Philips BDM4065UC - 40" 4K 60Hz monitor thread

Just got my monitor today and been doing some initial testing with FCPx etc. Mac OSX loves it straight out of the box, all I needed to do was enable 60hz.

Odd thing I have noticed and not seen it mentioned anywhere, has anyone noticed that the sRGB mode crushes the blacks quite a bit compared to 6500k

I suppose the most likely explanation was a mistake in a press release. My guess is the marketing department at Philips just said, "Let's make sure we mention all of our latest and greatest technology to promote our new product!" without first making sure that all of said technology had actually been incorporated into this particular display.

In any case, I'm curious how you confirmed PWM. Did you test for it or did you just notice it because it's irritating your eyes/head?

for those in Australia who have this screen, can you try the simple white line/camera test described in the TFTCentral article for PWM here: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/pulse_width_modulation.htm

I can't believe this monitor is only approx. $1000 in Australia. I am tempted to see one. But I already have a LG31 MU97 but still tempted to get the phillips for the screen size.

I was wondering how is the ppi at this size, is it still crisp and clear, does it look like 1440p expanded to a larger screen?

Also how is the panel quality? Would it be as good as my LG 31MU97?

Response time is 3ms but not sure how accurate it is and how it compares to my current monitor, I do alot of gaming.

Any current monitor is going to be smaller than 4 30", which is why you need to get more than one, to get the same width of those 4 monitors you would need a 120 inch monitor, which going out on a limb here and say it's not happening anytime soon, as such a monitor would need crazy high resolution, and you would need to sit crazy far back from it, same for the area, you would need a 60 inch monitor, which would require you to sit pretty far back, and a resolution bigger than 4k (which is already somewhat hard to drive).
2 of these should have you covered.

It supports vesa, so you can get all the ergonomic features you want (better than a integrated stand really), it ofc adds to the cost of the monitor, but the monitor is still pretty cheap.

Yeah you're not getting that monitor anytime soon, in good part because even SLI of 980 has a hard time driving many games at 60fps (it's doable, but not much room to spare), let alone 3d which is done at 120hz last I checked.
I mean you can do 120hz in certain games, but also the interface doesn't exist yet (DP 1.3).
Anyway yeah that's putting a monitor so far into the enthusiast range that it would have to be crazy expensive, so unless you want to wait a couple of years you're not really getting a good 120hz 4k monitor in the very near future.

The best monitors to replace your dells assuming your purpose is mainly gaming (which seems to be), are definitely in the 1440p range.

All 4 of your 30" Dells died all at once??

In any case, Micael hit the nail on the head above.

No single display is going to replace 4x 30". Two of these would give you more total pixels, but of course their arrangement would be completely different.

G-Sync on 4K displays will have to wait until DP 1.3 comes out because DP 1.2 barely has enough bandwidth to drive 4K @ 60 Hz. That's also why 3D is missing, because that would require 4K @ 120 Hz, and even DP 1.3 won't have the bandwidth for that without using compression. And even if the bandwidth did exist for that, you have the GPU horsepower issue since even SLI GPUs have trouble with 4K in 2D. I've also seen very few 3D displays out there and even less 3D content that works really well anyway, even among games, and since Philips doesn't seem to have aimed this display at gamers, I wouldn't have been surprised to see 3D missing even if it would have been possible. 3D seems to be disappearing even from the TV world, or at least taking a major backseat to other features like 4K and Smart TV functionality, and it never seems to have taken hold in the mainstream display market.

Not sure what you mean by more outputs -- did you want a daisy-chaining output? That doesn't exist here because once again, DP 1.2 doesn't have enough bandwidth left over after driving 4K @ 60 Hz to drive another display.

A card reader is indeed handy and I might miss the one on my current Dell U2410, but I also have one on my laptop and they're not very expensive anyway.

The bezels seem plenty thin to me, particularly as a percentage of the total display dimensions.

Lack of ergo support is unfortunate on a display this large and probably comes from the fact that this display is based on a TV, where ergo stands aren't the norm, but it's also easily solved with an ergo arm.

Agreed on speakers being an odd addition though, but maybe for people who want to use ergo arms to put this display directly on the deck, they'd rather have speakers integrated than either leaving room under the display for them or putting them way off to the sides of the display.

