Philips BDM4065UC - 40" 4K 60Hz monitor thread

If you can't give up 144 Hz, there's always this coming out: http://www.pcgamer.com/acer-unveil-super-quick-144hz-g-sync-ips-monitor/

Or this, assuming it's IPS:

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/acer-predator-xr341ck-34-curved-gaming-screen-with-g-sync.html

Lasorous, yes I would recommend the Philips over the Swift IF you value image quality over 144Hz and fast response times and IF you are sure that a 40" monitor won't be too large for you. Is a huge 4K monitor something that you want, or do you just want something that offers better image quality than your Swift? If it's the latter, you have a ton of great choices!

There are several 32" 4K and non-4K monitors that would offer better image quality than your Swift, and any of those would still be a decent upgrade in size from your 27". Then there are the 34" 21:9 ultrawide displays, any of which would also be an upgrade in terms of size and image quality.

One other thing to keep in mind: understand that the stand on the Philips is very limited and you will be well advised to purchase a desk mount arm or some type of wall mount for it. So to get the best experience with the Philips, plan on including that in your purchase at some point.

$930 shipped to the USA on ebay now.

Wow, that's awesome. I wonder why the sudden $200 drop? Not that I'm complaining.

It's funny because I wrote two of those S. Korean sellers a while back and they acted like $1199 shipped was the best they could do. It would seem that there was a little more room to move than what they let on. Glad I didn't bite.

This brings the price more in line with Overclockers UK, though they are still out of stock ATM. At this point I can't imagine trying to go through Taobao just to save a little bit of money, especially after the experience that jphughan had.

Part of me hopes that those eBay sellers dropped the price because they know that a US release is coming soon and they know they won't be able to milk that premium for much longer...but I haven't heard any indications of that so it's probably just wishful thinking.

Does anyone know the import duties for this monitor if it was bought on Ebay from a korean seller and shipped to US?

Yes, the VESA mounting holes on the back are M4-sized, which is apparently odd since typically 200x200 patterns use M6 holes, but there you have it.

Yes, the MX comes with M4 bolts that are long enough to support the display. However:

- The MX won't by itself support a 200x200 display such as this one, so you'll need an adapter plate. That plate will need to come with mounting hardware (bolts and nuts) to allow you to attach the plate to the Ergotron, or you'll need to get appropriately sized bolts and nuts from a hardware store. I used the Mount World 1056 adapter plate available on Amazon, which comes with countersunk screws that sit flush with the plate to provide a flat surface on which to mount the display.

- Unlike the LX, the MX does not have a depth adjustment arm. This means that to bring the display forward or push it back, you'll also be moving it from side to side, which may be frustrating and will definitely limit the exact mount location for the Ergotron on your desk.

- The MX's vertical travel seems very limited. Looking at the Dimensional Illustration, it appears that at its max height, the center of the mount plate will be 10" off the deck. This display's center is just about 10" from the bottom, so the MX will either barely not work at all or you'll ONLY be able to have it resting on the deck, not suspended a few inches higher in case you want to squeeze anything under it (small speakers, USB hub, whatever). The LX, particularly the Tall Pole version, would be a better match for this display.

thx

Does anyone know the import duties for this monitor if it was bought on Ebay from a korean seller and shipped to US?

whenever there is a "Or best offer", that means their price is high and you can easily bargain.

But what if it arrives w/ dead pixel? You are not going to wait for amazon?

Part of me hopes that those eBay sellers dropped the price because they know that a US release is coming soon and they know they won't be able to milk that premium for much longer...but I haven't heard any indications of that so it's probably just wishful thinking.

Doubt it, it's far more likely that it is happening because Europe is receiving stock, Germany seems to have quite a few of them now, amazon uk also received some, so in general if you are in Europe you now can once again get this monitor.

I searched ebay for BDM4065UC but the closest thing I find is a Philips 4065UC from South Korean sellers. The monitors seems identical but am I missing something? Why the different model number? Specs-wise are they the same? any information on this issue would be great. Also, I'd appreciate it very much if you have any information on where can I buy the monitor from in the US other than the SK sellers on ebay?

Doubt it, it's far more likely that it is happening because Europe is receiving stock, Germany seems to have quite a few of them now, amazon uk also received some, so in general if you are in Europe you now can once again get this monitor.

I see. I'm happy for them!

Now there is one S. Korean seller who has this for $899 with free shipping on eBay. How much lower will they go? :D There's been a bit of a price war going on for some time now, with the sellers taking turns trying to provide a slightly better price than the rest...

I searched ebay for BDM4065UC but the closest thing I find is a Philips 4065UC from South Korean sellers. The monitors seems identical but am I missing something? Why the different model number? Specs-wise are they the same? any information on this issue would be great. Also, I'd appreciate it very much if you have any information on where can I buy the monitor from in the US other than the SK sellers on ebay?

It's the same monitor.

As far as US buyers, there have been three main options so far:

• eBay
  • Overclockers UK (currently OOS)
  • Taobao (the most convoluted method but was pretty much the only option in the beginning)

I see. I'm happy for them!

