Philips BDM4065UC - 40" 4K 60Hz monitor thread

What's going on? Why your sudden change of mind? I am concern as some of us were just talking about that magenta color box extension. Did you get a DOA?

Pretty much the reason I'm still waiting for my amazon order to come through, since this is a huge step up from my current setup, I want to order from a place I know I can return without issues in case I don't adapt.

What's going on? Why your sudden change of mind? I am concern as some of us were just talking about that magenta color box extension. Did you get a DOA?

pretty sure he didn't:

Well I have my display all set up, thankfully it wasn't DOA

what exactly is an "artifact" in this context?

and for most people who doesn't use photoshop or image editor, would we still have this problem? Because I only use firefox, wordperfect and excel

and come to think it: exactly what is wrong with these shoots? I don't see what is wrong at all. Are you people talking about that extension of the windows? Because it looks like from that thread, it only happens at magenta. And here's the funny thing, I never use that color. It's an ugly color to begin with. Using LCD all these years, I never use that color.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041337482&postcount=36

It has nothing to do with photoshop. It's just the easiest way for me to show the artifacts. It also has nothing to do with greys or magentas it's just it shows up the most on those colors. You'll see the artifacts just using a webpage like google or Microsoft Word and it will extend all the way to your desktop especially if using a dark wallpaper. The more of the screen that has a contrasting color the stronger the effect will be. A small white box taking up 10% of the screen and you won't see the effect, a white box that takes up 75% of the screen and you'll see the artifacts either vertically or horizontally like you see in the pictures.

Last edited:
Can't believe I'm already writing this, but... anyone want to make me an offer on this display?

I know it's only been a few hours since I got this, but I'm usually thrilled when I get new tech toys, and in this particular case I'm thinking more that this is just too much and that I can't really see myself using this for the next several years as a replacement for the display setup I've been using for the last several years. This would clearly be an amazing gaming setup or even a productivity setup for someone who could really make the most of this much real estate, but I'm neither of those people. Unfortunately return shipping to Overclockers UK would be in the $600 range, which is completely impractical, but shipping from where I live (Austin) even out to San Francisco on the coast seems to be about $70-80, so I figured I'd put a feeler out there to see if anyone who's sure they want something like this would be interested in a great deal. I would also be willing to part with the Ergotron LX Tall Pole and VESA mount adapter I purchased if you're interested in those items since I don't really need the former with my previous setup and definitely don't need the latter.

Amazon US briefly listed this for $999 with free shipping (but with sales tax depending on where you live), and people who submitted orders are seeing estimated delivery in late February. I would obviously be willing to sell for a decent amount less than that. If anybody is interested, PM me with an offer. Like I said, this is a truly impressive display, but it's just too much for me considering that I don't need it for work and wouldn't take advantage of it for gaming. :(

I must say that I'm kinda shocked. You were as excited about this display as I was and did a TON of research, both on the product and where to source it from. I definitely didn't predict you deciding to sell it the same day you received it. But if it's not right for you, well there's not much else that needs explaining.

Regarding your earlier comment about it being difficult to read text in the corners - what is your viewing distance?

Also...return shipping = $600?? :eek: :eek: :eek: How is that even close to reasonable? Do they provide a jar of Vaseline with your shipping receipt?

With what they're selling for on eBay right now, you could probably undercut the S. Korean outfits and minimize your losses. But I think it's cool of you to offer it here first, and for a good deal. There are obviously plenty of people here who are interested in this display, and I'm willing to bet that someone will jump at the chance to pick up a practically new one at a discount.

Are you serious? Why would he sell a DOA monitor? :rolleyes:

I must say that I'm kinda shocked. You were as excited about this display as I was and did a TON of research, both on the product and where to source it from. I definitely didn't predict you deciding to sell it the same day you received it. But if it's not right for you, well there's not much else that needs explaining.

Regarding your earlier comment about it being difficult to read text in the corners - what is your viewing distance?

Also...return shipping = $600?? :eek: :eek: :eek: How is that even close to reasonable? Do they provide a jar of Vaseline with your shipping receipt?

With what they're selling for on eBay right now, you could probably undercut the S. Korean outfits and minimize your losses. But I think it's cool of you to offer it here first, and for a good deal. There are obviously plenty of people here who are interested in this display, and I'm willing to bet that someone will jump at the chance to pick up a practically new one at a discount.

Believe me, I'm shocked too. I never would've thought that this much awesomeness might be too much for me, but there you have it. Unfortunately research just doesn't prepare you for something like this, I guess. It's funny, I thought that if I were ever interested in a 34" 21:9 display I'd want a flat one, but I think I'm now seeing the case for curving a display at that width.