Hey guys appreciate the comments, really hoped the bdm4065uc would be my end all be all monitor. I could technically stay with just getting more 30" Dells but I think I prefer something better if I have to switch. Also looks like this can only do 4k at 30hz., could have done without the headphone jack, speakers, etc. Was really hoping... Like you said 2 of these in portrait and make that surround would be really nice (not sure you can even do that with Nviida but they did allow 4-5 last update). But then you run into the problem of your crosshair being in the middle.

Using a ruler its 66-69" diagonal without the 1" bezel
Each monitor is (w/o bezels) 29 3/4" diagonal, 15 3/4" Width and 25 1/4" Vertical .

Michael and jphughan I mainly plan to do:
Movies
Games
spreadsheets / surfing

I was really hoping this Philips would work. Even if it did I feel it would probably look really odd in Portrait mode no? is there any large screen even out there that can do it? Or are we really forced in getting 4 more screens?

This is how my current system looked before all monitors being shorted.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1848399&highlight=
http://imgur.com/a/j4rt4
4 Way surround is good for RTS but bad for FPS see cross hair below

Meanwhile if you do 3 way its fine, with that being said, if 2 40" 4k screens could work without the crosshair in the middle would be amazing:

Last edited:
any chance we get to see the tcon and control board of this monitor? i am still looking for a way to give my Seiki 39" a board capable of 60Hz over displayport or HDMI 2.0

Hey guys appreciate the comments, really hoped the bdm4065uc would be my end all be all monitor. I could technically stay with just getting more 30" Dells but I think I prefer something better if I have to switch. Also looks like this can only do 4k at 30hz.,

I was really hoping this Philips would work. Even if it did I feel it would probably look really odd in Portrait mode no? is there any large screen even out there that can do it? Or are we really forced in getting 4 more screens?

This display will do 4K @ 60 Hz as long as you enable DisplayPort 1.2 mode on the display and of course have a GPU that supports DisplayPort 1.2. I said DP 1.2 has barely enough bandwidth to drive 4K @ 60 Hz -- but it does have enough, and this display will accept it.

I can't imagine how it would work in Portrait, though. The display would be ~36" tall, which first of all would be an ergonomic disaster. This display in landscape is already ~20" tall, and people here are saying that even after bringing it right down to the deck using an ergo arm, they can only barely see the top edge of the display without tilting their neck upwards -- Portrait would make the display 80% taller. And second, it would also probably result in a viewing experience given that this is a VA panel and the horizontal viewing angle (which comes into play when viewing vertically in portrait mode) isn't as good as an IPS panel, so the top of your display would probably look noticeably different from the bottom. Most 27" and larger displays don't ship with stands that allow them to be flipped to Portrait mode, probably because it's rather impractical to use such large displays in that way and also because the stand itself would have to be very tall to achieve that. Of course using an ergo arm with sufficient vertical travel you can rotate anything you want, but again I question the quality of the end result beyond a certain display size.

That's a pretty monstrous setup you have up there though, wow. 4x 30" displays in Portrait.... I don't think I could sit that close to an effectively 65"+ display.

Last edited:
If you're on the fence I should be receiving mine tomorrow and will be doing as complete of a review as possible, just lack of video since my mrs. dropped and destroyed my JVC Everio -_-. Pictures will have to suffice.
Gr8, waiting for your review :D.

Hey guys appreciate the comments, really hoped the bdm4065uc would be my end all be all monitor. I could technically stay with just getting more 30" Dells but I think I prefer something better if I have to switch. Also looks like this can only do 4k at 30hz., could have done without the headphone jack, speakers, etc. Was really hoping... Like you said 2 of these in portrait and make that surround would be really nice (not sure you can even do that with Nviida but they did allow 4-5 last update). But then you run into the problem of your crosshair being in the middle.

Using a ruler its 66-69" diagonal without the 1" bezel
Each monitor is (w/o bezels) 29 3/4" diagonal, 15 3/4" Width and 25 1/4" Vertical .

