Philips BDM4065UC - 40" 4K 60Hz monitor thread

IMO 40" 4k tv/monitor is a weird size. for HT its way too small and for desk top pc its way too big.

It is not too big if it is positioned properly which for height means the bezel must touch the desktop, otherwise the upper edge is too high. For width it would of course be much better if it is curved but still it looks not too wide.

What is noticeable in the photos is uneven backlighting in the corners and edges and greyish whites. Maybe these are artefacts of photos?

What is noticeable in the photos is uneven backlighting in the corners and edges and greyish whites. Maybe these are artefacts of photos?

It can also happen as a result of using calibration hardware / software. Was reading on another forum that someone calibrated his monitors and on one of them white became grayish.

This chinese guy showed some pictures of before and after calibration, but I don't understand them.

Before:
wNnIsEK.png

After color correction:
CzJM6hc.png

It does look to have decent color calibration from factory but I am no expert on that matter.

Last edited:
^Color calibration might fine and at the same time backlight non-uniformity might be bad. I think it is better to wait for reviews of those ultracheap 4K monitors. Input lag, backlight uniformity and pixel matrix may be problematic. It is claimed that Seiki panels have nonstanard subpixel arrangement.

It is not too big if it is positioned properly which for height means the bezel must touch the desktop, otherwise the upper edge is too high. For width it would of course be much better if it is curved but still it looks not too wide.

well that my opinion - if you have to move your head (not just your eyes) to focus on the very edges of the screen you are sitting too close.

well that my opinion - if you have to move your head (not just your eyes) to focus on the very edges of the screen you are sitting too close.

This seems to me to be true for significant movements, I think small quick movements of the head are rather natural. Another aspect of this is multimonitor systems for gaming, immersive system requires large cover of visual field which is observed by by quick head movements from time to time when peripheral vision registers something needing check.
In any case, the 40 incher will be a good testbed for testing what is the maximum size of flat desktop monitor.

The bezels on this monitor is very thin.

Which is good. This monitor has to be positioned in such a way that its bezel touches the desktop. Otherwise its upper part will be too high resulting in neck strain.

Last edited:
The bezels on this monitor is very thin.
I may buy three of these at some point.

And sit 10' away?

Has anyone even calculated the GPU power required to drive three 4K panels at decent frame rates? Is it even possible with Tri-SLI/TriFire at this point or in the near future?

I never thought the day would come so soon that the 3 x 30" setups I've seen here aren't very [H] anymore. :p

And sit 10' away?

Has anyone even calculated the GPU power required to drive three 4K panels at decent frame rates? Is it even possible with Tri-SLI/TriFire at this point or in the near future?

I never thought the day would come so soon that the 3 x 30" setups I've seen here aren't very [H] anymore. :p

I have an IKEA Galant Desk so my monitors sit about 20" away. I can go up to 24" away, with VESA mounts up to 30".
I will use them for productivity for web and video production more than gaming.

But for now I will start with one and consider more over the Summer.
By then something better could hit the market, so I don't want to splurge just yet.

Which is good. This monitor has to be positioned in such a way that its bezel touches the desktop. Otherwise its upper part will be too high resulting in neck strain.

I can lower my desk a bit if I need better positioning.

And sit 10' away?

There is a guy on here running triple monitor 4k Surround with quad-Titan Blacks and getting close to 60 FPS in most games he has shown.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1815021

There is a guy on here running triple monitor 4k Surround with quad-Titan Blacks and getting close to 60 FPS in most games he has shown.

It is interesting to note the guy has 3x24"@4K but arranged in portrait mode. Note that 24" in portrait is about the same height as 40" in landscape. It thus looks that 3x40" would be much better proposition.

Still the stake is up again: 3x27"@5K is possible now:D.

Alright, so has anyone on here actually bought one yet?? Very tempted to bite but other than the fact that my Seiki does not do 4K 60Hz I have no reason to upgrade.

Well there's a good representation of the 0.01% of PC users! That's pretty [H] right there.

Alright, so has anyone on here actually bought one yet?? Very tempted to bite but other than the fact that my Seiki does not do 4K 60Hz I have no reason to upgrade.

60hz 4K is a strong selling point coming from the Seiki, but if I were in your shoes I would definitely wait for some more first-hand impressions in order to determine if this is worth getting or if you should wait for similar competing monitors.

It looks the monitor is released in major markets first, it will come bit later to peripheral markets,

The correct way to use a monitor is to position ones head / eyes in the upper part of the screen or eyes at the top of the monitor / bezel. Not center.

Yes, you can Google this

The correct way to use a monitor is to position ones head / eyes in the upper part of the screen or eyes at the top of the monitor / bezel. Not center.

Exactly. According to my measurement the condition of having eyes in the upper part of the screen is satisifed by a 40 incher with thin bezel if the display is lowered to touch the desktop.

Exactly. According to my measurement the condition of having eyes in the upper part of the screen is satisifed by a 40 incher with thin bezel if the display is lowered to touch the desktop.

The problem is that the stand cant be lowered, so you have to either lower the desk or use a higher chair if possible, or remove the stand and make the monitor touch the desktop directly. You can also mount it on the wall or use some VESA stand that will allow you to lower the monitor.

The problem is that the stand cant be lowered, so you have to either lower the desk or use a higher chair if possible, or remove the stand and make the monitor touch the desktop directly. You can also mount it on the wall or use some VESA stand that will allow you to lower the monitor.

In my case I have professional desk with controlled recess for the monitor so I can precisely position it in height.

