Philips BDM4065UC - 40" 4K 60Hz monitor thread

I ordered One from Taobao for 700 usd, lets hope first that the screen comes to my house, and is working.

I'd appreciate it if you post to let us know how your experience is dealing with them from the States. I've tried 32" UHD and 49" (48.5" diagonal) UHD TV monitors, but always felt that something in the middle would be ideal. The fact that this have the same 110dpi that a 1440p 27" monitor has is just right by me.

I'd appreciate it if you post to let us know how your experience is dealing with them from the States. I've tried 32" UHD and 49" (48.5" diagonal) UHD TV monitors, but always felt that something in the middle would be ideal. The fact that this have the same 110dpi that a 1440p 27" monitor has is just right by me.

I don't think he lives in the states.

I actually asked for a PWM verification earlier in the thread and was disappointed when I never received a response.

Good to know, though. At 240hz PWM, I wouldn't touch this thing with a 50 foot pole.

------------------

Last edited:
Oh sorry, I missed your post where you asked me to test PWM.

Not a big deal, I understand you were probably excited to get your monitor at the time. I just wish checking for PWM when receiving a new monitor was common practice because it's really a make or break issue for a lot of people.

From my understanding higher is better. So 240Hz is not that bad!?!?!?

Higher is better, yes; but 240hz is actually insultingly low.

Maybe I will sound stupid but does this mean that brightness at 100 = flicker free?

That is correct.

Not a big deal, I understand you were probably excited to get your monitor at the time. I just wish checking for PWM when receiving a new monitor was common practice because it's really a make or break issue for a lot of people.

Higher is better, yes; but 240hz is actually insultingly low.

That is correct.

-------------------------

Last edited:
Some monitors have even 100Hz.

Well, I upped the brigthness to 100 and re did the test you linked but I still see several lines instead of 1. Is it supposed to be so?

Sorry, I should've mentioned, but the picture you linked is actually not how it's supposed to be done.

The test is meant for eye-tracking, so follow the lines with your eyes; if you see multiple lines in close proximity to each other with just your eye - it uses PWM. If you see a single blurred line, then it doesn't use PWM.

The test can be done with a camera to show proof, but it requires the camera to be in motion (following the line) when the picture is taken.

100hz PWM sounds scary; higher is better generally only applies to extremely high PWM rates, generally anything over 10khz (10000hz) as they can't be perceived by a camera.

I see many info about gaming on this monitor.
Can some owner of this monitor tell me how the monitor performance when it comes to retouching photo's.

Does it produce accurate colors that can be used to produce high quality pictures, when calibrated with the right tool.?

I live in Chiang Mai thailand, the screen is shipping soon. I already had a 40'' inch 4K before ( LG 4k UB800T ) Even with 40'' , 4k is tiny, but lot better than a 28 or 32 that you should avoid in my opinion. It all depends how far you want the screen from your eyes.
After experience, I would choose 48 '' over 40 '' but today they are just Tvs offering that, and there is only one tv doing a good job at 4 k for computer ( 50 '' Panasonic AX800 4K )
Doing a good job because it has Display port + real Hdmi2.0 ( SST 4k on computer at 60 Hz / 4:4:4 ) , and the lowest 4KTV input lag of the market ( around 35 ms ) . and also 2 000 Hz Back light.
And obviously, the price is high, about 2200 usd.

Anyway, about the 4K 40''. I had to scale the windows text to 115% to feel confortable, ( because I dont want a 40'' 2 feets from my eyes.

Hope it helps, as a 3d designer / 2d artist / and gamer. I will post some feedback about experience on photoshop and color quality, and also about Input lag and playing FPS on the Philips.

I live in Chiang Mai thailand, the screen is shipping soon. I already had a 40'' inch 4K before ( LG 4k UB800T ) Even with 40'' , 4k is tiny, but lot better than a 28 or 32 that you should avoid in my opinion. It all depends how far you want the screen from your eyes.
After experience, I would choose 48 '' over 40 '' but today they are just Tvs offering that, and there is only one tv doing a good job at 4 k for computer ( 50 '' Panasonic AX800 4K ). Doing a good job because it has Display port + real Hdmi2.0 ( SST 4k on computer at 60 Hz / 4:4:4 ) , and the lowest 4KTV input lag of the market ( around 35 ms ) . and also 2 000 Hz Back light. And obviously, the price is high, about 2200 usd.
Anyway, about the 4K 40''. I had to scale the windows text to 115% to feel confortable, ( because I dont want a 40'' 2 feets from my eyes.
Hope it helps, as a 3d designer / 2d artist / and gamer. I will post some feedback about experience on photoshop and color quality, and also about Input lag and playing FPS on the Philips.

So what is the distance you will keep the 40" from your eyes?

The size of acceptable monitor depends of course on the viewing distance but there is something like psychological personal space which means monitor on the desk feels private, so it is not the same having monitor on the desk and big display hanging on a wall. Now if a 48-50" display is placed on normal desk, even assuming that it touches the desk it will feel to high. It will also feel too wide since the viewing angle to the left/right borders will be too big (unless the displays is curved which helps). What do you think about this?

it will feel to high. It will also feel too wide since the viewing angle to the left/right borders will be too big (unless the displays is curved which helps). What do you think about this?

Not the guy, but we must have different definitions of normal desk. I have 3 39 inch panels on my desk and none of them feel too close or too big or anything like that...

There is a definite demand for a panel like this, and plenty of people (especially on this board) have a desk/setup that will accommodate it.

After experience, I would choose 48 '' over 40 '' but today they are just Tvs offering that, and there is only one tv doing a good job at 4 k for computer ( 50 '' Panasonic AX800 4K )
Doing a good job because it has Display port + real Hdmi2.0 ( SST 4k on computer at 60 Hz / 4:4:4 ) , and the lowest 4KTV input lag of the market ( around 35 ms ) . and also 2 000 Hz Back light.
And obviously, the price is high, about 2200 usd.