Michael and jphughan I mainly plan to do:
Movies
Games
spreadsheets / surfing

You should check the review on the monitor http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/philips_bdm4065uc.htm it covers pretty much anything you might need to know, and as jphughan said it's a 60hz monitor.

http://www.displaywars.com/ would advise that website to check sizes and compare things, but basically I would strongly argue that you do not want 40" in portrait mode, since we are talking about almost 1 meter worth of vertical space, which means you will need to lift your head to see the screen, and even in landscape is tricky, if you get 3 monitors which is ideal for surround (as far as I know), you get 2.6 meters wide so you're going to turn your head a lot.
Now granted by my standards your current setup is also not ideal.
For me 1 40" screen is in fact ideal, since you get plenty of width, you get about as much height as you want to handle, and you can actually drive it at 60fps with current graphic cards (you need 2 high end ones, but what ever still doable), all this while getting the perfect ppi, and keeping a resolution that is exactly 4x 1080p, and is almost certainly going to be the standard for 4k (which is the only 2 problems I have with 34" ultrawides).

Well I just found an app that should solve a problem I expected to have when I got this display, namely good window management for a display this large. I've always used Aero Snap on conventional displays to quickly throw things up side-by-side on typical displays, but given that this display will have the area of 4x 1080p displays, I would need something capable of creating 8 regions (two halves of four displays) to replicate that functionality in a manner appropriate for a 40" 4K canvas. Aero Snap's halving of a display would be way too inefficient for a display like this, I wasn't looking forward to manually sizing all of my windows, and the included Philips utility and others didn't seem to do the job because they commandeered the Maximize button and only allowed you to maximize to that region, not snap to span adjacent regions or maximize to the fill the entire display, which seemed like it could be problematic in certain applications.

Enter a freeware app called Gridy. Its default settings suggest that it's intended to just allow you to move windows around in tiny increments around the desktop (32 pixels), but I realized that by tweaking some settings, I could use it to snap windows to one of my 8 defined grids and even assign each grid a hotkey to quickly size a window to fill the target area. Best of all, it would allow me to drag windows to span multiple adjacent grids when the need arises, or even use keyboard shortcuts to expand/shrink a window along grid borders or move it around the display the same way. The app can also be configured to intervene and snap by default when dragging (disabled by dragging while holding a modifier key) or allow normal dragging and only engage when a modifier key is held.

For anyone who already has this display and wants to test it out, here is an INI file for the app that:

- Splits a 4K display into a 4x2 grid of equally sized 960x1065 zones (I subtracted 30 vertical pixels to account for the taskbar when "Use small taskbar icons" is enabled). These zones can be targeted by pressing WinKey+Numpad #.
- Defines snap zones along the borders of these 8 zones
- Requires you to hold Shift to enable snapping while dragging/resizing, i.e. the default is not to intervene.
- Sets the keyboard shortcuts for moving and resizing windows such that they do not interfere with Aero Snap

Spend some time with the app's Readme if you want to experiment, but let me know how this goes. To use this, copy the contents of the window below into the app's INI file, replacing all existing text, save that file, and reload Gridy.

Code:
;-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Gridy Configuration File
;
; Please do not modify this file manually unless you know what you are doing.
; Use the system tray menu to configure Gridy - most of the settings are 
; accessible through that menu.
;-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[General]
; ModifierKey    : Hold down this key while dragging a window to snap it.
; Possible Values: None, Shift, Win, Ctrl, Alt
; Default        : None
ModifierKey=Shift

; DisableKey     : Hold down this key while dragging to move the window freely, 
;                  with no snapping.
; Possible Values: None, Shift, Win, Ctrl, Alt
; Default        : Shift
DisableKey=None

; GridSizeX/Y    : Sets how fine or coarse the snapping grid is.
; Possible Values: Any number
; Default        : 32
GridSizeX=960
GridSizeY=1065

; GridSizes      : Sets the available levels in the Grid Size menu
; Possible Values: Numbers separated by a comma
; Default        : 4,8,16,32,64,128
GridSizes=4,8,16,32,64,128

; ShowWelcomeTip : If 2, will alwaosy show welcome tip, if 1, will show only
;                  on the first run, if 0, will not show.
; Possible Values: 0, 1 or 2
; Default        : 1
ShowWelcomeTip=0

; SnapNonResizables: If True, non resizable windows will be snapped (but not 
;                  resized), if False, non resizable windows will be completely 
;                  ignored.
; Possible Values: 0 or 1
; Default        : 1
SnapNonResizables=1

; HomeW and HomeW: Sets the default width and height to be used with Win+Home
; (Use Win+Shift+Home to set these values)
HomeW=640
HomeH=416