If not this, I would definitely use some VESA stand. This is strongly advised to everybody, do not save money for the cost of chronic neck area pain :mad:

Does anyone know when this monitor is going to be available in the US? I need it yesterday!

I was going to buy the one listed on ebay , but now it says the seller is away until Nov 16th? Not sure what that means but I guess I will wait until then and see.

I was going to buy the one listed on ebay , but now it says the seller is away until Nov 16th? Not sure what that means but I guess I will wait until then and see.

Me too

I was going to buy the Korean off ebay, but my concern is the seller is gone, plus with shipping from over seas I wonder if its better waiting for US version from Amazon or Newegg since it will take weeks to get it from Korea anyways ....

Me too

I was going to buy the Korean off ebay, but my concern is the seller is gone, plus with shipping from over seas I wonder if its better waiting for US version from Amazon or Newegg since it will take weeks to get it from Korea anyways ....
I bought my qnix from Korea and it shipped extremely quick but I legitimately believe in the estimated shipping time listed on eBay. It's almost always right. You should be the guinea pig and let us know how it goes ;)

I wouldn't do that if I were you. Not sure about USA but here in Sweden if you buy from a internet store you are allowed to try the product and return if unhappy and you get full refund. If you buy from Korea I am not sure how it works with returns and how much it would cost to ship it back. I will wait 30 days and buy here, buying from Korea can be much hassle.

Update on the seller: After inquiring on how long until it would take to ship if I were to purchase today he responded with..
"Thank you for your inquiry. We may possible to ship on Wednessday. Thank you

- fms7004"
so I dont know.

Update on the seller: After inquiring on how long until it would take to ship if I were to purchase today he responded with..
"Thank you for your inquiry. We may possible to ship on Wednessday. Thank you

- fms7004"
so I dont know.

Not worth it if it will be available in shops normally a month or two later.

I was bored and found some more (Japanese, Chinese) pictures for you:

RjaaXXR.jpg

V1VFPxD.jpg

1TM2WAD.jpg

tap0CTS.jpg

h5jZLNk.jpg

Opuv5HR.jpg

4ISrMMB.jpg

(Pictures are from different sources)

Last edited:

Lol, sitting so close to such a beast size monitor is insane..

I reckon 1 - 1.5 meters would be a perfect distance..

Still, seems a bit too big, while 32" 4k could be too small for me, having been on 32" 1080p for the last 3-4 years...
I would prefer 36" 4k monitor. You guys know if anyone is releasing such monitor?

I have found some information about input lag:

tNG6M28.jpg

jDMECJP.jpg

It is from a Korean forum:
http://bmsm.net/bbs/134314

Somebody knows Korean? (Google translate is bad):

Rack of test inputs. Compared with existing monitors (27 inches bypass QHD) about 0.5 to 1 frame or so I seem to differ.

Experience is a hard guy to figure the amount.

Constant regardless of the resolution. 4K inputs not in the rack.

LEvldTm.jpg

sE67orV.jpg

Looks like he's comparing the size and response time to his other screens. Says there is only 0.5 to 1 frame of input lag difference compared to the 27" QHD screen.
Confirmed that we must change settings to DP1.2 for 60hz @ 4k (we knew this). Something about the 24" PS3 3D lag next, but I can't decipher it.
"Regardless of the input, there's not much difference in lag for the 4k". Games run well @ 4k on his 970 with Anti-aliasing disabled
Split mode and scaler support 4 of 5 inputs at once, each running at 1080p simultaneously.

Some interesting tidbits in the conclusions, too. low-res leads to vertical flickering while 75hz might be possible, but he says something about 4:4:4 having driver issues with certain ports. Need someone else to chime in here!

Last edited:
Some interesting tidbits in the conclusions, too. low-res leads to vertical flickering while 75hz might be possible, but he says something about 4:4:4 having driver issues with certain ports. Need someone else to chime in here!

This is not surprising, as I've recently read that the chip that hand;es HDCP 2.2 does not support 4k@60hz 4:4:4. So, I would expect that would only work on ports not supported by the chip that handles hdcp.

Lol, sitting so close to such a beast size monitor is insane..
I reckon 1 - 1.5 meters would be a perfect distance..Still, seems a bit too big, while 32" 4k could be too small for me, having been on 32" 1080p for the last 3-4 years...
I would prefer 36" 4k monitor. You guys know if anyone is releasing such monitor?

Note that those pics illustrate very bad ergonomy. Monitors are positioned too high which is especially problematic with the 40". Note the pic with the surround picture of monitors, 40" is even higher than others. If the 40" would be lowered to touch the desktop it would be just fine.

Now people will say "but this monitor can not be lowered". True, one has to calculate another stand when buying it or a table with recess for monitor. Otherwise the monitor will feel too big due to its height and there is risk for acquiring chronic neck pain from it.

Regarding the viewing distance I think 1-1.5m would be too far since small details would loose visibility. To fully utilize the 4K resolution the distance should be somewhere in the range of 1.5-2 x PH where PH meanse Picture Height. For 40" this means viewing distance between 0.75-1m. I have 27"@2560x1440 which has exactly the same pixel density as the 40"@4K and it looks fine.

Looks like he's comparing the size and response time to his other screens. Says there is only 0.5 to 1 frame of input lag difference compared to the 27" QHD screen.

Not sure what the lag of "27" QHD screen" is to begin with. I'm guessing total of over 30ms for the 40 inch? :(

Not sure what the lag of "27" QHD screen" is to begin with. I'm guessing total of over 30ms for the 40 inch? :(

If it's one of Korean no scaller displays then 5-6 ms, if it's one of multi input 27" then around 20ms.

Back