Philips BDM4065UC - 40" 4K 60Hz monitor thread

Should be said you don't actually need an agent, at least not if you're from Thailand since Taobao actually covers that region, that being said, if you want to contact the seller you either need to speak Chinese, or know someone that does, since most taobao sellers will not know how to speak English, which is where most agents come in, they give points on how taobao works (taobao rating system is hilarious), handle shipping which may be required for certain countries, and they handle communication between the buyer and seller, they may also provide some alternative payment methods like paypal and what not, although that is of little use since taobao is really like ebay, except a lot bigger.

For anyone thinking of ordering from taobao it isn't just the Price + P&P that needs to be considered, since this is the sort of item that will very likely be stopped at customs, so in all likely the price would be the price of (the seller + P&P) + vat (over the declared price) + any customs fees.

P.S. Not actually correcting you, just clarifying things for people that don't know what taobao is.

Also not sure if you are aware of this, but you would very likely need to add your region VAT to that price too, plus some fees, since this product would almost certainly be stopped at customs and get taxed.

Not sure if this applies to all agents (there are many!) but the one I use automates the entire process. I submit the link of the item I want, pay up (this would be the cost of the item as listed on the Taobao seller's page) and wait. About 10 days later I receive an email telling me the item is ready for delivery / collection plus an invoice for everything else I owe. This would include the international shipping fee, import tax if appliable (there is a decent tax free threshold) as well as the agent fee. Once I pay the item is then released for delivery / collection (in this case I chose collection since it was too large for delivery).

When everything was done and dusted I paid slightly less than US$1,000 for the monitor, which I think is a very fair price considering it includes shipping, agent fees and taxes.

The one I had contact before had a similar system, minus the collection thing, they just sent the item and you dealt with the customs, which from my experience is the fastest and cheapest way to do things (this varies from country to country OFC).
But yes that is not a bad price all things considering, but that's generally taobao thing despite the added problems it's usually still cheaper, I mean you can get this monitor for around 3900 yuan (just the price of the monitor, not everything else) that's 630$, I suspect even if/when it releases in the US it will still be a bit more expensive than this (but OFC there will be no P&P, agent and customs fees).

That being said can't advise people from Europe to order this item from taobao, even if it ended up being cheaper, the difference wouldn't really be worth it, since best case scenario (not sure how philips handle this) you get 1 less year of warranty.
It is OFC likely the best way to get this monitor during this year, since china seems to have ample stock of this monitor unlike EU.

You're right - I got mine from China, ecommerce platform called Taobao (kinda like eBay Buy-It-Now). You'll need to find a Thai Taobao shipping agent (I tried googling but the results were all in Thai - can't help there!), I can give you the link of the seller I purchased from - legit, high sales volume - and you'll need to work with the shipping agent to buy it. Let me know if you need more information.

sweet !:) It would be nice to know the seller name that you used so I can try to order directly from the website ( as it seems Taobao can ship in Thailand without Agent )

I will wait the review from Tft-central ( they say *coming soon* on the main page ) and if that's good, then I suppose I ll have to learn a bit of Chinese.

thanks again for the great help.

This monitor is SST :D:

5hdNhJ6.jpg

I booted Yosemite with stock AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext and latest Nvidia Web Driver.

Last edited:
Some of you guys are totally crazy :)

If I was going to spend 1000$ on imported display I'd totally wait for proper reviews first :p

I rather get a 50" 4k with that price. May be Vizio will fix their firmwares and have 4:4:4 by next year models.

I saw this listing ... can't figure out if ships to U.S. ... good "ratings" for seller ...
Has anyone used this website before?

http://www.easeagent.com/taobao/view/id/42050750234

$703 + shipping ... is "America" = "USA" ?

Weird that URL is "easeagent" but logo on site says "EsseAngent" - WTF?

And "weight" is 500g ?! Fishy...

Last edited:
I saw this listing ... can't figure out if ships to U.S. ... good "ratings" for seller ...

Try registering and speaking with the Agent if you can.
America can mean Brazil, New York or Canada. The price is in USD though.

Another thing to note is that the dropdown is in reverse order.
Which means China and America are the first two options.

I rather get a 50" 4k with that price. May be Vizio will fix their firmwares and have 4:4:4 by next year models.
Agreed, but at this point we might as well wait a few more months for Samsung's Freesync 4k monitors. I'm sure they'll make a 50" version of it.
Or the monitors with DP1.3, so we can run 4k@120hz! :D

I would be a bit weary of using an agent that features engrish so heavily, also there are taobao sellers with the exact same rating but selling the monitor significantly cheaper.

BTW you don't need an agent to order something to the USA, they already have P&P costs and accept payments from the USA

I received this monitor today (from Amazon UK, after an email earlier in the week saying it would be delivered in Jan-Feb...). It's big, and pretty. However, I'm not able to get it to run at 60hz at maximum resolution. I've got a Radeon HD 7950 and it's connected up from the mini displayport output to the displayport input (via a mini-to-normal adapter).

