Philips BDM4065UC - 40" 4K 60Hz monitor thread

Hrm... this or the LG 34" ultrawide on Massdrop ($850)?

Less than 24H to cancel the MD purchase. The LG also won't ship until late Nov and likely won't arrive to purchasers until Dec 1 (earliest), very close to the 12-12 of the Philips.

What would you guys do?

Gaming on an ultra wide is a very different experience compared to a 16:9 monitor, 4K or not. I prefer it personally. Nothing will make me upgrade from the UM95 until a higher res 21:9 monitor comes along perhaps.

Also factor in the GPU cost. 980 SLI is still not enough to run all games well maxed at 4K.

how far away from it do you have to sit for it to be comfy? I want one too

This is very good question. I would say that comfortable viewing has to be ensured first by vertical positioning of the monitor. It has to be touching the desktop in order of upper edge be not too high, to avoid neck pain. Then the minimum viewing distance has to be adjusted in such a way that areas near the left and right edges are well visible without the need of turning head a lot. On the other hand maximum viewing distance should be such that 4K details are well visible. Both conditions are satisfied in the range of ~1-1.5 x picture height one has to find personal optimum by experimenting. One has to notice that curved display would most likely allow bit closer viewing distance.

Gaming on an ultra wide is a very different experience compared to a 16:9 monitor, 4K or not. I prefer it personally. Nothing will make me upgrade from the UM95 until a higher res 21:9 monitor comes along perhaps.

Also factor in the GPU cost. 980 SLI is still not enough to run all games well maxed at 4K.

Cool, I'll stick w/ the UW. I have the Seiki and love it. I'm not a twitch type gamer so much anymore, but the games I do play (GW2, WoW, single player fps, etc) have been working well.

I figure I can always sell the UW to put in cash for the 4k if it becomes GAS, and I already have 1 980, so who knows :D

This is very good question. I would say that comfortable viewing has to be ensured first by vertical positioning of the monitor. It has to be touching the desktop in order of upper edge be not too high, to avoid neck pain. Then the minimum viewing distance has to be adjusted in such a way that areas near the left and right edges are well visible without the need of turning head a lot. On the other hand maximum viewing distance should be such that 4K details are well visible. Both conditions are satisfied in the range of ~1-1.5 x picture height one has to find personal optimum by experimenting. One has to notice that curved display would most likely allow bit closer viewing distance.

a simple number based on typical viewing distances would of suficed :D

I eagerly await your answer, i suspect 80 - 90cm ?

a simple number based on typical viewing distances would of suficed :D

I eagerly await your answer, i suspect 80 - 90cm ?

I guess 80 will be ok.

It shall not look too big on the desktop:

LCOk0RZ.jpg

(Seiki 39 UHD TV in the middle, a 22 inch UHD to the left,and the one to the right is 30" - 32"?. Picture borrowed from another forum.)

Last edited:
December release date on this then? It looks like it'll beat the Seiki Pro line to the market then. Looks great.

I guess 80 will be ok.

It shall not look too big on the desktop:

LCOk0RZ.jpg

(Seiki 39 UHD TV in the middle, a 22 inch UHD to the left,and the one to the right is 30" - 32"?. Picture borrowed from another forum.)

30" 2560x1600 screen, probably a 3007wfp

Philips doesn't sell TVs or Monitors at all in the U.S. Does anyone know if this is actually being released in the US?

a simple number based on typical viewing distances would of suficed :D I eagerly await your answer, i suspect 80 - 90cm ?

I do not have practical experience except I am staring now at 27"@2560x1440 which happens to have the same pixel density as the 40". My VD (viewing distance) is 50+ cm which is 1.5 x PH (picture height), I have quite big font to avoid any eye strain. 40" might be the same 1.5 x PH or bit less so this 80 cm may fit and when I am looking at my 27" from this distance font is still comfortable.

I guess 80 will be ok.
It shall not look too big on the desktop:....
If this indeed is 39" I see bad problem in its postioning but in vertical direction. The display is too high against the eye level (unless somebody is really tall). This display should be lowered to touch the desk. Comfortable ergonomic position is with head facing bit down, head up is prescription for neck problems.

I wonder if the LG 40UB8000 would be comparable to this monitor.

Sizewise surely. But TVs are not monitors. They typically have considerably higher
input lag, sometimes even seen like slight laziness in mouse movements. Next there is question if the TV supports 4:4:4 display mode, not all do. Finally, running 4K TV as computer monitor requires computer with HDMI 2.0 output. At this time only GT`X 970 and 980 cards have such output. One can expect that all new coming (high-end) cards will have HDMI 2.0.

If this indeed is 39" I see bad problem in its postioning but in vertical direction. The display is too high against the eye level (unless somebody is really tall). This display should be lowered to touch the desk. Comfortable ergonomic position is with head facing bit down, head up is prescription for neck problems.

I haven't actually tried any of these 39" or 40" displays, but comparing to my 34UM95 the only way I can see them working out is if they're lowered enough to almost touch the desk. Otherwise the top of the monitor would just be too high.

Even still, it just might be too big for desktop use without a very deep desk. It's hard to say.