; TransLevel     : Sets the level of transparency that will be applied to the
;                  window when Win+F10 is pressed. 255 is completely opaque, 0
;                  is completely transparent
; Possible Values: 0 to 255
; Default        : 180
TransLevel =180

; DisableExitKey : If true, disables the Win+ESC hotkey
; Possible Values: 0 or 1
; Default        : 0
DisableExitKey =0

; PresetKeys     : Sets the key-set that is used for storing/restoring position
; Possible Values: Numpad or Numbers
; Default        : Numpad
PresetKeys =Numpad

; EdgeBehavior   : Sets how resizing or moving to edges operates
; Possible Values: Ignore (allows resizing and moving past edges)
;                : Shrink (shrinks the window so it stays on screen)
;                : Block (prevents movement or resizing over edges)
; Default        : Block
; Note           : This is ignored when multiple monitors are detected
EdgeBehavior =Block

[Hotkeys]
; Hotkeys
; # = Win | + = Shift | ^ = Ctrl | ! = Alt
MoveLeftKey            =^#Left
MoveRightKey           =^#Right
MoveUpKey              =^#Up
MoveDownKey            =^#Down
SizeLeftKey            =#+Left
SizeRightKey           =#+Right
SizeUpKey              =#+Up
SizeDownKey            =#+Down
StoreWinSizeKey        =#+Home
RestoreWinSizeKey      =#Home
ToggleAlwaysOnTopKey   =#F12
ToggleAltTabIconKey    =#F11
ToggleTransparencyKey  =#F10
MinimizeAllButMeKey    =#PgDn

[Positions]
; Preset positions - X,Y,W,H
; Store with Win+Ctrl+Numpad1-9
; Restore with Win+Numpad1-9
; (You may modify to use the normal numbers instead of the numeric keypad)
Position1 =0,0,960,1065
Position2 =960,0,960,1065
Position3 =1920,0,960,1065
Position4 =2880,0,960,1065
Position5 =0,1065,960,1065
Position6 =960,1065,960,1065
Position7 =1920,1065,960,1065
Position8 =2880,1065,960,1065
Position9 =2880,1065,960,1065

Last edited:
is 40" too loose at 3840x2160? Does anyone expect the text to be sharp at 40"?

I found this, do you guys think it is too loose or just right?

http://img.notebooksbilliger.de/images/products/200000/202464/PhilipsBDM4065.jpg

Anyhoo:

1) what's the warranty on this, as the manual is deceptive and never mention it
2) any buzzing noise
3) what is the wrong w/ the stand that c/w the LCD?
4) how is the text at 10 pt., 12 pt. and did you have to change your DPI on win 7?
5) Can the power plug from Korea works in North America? Is it the same one we use?
6) how's VA compares IPS from Sharp?
7) is this a 2 panel in 1, ie. the problems that Dell have or is this a true single panel?

Last edited:
258pch3.jpg

Finally got it all set up.
Ordered from china on the 31st. got it in this morning.
so far I'm very happy. played a few dota 2 matches and some path of exile. both look big and sharp. A combination that was previously unheard of.

Can you screen capture your desktop w/ a wordprocessor or spreadsheet page on the right side, in 3840x2160, and upload the link here?

Does anyone in the USA who owns this know if I can just get a normal US plug for mine? It came with a multinational plug adapter in a big ugly white box. The monitor I got came from S Korea and had the 2-prong "C" type plug. Looks like there's no power brick it's just the usual think 3-prong cord that goes into the back of the monitor just like all power supplies and most monitors. Wouldn't want to fry it or anything...Can take pics if needed. Thanks.

I suspect that's a universal standard, especially on a monitor like this, they are going to want to keep it as universal as possible, that being said you can easily check it, even without a multimeter, the part of the cable that connects to the monitor should have 3 letters, 1 N, 1 E, and 1 L, then all you need to do is compare the positions of those letters to your other cables (it should have the E in the middle).

is 40" too loose at 3840x2160? Does anyone expect the text to be sharp at 40"?

Anyhoo:

1) what's the warranty on this, as the manual is deceptive and never mention it
2) any buzzing noise
3) what is the wrong w/ the stand that c/w the LCD?
4) how is the text at 10 pt., 12 pt. and did you have to change your DPI on win 7?
5) Can the power plug from Korea works in North America? Is it the same one we use?
6) how's VA compares IPS from Sharp?
7) is this a 2 panel in 1, ie. the problems that Dell have or is this a true single panel?

