Philips BDM4065UC - 40" 4K 60Hz monitor thread

Expect a bit more attention in this thread now its posted up at RPS...

I see here in AU they've started listing pricing for it. $1049..

Wonder if the mainstream stores will get it? Pretty happy to pay that price, but would really like to check it out before ordering.

It was officially annouced in Poland yesterday - official price 2899PLN which is around 700 EUR. And since we have one of highest VAT rates (23%) in EU it should be similarly priced in other European coutries

I won't be able to test the input lag for you.

I found only 2 guys which has CRT monitor for sale, they are both in another city and I was gonna go pick them up while I drive someone to the airport but one of the guys won't be at home when I'm there and I don't feel to go there another day cuz it will cost me extra fuel.

The other guy wanted me to pay him in advance but I told him I would pay when I pick it up and he got upset about that so now he doesn't wanna sell it, lol. I already ordered a "VGA to DVI" cable and wasted $13.

ahh too bad was looking forward to it ... maybe you can compare it to a current monitor you have and we can extrapolate meaning see if its inline with it~

ahh too bad was looking forward to it ... maybe you can compare it to a current monitor you have and we can extrapolate meaning see if its inline with it~

I can compare it with my Dell UP2414Q, but I don't know how much input lag it has.

Hey Eleana/=)(=, are you going to do any gaming tests on it? Not after anything scientific really, more just your opinion.

Is it glossy or does it have AG? If so, how aggressive/bad is it?

Hey Eleana/=)(=, are you going to do any gaming tests on it? Not after anything scientific really, more just your opinion.

Ofc, but I play only League of Legends nowdays, may install some FPS game like CS to test also.

I've been looking for this monitor in Australia. I contacted Philips and they said it should be in stores before Christmas and have an RRP of A$1099. Hopefully the street price is more like $949 - I'm looking forward to getting one and pairing it up with my 2014 15" Retina MBP

Decryption, Scorptec have them and are showing up at 1050. I've emailed them and asked when they will be available for viewing in Melbourne.

Have you not tried Googling the model number? It is clearly quite glossy from the pictures. Technicially semi-gloss to some people. No need to worry about aggressive AG.

Decryption, Scorptec have them and are showing up at 1050. I've emailed them and asked when they will be available for viewing in Melbourne.

Oh nice! Thanks for the heads up. Scorptec are on the pricier side of PC stores, so maybe a cheaper one (CPL perhaps) will get stock in a bit cheaper. Let me know if you get a response regarding viewing the monitor. I know the Philips person told me on the phone on Monday that they expect stock to arrive in country next week and will be sent out to stores the week after.

I have this monitor now (UK), here are my initial observations (in no particular order):

1. The screen is semi-gloss. It's definitely less matte than other screens, and the Benq 32" panel I've been using for the last few days. No hint of AG problems for sure.

2. Height from desk to the underside of the monitor is just under 3"

3. Blacks are inky, gaming @ 4k in Elite Dangerous is simply stunning.

4. The top of the monitor is too high for desktop work using the supplied stand. I plan to buy a desk stand and drop it to desk height - this will be perfect.

5. Very surprised to find 1440p scaling works well (very limited testing so far) - but Arma III and Crysis 3 very playable and no obvious issues sorted. This has made me quite excited as I have best of both worlds, especially for games which aren't SLI friendly (I run SLI 970s).

6. Input lag. I can't measure this, but I can say that again, from my limited testing, this isn't severe. BF4 very playable, and so long as 60fps is constant there's no issue. Certainly, I think it's slightly less than the 32" VA panels which are out there (Acer/Benq/Samsung).

That said, my testing hasn't been comprehensive and right now I'm pretty much wow'd by the panel. So the caveats: I'm no competitive gamer, and if you are then this isn't going to be for you full stop - stick to your ROG Swift :) I can tell there is lag, especially in something like CS:Source, but for me it's not a deal breaker and this unqualified eye doesn't think it's bad enough to be a problem (for me).

7. Uh oh. Now for the one problem which will get people talking. Sitting in a completely dark room from 3' away, the corners are clearly uneven and if you didn't know better, you'd say it was a backlight issue. I've not spent any proper time looking at this, but moving your head so the corner is on-axis eliminates the problem, which this is an issue with viewing angles. It's not that things become difficult to read or see, but the blacks turn to a slight grey.

Let me say now that under normal conditions the blacks look inky black, and the issue isn't like the horrendous 34" superwide problems out there. But it's definitely noticeable in a dark room with a backlight bleed test running.

For me? Well I've been through a host of monitors, Dell U2713HM, U2412M, Qnix 2710, BenQ 3200PLT, various TN ones and none of them hold a candle to this. It's not perfect, but it's the closest I've seen for a multi-purpose monitor. 4k, 40" and under £700 to boot? I'm happy so far....