Now there is one S. Korean seller who has this for $899 with free shipping on eBay. How much lower will they go? :D There's been a bit of a price war going on for some time now, with the sellers taking turns trying to provide a slightly better price than the rest...

It's the same monitor.

As far as US buyers, there have been three main options so far:

• eBay
  • Overclockers UK (currently OOS)
  • Taobao (the most convoluted method but was pretty much the only option in the beginning)

Thank you for your response. Do you know if you have to pay any customs/ duties for monitor if bought off ebay or OC UK? Thanks again

Wow, I have not been paying attention to monitors for a while. This looks like what I have been waiting for to replace my ZR30w. The current 34" 4k screens were not doing it for me. Only wish this bad boy was curved.

Caseking.de are partners with overclock.co.uk and they have it in stock and with a better price, so if I had to bet they probably also ship the monitor to the US.

Caseking.de are partners with overclock.co.uk and they have it in stock and with a better price, so if I had to bet they probably also ship the monitor to the US.

They don't even have it listed there. Where are you getting this information from???

Yes you will have to pay custom fees, and possibly handling fees from the company that handles the transport, if you want to have some idea of the costs you might try and ask jphughan since he has imported on from the united kingdom, and the costs should be relatively similar to what you will get.

Thank you. That's odd, I don't know why they it have listed under "ab 66,0 cm (26")" monitors. I've looked under "4K / Ultra HD Monitore" and it was not listed there. Now, does anybody know know if you have to pay any customs fees/duties on the monitor if bought off ebay from south Korea, OC UK, or CaseKing DE?

I just emailed one of the sellers asking about customs/duties, if they are covered under the free shipping.

I don't think free shipping has to do with anything. The seller doesn't even collect that fee, it's the government. But, maybe he has an idea as to how much it is. Thank you.

I don't think free shipping has to do with anything. The seller doesn't even collect that fee, it's the government. But, maybe he has an idea as to how much it is. Thank you.

Right, I understand. I just wanted to word it in a way that would get me a clear answer. lol.

That being said, everything I have bought from China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, I never had to pay customs or duties. Not sure if Korea will be the same.

When I bought my QNIX monitors, I got a bill for around $40 a couple months later. That was for 3 monitors. People that only bought a single monitor were being charged closer to $20, I believe.

Does anyone know if I can run a custom resolution with CRU or something similar, to get 21:9 aspect ratio with black bars top and bottom, no stretching of the image?

I want the FOV of the 34" ultra wide, but I want the image quality of the Philips 40" 4K.

Thank you for your response. Do you know if you have to pay any customs/ duties for monitor if bought off ebay or OC UK? Thanks again

When I bought through OCUK and arranged DHL shipping (the only option), I did not pay any customs fees; I paid only what I paid OCUK (VAT was correctly excluded from the sale price automatically) plus a small currency conversion fee charged by my credit card company on the transaction. According to the tracking info, DHL electronically cleared the display through Customs while it was in the air between London and New York, and it sailed through that whole process in a matter of hours after it actually landed. If DHL paid any customs fees, they didn't pass those costs on to me. From what I've read though, if you use a shipper that hands the package off to USPS once it reaches the US, then you're more likely to have to pay customs fees and you'll also probably have to go to the Post Office to pick it up, whereas DHL brought it right to my door.

But for what it's worth, if you use a Duty Calculator site, you'll find that the customs fee on a computer display like this imported from the UK is something like $35, so even if it's passed on to you, it's not outrageous -- unlike return shipping to the UK would've been....

When I bought my QNIX monitors, I got a bill for around $40 a couple months later. That was for 3 monitors. People that only bought a single monitor were being charged closer to $20, I believe.

Hmm, I guess I may yet get a bill then... we'll see.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if I can run a custom resolution with CRU or something similar, to get 21:9 aspect ratio with black bars top and bottom, no stretching of the image?

I want the FOV of the 34" ultra wide, but I want the image quality of the Philips 40" 4K.

Hi mate, yes you can.
I use a custom resolution of 3840x1607 21:9 aspect ratio with no rescaling and games look gorgeous with this res.

The great thing is the blacks are so deep on this monitor that you don't even notice the black bars even playing in the dark.

Like you, this is why I saw no point in buying a 21:9 34" monitor at the same price with IPS glow and smaller display size :)

Here is how it looks like (sorry for the bad quality picture, I took it with my phone):

Hi mate, yes you can.
I use a custom resolution of 3840x1607 21:9 aspect ratio with no rescaling and games look gorgeous with this res.

The great thing is the blacks are so deep on this monitor that you don't even notice the black bars even playing in the dark.

Like you, this is why I saw no point in buying a 21:9 34" monitor at the same price with IPS glow and smaller display size :)

Here is how it looks like (sorry for the bad quality picture, I took it with my phone):

You are my HERO!

Thank you for this post. I guess I know which monitor I'm buying now. :D

This monitor is absolutely stunning in every game I play... the picture is so crisp in 4K and it's so huge that the immersion is perfect! You will love it ;)

Hi mate, yes you can.

