Philips BDM4065UC - 40" 4K 60Hz monitor thread

Does this monitor pass FCC certification? I was looking at the cheaper Microboard version of this monitor but Mircoboard told me theirs doesnt pass FCC certification and thus customs wouldn't release it to me if I tired to buy one here in the states.

It pass FCC . ( FCC Class B )

the photo taken from phillips manual

JC1oFrs.jpg

Well, I ended up cancelling my Dell 34" order and placing an order for this. According to the supplier, shoudl arrive here tomorrow!

20ms of input lag is quite a lot. I wonder if the korean companies will release a bypassed version of this.

Are you kidding me, 20ms is freaking excellent. 1 frame usually needs to be put in the frame buffer before it's sent to the monitor, which takes 16.7ms, so anything near that is great especially considering this thing has video processing, in particular RGB controls which is a much needed feature unless you want your mouse cursor tinted after calibration.

I also wonder whether the contrast ratio could have been maximised further if the contrast control was set to its highest point before clipping (they left it at default of 50). Usually it can go a bit higher before clipping and you can recover some of the contrast ratio lost by reducing the RGB controls.

Last edited:
Where does it say that? :confused:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200708240 at the end of the page, altough I guess they changed the amount, then again as far as I know that doesn't generally happen, I suspect it's more to punish people that are constantly returning things, and OFC you can always make some excuse like this monitor gives me headaches due to pwm or what ever, either way doubt they will present an issue with returns.

Amazon.co.uk (the only amazon with a page for this monitor I think) doesn't offer such clear guidelines, so the chances of you not getting a full refund are even lower.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Wallpaper pack for 3840x2160 res (collected by me).

1,246 Files. 2.71 GB Compressed, 2.74 GB extracted.

Download

Thanks! I've been looking for good UHD wallpaper, but most of what I find on IL is either oversharpened trash with crazy haloing, awful HDR images, or just soft as hell. Hopefully this pack will really let those >8M pixels shine. I've only been able to find about 2 dozen images I feel do UHD justice so far (admittedly haven't searched THAT hard). I see at least a few that are in your pack.

Well after seeing the lag results and that fact that this monitor is SST, it ticks all the right boxes for me except for the PWM issue and the fact that I'd need to go through an agent to purchase it.

I don't even know that the 240hz PWM would bother me but since I can't easily return it, I don't want to take that risk. Sigh. The 32" 4K panels are tempting but I'd really prefer the 40" size...I hate to wait for the Seiki but that might be what has to happen if no one else releases something to compete with this in the US.

On the upside, I have a single GTX 970 now and by the time there is a strong competitor to this monitor, dual 980s will be more affordable and apparently that's the optimal setup for 4K gaming anyway.

Well after seeing the lag results and that fact that this monitor is SST, it ticks all the right boxes for me except for the PWM issue and the fact that I'd need to go through an agent to purchase it.

I don't even know that the 240hz PWM would bother me but since I can't easily return it, I don't want to take that risk. Sigh. The 32" 4K panels are tempting but I'd really prefer the 40" size...I hate to wait for the Seiki but that might be what has to happen if no one else releases something to compete with this in the US.

On the upside, I have a single GTX 970 now and by the time there is a strong competitor to this monitor, dual 980s will be more affordable and apparently that's the optimal setup for 4K gaming anyway.

Be patient US folks!!!

Update: Despite rumours to the contrary, this model should be released in the US during Q1 2015.

https://pcmonitors.info/philips/philips-bdm4065uc-40-inch-uhd-4k-monitor/

He knows someone that works at Philips so maybe what he wrote is true.

