Philips BDM4065UC - 40" 4K 60Hz monitor thread

Massdrop just brought back the Ergotron Freedom arm for $66.99 + shipping and I was excited that it might be a workable option for this display. Unfortunately it appears to have a maximum monitor weight of 8.07 kg which is just shy of this display's weight, so it would appear that the Ergotron LX tall pole setup is still the best option for now.

So for those of you in the US...now that Amazon has canceled our orders, who is going to wait for a possible eventual US release and who is going to be pursuing other avenues? I'm really thinking about going the Overclockers UK route, but those shipping costs if you'd ever need to send it back are just so prohibitive. I guess it really depends on how willing you are to take that gamble.

Lack of 4:4:4 chroma subsampling, high input lag, postprocessing that sometimes cannot be turned off are also some of the problems you could encounter when using TVs as a Monitor.

Les Numeriques (Digitalversus) also tested the Philips 3 days ago (4/5 stars) -
http://www.lesnumeriques.com/moniteur-ecran-lcd/bdm4065uc-p22327/test.html
Philips has higher contrast than the LG (2900:1 vs. 4700:1), better responiveness and the LG is prone to clouding.

(English version soon, usually come a couple of days after the orignal reviews)

what about the Samsung UHD 40"?

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/...s/UE40HU6900UXXU?CID=AFL-hq-mul-0813-11000170

Last edited:
Hi, so what about this issue?
vq2lwn.jpg

When you use white objects (browser, word etc.) with grey (dark) backgrounds , the white object will extend in a sort of weird yellow discoloured extended banding way (see picture). I was wondering what's the feason for this? Is this usual with VA panels? I only noticed it after a few months of use though and really like the screen, this is the only flaw until yet. Might there be a way to fix this? Upgrade tv firmware? Better quality DP cable (this one might be faulty)? What are your thoughts on this? I only saw a few people mentioning it.. thx!

Last edited:
Many TVs have problems when used as monitors, most common are: no 4:4:4, high input lag. Samsung has 4:4:4, input lag is not brilliant. One would have to collect more information to see if this or other 40" TV would make serious alternative to the Philips 40" monitor. But damn, if there would be a 40" curved TV that would be something :cool:.

The Samsung's 4k TV (the HU8550 and HU9000) has issues with 4k 4:4:4 chroma at 60hz. Nobody can seem to get them to run at 4:4:4 at 60hz, only 30hz. Unless something changed within these 3 or 4 months, the time I was researching for a new TV, that problem is still there.

When you use white objects (browser, word etc.) with grey (dark) backgrounds , the white object will extend in a sort of weird yellow discoloured extended banding way (see picture). I was wondering what's the feason for this? Is this usual with VA panels? I only noticed it after a few months of use though and really like the screen, this is the only flaw until yet. Might there be a way to fix this? Upgrade tv firmware? Better quality DP cable (this one might be faulty)? What are your thoughts on this? I only saw a few people mentioning it.. thx!

Plasmas have line bleed, but I don't know of any LCDs suffering from this issue :confused:

vq2lwn.jpg

This issue was being discussed from page 68 onwards.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1838713&page=68

How are you running that, 3 X 980? What framerates do you get?

I had SLI titans, they worked beautifully. The main issue with Surround Portrait is that if you are used to 120hz on a TN it takes awhile to get used to the 60hz and higher input lag on a Dell.

Personally I am looking for something better and was really hoping this would work. Now I am considering that Dell 34" while I wait for the next release. The Acer Predator would maybe even work as an AIO but I really wanted something larger format.

vq2lwn.jpg

The above is the Philip?

Anyhoo, the photo looks fine.

I agree with Martha, there aren't many different panels on the market with these specs.
Only difference it seems is that the seiki is probably matte.

Martha, you own the screen, right? Would it be possible for you to make a mini-review of it?
Some youtube clips of the screen would be PERFECT...
And if possible (i would be VERY thankful) show us a video of the screen while playing a game in 4k, and then playing a game on 1080p.
I know we can see that the interpolation is pretty good on tftcentral, but I'd like to see what it does in games...

thank you very very much in advance!

Check you sharpness settings - if high, turn down/off.