To start with, catalyst control centre would automatically select 30Hz when I chose 3840x2160. Now, after a few reboots, updating drivers and installing the monitor inf file, it *will* let me select 60Hz, but when I click Apply the monitor goes blank then displays "No video input" or similar.

In fact, the highest resolution that works at 60Hz is, (I think) 1680x1050 from the control panel, and 1920x1080 in the Elite Dangerous combat demo (via editing the settings xml file). Any higher and I get "No video input".

I've gone into the monitor settings and chosen Displayport 1.2, and all the specs I can find on the graphics card say that it supports Displayport 1.2.

Am I doing something wrong? I'd like to get it running at 60Hz because things feel juddery at 30Hz. :confused:

Thanks!

Do you have another DP cable you can try? Sounds like the drivers are okay as you now have the selection of 60Hz at native resolution.

Am I doing something wrong?
It seems you're doing everything right. Your videocard and your monitor both definitely support 3840x2160 @ 60Hz.

-Radeon 7950 spec sheet:

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/desktop/7000/7900

-Philips BDM4065UC spec PDF:

http://www.m4c.magnavox.com/files/b/bdm4065uc_11/bdm4065uc_11_pss_.pdf

So you can rule those out, assuming they're not defective.

Maybe try a different (older) driver version, or a different DisplayPort cable and/or adapter. If possible, test the monitor on a different PC with 4k output capability. If it works, you know it is not defective.

In fact, the highest resolution that works at 60Hz is, (I think) 1680x1050 from the control panel, and 1920x1080 in the Elite Dangerous combat demo (via editing the settings xml file). Any higher and I get "No video input".
Have you tried a HDMI connection? If 1920x1080 @ 60Hz is possible over HDMI, you at least know the problem is DisplayPort only. Maybe a crappy cable and/or adapter with lower than normal bandwidth.

Last edited:
disappointing to see these wont be sold in the US. I much prefer to see a monitor in person before I buy.

disappointing to see these wont be sold in the US. I much prefer to see a monitor in person before I buy.

True, but there's going to be a surge of 4K monitors by March, so we just need a little bit more patience. Certainly some other vendors will be using this panel and there are others coming as well.

I personally am going to try to hold out for DP1.3/HDMI 2.0/G-sync(or similar) on 40", for the no-compromise PPI. I want a monitor that will be good for 3-5 years. I've been on 2560x1600 30" for 7 years now - Samsung 305T 3yr died, still on HP ZR30w now almost 4 years.)

(I think that 5K or 8K has such rapidly diminishing returns for almost any use, sort of like smartphones with > 1080p screens.)

(I think that 5K or 8K has such rapidly diminishing returns for almost any use, sort of like smartphones with > 1080p screens.)
This comparison does not hold since monitors can be curved and extended and so there is clear need for 5K, 8K and more just to substitute for the multimonitor sets.

New input lag test, with both monitors in game mode.

Philips BDM4065UC vs Dell UP2414Q. This time I did not pause the test :)

hah, difference in black level is pretty obvious in the photos
The UP2414Q apparently has an unknown input lag thats below 25ms according to overclockers.ru review. (the measurement failed for some reason)
do you feel about the same delay when moving the cursor or aiming in games?

This comparison does not hold since monitors can be curved and extended and so there is clear need for 5K, 8K and more just to substitute for the multimonitor sets.

I don't agree, mostly because I expect that at 5K and beyond on 40" or smaller the PPI goes up and the text has to be enlarged, which starts defeating much of the purpose of more gross desktop space that comes with higher resolution.

Going over 40", even curved, means a lot of head movement fatigue, unless one just wants largely passive windows around the edge of the visual field.

5K or higher wouldn't be bad, but I think over 4K just has diminished advantages; whereas jump from 1080p to 1600p and 2160p are all qualitative nice improvements given an adequate physical size to keep the text PPI sane.
(Granted, for photoshop or video work, my line of reasoning wouldn't apply.)

I took some photos comparing colors Philips vs Dell.

Black:

B80zLXe.jpg

White:

vK1TkF1.jpg

Multiple:

b8nrzoU.jpg

hcv42SU.jpg

JC5JTZr.jpg

3uxrxAm.jpg

The colors on the photos does not show exactly as it does on the screens :(
When I look at the photos, my Dell IPS looks terrrible.

