Samsung has the curved 40" LCD panel which might easily be made into a genuine 40" monitor. It is thus very likely there will soon be a choice between the flat and curved 40" 4K. Bendable monitors are the next fantasy items though I tend to think that fixed curved will be my end of the road in the quest for ultimate monitor :D.

Without having to re-read the 100+ pages of this thread - can anyone give me advice? Is the consensus that the ERGOTRON Neo-Flex Wide Screen LCD Lift Stand is the best for this monitor?
I think the most recommended one is Ergotron LX Desk Mount LCD Arm, Tall Pole.

Looks like the monitor's response time can be lowered by using "SmartResponse," but I assume there's a downside to this. Would anyone know what that caveat might be?

The Ergotron LX Desk Mount LCD Arm is an arm, not a stand. I can't fix this to the desk here. But thanks for the tip, I might want one of these at work :)

From the description on Ergotron's website the Neo-Flex Wide Screen LCD Lift Stand has included adapter arms for 200mm VESA. Has anyone used these or is it better to opt for a full adapter plate?

I think the most recommended one is Ergotron LX Desk Mount LCD Arm, Tall Pole.

Ergotorn LX is definately well built and sturdy and comes in two flavours (desk mount/ wall mount). I have the desk mount version. I don't see the need for the tall pole version though. Had to lower mine to the lowest position on the pole, in order for the second segment (that attaches to the monitor) to maintain a high enough angle. Othwerwise the arm could hold the weight.

34efhh1.jpg

i73mro.jpg

sorry for the poor quality of the images, illustrates however what I mean. Guess it looks floating higher than it really is (actually just abount 3-4 cm over my desk).

So anyway, I called the warranty support number in the back of the user's manual (877)835-1838 and was told that this monitor carries a 3-yr service/parts/labor/exchange warranty in the US, and a 4-yr service/part/labor (but no exchange) warranty in Canada. So if you're up north, you get an extra year of coverage but they'll only repair it, not replace it. The support person confirmed that the monitor was recently released in the US, we talked about how I'd been waiting months for this because I didn't want to risk importing one.

Hopefully this info is helpful to some of you on the fence. I know I was torn over the squaretrade option given all the conflicting info about Philips not willing to support this in the US, but if this support person is to be believed, that should no longer be an issue.

Thanks for this. Made my decision to buy the Phillips over the Seiki.
The Seiki only carries a 1 year warranty.

Wow, just saw this. Wish I had seen it sooner, just spent a bunch of money on other things :( Drat.

Hey everyone. I've been following this thread from day 1 and the time has finally come to place an order through Amazon!

One thing I couldn't find on Amazon, or on Philips' site, or anywhere, was legitimate info on the USA warranty coverage of this monitor. Granted there was none before, but now that it's "official" in the US, there should be info... I was debating buying a squaretrade, but didn't want to if Philips was providing a reasonable warranty on their own.

did they explain why an extra yr. for Canada?

What GPU is he using to drive them? I've considered this dual setup but don't think my single 980 will handle them for gaming.

^it begs for adding the third one :D.

Funny how you were so staunch about ergonomics a couple days ago, when a third one would be impossible to see without head turning. That or sitting across the room.

it looks like a regular keyboard, not a mech. keyboard. Am I right?

It's a Logitech UltraX rubber dome keyboard. Not sure what that has to do with the screens, though :confused:

What GPU is he using to drive them? I've considered this dual setup but don't think my single 980 will handle them for gaming.

I'm not sure, I found a post from last year where he wrote that he is testing EVGA SC GTX 970 SLI, so he probably is still using 2 x 970.

I cant read the entire thread, somebody answer these plz:

HDMI 2.0?

60hz at 4k res?

Input Lag? 2, 3, 4 frames?

did they explain why an extra yr. for Canada?

They did not, and I didn't ask. The support guy asked me whether I was in the US, I said yes, and he told me the US warranty. He went on to say "the reason I asked where you were is because in Canada..."

I assume the extra year is a trade off for the lack of exchange/replacement coverage. In Canada (so I was told) Philips will only repair the monitor under warranty. I don't know what that means if they're unable to repair it, and replacement is the only option? I'm not familiar with Canadian warranties and whether this sounds normal? I'd like to think a good company would just replace the thing, or there'd be some kind of "lemon law" after repeated repair failures, but someone up north would have to chime in.

To be honest, I was just happy the guy knew what monitor I was talking about, didn't say "that model number's not in my system" or "that monitor isn't covered in the US" etc. :D

The guy that posted the pics actually bought 3, but he found dual setup too much, so he did not want to bother adding a third one.

Gaming on this setup looks odd with the monitor edges exactly in the center. So either 3x40"@4K setup or waiting for a 72" 32:9 curved monitor :D.

Sorry, but that is the dumbest setup ever. The bezel goes right through your character. How can anyone put up with that?

1- i wish i could afford being that stupid:rolleyes:

2-so what? he/she is gaming at SEX-TEEN MEEE-LEEE-ONS pixels!:cool:

3- the contrast advantage of this monitor shows its power on those screenshots:D

Sorry, but that is the dumbest setup ever. The bezel goes right through your character. How can anyone put up with that?

and how can anyone spent the $ on 2 x 40", and did use a mechanical keyboard? That's like saying you drive a Ferrari, but you park your Ferrari down the street because you don't have a garage

and how can anyone spent the $ on 2 x 40", and did use a mechanical keyboard? That's like saying you drive a Ferrari, but you park your Ferrari down the street because you don't have a garage

Honestly I have no idea what you are trying to say here.

Back