I hope you get yours soon - it would make an awesome christmas present to yourself!

Tftcentral just posted their review, very favorable besides the PWM issue.
Hope europe gets some stock soon!

There is some guy on another forum which claims he measured input lag vs his AOC 2770 that has ca 15ms lag, and the Philips had 8ms more lag (it was 0.5-1 frames behind), so the Philips has 23ms of lag according to him.. hmm
He was testing this @ 2560x1440 res on both monitors, and took 14 pictures.

Edit:

I see that tftcentral measured 24ms lag.

The screen showed a total average display lag of 24.0 ms as measured with SMTT 2. Taking into account half the average G2G response time at 3.7ms ('off' SmartResponse overdrive setting), we can estimate that there is ~20.3 ms of signal processing lag on this screen. This is only just over 1 frame and represents a moderate level of lag. Should be ok for most gamers although some competitive or FPS type gamers might find it a bit too high.

The screen is detected as a single display (Single Stream Transport, SST) as opposed to MST for those interested.

There is a hidden factory menu which can be accessed by holding the joystick left as you turn on the screen. Once on, go into the normal OSD and there's a new section at the bottom. Changes are not advised and are entirely at your own risk.

The Philips BDM4065UC utilises an unusual panel from a manufacturer we've not seen before. The panel is made by TP Vision, who are a subsidiary of TPV Technology and Philips. So effectively it's a Philips-own panel used here. It is Vertical Alignment (VA) technology and the panel part is the TPT400LA-K1QS1.N Rev: SC1A. The panel is capable of producing 16.7 million colours. This is achieved with an 8-bit colour depth. The panel is confirmed when dismantling the screen as shown below, as well as within the OSD factory menu:

There is also a color profile here: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm#p

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/philips_bdm4065uc.htm

Last edited:
Interesting, so it uses one of Philips own internal panels.
The response times are also different than other VA tested on tftcentral... (0-50,0-100 much faster but 0-255 slower)

Last edited:
I wonder if lag wouldn't be less on native resolution with no scaler involved, if you say that 1440p on both monitors ..

OK, After reading this I have decided to buy it NOW. But I live in the US. Will someone please tell me EXACTLY how to buy this from taobao.com?

Thanks

Count me in on this... If someone from the US has bought one please share where you purchased it at and how much it cost

I am now trying the "Philips BDM4065UC user define mode" profile from tftcentral and their settings:

eZlKakl.png

It looks nice here on the first look..

I am on those setting from tftcentral as well, its not too bright ,usable for normal day to day and movie look great on it so far .

20ms of input lag is quite a lot. I wonder if the korean companies will release a bypassed version of this.

20ms of input lag is quite a lot. I wonder if the korean companies will release a bypassed version of this.

Relatively speaking its not that bad... Its on par with more monitors than it is with TV's.

Now if they'd just release the damn thing in the states so i don't have to pay twice the MSRP that'd be great =p

20ms isn't bad by any means, and the pixel response is surprisingly good with the awful overshoot inducing overdrive turned off.

I can't really fathom why anyone would pay gratuitous amounts of money for something that uses an insultingly low PWM rate of 240hz, though.

At the local shop, where I have ordered the BDM4065UC, they offer 'Pixelwaranty' for 50E on this monitor. Is this worthwhile? Is there a reasonable change that on a VA screen, like this BDM4065UC, one or more of the pixals is DOA? Or is it a waste of money and could I better save the 50E to upgrade my graphicscard later on?

Just read the TFT Central review. Surprisingly good monitor. Great contrast and quite fast. But the 240Hz PWM is very disappointing. Hopefully, TP Vision will sell these VA panels to other manufacturers, so flicker-free versions hit the market.

A PWM-free version of this with some form of adaptive sync would be the ultimate screen for multimedia content consumption.
If it sells well enough, maybe Philips will make a new revision.

Im tempted to get one of these but I would assume Im SOL if any warranty issues came up since Im here in the states

If you look at this comparison from the review 20ms is very good

Lag Classification
To help in this section we will also introduce a broader classification system for these results to help categorise each screen as one of the following levels:

Class 1) Less than 16ms / 1 frame lag - should be fine for gamers, even at high levels

Class 2) A lag of 16 - 32ms / One to two frames - moderate lag but should be fine for many gamers. Caution advised for serious gaming and FPS

Class 3) A lag of more than 32ms / more than 2 frames - Some noticeable lag in daily usage, not suitable for high end gaming

hgkt2JB.png

OK, After reading this I have decided to buy it NOW. But I live in the US. Will someone please tell me EXACTLY how to buy this from taobao.com?

Thanks

I got your PM. Read through the thread, particularly my responses to Chucco. All the information is there. You just need to find a Taobao agent that ships to the US and has good reviews / you think you can trust. Can't help you there though.

As to your other question, I'm currently located in Singapore. Taobao agents are a dime a dozen here so that part was pretty easy for me.

I got your PM. Read through the thread, particularly my responses to Chucco. All the information is there. You just need to find a Taobao agent that ships to the US and has good reviews / you think you can trust. Can't help you there though.

As to your other question, I'm currently located in Singapore. Taobao agents are a dime a dozen here so that part was pretty easy for me.

Well, that is my big question, how do I find an agent, on the website or off? What happens if I go to taobao.com and just click on a buy link?

Does this monitor pass FCC certification? I was looking at the cheaper Microboard version of this monitor but Mircoboard told me theirs doesnt pass FCC certification and thus customs wouldn't release it to me if I tired to buy one here in the states.

Back