Last edited:
Where does it say that? :confused:

The seller is "Wizbooks" ... if you click on the "1 new from ..." then "read more" ...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00OO9YWR0/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Ship from China! Brand New,Sealed in Box! May take 5-15 Business Days to arrive. Buyer responsible for Customs and other fee upon receiving the item. We will accept the return or exchange of product in its original package for a full refund in cases of our error. Returns allowed for any other reason will be subject to a restocking fee equal to 15% of the purchase amount. All returns must be initiated within 14 days of the invoice date.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I've decided to hold off for atleast a few more weeks anyway. So thats good news about the rumor.

With CES coming up im really hoping we'll hear confirmation from Seiki or Phillips about these panels coming to the US before Q2 2015.

It feels like i've been waiting since last years CES though. =p

Wait for a PWM Free version. @900$ this monitor is a joke since it uses 240hz PWM while all of the other non-Samsung and Sharp IGZO 4K monitors are PWM Free. Clearly Philips along with Samsung and Sharp have no respect for their customers, though people buying big+high res monitors tend to have the lowest standards.

TV reviewers point out that 4K TV's without motion interpolation are pointless since the sharpness is lost to LCD sample & hold blur and overdrive issues. The Philips monitor suffers from these things as well as PWM artifacts/blur.

PWM side effects
Motion Artifacts

Last edited:
Anyone who owns this monitor now worked or gamed on it for multiple hours: 3 or more? Did you experience headache, fatigue or strain? Which could be due to the PWM? That is the only show stopper for me to buy this monitor.

few of my old monitors before this one were PWM and i did not even know it. i got no problem with PWM so far. i have been using this monitor 8hrs non stop daily for a week..

I got LG 21:9 curved which its PWM free but i could not tell the different between the 2.

so i guess its depend on the person if sensitive to PWM or not .

Last edited:
Wait for a PWM Free version. @900$ this monitor is a joke since it uses 240hz PWM while all of the other non-Samsung and Sharp IGZO 4K monitors are PWM Free. Clearly Philips along with Samsung and Sharp have no respect for their customers, though people buying big+high res monitors tend to have the lowest standards.

TV reviewers point out that 4K TV's without motion interpolation are pointless since the sharpness is lost to LCD sample & hold blur and overdrive issues. The Philips monitor suffers from these things as well as PWM artifacts/blur.

PWM side effects
Motion Artifacts

Could you sound like a bigger elitist? Damn...
If this monitor had all the bells and whistles it wouldnt cost 700€.

If this monitor had all the bells and whistles it wouldnt cost 700€.

Because it makes sense for $900+ monitors to include PWM when sub $200 monitors are PWM-free.

Buying this crap basically tells monitor manufacturers that it's ok to produce awful products with negative health effects.

Given the contrast, resolution, uniformity, and response time; PWM dimming is an extremely minute stopping point in comparison. Mountain out of a molehill. The screen can be had for 800 dollars, and no other screens currently tick as many boxes in this range.

If this monitor had all the bells and whistles it wouldn't cost 700€.

Posting the truth does not make me an elitist, especially in the case of large 4K monitors (Acer, BenQ, LG, and Samsung 32") since the majority of people bought them before reviews came out (so far only the Samsung UD970 has been reviewed). The Philips is more popular than the similarly priced 32" 4K BenQ simply because it is bigger. Many 150$ monitors are PWM Free, there's no excuse for this.

To the discerning eye, v-synced motion looks gross (Motion artifacts) compared to PWM free monitors, plus there are the possible health issues. Obviously those who play with lower frame-rates and without v-sync won't notice since all they will see is a screen-tearing fest in most games.

Last edited:
tftcentral says that the PWM is only activated when you lower the brightness of the screen. Guess it's time to take out my sunglasses.

Would there also be PWM with a program like Flux? Or any other software that would make everything darker?

Because it makes sense for $900+ monitors to include PWM when sub $200 monitors are PWM-free.

Buying this crap basically tells monitor manufacturers that it's ok to produce awful products with negative health effects.

Not everyone is so sensitiv. So far i havent read a single person here or at OCUK complain about the PWM or headaches, and we all know what a nitpicky bunch we are.

