Philips BDM4065UC - 40" 4K 60Hz monitor thread

Well I submitted a ticket to Yoybuy about my order being cancelled due to not being able to pass customs asking what the specific problem was and whether choosing EMS rather than DHL would change anything. I got a reply (within an hour of their opening, so kudos for a prompt response) that they cancelled it because the item is fragile and they're concerned about damage during shipping. Bummer, but I guess I'd rather have them be too cautious (particularly if that's based on prior experience) than deal with returning a DOA unit to China. So they gave me a refund for the entire amount, including their fees and PayPal's, minus 30 cents, which I presume is just due to exchange rate fluctuation.

So now I've submitted an order with Overclockers UK, which actually came out a bit cheaper than Yoybuy. They're backordered at the moment, but they told me via email that they expect to get more stock this week -- and they offered DHL Worldwide shipping.

There are more taobao agents (you can even go without agent), but yes with anything of this sort there is always the risk of it arriving broken, but that risk also exists if you order it from Europe really.

What I like to do in this sort of packages is to see if the package has any visible damage when it arrives, if it does you make the delivery person take note on the delivery document that the package had visible damage, if he refuses to do so you tell him to leave a info note as you were not at home so you can pick up the package at dhl later (this is actually preferable), since you will have several people there that will be able to assist you with the problem. Adding to that, I would take copious amounts of photos of the outside before opening, and of the opening process, just in case anything is broken, since that usually happens by bad transportation, or by bad packaging, and if you do this you will have some form of proof to take to the payment company you used to get a refund, which usually sides with the buyer.

BTW have you tried contacting caseking.de, no idea if they will have the monitor anytime soon, or if they ship worldwide, but it's almost 100$ cheaper (no idea about p&p), also will overclockers remove the vat for your order?

it's a 30hz monitor.

Seems like there is going to be a fair amount of 40"ish competition in that $700-$1000 price range. Whomever it is, they can't get here soon enough.

Have there been any announcements, besides the seiki one?

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
There are more taobao agents (you can even go without agent), but yes with anything of this sort there is always the risk of it arriving broken, but that risk also exists if you order it from Europe really.

What I like to do in this sort of packages is to see if the package has any visible damage when it arrives, if it does you make the delivery person take note on the delivery document that the package had visible damage, if he refuses to do so you tell him to leave a info note as you were not at home so you can pick up the package at dhl later (this is actually preferable), since you will have several people there that will be able to assist you with the problem. Adding to that, I would take copious amounts of photos of the outside before opening, and of the opening process, just in case anything is broken, since that usually happens by bad transportation, or by bad packaging, and if you do this you will have some form of proof to take to the payment company you used to get a refund, which usually sides with the buyer.

BTW have you tried contacting caseking.de, no idea if they will have the monitor anytime soon, or if they ship worldwide, but it's almost 100$ cheaper (no idea about p&p), also will overclockers remove the vat for your order?

I definitely wouldn't want to go through Taobao on my own. If what Yoybuy said on their site about the average Taobao vendor not having experience with international shipping, that seems like a huge recipe for frustration, particularly if said vendor also doesn't speak any English. I also appreciate that an agent would inspect my package for damage that may already exist before sending it out of China over to me. I may look into other Taobao agents if Overclockers doesn't pan out though.

Totally agreed that the shipping damage risk exists even from Europe, but then again it also exists if I were to order it locally whenever it becomes available here. I don't see damage risk being very strongly correlated with distance traveled by air, just with number of handoffs along the route and of course the particular people doing the work. Maybe Yoybuy has just had too many problems with the particular individuals that handle packages on their end to justify the hassles with DOA complaints on international orders. Anyway, good tip on the copious photos. I will definitely do that.

I didn't know about Caseking.de, but Overclockers did indeed remove VAT automatically based on my shipping address, so after shipping it came out to £648.78, or ~$980. If DHL makes me pay the Customs fee, it looks like it will be $43.50. I previously looked into ordering from the Aussies, but the only retailer I found that had it in stock did not ship internationally.

Last edited:
There is no stock for this damn thing.. I've been looking for over a month.. There is China, obviously where they make them, then there is Holland, a Philips home country, and also some odd places here and there.

Germany, France, Austria, other European countries... Same story - only a few shops have them for pre-order, no stock, delivery unknown (not even the usual 'shipping in 3 weeks time')..

I guess they are having production difficulties or what.. In contrast, Dell U3415W appeared about the same time and you can get it anywhere today..