My viewing distance right now is about 30". I could definitely bring it closer without having to turn my head to see the sides, but the problem isn't really the size of the text; I think it's mostly viewing smaller text off-angle. The clock in the system tray is a perfect example. Looking at it from my regular centered sitting position, certain numbers are tricky to distinguish without leaning my head over a bit. But if I actually move over the right and lower my head so that I can view it straight on maintaining the same viewing distance, it's perfectly clear. I have better than 20/20 vision, btw. I don't know if this is due to limitations around off-angle viewing inherent to VA panels, the distortion effects of parallax in general, or both, but it's definitely an issue when reading smaller stuff in corners. So bringing the display closer would only amplify those effects, plus even having moved this display forward to its current position has already created a situation that would require some desk rearranging if I were to keep this setup. My 13-port USB hub is now behind the display, so it's less useful for ad hoc connections, and so are my speakers, making adjusting the volume is a bit of a chore (I hate using software volume controls). But to be honest, even the off-angle viewing in corners isn't a dealbreaker. It certainly doesn't make the display unusable, it's just a drawback I've noticed compared to my previous 24" + 20" display setup, and my problem is that I'm not sure the benefits of this display for me outweigh these types of drawbacks.

Yeah, I was shocked at the shipping qutoes I got from DHL, UPS, and FedEx. Haven't tried USPS, but I can't imagine it will be different enough to change the equation enough. The shipping from OCUK was about $115, so I never imagined that returning it would be this bad. Evidently they generate enough volume to get great rates....

Selling on eBay did cross my mind, but I actually don't even have an eBay account. My parents do, but they've never sold anything, so I wouldn't have any seller reputation to work with, and honestly I don't even know what's involved with becoming an eBay seller. That's why I'm hoping to sell it to someone watching this thread or maybe someone local to me. I figure given how niche a product this is, the people watching this thread are probably the best place to start.

Last edited:
You want to sell something THAT awesome, eh? It doesn't sound right... What's most awesome about it that puts you off?

You want to sell something THAT awesome, eh? It doesn't sound right... What's most awesome about it that puts you off?

I feel like I've already explained it, but it's honestly the fact that it's too big for me. When I ordered it I figured that this thing sounded awesome enough that I was willing to overlook the question of whether I actually NEEDED this kind of real estate (which I knew I didn't) and get it just because I'm a tech enthusiast and like having cool tech things, even if I don't actually need all of them. But now that it's here, it's just way more than I imagined it would be. Sorry if it doesn't sound right to you, and I definitely wouldn't want someone to buy from me if they felt uncomfortable, but this is just a simple case of buyer's remorse from a product that's obviously on the extreme end of the market. I don't see why that's so difficult to understand. This display isn't even that expensive compared to other nice displays out there, so from a strictly financial standpoint, lots of people could have a 40" display if they wanted to -- but I bet the reason many people don't (and still won't even after they become more broadly available) is because this just isn't a product for everyone.

What's your current setup? I live on my bryan and makes me want to drive to Austin and get it off your hands if the weather wasnt so bad. But at the same time you wanting to sell it off just after getting it and those recent problems people are having is making me rethink my purchase of this monitor over the dell34 curved.

Well, regarding the distance, I was actually wondering if it would help (or be feasible as far as your desk setup) to move the monitor further away from you. In a couple of the pics that I've seen, it seemed to me that the corners were darker than the rest of the screen and I assume that was simply due to being so close to a large VA panel (the off-angle issue you mentioned). I thought that if viewed at a distance, the corners wouldn't appear that way.

In any event, what's the plan now? Have you decided that 40" non-curved is simply too large for your needs, or just this particular unit? Are there any other displays that you're looking at? I don't want to veer the thread off topic, but it would be interesting to see the route that someone who has had this unit - and decided not to keep it - ends up going. Lots of exciting stuff going on in the monitor realm right now, between the 32" 4K monitors and that sweet sounding Acer 34" 144 Hz ultrawide with G-Sync. :cool: I actually think that 40" is pushing it as far as size, and to be honest I think a 36" panel like this would be just about ideal for me, but sadly I haven't heard mention of one and doubt anything will change there for the foreseeable future. I just wish there was a better middle ground between 32" and 40" than the 34" LG I have which, although very impressive horizontally, does seem a little narrow at times in terms of height. I was hoping that the Philips would let me keep the width while filling in the height. Sounds like it does that and much more, lol.

What's your current setup? I live on my bryan and makes me want to drive to Austin and get it off your hands if the weather wasnt so bad. But at the same time you wanting to sell it off just after getting it and those recent problems people are having is making me rethink my purchase of this monitor over the dell34 curved.