Has there even been another >32" 16:9 4k screen announced? Something i can buy off amazon and no dodgy korea import

Posting the truth does not make me an elitist, especially in the case of large 4K monitors since the majority of people bought them before reviews came out. The Philips is more popular than the similarly priced 32" 4K BenQ simply because it is bigger. Many 150$ monitors are PWM Free, there's no excuse for this.

To the discerning eye, v-synced motion looks gross compared to PWM free monitors, plus there are the possible health issues. Obviously those who play with lower frame-rates and without v-sync won't notice since all they will see is a screen-tearing fest in most games.

This isnt a gaming monitor. Some people may use it as such, but this screen is for work and productivity. This is the first size you dont need to scale @ 4k, thats why it is more popular than the BENQ.

tftcentral says that the PWM is only activated when you lower the brightness of the screen. Guess it's time to take out my sunglasses.

Would there also be PWM with a program like Flux? Or any other software that would make everything darker?

F.lux does little more than lower the color temperature; PWM will persist.

PWM is present at any brightness setting below 100%; 100% brightness in this case would be 280.21 cd/m2, so you'd be right in needing to pull out your sunglasses because there's a good chance your eyes will spontaneously combust at such a high brightness.

Not everyone is so sensitiv. So far i havent read a single person here or at OCUK complain about the PWM or headaches, and we all know what a nitpicky bunch we are.

Has there even been another >32" 16:9 4k screen announced? Something i can buy off amazon and no dodgy korea import

Except there's no reason monitor manufacturers can't use direct current as opposed to be PWM.

The 'picky bunch' you refer to have next to no standards when choosing a monitor; they're the type that would buy any of the horrible 30" 1600p displays just to have 16:10.

PWM is largely undocumented, so who knows how it could impact long-term health.

This isnt a gaming monitor. Some people may use it as such, but this screen is for work and productivity. This is the first size you dont need to scale @ 4k, thats why it is more popular than the BENQ.

A monitor for productivity that uses a backlight mechanism known to cause headaches and eye-strain. Ok.

Last edited:
few of my old monitors before this one were PWM and i did not even know it. i got no problem with PWM so far. i have been using this monitor 8hrs non stop daily for a week..

I got LG 21:9 curved which its PWM free but i could not tell the different between the 2.

so i guess its depend on the person if sensitive to PWM or not .

I have no idea whether the other monitors I have/had have PWM or not, but I have never experienced any headaches or eyestrain from using this monitor and I think I've had it the longest.

On the issue of PWM, does this monitor start using PWM only after the brightness has been lowered to a cerain amount, like maybe around 30-40%? The Samsung I'm currently using only uses PWM once it hits under 40% brightness I believe.

Posting the truth does not make me an elitist, especially in the case of large 4K monitors (Acer, BenQ, LG, and Samsung 32") since the majority of people bought them before reviews came out (so far only the Samsung UD970 has been reviewed). The Philips is more popular than the similarly priced 32" 4K BenQ simply because it is bigger. Many 150$ monitors are PWM Free, there's no excuse for this.

To the discerning eye, v-synced motion looks gross (Motion artifacts) compared to PWM free monitors, plus there are the possible health issues. Obviously those who play with lower frame-rates and without v-sync won't notice since all they will see is a screen-tearing fest in most games.

Do you mind telling us what monitor you use?

If run at 100% brightness there will be NO PWM, flux or not. Flux is being used to allow the monitor to be set to 100% brightness, so there is no PWM, and yet soften the harshness of
100% brightness. It works for a lot of people.

Last edited:
F.lux does little more than lower the color temperature; PWM will persist.

PWM is present at any brightness setting below 100%; 100% brightness in this case would be 280.21 cd/m2, so you'd be right in needing to pull out your sunglasses because there's a good chance your eyes will spontaneously combust at such a high brightness.

Except there's no reason monitor manufacturers can't use direct current as opposed to be PWM.