PS If connecting via displayport this runs 1.1 by default - so make sure you change it in the menus to achieve 60hz (yes, it took me a few minutes to work out during which time I thought "omg this is awful" just from moving a mouse around! )

Just what I wanted to read, not a professional gamer by any stretch and this sounds like the perfect compromise. Going to get one off TaoBao if it doesn't hit US by Christmas. Thanks for the impressions, MrGrumpie.

Thanks for the post MrGrumpie.

5. Very surprised to find 1440p scaling works well (very limited testing so far) - but Arma III and Crysis 3 very playable and no obvious issues sorted. This has made me quite excited as I have best of both worlds, especially for games which aren't SLI friendly (I run SLI 970s).

How does 1080p scaling work? If 1440p is good then 1080p being 1/4th must be very good. Mainly interested in doing this for extremely demanding games like Crysis 3.

7. Uh oh. Now for the one problem which will get people talking. Sitting in a completely dark room from 3' away, the corners are clearly uneven and if you didn't know better, you'd say it was a backlight issue. I've not spent any proper time looking at this, but moving your head so the corner is on-axis eliminates the problem, which this is an issue with viewing angles. It's not that things become difficult to read or see, but the blacks turn to a slight grey.

Let me say now that under normal conditions the blacks look inky black, and the issue isn't like the horrendous 34" superwide problems out there. But it's definitely noticeable in a dark room with a backlight bleed test running.

This is just the typical VA cone effect. Anyone who's in for VA already knew this would be there. Just a trade-off, not a flaw.

To me it's a non-issue, especially compared to IPS! Man, these blacks looks beautiful in Elite!

I've been sitting on the fence for a while, hearing that the world isn't ready for 4k gaming yet, but damn so far it's good.

I have this monitor now (UK), here are my initial observations (in no particular order):

1. The screen is semi-gloss. It's definitely less matte than other screens, and the Benq 32" panel I've been using for the last few days. No hint of AG problems for sure.

2. Height from desk to the underside of the monitor is just under 3"

3. Blacks are inky, gaming @ 4k in Elite Dangerous is simply stunning.

4. The top of the monitor is too high for desktop work using the supplied stand. I plan to buy a desk stand and drop it to desk height - this will be perfect.

6. Input lag. I can't measure this, but I can say that again, from my limited testing, this isn't severe. BF4 very playable, and so long as 60fps is constant there's no issue. Certainly, I think it's slightly less than the 32" VA panels which are out there (Acer/Benq/Samsung).

That said, my testing hasn't been comprehensive and right now I'm pretty much wow'd by the panel. So the caveats: I'm no competitive gamer, and if you are then this isn't going to be for you full stop - stick to your ROG Swift :) I can tell there is lag, especially in something like CS:Source, but for me it's not a deal breaker and this unqualified eye doesn't think it's bad enough to be a problem (for me).

For me? Well I've been through a host of monitors, Dell U2713HM, U2412M, Qnix 2710, BenQ 3200PLT, various TN ones and none of them hold a candle to this. It's not perfect, but it's the closest I've seen for a multi-purpose monitor. 4k, 40" and under £700 to boot? I'm happy so far....

PS If connecting via displayport this runs 1.1 by default - so make sure you change it in the menus to achieve 60hz (yes, it took me a few minutes to work out during which time I thought "omg this is awful" just from moving a mouse around! )

thanks for the update there ...

btw where did you get it at in the uk?
also do you think someone can run one of these with just 1 970?

if you get time mind sending us a pic of your desktop - thanks

thanks for the update there ...

btw where did you get it at in the uk?
also do you think someone can run one of these with just 1 970?

if you get time mind sending us a pic of your desktop - thanks

I'm away for a couple of days but will try and post a couple of pics when I get back.

I bought it from Dabs on a pre-order. Apparently they're the only retailer getting them prior to Christmas and their whole stock went on pre-orders.

As to whether you can run one on a single 970? For desktop work sure, for gaming? Just looking at the benchmarks and I think most new titles will be unplayable. Scaling to 1440p though, and it wouldn't be a problem, but that kind of defeats the purpose of this panel if you're a gamer.

I figured out this by purely theoretical considerations, it is great to hear it will be perfect after the drop as I really suspected this:D.

7. Uh oh. Now for the one problem which will get people talking. Sitting in a completely dark room from 3' away, the corners are clearly uneven and if you didn't know better, you'd say it was a backlight issue. I've not spent any proper time looking at this, but moving your head so the corner is on-axis eliminates the problem, which this is an issue with viewing angles.

Confirms my predictions viewing angle to the edges will be but the only issue of this monitor. Luckily it is a minor one. Theoretically speaking this is inherent problem of LCD but it can be eliminated by curved panel.

MrGrumpie, you said you had a BenQ BL3200PT earlier. I have that monitor too at the moment, but I'm considering the Philips 40" as an upgrade. If you had to compare the BenQ and Philips, is the Philips better in every way, or is the BenQ still superior in some aspects? I'm particularly interested in the amount of ghosting. Also, as you may know, some BenQ panels have a problem with darker vertical bands across the screen. Does the Philips suffer from that problem as well?