I like the sense of humor of Amazon from that Seiki link:

List Price: $1,000.00
Price: $999.99
You Save: $0.01

Seiki is a cheap brand name. I bought their blu-ray player. It does the job but it's average. The only thing good about that Blu-ray player is that it is design so you can hack it to view all regions. (big co. like sony would never do this) Inferring on that, Seiki is "one of those" brand name. There is 0 chance that they actually make this screen. So it's an OEM from ?? Philip?

anyhoo, what's the USA warranty for the philips? As Seiki is 1 yr.

but it c/w DVI, whereas the Philips does not have it. So maybe it's not the same screen

Last edited:
I agree with Martha, there aren't many different panels on the market with these specs.
Only difference it seems is that the seiki is probably matte.

Martha, you own the screen, right? Would it be possible for you to make a mini-review of it?
Some youtube clips of the screen would be PERFECT...
And if possible (i would be VERY thankful) !

likewise, if the screen is good, would you trade 5 turkey and 2 chicken for it? :D

This display is fantastic! The massive screen estate is what I needed, and since I'm coming from a Surround setup, 3x Dell P2214H vertically, there are no longer
any annoying bezels! I've received it last Thursday - placed an order for it 7 days earlier on Amazon Marketplace UK for £598, shipped from Italy (dbprice).

Games look awesome on it, no problems with lag for me. Currently enjoying Dying Light in 4K ~40fps, settings maxed out (only the viewing distance set on 75%, with FXAA forced via driver) running on 2 Titans in SLI.

So far, even after long game sessions, I've experienced no discomfort or fatigue issues due to the PWM dimming (I've mine set on 60% brightness).

Before/After pics:
wGZG51Hl.jpg

Jdln25tl.jpg

I'm happy to answer any questions :)

looks fantastic!! Can't wait for mine..
7 days you waited jeez, I am now at day 49 waiting and still need to wait 18 days..
Im counting the days for this thing :)

looks fantastic!! Can't wait for mine..
7 days you waited jeez, I am now at day 49 waiting and still need to wait 18 days..
Im counting the days for this thing :)

Thanks! Oh man I know how you feel - I actually have been waiting for it since 11 Dec 2014 as that's when I initially placed an order for it from Amazon UK.

It was supposed to be delivered to me on 21 Jan 2015 but then Amazon emailed me that it has been 'unexpectedly delayed' with new estimated arrival date of February 09 2015 - March 03 2015... suffice to say I cancelled that and fortunately managed to find it elsewhere.

Stay strong!

For me, I placed the order on the 7 of Dec and it still shows "Delivery estimate: Friday, 23 January 2015 - Tuesday, 24 February 2015".

Last edited:
For me, I placed the order on the 7 of Dec and it still shows "Delivery estimate: Friday, 23 January 2015 - Tuesday, 24 February 2015".

Mine was initially "Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - Tuesday, February 17, 2015" but you can re-calculate your estimate by clicking 'Change delivery option' next to your order and without actually changing the delivery method, just click confirm.

This display is fantastic! The massive screen estate is what I needed, and since I'm coming from a Surround setup, 3x Dell P2214H vertically, there are no longer any annoying bezels! I'm happy to answer any questions :)

Have you noticed any difference due to the new monitor being flat and old ones being piecewise linear approximation of a curved one :D?

Have you noticed any difference due to the new monitor being flat and old ones being piecewise linear approximation of a curved one :D?

The triple monitor stand that I used for the old Dells did not allow for them to be positioned flat and vertically - I could only get them to touch when the left and right ones were turned inwards, creating that 'curve'. Because otherwise I would have to deal with big gaps :(

Sure, there is a noticeable difference :) At first I actually wanted to get one of the curved 34" 3440x1440 screens but their curvature is minute compared to the one I achieved with those Dells. I've seen one in person and for me it wasn't worth the price premium and the fact that for me it would actually be a downgrade in terms of screen estate. Plus the horrible backlit bleed plaguing those displays put me of getting one.

So yeah, I don't actually 'miss' that 3xDell vertical curved setup, it was initially intended to be flat anyway, after I switched from a horizontal Surround... I hope I've answered your question!

Nice contribution, Rafall! I have a few questions. Did you calibrate your screen after you received it(I assumed you did), and if so, by how much did you have to tweak? Was the out of factory calibration decent?

What are your (average) FPS in other games, which are better optimized than newly released ones? Do you have any? Benchmarks? Do you use AF too, or do you keep it, unlike MSAA(and other variants)?

Nice contribution, Rafall! I have a few questions. Did you calibrate your screen after you received it(I assumed you did), and if so, by how much did you have to tweak? Was the out of factory calibration decent?

What are your (average) FPS in other games, which are better optimized than newly released ones? Do you have any? Benchmarks? Do you use AF too, or do you keep it, unlike MSAA(and other variants)?