The good news is that the spec sheet alludes to an adjustable height stand, so hopefully it can be lowered down close to the desk.

What I'd really like is something in the 35-36" range.

Even still, it just might be too big for desktop use without a very deep desk. It's hard to say.

My desk is about 4 ft. deep and 14 ft. wide. I use 3x 39 inch panels at the moment and it is very comfortable for day to day use. A bigger desk definitely fixes these issues. (its actually a dining table, but same thing =p)

My desk is pretty big and I guess it will be enough for a 40" inch monitor.

6C8qP4l.jpg

Those who have small desk could mount it on the wall instead :)

My desk is about 4 ft. deep and 14 ft. wide. I use 3x 39 inch panels at the moment and it is very comfortable for day to day use. A bigger desk definitely fixes these issues. (its actually a dining table, but same thing =p)

Wow, that is a big desk (or dining table).

How far away from your eyes are the 39" monitors, though?

Really looking forward to this panel, whether it's from this company or another. I tried the Asus 4K 28" TN monitor and just couldn't tolerate the color shifting (even straight on) and the text required too much enlargement to be tolerable for long sessions.

I've been running 2560x1600 center with two side 1080x1920 panels for 7+ years.

~40" is where it's at for 4K for a heavy text user in my opinion, to keep that DPI reasonable.

Last edited:
I noticed all of those say 120hz on the panel detail pages, good sign for OC'ing?

Here is what it says in the manual:

6V5CpeX.png

F*ck i jut realized it uses MST to reach 60Hz, look at the picture above, it says to enable DisplayPort 1.2 in OSD to have 60Hz, same which I have to do on my current Dell UP2414Q. :(

Here is what it says in the manual:

F*ck i jut realized it uses MST to reache 60Hz, look at the picture above, it says to enable DisplayPort 1.2 in OSD to have 60Hz, same which I have to do on my current Dell UP2414Q. :(

I thought DP 1.1 lacked the bandwidth for 4K/UHD at 60Hz, nothing to do with MST.

I thought DP 1.1 lacked the bandwidth for 4K/UHD at 60Hz, nothing to do with MST.

Well, idk. But on my current monitor when I turn on DP 1.2 it uses 60Hz using MST, and when I change back to DP 1.1 it uses SST at 30Hz so I assumed the above means the same.

Well, idk. But on my current monitor when I turn on DP 1.2 it uses 60Hz using MST, and when I change back to DP 1.1 it uses SST at 30Hz so I assumed the above means the same.

Your monitor doesn't support 60Hz UHD with SST is all. Doesn't necessarily mean this one doesn't. The only certainty is that no monitor supports 60Hz UHD using DP 1.1.

I guess Philips would have written if the monitor could run at higher Hz than 60 on 1080p, it would make the monitor more interesting.

I think I will maybe try to remove the stand and have it touching the desk directly, else it might be too high.
It has the the inputs on the side, so there will be no cables on the bottom and I will put it against the wall so it does not tilt.

69t5jlY.jpg

Last edited:
How in hell is this monitor so cheap(going by over seas pricing) at 1k? Something has to be up, maybe its a TV, maybe 30hz, maybe it sucks.

Every single large 4k monitor is 2k+, how is phillips getting a 40" 4k that cheap:confused:

Seems to me like they've taken a panel aimed for TVs, stripped ALL of the TV shit (tuner, licensed chipsets, 'Smart TV/internet shit, R&D of interface design etc) leaving just the panel and picture processing.

So you're more closely paying for just the panel, rather than a bunch of bloated price-hiking TV related marketing features. And I'd expect the QA dead pixel tolerance is higher.

We're also generally seeing lower prices as 4K panel production increases world-wide, and competition increases (Quality 4K panels is no longer a one horse (LG) race.

From reading his post, looks like he got 60hz running by manually switching the monitor settings to DP1.2

Not sure why it wouldn't be on by default or auto-detect. But for those that buy this, it is the first thing you are going to want to do.

[H]appymeal;1041205408 said:
From reading his post, looks like he got 60hz running by manually switching the monitor settings to DP1.2

Not sure why it wouldn't be on by default or auto-detect. But for those that buy this, it is the first thing you are going to want to do.

It says in the manual that the default is 1.1 and you have to switch yourself to 1.2 for 60Hz.

Is this monitor Glossy or Matte? If It is Glossy I am buying one ASAP

Will this be mushy at lower resolutions like @1080p? I will do some low res gaming on the PC ( for high frame rates) as well as my PS4 which runs at 1080p@60Hz

Really interesting display, I just would like to know if it's really better to buy this Philips instead a 4k TV for PC monitor, expecially for gaming.

Really interesting display, I just would like to know if it's really better to buy this Philips instead a 4k TV for PC monitor, expecially for gaming.

well, perhaps there will be a philips/sharp or equivelent TV with a PC mode. The benefit being that it might have a PC mode. This way you can still utilize HDMi and plug a console in or a blueray player. You could probably Get PIP too so watch / play and external source whilst having the PC on the other portions?

why?
What you are saying is, is it better to buy a motorcyle to ride it as a motorcyle, or for a similar price I should buy a bicycle and use it as a motorcyle.

Back