So it looks more and more like it will be February-March before we, the ordinary geeks, can get our hands on these beauties. Philips sucks. :(

Last edited:
As far as I'm concerned, no stock is a good thing. Hopefully that means that they're flying off the shelf, other companies will see the demand and we'll get some other options for similar monitors soon -- PWM is a deal-breaker for me; I'm definitely sensitive.

I suspect it's a mixture of not being able to produce a ton of those panels, and the very likely unexpected demand for them, judging by CES most companies don't seem like they were expecting people to want 40" monitors.

I definitely wouldn't want to go through Taobao on my own. If what Yoybuy said on their site about the average Taobao vendor not having experience with international shipping, that seems like a huge recipe for frustration, particularly if said vendor also doesn't speak any English. I also appreciate that an agent would inspect my package for damage that may already exist before sending it out of China over to me. I may look into other Taobao agents if Overclockers doesn't pan out though.

Totally agreed that the shipping damage risk exists even from Europe, but then again it also exists if I were to order it locally whenever it becomes available here. I don't see damage risk being very strongly correlated with distance traveled by air, just with number of handoffs along the route and of course the particular people doing the work. Maybe Yoybuy has just had too many problems with the particular individuals that handle packages on their end to justify the hassles with DOA complaints on international orders. Anyway, good tip on the copious photos. I will definitely do that.

I didn't know about Caseking.de, but Overclockers did indeed remove VAT automatically based on my shipping address, so after shipping it came out to £648.78, or ~$980. If DHL makes me pay the Customs fee, it looks like it will be $43.50. I previously looked into ordering from the Aussies, but the only retailer I found that had it in stock did not ship internationally.

Well if that's the price with shipping it's not even worth ordering from taobao, btw I assume if the package gets stopped at customs you will have to pay the vat of your state, or is that not how it works in the US?

I suspect it's a mixture of not being able to produce a ton of those panels, and the very likely unexpected demand for them, judging by CES most companies don't seem like they were expecting people to want 40" monitors.

Well if that's the price with shipping it's not even worth ordering from taobao, btw I assume if the package gets stopped at customs you will have to pay the vat of your state, or is that not how it works in the US?

I don't see how production could be a problem if so many Taobao vendors have them in decent quantity. Maybe it's a problem with Philips' distribution network somehow?

I'm not sure if I'd have to pay sales tax for my state for this since I've never actually done this before. But if so then fair enough, I suppose. I'll report back if this thing ever shows up.

The monitor saw release in the Asian market first, so they had it for quite a few months before the EU market, which would explain the discrepancy in stock.

I don't see how production could be a problem if so many Taobao vendors have them in decent quantity. Maybe it's a problem with Philips' distribution network somehow?

I'm not sure if I'd have to pay sales tax for my state for this since I've never actually done this before. But if so then fair enough, I suppose. I'll report back if this thing ever shows up.

I have bought a ton of stuff from the UK (vendors through and directly from Amazon.co.uk and Ebay.co.uk, mostly) and never had any issues with customs or with sales tax. That $980 price isn't what I was hoping to pay but its low enough to give me serious pause.

The Panasonic VIERA TX-40AXW634 TV has almost exactly the same design (look at the stand) as this Philips monitor, and it appeared on the European market around the same time. Related? If so, would it have 4:4:4 on HDMI2.0...

There is no stock for this damn thing.. I've been looking for over a month.. There is China, obviously where they make them, then there is Holland, a Philips home country, and also some odd places here and there.

Germany, France, Austria, other European countries... Same story - only a few shops have them for pre-order, no stock, delivery unknown (not even the usual 'shipping in 3 weeks time')..

I guess they are having production difficulties or what.. In contrast, Dell U3415W appeared about the same time and you can get it anywhere today..

So it looks more and more like it will be February-March before we, the ordinary geeks, can get our hands on these beauties. Philips sucks. :(

The Belgian store I linked a few pages back claims to have 2 units in stock right now: http://hardware.be/philips/bdm4065uc-00.html

The Belgian store I linked a few pages back claims to have 2 units in stock right now: http://hardware.be/philips/bdm4065uc-00.html

They're shipping from Netherlands, so I'm not sure belgian store is the right word...

Also:
Externe voorraad: De goederen bevinden zich op voorraad in een extern magazijn. Goederen uit een extern magazijn worden in regel binnen 1 week geleverd.

Door onverwachte omstandigheden kan de levertijd iets uitlopen en is dan langer dan 2 weken.

This is from their external warehouse, so shipping might take more than 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Thanks Kache. No idea if they ship to the US, but if you call them I'm sure they will speak enough English to answer

They might do it, at least their shopping cart has the option to estimate p&p for the united states (79,46€). BTW they probably have the best price for the monitor I have seen in some time, since it's actually in the RRP range.