The 'picky bunch' you refer to have next to no standards when choosing a monitor; they're the type that would buy any of the horrible 30" 1600p displays just to have 16:10.

PWM is largely undocumented, so who knows how it could impact long-term health.

A monitor for productivity that uses a backlight mechanism known to cause headaches and eye-strain. Ok.

yeah... quit crying so much. Dont like pwm? Dont buy it.

Just because you were born with crap eyeballs doesn't mean the rest of us were.

I bet you dont use cell phones or microwaves either :rolleyes:

"Health effects"

yeah... :rolleyes:

The problem with the Philips seems to be that the frequency of the backlight is too slow (240hz) to be properly synchronised with 60hz at all brightness levels.

According to the tftcentral review, when the brightness is set to 120cd/m2 (34% backlight), the backlight will be flickering on and off at a frequency of (0.34*240)= 81hz. This isn't evenly divisible into 60hz and I presume will result in some kind of artefacts at this setting.

Theoretically you may be able to avoid this by using a backlight setting that fits into an even multiple of 60, such as 50% or 25%, which would produce a backlight strobing of 120hz or 60hz respectively.

Interestingly, with a backlight setting of exactly 12.5%, the backlight should be strobing at 30hz, which would give you a 50% black frame insertion at 60hz, which in theory should give you very good motion resolution as per BFI / lightboost.

Last edited:
Many 150$ monitors are PWM Free, there's no excuse for this.

Except for the small little detail that those 150$ monitors are almost 1/3 of the size (area wise), 1/4 of the resolution and possibly with worse specs on most other things, and are trying to do what monitors have been doing for more than half a decade, so yeah if we removed this and other reasons, then yeah there really is no excuse.

Lets not kid ourselfs this monitor for this price isn't a piece of elite gear designed by the gods and manufactured by naked virgins in Germany, this is a monitor aimed at the low end of 4k (price wise), and despite this it is still one of the best 4k monitors around (as far as I can tell).
The monitor not being PWM free is not philips not caring or them trying to blow the minds of their customers, it's just one of the corners cut to get a monitor with this quality for this price at this point in time, and since the amount of people affected by PWM seems to be quite small, it was very likely quite a logical decision to make, after all there will be other monitors which are PWM free, for those that truly need/want it, just like there are monitors for those that need to do print work, and for gamers and so on.

thats not how it works, frequency is static @ 240

If the backlight is fixed at 240hz strobing, then the brightness is the same at all levels. At 100% backlight , it doesn't strobe at all. It's only on lower backlight settings that it has to strobe at lower frequencies to produce lower duty cycles.

afaik the 240hz figure means that its maximum rate of strobing is 240hz, so any lower strobing frequencies will be below 240hz, which is the cause of flickering.

If the backlight could strobe at faster rates than 240hz , then there is more temporal granularity for the backlight to produce more duty cycles that fit evenly into more refresh rates, avoiding flicker.

For example, if the backlight could strobe at 480hz, then it could achieve a 50% duty cycle by flashing on and off at 240hz. Whereas a 240hz backlight can only achieve a 50% duty cycle by flashing on and off at 120hz.

The problem occurs when you want to do backlight strobing that is not divisible by the LCD panel refresh, then you would get a mismatch between the two. I believe this is the cause of the flicker.

Otherwise, lowering the duty cycle by a frequency that is perfectly divisible by the panel refresh gives you perfect black frame insertion which would actually improve the motion resolution.

Be patient US folks!!!

https://pcmonitors.info/philips/philips-bdm4065uc-40-inch-uhd-4k-monitor/

He knows someone that works at Philips so maybe what he wrote is true.

I would be willing to take his word for it. Adam Simmons was the first to break news that the unit was actually SST at the time when many here believed it was gonna be MST. And now we know his source was right.

When the Philips comes here to the U.S. in Q1, lol... It's gonna have compete with the Seiki.

Back