Thank you! I actually haven't calibrated it yet even though I do have a Spyder 4 at hand :p This might actually suggest that the factory calibration is pretty usable! I've only dialed the brightness down to 60% and using SmartUniformity preset (thats the factory calibrated one, you get a calibration certificate in the box with the display).

So far I've tested Dying Light (30-40fps), GRID Autosport (60+fps), GTA 4 EFLC with the latest graphics mods (25fps), Ryse Son of Rome (30fps). All on max or nearly maxed out settings. Obviously, it all depends on the game really. Haven't run any benchmarks. I have a globally forced AF x16 and FXAA via nvidia driver.

Thank you! I actually haven't calibrated it yet even though I do have a Spyder 4 at hand :p This might actually suggest that the factory calibration is pretty usable! I've only dialed the brightness down to 60% and using SmartUniformity preset (thats the factory calibrated one, you get a calibration certificate in the box with the display).

So far I've tested Dying Light (30-40fps), GRID Autosport (60+fps), GTA 4 EFLC with the latest graphics mods (25fps), Ryse Son of Rome (30fps). All on max or nearly maxed out settings. Obviously, it all depends on the game really. Haven't run any benchmarks. I have a globally forced AF x16 and FXAA via nvidia driver.

A review of the monitor said with the 8ms delay time, it could cause issues for FPS games due to the lag and they did not recommend it for hard core gamers. With you playing Dying Light, it seems you are up to date on FPS games and from playing it myself I know it is very hard on a system, how is the lag/delay for gaming? I assume your other three monitors were typical high end monitors with the usual 2ms timing so I am curious if you notice the difference

A review of the monitor said with the 8ms delay time, it could cause issues for FPS games due to the lag and they did not recommend it for hard core gamers.

I understand this is to push those 144 Hz monitors. To notice effect of 8 ms vs. 20 ms lag one has to be superhuman gamer :p.

for those complaining of delays in europeans sellers, taobao agents are selling this monitor as well, starting from 2200 yuans.currently it is cheaper than a 39" 4k TV in taobao

Do you notice any headaches or eye strain from the PWM backlight?

Is this not coming to the US?

Nobody who knows for certain is on this thread. But for those just tuning in, here's what we do know:

1. A website claimed to have been tipped by a Philips Product Manager that this display would come to the US in Q1 2015, contrary to an earlier tweet from an official Philips account that this would be a Europe-only release.

2. Amazon US briefly listed the display on their website for $999. It was subsequently removed, I think a day or two later, but people who ordered it while it was available were able to keep their orders, though Amazon had no ETA for when they could expect delivery.

3. Shortly thereafter, Amazon gave delivery estimates of late February to mid-March. But then a while after that, Amazon cancelled those orders saying that they couldn't get information on when they would be able to fulfill them.

4. Someone in the Overclockers UK thread devoted to this display posted on Jan 29 that he's received confirmation from a Philips Product Manager (unknown if it's the same one who tipped the aforementioned website) that this display will release in the US (at some point).

Sadly there still hasn't been any official, public announcement from Philips about a US release, so this is basically all we have to go on at this point.

Last edited:
Hi all, first post here. I am from Brazil and Philips is massive here, the TP Vision focus on Latin America and Europe/Asia(?)

I was alway curious about the 2014 TVs not having LG Display or Samsung Display(and so on) brand in their inside. They now comes with a TPV label, but the TV sets still VA/IPS/etc. and in fact no one heard of TPV as a display maker.

After some research i concluded TPV is rebranding displays under their name.

Look:

Panel name: TPT400LA-K1QS1.N Rev: SC1A

But hey, Panelook> 40" > 3840x2160> in production 7 Innolux models, this one:

V400DK1QS1

I am sure this monitor's display is a Chimey Innolux. You can match all bizarre TPV displays in Panelook.

When I'm using this screen with my Mac, the only resolution I can chose is the full UHD (3840x2160). All other scaled resolutions I can choose are labelled "low resolution" and therefore look terrible.
Has anyone managed to make them look nice, and scale properly, like on a retina Mac?

When I'm using this screen with my Mac, the only resolution I can chose is the full UHD (3840x2160). All other scaled resolutions I can choose are labelled "low resolution" and therefore look terrible.
Has anyone managed to make them look nice, and scale properly, like on a retina Mac?

What model and generation of Mac? And what version of OS X? (Those are always helpful bits of information to include when you want people to help troubleshoot something for you. ;) )

Back