What do you want to know about my setup? I'm driving it off of a Dell XPS 15 (Haswell generation) laptop and have it mounted to a 72x30 Uplift 900 adjustable height desk via an Ergotron LX Tall Pole mount. You're welcome to come down to my place in Austin and check it out for yourself, in fact I would encourage it because I definitely wouldn't wish my current situation on somebody else. And fyi I'm in North Austin (183 & Braker), so at least you won't have to get through Austin traffic to get to me. PM me if you want to talk more about arranging that. And I'm right there with you hoping the weather clears up.

Good god, I just picked up a used LG 34UM95 an hour ago otherwise I'd be shooting you a PM.

Edit: Ah hell, I'm shooting you a PM anyway.

Last edited:
Well, regarding the distance, I was actually wondering if it would help (or be feasible as far as your desk setup) to move the monitor further away from you. In a couple of the pics that I've seen, it seemed to me that the corners were darker than the rest of the screen and I assume that was simply due to being so close to a large VA panel (the off-angle issue you mentioned). I thought that if viewed at a distance, the corners wouldn't appear that way.

In any event, what's the plan now? Have you decided that 40" non-curved is simply too large for your needs, or just this particular unit? Are there any other displays that you're looking at? I don't want to veer the thread off topic, but it would be interesting to see the route that someone who has had this unit - and decided not to keep it - ends up going. Lots of exciting stuff going on in the monitor realm right now, between the 32" 4K monitors and that sweet sounding Acer 34" 144 Hz ultrawide with G-Sync. :cool: I actually think that 40" is pushing it as far as size, and to be honest I think a 36" panel like this would be just about ideal for me, but sadly I haven't heard mention of one and doubt anything will change there for the foreseeable future. I just wish there was a better middle ground between 32" and 40" than the 34" LG I have which, although very impressive horizontally, does seem a little narrow at times in terms of height. I was hoping that the Philips would let me keep the width while filling in the height. Sounds like it does that and much more, lol.

I actually started with it about a foot farther back than it is right now (roughly where I had my Dell U2410), but that was too small for me. Evidently the PPI increase from 94 to 110 was just enough to make me bring it forward somewhat.

It's absolutely nothing against this display. 40" at least non-curved is just too much for me. Curving it might improve the corner visibility, but again between not being a gamer and not doing work that would be dramatically improved by having this much real estate, this just isn't for me I guess. I just bought this because it struck me as awesome enough to justify an upgrade even though it was completely unnecessary, and it turns out my eyes were bigger than my...eyes??

I'm not sure what I'll do next. In the immediate term, I'll just go back to my 24" + 20" setup because again, I didn't actually need something bigger/better. I may check out the flat and curved 34" displays at Fry's a bit more closely, but given that they'd be about the same width as this, I may have the same problem with them. I've used 30" displays and liked them, so that's probably my sweet spot, and if I got that I'd probably keep the 24" as a secondary display and dump the 20". I don't see the value of a 4K 30-32" 4K display though, at least not until the scaling ecosystem in Windows improves. The PPI on a 30-32" 4K display isn't high enough to feel like a Retina display, but it's high enough that it can't really be used without scaling, which strikes me as a worst of both worlds. A 27" 5K display could be interesting down the road, but my current laptop couldn't drive it, and I'm not paying $2500 for one.

Not to try and ruin any business going here, but may I suggest you try the monitor for more than a few hours, since apparently the problem you have is mostly with the size of the screen, and that to me sounds like normal adjustment, I know that the transition to more than 1 monitor takes some time to get used to (and actually benefit from), and this is no different since even with 2 monitors this is still basically adding a third monitor in what concerns size.

Not to try and ruin any business going here, but may I suggest you try the monitor for more than a few hours, since apparently the problem you have is mostly with the size of the screen, and that to me sounds like normal adjustment, I know that the transition to more than 1 monitor takes some time to get used to (and actually benefit from), and this is no different since even with 2 monitors this is still basically adding a third monitor in what concerns size.

I definitely considered that, but I'm not optimistic. I adjusted to 24" displays, 30" displays, and dual displays immediately. and while I imagine that I may well get used to it with some time, my concern right now is that I'm not thinking, "Wow this is amazing -- but it will take some getting used to." It's more, "Umm, this WOULD be amazing for games or someone who could put all of this real estate to good use, but it's kind of ridiculous for me, and even if I got used to it, I don't think I'd ever really like it, never mind want to keep it for several years." For me, this is about as clear an example as there is of too much of a good thing.

Last edited:
Have you tried windows scaling to medium or larger? That should resolve the clarity of text in corners.