Text will be perfectly fine at 40"; this display has the same PPI as a 27" 2560x1440 display, around 110. It's actually sharper than a 24" 1080p display, which is only 95. But 110 is also not so high that scaling is required with all of the issues and artifacts it can introduce. That's exactly why people are interested in this display.

1. No idea. Probably varies by region, which is why it wouldn't be mentioned in the manual. The place you buy it from should be able to tell you, though. I think the UK version I'm buying is 2 years.

2. Current owners can speak to that.

3. The stand has no adjustment capabilities, except maybe tilt? There's no swivel or height adjustment, and lack of height adjustment in particular makes it more difficult to put it in a more ergonomically usable position. As you'll see in this thread, several people are using ergo arms to put the display right down on the desk rather than a few inches above it like the included stand does.

4. See the beginning of my reply.

5. You wouldn't use the same power cord, but you can swap in a standard US power cord because the display-side connector is standard and the power supply supports 110 and 220V and 50/60 Hz.

6. Read the TFT Central review.

7. You're referring to MST functionality, which is dual display controllers, not dual panels. But no, this is a true SST display that appears to the system as a single 3840x2160 device.

Does anyone in the USA who owns this know if I can just get a normal US plug for mine? It came with a multinational plug adapter in a big ugly white box. The monitor I got came from S Korea and had the 2-prong "C" type plug. Looks like there's no power brick it's just the usual think 3-prong cord that goes into the back of the monitor just like all power supplies and most monitors. Wouldn't want to fry it or anything...Can take pics if needed. Thanks.

See above. Everyone in the US who currently has one imported it from somewhere else and just used an appropriate US power cable.

Last edited:
I did see the Silverstone arm but thought the MX looked cool. Silverstone coming tomorrow!

Have you received the Silverstone arm yet? Or when you receive it, can you please make a comment about it? Does it indeed work like a charm and are you happy with it?

10x.

The monitor I got came from China. It had a weird flat, 3-pronged power cord bundled in the box (which I have since learned is the Chinese standard plug), but the other end of that cord was a standard PC power supply female. I was able to use the same power cord that I used to power my old 30" dell with the new Phillips and it powered up just fine. So the monitor will work on a 110v outlet.

So, has anyone tried overclocking the monitor yet? Specifically, I'd be interested if it can do 4k@72hz and 4k@75hz without frame skipping, so we can have judder-free playback of 24fps content.

After a couple of emails from this site I got a quote for the monitor
http://hardware.be/

If you have a shipping account we won’t charge the shipping cost.
Only the monitor.
You can use the price in our webshop.
The price is 592.42 excl. VAT

That is $688 US which is a STEAL! Even if they add VAT it is still a great price. Now I need to find out how to get a shipping account at UPS :)

Last edited:
After a couple of emails from this site I got a quote for the monitor
http://hardware.be/

If you have a shipping account we won’t charge the shipping cost.
Only the monitor.
You can use the price in our webshop.
The price is 592.42 excl. VAT

That is $688 US which is a STEAL! Even if they add VAT it is still a great price. Now I need to find out how to get a shipping account at UPS :)

That is an awesome price. Let me know what you find out; I was considering waiting for Overclockers UK to get them in stock but it works out to $873 + shipping from there, best case.

Even if you had to pay for shipping from hardware.be, I bet the total cost would still be pretty reasonable.

Glad I didn't give in to temptation and get it from eBay now. $1189 shipped EMS...pffft. :p

Now I need to find out how to get a shipping account at UPS :)

Something seems too good to be true. I just called UPS at they said to creat a once in a while shipping account is free, no fees, no maintenance fees I just pay UPS whatever the shipper charges them. So why no shipping cost from the hardware site?

Something seems too good to be true. I just called UPS at they said to creat a once in a while shipping account is free, no fees, no maintenance fees I just pay UPS whatever the shipper charges them. So why no shipping cost from the hardware site?

Because in a shipping account scenario they would just charge the shipping costs to your account rather than paying the shipper themselves, so UPS would turn around and bill you for the shipping rather than them. Unless you can get a significantly better rate through a shipping account (which I think is unlikely if you're not going to be generating a lot of business for UPS), then I don't see the value in this course of action. It would probably be easier to just let Hardware.be use whatever shipper they're familiar with.