Is there a reason for using this resolution? Higher frame rate or to remove some stuttering?

Higher frame rate is the most likely reason since it's considerably less demanding than the full 4k resolution.

Got the display a couple days ago. Backlight is significantly dimmer in the corners. This doesn't seem to get better the further I am away from the display. Is this normal?

Will return it if someone can confirm that this is abnormal, I haven't seen any complaints about this on this thread so far. The panel is pretty solid in all other regards though.

Got the display a couple days ago. Backlight is significantly dimmer in the corners. This doesn't seem to get better the further I am away from the display. Is this normal?

Will return it if someone can confirm that this is abnormal, I haven't seen any complaints about this on this thread so far. The panel is pretty solid in all other regards though.

There is some slight dimming on the corners (dimmer) yes and this is a VA monitor. Most if not all IPS monitors have light-bleed in the corners (brighter) so it's almost like choosing the lesser of 2 evils. Yet again, the Philips VA is still the better option due to the inky blacks IPS cannot make.

Is there a reason for using this resolution? Higher frame rate or to remove some stuttering?

Actually, my framerate goes up around 35% (from 27.2 to 36.8 average FPS in Heaven Valley Benchmark and similar results in games).
But this is not the only thing, you gain extra side view in every game. This means that you don't lose any picture part in the vertical image, but your eyes see more things to the left and right... it really looks great for FPS games.

For the dimming effect in the corners, I noticed it is reduced when using SmartUniformity mode on the monitor. You use the calibrated profile from TFT Central with it and image is absolutely perfect. You just have to boost the brightness a bit more to around 58/60 instead of 38/40 but since the monitor uses PWM, the higher the brightness is, the lower chance you will see any flickering or get eye strain (if any anyway). With this mode and color profile you get an average Delta E of 0.7 and 2.2 gamma with still amazing blacks and contrast! ;)

Last edited:
Got the monitor yesterday, ordered it from germany. It's fantasic! It's HUGE!

It was already spoken of in this thread but I cannot find it.

The whole monitor lights up blue with a philips logo, it's intensely bright, especially turning it on at night. Is there a way to disable that start logo?

Also a question about the logo at the button of the monitor. I want to put the monitor flat against the desk with a mount arm, would it be alright to remove that logo at the buttom?

You just have to boost the brightness a bit more to around 58/60 instead of 38/40 but since the monitor uses PWM, the higher the brightness is, the lower chance you will see any flickering or get eye strain (if any anyway)

Not how pwm works in this monitor, basically you need to boost brightness to 100 to not get pwm, everything bellow 100 is the same pwm, so 40 or 60 is exactly the same in that regard.

As I understand it, 40 will use a lower pulse rate for PWM than 60 making it "flicker" more or possibly worse if you are PWM sensitive... this is what I meant

As I understand it, 40 will use a lower pulse rate for PWM than 60 making it "flicker" more or possibly worse if you are PWM sensitive... this is what I meant

It always uses a 240Hz frequency below 100 brightness. The duty cycle changes though, so that is to say the backlight is on more at higher brightness than lower brightness.

Got the monitor yesterday, ordered it from germany. It's fantasic! It's HUGE!

It was already spoken of in this thread but I cannot find it.

The whole monitor lights up blue with a philips logo, it's intensely bright, especially turning it on at night. Is there a way to disable that start logo?

Also a question about the logo at the button of the monitor. I want to put the monitor flat against the desk with a mount arm, would it be alright to remove that logo at the buttom?

The TFT Central review said there was a hidden factory menu that could be accessed, but in the brief time I played with it, I couldn't gain access to it by following their steps. However, the screenshot of said menu has a "Show Logo" option, which I'm betting pertains to that splash screen, so that's probably what you want.

As for the logo plate on the bottom, if memory serves, that plate is glued onto the bottom bezel trim, so you would have a tough time removing it without risking damage to the rest of the display. There's also an LED and associated wiring in that plate area for the power indicator, so you'd have to do something with that too. But if you're using an ergo arm, that plate isn't going to add much to the height of the display, nor does its presence matter from a load bearing perspective since the display will be using the ergo arm for support rather than the tabletop (assuming the arm is rated for the weight of the display), so I wouldn't bother with that plate.

Last edited:
Not how pwm works in this monitor, basically you need to boost brightness to 100 to not get pwm, everything bellow 100 is the same pwm, so 40 or 60 is exactly the same in that regard.

It always uses a 240Hz frequency below 100 brightness. The duty cycle changes though, so that is to say the backlight is on more at higher brightness than lower brightness.

PWM at 40 or 60 would indeed both use a 240 Hz interval, but that just means that the backlight is told to power on at the same interval. The difference is that in the latter setting, the backlight stays on for a greater percentage of the time between those intervals, so I would imagine that the effects of PWM would (theoretically, at least) be more noticeable at lower settings since the backlight is spending more time powered off in those settings.

But once again, we have yet to see a complaint from an owner regarding eye fatigue or headaches, fwiw.

Back