Have you tried windows scaling to medium or larger? That should resolve the clarity of text in corners.

Yes it would, but one of the appeals of this display for me was to get 4K at a size that didn't require me to use scaling, with all of the issues it creates in some apps I use. But enabling scaling also wouldn't address the fact that I've simply decided that this display is physically too large for my taste. Thanks for the suggestion though! :)

Here it is with more colors. It's most noticeable on greys and not blacks & whites. It still affects normal desktop usage. I just have the factory default settings of 100 brightness, 50 sharpness, 50 contrast, 6500k color, DP 1.2. Changing around settings doesn't help such as the RGB values. Only changing the contrast above 75% or below 25% really helps but then the image looks off.

why does every issue on this monitor revolve around greys lol. Do you get you get a similar shift in the center of your vision in Photoshop etc like mine does? I might try that colour pattern on mine now its been calibrated and see if it still happens.

I have to say though if you look very closely at a grey background you will see slight crosshatch banding in random places its just very faint.

Reading text in the corners of the display is a bit tricky when I'm centered; it gets much better if I move my head up/down and over, but that's not a reasonable way to use a display full-time. Again, I may well get used to it (I certainly hope so, thinking about what it would cost to return!), but only time will tell.

Indeed angle of view to the corners is steep. The only, and Holy Grail, solution to this problem would be a curved 40"@4K. Since we have now 34" curved monitors, the 40" curved is quite possible but it is impossible to tell when manufacturers wake up to this opportunity.

Yes it would, but one of the appeals of this display for me was to get 4K at a size that didn't require me to use scaling, with all of the issues it creates in some apps I use. But enabling scaling also wouldn't address the fact that I've simply decided that this display is physically too large for my taste. Thanks for the suggestion though! :)

can you post some photos at the For Sale section?

and do you have a paypal acct.?

It has nothing to do with photoshop. It's just the easiest way for me to show the artifacts. It also has nothing to do with greys or magentas it's just it shows up the most on those colors. You'll see the artifacts just using a webpage like google or Microsoft Word and it will extend all the way to your desktop especially if using a dark wallpaper. The more of the screen that has a contrasting color the stronger the effect will be. A small white box taking up 10% of the screen and you won't see the effect, a white box that takes up 75% of the screen and you'll see the artifacts either vertically or horizontally like you see in the pictures.

How many hr. do you use your Philips 40" per day? And assuming you use it 5 to 7 days per week, how many times does this happen per day in a 5 to 7 days time frame?

why does every issue on this monitor revolve around greys lol. Do you get you get a similar shift in the center of your vision in Photoshop etc like mine does? I might try that colour pattern on mine now its been calibrated and see if it still happens.

I have to say though if you look very closely at a grey background you will see slight crosshatch banding in random places its just very faint.

ok I can concour that the colour bar ghosting occurs on my panel aswell BUT it is very very faint on mine and it is much worse on the factory profiles vs my calibrated profile.

ok I can concour that the colour bar ghosting occurs on my panel aswell BUT it is very very faint on mine and it is much worse on the factory profiles vs my calibrated profile.

well in that case, these Philips owners would be eager for you to post your calibrated profile

can you post some photos at the For Sale section?

and do you have a paypal acct.?

Looks like I need 100 posts to create a thread in For Sale,so I can't yet. I do have a PayPal account. Not sure why you need photos though. Mine looks exactly like the ones you can see in this thread, in reviews, etc. And I can confirm what other owners have already said: Somehow as big as it looks in photos, it's still even bigger in real life.

EDIT: Well this turns out to have been my hundredth post, so For Sale thread is now live: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1041379454#post1041379454

UPDATE: Sold! To another forum member, for whom this will be his SECOND Philips. Glad to have sold to someone who knows what he's getting himself into with this thing!

Last edited:

Please post your settings, it would be much appreciated!

Hey, Mac users! Did you have to buy additional cable to connect this monitor via DisplayPort or it was included? Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort, I suppose.

Hey, Mac users! Did you have to buy additional cable to connect this monitor via DisplayPort or it was included? Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort, I suppose.

Comes with full-size DP to full-size DP, as well as HDMI and (bizarrely) VGA. No MiniDP of any kind, sorry! I had a MiniDP to full-size DP cable from Monoprice I used with this, which worked perfectly.

It seems every piece is pretty unique colorwise. I started the calibration with the same manual settings that tftcentral used, but they were so off on my device, that my calibration was not able to compensate them (with different initial settings the calibration succeeded - I used X-rite i1)

Anyway, I was also able to reproduce the color bar ghosting on my device, but it was hardly noticeable, miles from the ones that people posted here. Maybe I just didn't find the perfect ghostmaker image?