On a french forum where I follow the topic on this philips, someone came to make a comment on this site hardware.be ...

j'ai essayé d'acheter le moniteur de hardware.be cette semaine.
ils demandent de l'expédition de € 25 à l'achat.
ensuite, ils demandent € 75 supplémentaires. ils disent que l'élément est 'trop grand'.
donq, rester à l'écart de ce vendeur!

=> I tried to buy the monitor from their site this week. They asked 25 euros extra for expedition.
Then the asked 75euros more because the element is too big.
So get away from this seller.

Now if you don't care about the extra costs... why not maybe...

They might do it, at least their shopping cart has the option to estimate p&p for the united states (79,46€). BTW they probably have the best price for the monitor I have seen in some time, since it's actually in the RRP range.

OK, I will try - what does RRP stand for?

It's probably a case of their website not being programmed to handle item size/weight, since if you add say an hard drive instead of a monitor the p&p remains the same, which is obviously not possible, given the enormous difference in size and weight.
Obviously still not ideal, but it's somewhat understandable, and the price is still lower than what you usually find around, I mean overclockers sells it for 689£, amazon sells it for 605£, caseking for 800€ and so on.

OK, I will try - what does RRP stand for?

Recommended retail price, it's the price that manufacturers suggest to retailers, and for example the RRP for this monitor in my country is 700€, and we have a tax rate of 23%, a lot of the prices you can find around the web (of people that have stock or some estimation of stock) is significantly above that. For the price they are selling I would definitely buy the monitor, the only reason I don't do it, is because 40" is such a big step up from my current setup (2 24" monitors), that I'm not 100% sure I would adjust to it so I prefer to buy from somewhere that probably won't raise many problems with me returning the monitor (even if it's extremely unlikely I will do it).

Last edited:
Ok, I just stumbled on this article published today, which appears to be a press release: http://www.techworld.com.au/mediareleases/21396/philips-unveils-latest-40-ultraclear-display/

The above article claims that this panel is flicker-free and uses DC dimming. It quotes the exact same model code we're discussing here, but of course TFT Central tested it and found otherwise, even though they seem to have talked to MMD while working on their review, so it doesn't appear that they tested some other Philips sub-brand's variant of this display. Is someone just wrong here? Could TFT Central have received a pre-production sample? Or is it possible that Philips/MMD has changed the backlight since the one they sent to TFT Central for review? I guess a production change might explain the recent supply shortage, but that's an extremely short time to be on the market before a revision. Or is there some way that both TFT Central and these articles could be right, i.e. this display uses both DC dimming and PWM in some capacity other than being a hybrid display (PWM at certain brightness levels) which TFT Central presumably would have caught?

UPDATE: Two more articles mentioning this, though the CSO article content is identical to the TechWorld article above:

http://www.itwire.com/your-it-news/...ils-40-inch-‘ultraclear’-4k-display-for-$1099

http://www.cso.com.au/mediareleases/21396/philips-unveils-latest-40-ultraclear-display/

I reached out to TFT Central about this figuring they'd have better contacts at Philips than any of us. I'll post their reply if I get one.

Last edited:
...The above article claims that this panel is flicker-free and uses DC dimming...
Wow - this would be really awesome.
Maybe their are difference for asia and other markets.
Edit: All the sources you point are from about Australia. Hopefully this version (if it is indeed another one) would be available in other places too

But having the same model number would make it hard for the buyers when willing to buy on cheap shops shipping from far away...
PLEASE keep us up to date with any news on this!!

If that can help, I remember having a LCD monitor about 6 years ago, without flicker free, and had some head acke after more than 3 hours working on it.

I got the philips quite recently and I still cannot feel or see anything looking like flicking. no head acke even using the screen 12 hours in a row...

( i am using the screen at 55 % brightness .)

Did those of you who bought this from UK/EU have any trouble with customs? The nearest customs office here is 200km away, so hopefully that's not necessary here.
As far as I'm aware it's 34 dollars flat rate for Monitors, so it comes in at a buyworthy price if that's all there is.

on the Philips Australia website there is only a product information leaflet with date from
beginning of December
"Version: 4.0.1, PDF file, 1.03 MB, Date published: 2014-12-05"
this do not mention anything regarding "flickerfree" :-(

But maybe their will popup a newer one which will do :)

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/...on&mid=Link_ProductInformation&scy=AU&slg=ENG

PS: also standard product site for AU does note mention anything regarding flickerfree (but here is no date when it was last updated)
http://www.philips.com.au/c-p/BDM4065UC_75/brilliance-led-backlit-lcd-display

Last edited:
I'm in Aus, getting the screen tomorrow and will test it.