That's a great price though! But I think I'm still going to keep my Overclockers UK order. If there are any issues, I'd much prefer to deal with a well known vendor that speaks English than a Dutch outfit I've never heard of. That insurance is definitely costing me a pretty penny, but the way I look at it, frankly the $984 I'm paying (including shipping) still seems like a bargain for this thing, so I'm not too worried.

Last edited:
Because in a shipping account scenario they would just charge the shipping costs to your account rather than paying the shipper themselves, so UPS would turn around and bill you for the shipping rather than them. Unless you can get a significantly better rate through a shipping account (which I think is unlikely if you're not going to be generating a lot of business for UPS), then I don't see the value in this course of action. It would probably be easier to just let Hardware.be use whatever shipper they're familiar with.

Well, UPS told me for an occasional use account there is NO CHARGE. I only pay when I want to ship something or if something is shipped to me.

The only reason I was going to do it this way was because when I wrote my first email to Hardware.be requesting a price quote WITH SIPPING the reply was 'Do you have a shipping account?' I replied 'No, but I can get one with UPS' Then that is when the site sent me the last email.

Maybe I should just use Overclockers UK.

Well, UPS told me for an occasional use account there is NO CHARGE. I only pay when I want to ship something or if something is shipped to me.

The only reason I was going to do it this way was because when I wrote my first email to Hardware.be requesting a price quote WITH SIPPING the reply was 'Do you have a shipping account?' I replied 'No, but I can get one with UPS' Then that is when the site sent me the last email.

Maybe I should just use Overclockers UK.

There's no charge to have the account itself. You'd still have to pay for the shipping, though. But I wonder why Hardware.be didn't just tell you what it would cost if you wanted them to handle all of the shipping, that's odd.

Hardware.be seems like a reputable shop and they claim to have many U.S. customers, but that's a good point about communications with Overclockers UK potentially being easier down the road. Hmm...

Hi all, can some of you please tell how long the cables are and if their connectors are angled? (namely the displayport, the audio and the USB3) I need at least 5ft long cables, and if the ones in the package are not long enough I have to order replacements from ebay before my display arrives.

(just ordered the display through a local dealer (Hungary, EU) with 4 weeks estimated delivery time, and for $600 without VAT, $760 incl. VAT)

Looks like Amazon is getting ready to start selling it. Prime shipping directly from Amazon is in place now. Have ordered items before from them when they have placeholder ready in their system. Usually means they know they are getting it in stock soon.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Brill.../ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Edit: Hoping the fact that PC Gamer just stuck up a review of it today also combined with showing up as being sold by Amazon US means will be shipping in the US soon.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
There's no charge to have the account itself. You'd still have to pay for the shipping, though. But I wonder why Hardware.be didn't just tell you what it would cost if you wanted them to handle all of the shipping, that's odd.

Well, I now have a shipping account with UPS and I emailed Hardware.be all the info. I will see what happens next.

Man.... They have one of these on display at my local shop in NZ and wow. The sheer size of the thing is incredible. Everything looks incredibly crisp and clear as well. Unfortunately they didn't have any games loaded up on the machine to play but I can imagine they would look incredible. I just ordered a Dell U3415w and brain went like this: "The phillips looks awesome, it would be wicked for coding and gaming."
"Yes but you've just ordered a Dell. And it's 4k resolution so you'd have to buy ANOTHER 970 just to play games on it. And you don't want to have to go back to an SLI setup would you?"
"......no.... I guess you're right... but it was awesome."
Considerably torn but the panel seemed very responsive and colors were great. One thing I would mention is that when they were turning it on and the logo came up... RIP eyes, not sure if it was the pwm issue that people have been talking about but I could feel it in my eyes in the few seconds it was on. Once the monitor was loaded into windows 8 everything was fine and dandy.
Have a lot to think about over the next 24 hours.

Anyone having an issue where it drops back to 30hz randomly on boot up? Not sure if its an OSX thing as I havn't seen it happen in Windows yet.

Have you received the Silverstone arm yet? Or when you receive it, can you please make a comment about it? Does it indeed work like a charm and are you happy with it?

10x.

I did today, but unfortunately the vesa adapter I ordered uses larger bolts (m5+) than fit in either the Silverstone arm or the monitor. Need to order another adapter.