Otherwise my first impressions on the device as a fresh owner (coming from several IPS's):

Pros:
- bigger than it seemed on the user photos
- deep blacks, great overall contrast when watching from about 1m, any IPS is a joke in this regard
- no dead/hot pixels so far

Cons:
- seeing from close distance the edges are losing color/contrast quickly, I can't get used to it
- reds are not so vivid as on an IPS, I really miss them :(
- stretched aspect ratio (non-square pixels) -- annoying at still photos and movies, doesn't matter otherwise. Fortunately, at movies it can be easily compensated with mpc-hc.

All in all, I think I'll keep my old Dell 3008WFP for everyday desktop work, and will use this one for gaming/movies

Happy to, bear in mind though that these sittings are calibrated for my panel and may not work well with others...

Brightness: 95
Contrast: 55
Gamma: 2.2
Red: 93
Green: 92
Blue: 71

Also after further testing it seems that the issues I had with the monitor all revolve around darker colours not just grey, anything with very low luminance causes the hole to form in the center of the screen, you can try the following colour full screen. Its not as dark as it shows as my exposure was a bit longer but you get the idea.

R:5
G:18
B: 10

Cons:
- seeing from close distance the edges are losing color/contrast quickly, I can't get used to it
- reds are not so vivid as on an IPS, I really miss them :(
- stretched aspect ratio (non-square pixels) -- annoying at still photos and movies, doesn't matter otherwise. Fortunately, at movies it can be easily compensated with mpc-hc.

you can actually tell the photo is stretched? But in that Lincoln photo test, we can't tell which is stretch and which is normal

Also after further testing it seems that the issues I had with the monitor all revolve around darker colours not just grey, anything with very low luminance causes the hole to form in the center of the screen, you can try the following colour full screen. Its not as dark as it shows as my exposure was a bit longer but you get the idea.

are you using Apple or PC? What software create the above? Is there a way you can take the photo normally w/o prolong exposure?

are you using Apple or PC? What software create the above? Is there a way you can take the photo normally w/o prolong exposure?

This is in mac OSX, doesn't matter though its the same in Windows aswell... This is the closest I could get to how it is in real life. The effect is always dead center of your vision, its like some weird convergence issue.

For mean it is an absolute deal breaker on this monitor as it does show up in ARMA3 at night. I really REALLY love this monitor other than this issue, its like selling your newborn lol. I really hope Philips find some weird bug and update the monitor in the future.

you can actually tell the photo is stretched? But in that Lincoln photo test, we can't tell which is stretch and which is normal
I was able to tell which Lincoln was wider, of course just because I was aware that one of them was. Otherwise, out of comparison, I can only notice the stretching seeing some photos of my own or my girlfriend's face that are well known to me. Anyway, for testing I created a 1500:1500 pixel square and measured it, resulting in 343mm x 337mm. So nothing tragic indeed, I won't sell the display just because of this.

This is in mac OSX, doesn't matter though its the same in Windows aswell... This is the closest I could get to how it is in real life. The effect is always dead center of your vision, its like some weird convergence issue.

if you have a moment, can you simply load up a simply word processor, say MS word, a simply spreadsheet like Excel, and a browser like Safari, show each windows at 1280x2160, spread them out on your Philips and take a good photo and post it here.

Seems to me like black crush, a very common flaw in *VA monitors and the primary reason I won't buy one.

For mean it is an absolute deal breaker on this monitor as it does show up in ARMA3 at night. I really REALLY love this monitor other than this issue, its like selling your newborn lol. I really hope Philips find some weird bug and update the monitor in the future.

Seems to me like black crush, a very common flaw in *VA monitors and the primary reason I won't buy one.

Not sure if it is black crush, the stock sRGB profile is utter crap for blacks but calibrated this monitor was able to match my IPS based cinema display for shadow details, you just had to manage those super deep blacks carefully in the calibration.

Its a weird effect in the way that I would expect light to falloff around the center not start in the middle but yes upon googleing gamma shift, I have seen similar examples. Such a shame as this monitor almost nailed it.

Last edited by a moderator:

That looks appaling. But why would you have your RGB values that low?
I can confirm that with my out of box setup (brightness set to 65%) my greens and greys show none of this issue. I think you should return yours.

That looks appaling. But why would you have your RGB values that low?
I can confirm that with my out of box setup (brightness set to 65%) my greens and greys show none of this issue. I think you should return yours.

You wouldnt most of the time but it is very obvious in photoshop backgrounds and when im playing arma 2/3 on night servers.

Back