Edit: What monitor arms are people using with this? I'm considering an Ergotron MX...

Last edited:
I'm in Aus, getting the screen tomorrow and will test it.

Edit: What monitor arms are people using with this? I'm considering an Ergotron MX...

I ordered an Ergotron LX Tall Pole plus a VESA adapter plate. The regular LX would also work, but when I did the math looking at its dimensional diagram, I realized this display could only ever be raised about 6 inches above the deck. I'd never use it any higher than that, in fact I'd probably go lower, but since I may end up turning half of my desk into a treadmill desk, I figured it would be nice to be able to lift it a bit higher up when moving it from the sit/stand side to the walk side, or if I just need to get underneath it temporarily for whatever reason. The Tall Pole version should let me raise this display 10" above the deck while still allowing me to place it right on the deck.

The lower arm on the MX doesn't swing around like the LX does, which means the MX doesn't give you as much side-to-side reach or depth adjustment, and even among the limited depth adjustment range, the display would also have to move sideways as you adjusted its depth. Finally, it only has 5" of total vertical adjustment range, which could be very restrictive or even problematic on a display where the VESA mount is centered 10" from the bottom of the display. And technically you can set up an LX to work similarly to an MX by simply not including the lower arm when assembling it, so unless the MX is a lot cheaper or you're absolutely sure you'd never need the extra benefits of the LX, I'd go with the LX.

Last edited:
Wow - this would be really awesome.
Maybe their are difference for asia and other markets.
Edit: All the sources you point are from about Australia. Hopefully this version (if it is indeed another one) would be available in other places too

But having the same model number would make it hard for the buyers when willing to buy on cheap shops shipping from far away...
PLEASE keep us up to date with any news on this!!

Yes, I noticed all of those sources pertained to Australia as well, presumably because it just officially launched there on the day those articles were published. Still, I can't imagine Philips would make a special backlight just for the Aussies (as awesome as they are, as I learned on a recent vacation there :D).

Got an initial reply from Simon at TFT Central. He agrees that this could be an error in the press release and confirms that he tested a final production unit and encountered PWM, but since he can't rule out a hardware change, unlikely as it is, he said he will try to clarify this with Philips/MMD.

I was also planning on buying MX, since it's the only arm I could find that supports VESA 200x200 out of the box, but then I read some mixed reviews about it, plus it does not give you this much maneuverability..

So after doing some further research, I found this Silverstone Arm 11, that would be perfect.. Basically it's similar to LX, but a little bit cheaper and allows for 20 degree down tilt, and I also want it in black color... Then you just need a cheap VESA 200 adapter and you are all set..

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't know if this question is crazy, nasty or stupid but:

Has anybody checked if Philips 40" is a real 8-bit monitor without artefacts when presenting 8-bit colors?

This question came to me when I read that upcoming Seiki 40" will be based on 6-bit panel with temporal dithering (do not know exactly what's this but presume it is not very good).

I don't know if this question is crazy, nasty or stupid but:

Has anybody checked if Philips 40" is a real 8-bit monitor without artefacts when presenting 8-bit colors?

This question came to me when I read that upcoming Seiki 40" will be based on 6-bit panel with temporal dithering (do not know exactly what's this but presume it is not very good).

Fwiw, TFT Central review mentions 8-bit twice in their review, and they took the display apart to look at the panel being used. I don't know if there's some other test that can be performed to distinguish between 6-bit + dithering and true 8-bit.

Can confirm that it does in fact have pwm on this side of the world, however the monitor isn't that bright and I've adjusted gamma/contrast down a little to comfortable levels.

I did see the Silverstone arm but thought the MX looked cool. Silverstone coming tomorrow!

Fwiw, TFT Central review mentions 8-bit twice in their review, and they took the display apart to look at the panel being used. I don't know if there's some other test that can be performed to distinguish between 6-bit + dithering and true 8-bit.

Indeed, all questions are answered in the review. Based on the review this monitor is in the top range for its PQ (picture quality). Does anybody has any objections regarding evaluation in the review and all aspects of its PQ? I mean realistic ones, not like "it could have 1 ms input lag".

Can confirm that it does in fact have pwm on this side of the world...

=> so it seems to be worldwide the same monitor hardware?!
would be interesting how these failures in press release could happen...

Indeed, all questions are answered in the review. Based on the review this monitor is in the top range for its PQ (picture quality). Does anybody has any objections regarding evaluation in the review and all aspects of its PQ? I mean realistic ones, not like "it could have 1 ms input lag".