Looks like Amazon is getting ready to start selling it. Prime shipping directly from Amazon is in place now. Have ordered items before from them when they have placeholder ready in their system. Usually means they know they are getting it in stock soon.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Brill.../ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Edit: Hoping the fact that PC Gamer just stuck up a review of it today also combined with showing up as being sold by Amazon US means will be shipping in the US soon.

You've got my interest piqued. I've been waiting for the Seiki or this to be released in the US.

Ok so my mrs. has taken my camera for the day for a work gig without telling me so some of the pics from my S4 are blurry so please do forgive me for that.

Starting off.....this CANNOT do 1080p @ 120hz the board in the panel simply will not allow it, however i tested successfully @ 72hz and 75hz without a hitch. 4k was able to be pushed to 66hz without frame skipping....upped it to 72hz and got distortions in the top right of the screen around 1 square inch flickering distorted colours. Have kept it at 60hz as my 290x xfire setup can't push those frames (until 390x at least /shrug).

I was able to recreate the 3840x1440p to give it an AOC/LG ultrawide look...was ok but if the refresh was increased past 60hz it created a stretched 16:9 image that was just awful.

This panel is just simply amazing and from the pics below you can see it dwarf's the S27A950D by miles.

I have owned the Seiki 39" as well and I have to say this monitor outshines it easily, May not have 120hz but it has no screen blanking and it does 60hz 4k not to mention the beautiful colour even with editing the Seiki's service menu.

Even with AA off some games will still dip below 40fps (Crysis 3 I'm looking at you!) but this is to be expected even with a beefy setup of flagship cards.

Long story short:

Pros
- 4k 8-bit VA panel that is responsive and will serve it's purpose
- Games will support 16:9 a lot more often than 21:9 (even though you can CRU it into this panel)
- Production Production Production! I am able to keep a swath of tabs open and spreadsheets while surfing youtube, huzzah! (extra brownie points if you point out to your woman she can have multiple shopping sites open at once while youtubing beyonce's greatest hits).
- Even in dark and light situations (been using it for 4 hours now) it has yet to cause any eye strain for me, but every person is different.

Cons
- Cannot do 1080p @ 120hz, though the 72hz and 75hz compromise I found to be more than enough
- 72hz @ 4k cannot be done, monitor will not recognize the connection (correction: it will, it will just distort on the panel and any program running, 1080p @ 120hz is not recognized...sorry for the farkup)
- Minor annoyance is having to completely reconfigure my logitech proteus' DPI profiles
- This is not available everywhere yet and will make you hesitant regarding warranty/location

Pics (forgive the blur ><'):

Old setup
http://s384.photobucket.com/user/Mauler1987/media/7%20days%20to%20die/My%20base/Philips%2040%20review/20150116_091325.jpg.html

Unboxed size comparison
http://s384.photobucket.com/user/Mauler1987/media/7%20days%20to%20die/My%20base/Philips%2040%20review/20150116_093309.jpg.html

66hz 4k frame skip test
http://s384.photobucket.com/user/Mauler1987/media/7%20days%20to%20die/My%20base/Philips%2040%20review/20150116_095752.jpg.html

3840x1440 failure @ 75hz
http://s384.photobucket.com/user/Mauler1987/media/7%20days%20to%20die/My%20base/Philips%2040%20review/20150116_100125.jpg.html

Heaven Benchmark 55fps @ 4k 60hz 2x R9 290x @ 1070hz
http://s384.photobucket.com/user/Mauler1987/media/7%20days%20to%20die/My%20base/Philips%2040%20review/20150116_120936.jpg.html

Last edited:
If any more info is needed feel free to send through requests as long as it doesn't require me to fry anything :p

I did today, but unfortunately the vesa adapter I ordered uses larger bolts (m5+) than fit in either the Silverstone arm or the monitor. Need to order another adapter.

My adapter wouldn't fit either, I don't know of any that have a 200mm spacing with 4mm bolt holes still as they are designed for much bigger and heavier screens.

I got 3mm thick metal shims to reduce the hole size on my adapter plate and 5mm longer bolts.

Well crap, this creates quite the dilemma for me. I can still cancel my Overclockers UK order and place an order with Amazon to have much less of a hassle in case something were to go wrong, but Amazon doesn't have an ETA, whereas Overclockers is expecting their shipment of 100+ units to arrive in a week, and at $999 buying from Amazon is still more expensive than buying from Overclockers even after shipping. Hmm....

Back