I'm afraid this is normal, that Dell truly has some evil glow.
Reddish-orangey from top and sides and it goes purple-blue from the bottom.
A real lightshow...maybe you can use it as decoration for christmas ;)

http://youtu.be/5t2_IC_wr5I

0iEjAJQ.jpg
1mBjAGZ.jpg
YURn0zZ.jpg

If you want to get it to look better in photos you have to put it in the center and photograph from at least a meter distance

Going over 40", even curved, means a lot of head movement fatigue, unless one just wants largely passive windows around the edge of the visual field.
Do you say it from your usage experience or it just theoretically seems to you as how it should felt?
When i used 50" 4K, had no problems adapting to size. And heck, even on 21-27" i rarely used apps fullscreen/maximized with exception of games/movie playback/ones where maximized meant less zooming in/out while working (eg. graphic editors). All the rest like office apps, browser windows, mail clients and others better worked in portrait window forms on part of screen. Nothing changed on 50" 4K, except i could fit more windows in parallel or use even bigger vertical window sizes.
Also i somehow don't notice "head movement fatique" or alike issues mentioned in multiple screen setups that were around long before big 4K screens, and at least in most common setups of horizontal placement being way wider then these.

Does anyone have any experience ordering from the seller asking 1.3k on ebay in the US?

I think that only EU people have the monitor at this point but after phillips tweeted that they have no plans to bring this monitor to market in the US i kind of want to bite the bullet and snag it if that's the case.

Does anyone have any experience ordering from the seller asking 1.3k on ebay in the US?

I think that only EU people have the monitor at this point but after phillips tweeted that they have no plans to bring this monitor to market in the US i kind of want to bite the bullet and snag it if that's the case.

no, it isn't even out in the EU yet. Only available in some selected shops in some selected countries.

thi sthing is brand new.

no, it isn't even out in the EU yet. Only available in some selected shops in some selected countries.

thi sthing is brand new.

It is released in Sweden according to Sweclockers, and the recommended price by Philips is 7990, but some stores sells it for 6990. I couldn't find any product page for the monitor on Philips.se but they have put the manual for it on the support pages.

Last edited:
It is released in Sweden according to Sweclockers, and the recommended price by Philips is 7990, but some stores sells it for 6990. I couldn't find any product page for the monitor on Philips.se but they have put the manual for it on the support pages.

Yes, the press release is not even a week old. Still it isn't available in most european countries and there is no product page.

Got the monitor yesterday, jeez this thing is huge!

Quick question - is there a remote or equivalent one could buy for this monitor? Would be nice to switch source input without having to use the switch everytime.

I don't agree, mostly because I expect that at 5K and beyond on 40" or smaller the PPI goes up and the text has to be enlarged, which starts defeating much of the purpose of more gross desktop space that comes with higher resolution. Going over 40", even curved, means a lot of head movement fatigue, unless one just wants largely passive windows around the edge of the visual field. 5K or higher wouldn't be bad, but I think over 4K just has diminished advantages; whereas jump from 1080p to 1600p and 2160p are all qualitative nice improvements given an adequate physical size to keep the text PPI sane.
(Granted, for photoshop or video work, my line of reasoning wouldn't apply.)

The issue of curved monitors is not well investigated but have you ever heard from people using multimonitors setups both for gaming and professional apps complaints about head movement fatigue??? They rather say it is an added value and nice to use.

Regarding the ppi and text size this is directly related to the size of the display. If lots of pixels are crammed into smal area there is obviously a problem. I have 27"@1440p which is consider normal but 40"@4K has the same ppi so it would also be normal.

Does VA panels suffer from burn in?

Few minutes ago I saw message on this monitor that using static images for more then 30 min may result in a burn in.

I doubt it, unless maybe you leave it on the same image for days, weeks..
My display actually has a "Burn-In Mode" setting in the hidden service menu but it is turned off by default.
Monitor on time is over 1000hrs already and I never encountered any image retention.

Older MVA panels had very serious burn-in, one early monitor I had was as bad as an early plasma in that respect. I've had 2 SPVAs in use for 5 & 8 years respective (Dell 2405 and 2407) and never seen comparable issues on those. So I guess the answer is 'it depends'.

Just an idea. Maybe it's more sensitive during the initial period, and that's why the warning comes up? I'd ask Philips.

Technically every LCD screen does.

Very generally (with my limited knowledge on the subject), LCD's don't suffer "burn in" like CRTs or plasma, where a phosphor will literally "burn" into an state . LCD's can, however, suffer from "image persistence", which is similar but generally reversible, as the underlying tech is different and not permanently damaged.

Last edited:
I'm starting to think, what if I will encounter it in the future while playing a game or something.

I highly doubt this.
These are extremely specialized patterns just for these pixel inversion tests and most probably won't be encountered "in the wild".

Can I ask, what exactly are you looking for with those patterns? Is there some sort of interference that I can't spot from your photos?

I highly doubt this.
These are extremely specialized patterns just for these pixel inversion tests and most probably won't be encountered "in the wild".

Ok, I hope so :)

So far I've found it adds a green tint to Age of Empires fog-of-war areas, and there's a slight horizontal color distortion when menus are open over it. But in AoE there's not much magenta, which is a worse trigger.

Even if I do encounter it, maybe it will not be so badly and bother me too much.

Back