If you're on the fence I should be receiving mine tomorrow and will be doing as complete of a review as possible, just lack of video since my mrs. dropped and destroyed my JVC Everio -_-. Pictures will have to suffice.

TFT Central wrote a review no?
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/philips_bdm4065uc.htm

I really need a new monitor since my 4 30" Dells died. This would be smaller than them in Surround, but it looks like this may not be the right choice.

IT does not have any ergonomic support, love to hear input on this from you guys.

Ideally, G Sync, 3d, more outputs + Card reader + thinner bezels. Who needs speakers on a computer monitor?

Any current monitor is going to be smaller than 4 30", which is why you need to get more than one, to get the same width of those 4 monitors you would need a 120 inch monitor, which going out on a limb here and say it's not happening anytime soon, as such a monitor would need crazy high resolution, and you would need to sit crazy far back from it, same for the area, you would need a 60 inch monitor, which would require you to sit pretty far back, and a resolution bigger than 4k (which is already somewhat hard to drive).
2 of these should have you covered.

It supports vesa, so you can get all the ergonomic features you want (better than a integrated stand really), it ofc adds to the cost of the monitor, but the monitor is still pretty cheap.

Yeah you're not getting that monitor anytime soon, in good part because even SLI of 980 has a hard time driving many games at 60fps (it's doable, but not much room to spare), let alone 3d which is done at 120hz last I checked.
I mean you can do 120hz in certain games, but also the interface doesn't exist yet (DP 1.3).
Anyway yeah that's putting a monitor so far into the enthusiast range that it would have to be crazy expensive, so unless you want to wait a couple of years you're not really getting a good 120hz 4k monitor in the very near future.

The best monitors to replace your dells assuming your purpose is mainly gaming (which seems to be), are definitely in the 1440p range.

Can confirm that it does in fact have pwm on this side of the world, however the monitor isn't that bright and I've adjusted gamma/contrast down a little to comfortable levels.

I did see the Silverstone arm but thought the MX looked cool. Silverstone coming tomorrow!

I suppose the most likely explanation was a mistake in a press release. My guess is the marketing department at Philips just said, "Let's make sure we mention all of our latest and greatest technology to promote our new product!" without first making sure that all of said technology had actually been incorporated into this particular display.

In any case, I'm curious how you confirmed PWM. Did you test for it or did you just notice it because it's irritating your eyes/head?

TFT Central wrote a review no?
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/philips_bdm4065uc.htm

I really need a new monitor since my 4 30" Dells died. This would be smaller than them in Surround, but it looks like this may not be the right choice.

IT does not have any ergonomic support, love to hear input on this from you guys.

Ideally, G Sync, 3d, more outputs + Card reader + thinner bezels. Who needs speakers on a computer monitor?

All 4 of your 30" Dells died all at once??

In any case, Micael hit the nail on the head above.

No single display is going to replace 4x 30". Two of these would give you more total pixels, but of course their arrangement would be completely different.

G-Sync on 4K displays will have to wait until DP 1.3 comes out because DP 1.2 barely has enough bandwidth to drive 4K @ 60 Hz. That's also why 3D is missing, because that would require 4K @ 120 Hz, and even DP 1.3 won't have the bandwidth for that without using compression. And even if the bandwidth did exist for that, you have the GPU horsepower issue since even SLI GPUs have trouble with 4K in 2D. I've also seen very few 3D displays out there and even less 3D content that works really well anyway, even among games, and since Philips doesn't seem to have aimed this display at gamers, I wouldn't have been surprised to see 3D missing even if it would have been possible. 3D seems to be disappearing even from the TV world, or at least taking a major backseat to other features like 4K and Smart TV functionality, and it never seems to have taken hold in the mainstream display market.

Not sure what you mean by more outputs -- did you want a daisy-chaining output? That doesn't exist here because once again, DP 1.2 doesn't have enough bandwidth left over after driving 4K @ 60 Hz to drive another display.

A card reader is indeed handy and I might miss the one on my current Dell U2410, but I also have one on my laptop and they're not very expensive anyway.

The bezels seem plenty thin to me, particularly as a percentage of the total display dimensions.

Lack of ergo support is unfortunate on a display this large and probably comes from the fact that this display is based on a TV, where ergo stands aren't the norm, but it's also easily solved with an ergo arm.

Agreed on speakers being an odd addition though, but maybe for people who want to use ergo arms to put this display directly on the deck, they'd rather have speakers integrated than either leaving room under the display for them or putting them way off to the sides of the display.

Last edited:
Back