EDIT:

I found this picture, which seems to indicate the Philips BDM4065UC also suffers from the vertical band problem, as described in the BenQ BL3200PT thread. From the top left, move a few inch to the right and you will see a darker vertical band. Hopefully, this is just the picture and not a problem with the panel, but it worries me since it looks exactly like the problem of the BenQ BL3200PT.

Last edited:
Hi MrGrumpie,

Many thanks for your thoughts, could you help with a couple of questions?

1. If you have two sources connected, e.g. by DP and HDMI, how easy is it to switch between them i.e. do you need to go through OSD menus or is there a simple physical switch?
2. Does 1080p scale up well and look ok?
3. Have you tried any 4K video? I'm thinking of using Netflix's 4K service

Thanks!

MrGrumpie pls!

Haha, didn't know what you signed up for did you. Couple questions

1. Black crush... I know its inherent to VA panels. I currently have the 39" Seiki 4k, and when I play games, specifically Star Citizen, I can get some really gnarly black crush to where I can barely see my ship. I'm glad you have Elite, because it's a decent comparison. You noticing any heavy black crush on that panel?

2. Banding. Any banding that you've noticed? The Seiki had pretty bad banding before I used a customer driver made by a forum member. Could you check out http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/5143/1vs6.png and see if there's any blocky or choppiness? Should be a smooth transition between the colors.

Thanks for your time!

Hi guys, I'm away until Sunday but will try to answer your questions and do some more testing then

[X]eltic;1041274776 said:
EDIT:

I found this picture, which seems to indicate the Philips BDM4065UC also suffers from the vertical band problem, as described in the BenQ BL3200PT thread. From the top left, move a few inch to the right and you will see a darker vertical band. Hopefully, this is just the picture and not a problem with the panel, but it worries me since it looks exactly like the problem of the BenQ BL3200PT.

That looks like bad reflections on the screen -- and not something actually on the screen.

[X]eltic;1041276034 said:
To be perfectly clear, this is what I'm talking about:

http://i60.tinypic.com/34ybgcw.jpg

I hope you're right about it being a reflection, but it does look exactly the same as the vertical band issue that plagues the BenQ BL3200PT and even the Eizo Foris [1][2][3]. Just compare:

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040995501&postcount=848

Going by that photo -- it's clearly a reflection, because you can see the same "line" in the plastic bezel on the top edge, which aligns with the so-called "band". It's just a bad photo.

The screen is definitely more reflective than the BenQ fwiw

MrGrumpie when you get back, please show us some photos of this beauty , if you can please take a photo in total dark room with black background as well.

Thank you in advance

:D

Have fun with your monitors, I won't have fun with mine :(

fzoM6Q4.jpg

Mine came with a broken panel. It seems that all BDM4065UC in the country has sold out, so I have no idea how to obtain another one. F*ck me, I hate my life.

omggg i feel for you . hope you can get refund from this one. the monitor should be available worldwide soon .

Mine came with a broken panel. It seems that all BDM4065UC in the country has sold out, so I have no idea how to obtain another one. F*ck me, I hate my life.

Wow.

Man, I would be roasting the shipping company on a spit right now. Feel for you, friend.

Last edited:
How reliable are they?

I can't read Chinese to save my life, so I had to order through a shipping agent. It's kinda like eBay, you have to choose a reliable seller with plenty of feedback. I've bought from various sellers a bunch of times, so far experience is good.

Lemme know if you need help, I should be able to help with everything else except recommending a Taobao agent that ships to the US - have no experience with that.

Ouch. I feel for you man, that's terrible bad luck.

Hi MrGrumpie,

Many thanks for your thoughts, could you help with a couple of questions?

1. If you have two sources connected, e.g. by DP and HDMI, how easy is it to switch between them i.e. do you need to go through OSD menus or is there a simple physical switch?
2. Does 1080p scale up well and look ok?
3. Have you tried any 4K video? I'm thinking of using Netflix's 4K service

Thanks!

Let me have a go -
1. There is one multidirectional button - it takes a couple of presses to switch but nothing annoying.
2. I don't like it, but YMMV
3. Can't get it on Netflix (am on the cheapo plan) but so far the 4K video I've watched is BEAUTIFUL.

I currently have a 3 monitors setup, one central 28" and two 23" (16/9) in portrait mode at each sides. If I'd buy one, the physical height of the 23" in portrait mode would be equal to the height of this 40" beast !
really, this new 40'' monitor is all what I was waiting for, except a few things :
- it doesn't support hdmi 2.0 !
- it doesn't support DP 1.2a or 1.3
so I think I'll wait until there is at least hdmi 2.0, 40" monitors hitting the market (and also hdmi 2.0 graphics cards) next year before buying anything. I wish freesync and possibly curved screen being part of the specs too. Great time indeed.

Back