Philips BDM4065UC - 40" 4K 60Hz monitor thread

My adapter wouldn't fit either, I don't know of any that have a 200mm spacing with 4mm bolt holes still as they are designed for much bigger and heavier screens.

I got 3mm thick metal shims to reduce the hole size on my adapter plate and 5mm longer bolts.

Philips should have included an adapter themselves. To anyone else with a stand, what adapter plate did you get?

I'm going to contact them tomorrow.

I've never purchased anything from overseas outside of Ebay. Can you pay in USD? What's the shipping like?

Thanks.

So let's make competition where one can get it cheapest in EUrope (including VAT) :D.
My entry is 716,83 €. Shipping costs may of course decide where it is best to buy it.

Looks like Amazon is getting ready to start selling it. Prime shipping directly from Amazon is in place now. Have ordered items before from them when they have placeholder ready in their system. Usually means they know they are getting it in stock soon.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Brill.../ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Edit: Hoping the fact that PC Gamer just stuck up a review of it today also combined with showing up as being sold by Amazon US means will be shipping in the US soon.

That link isn't working for me, nor a search...

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Makes 3 orders total now, who knows which will actually ship first.

s2j9ZGq.png

Does anyone in the USA who owns this know if I can just get a normal US plug for mine? It came with a multinational plug adapter in a big ugly white box. The monitor I got came from S Korea and had the 2-prong "C" type plug. Looks like there's no power brick it's just the usual think 3-prong cord that goes into the back of the monitor just like all power supplies and most monitors. Wouldn't want to fry it or anything...Can take pics if needed. Thanks.

can you post a photo of the rear end of the monitor where the electricity is? Is it the std. +ve , - ve, gnd. male plug for USA?

Is the PWM a problem for this monitor? I read that it can give headaches.

If it ain't, I'm gonna order it.

3. The stand has no adjustment capabilities, except maybe tilt? There's no swivel or height adjustment, and lack of height adjustment in particular makes it more difficult to put it in a more ergonomically usable position. As you'll see in this thread, several people are using ergo arms to put the display right down on the desk rather than a few inches above it like the included stand does.

Okay, I have 2 issues here:

As we all know, it doesn't make sense to have a LCD kissing the surface of a desk. It also looks silly for any of us to use a LCD like this.

Now, can anyone explains why a few of you is taking the chance of not having any warranty service and dive right into this LCD, blow $1K?

After a couple of emails from this site I got a quote for the monitor
http://hardware.be/

If you have a shipping account we won’t charge the shipping cost.
Only the monitor.
You can use the price in our webshop.
The price is 592.42 excl. VAT

That is $688 US which is a STEAL! Even if they add VAT it is still a great price. Now I need to find out how to get a shipping account at UPS :)

but how can it be so cheap?

Also, if you want UPS to ship, there is a promo of 70% off if you are a 1st time customer, I was about to ship a giant dining room table, they gave me 70% off, (you just have to make up a fake co. name), but I never use the 70% off. And that's not the regular UPS phone no. you call. It's Call UPS Freight Intl. or something like that

Is the PWM a problem for this monitor? I read that it can give headaches.

If it ain't, I'm gonna order it.

This monitor does have pwm, however if it is a problem or not, is going to depend on you, chances are it's not a problem, since it's not a problem for most people as far as I know, but that's really something that only you can answer.

can you post a photo of the rear end of the monitor where the electricity is? Is it the std. +ve , - ve, gnd. male plug for USA?

It's the standard plug, all monitors use the same plug just like all power supplies use the same plug (among a ton of other electronic 110/220v equipment), btw it's AC so there is no + or - like in DC, they are both + and -.

but how can it be so cheap?

The RRP (MSRP) of this monitor is pretty low, it's around the 700€ with vat, after discounting vat which you have to (well not sure about having to, but it's definitely the standard) when selling to the US, you get a monitor that is less than 700$, everything else is shipping costs, and custom fees and what not.

As we all know, it doesn't make sense to have a LCD kissing the surface of a desk. It also looks silly for any of us to use a LCD like this.

Now, can anyone explains why a few of you is taking the chance of not having any warranty service and dive right into this LCD, blow $1K?

Don't see any reason why it wouldn't make sense to have the LCD kissing the surface, either way with a vesa mount you can put it however you prefer, so it's not a monitor thing, it's how people prefer to place it, in fact the monitor default stand doesn't have the monitor kissing the surface.

Can't speak why people are buying the monitor without warranty (they actually have warranty, it's just trickier), but the reason why I'm interested in this monitor is pretty simple, it's a 40" 4k monitor which means it has pretty much the perfect PPI something which at the 4k only 34 ultra wide can offer (assuming perfect PPI is 110), and they ofc have a non standard aspect ratio, and less pixels (that being said I feel it's quite a nice aspect ratio for computer monitors), unlike the 40" 4k which gets the perfect PPI while using the standard aspect ratio.
It's well priced (in comparison with other 4k), it has good image quality, it does the 4k at 60hz with SST, it has reasonable lag for a monitor of it's type (it's not excellent, but it's VA normal), it's a VA panel, which some people prefer over IPS, all in all it's a well rounded monitor, that in what concerns 4k offers some of the best performance at one of the best prices out there.

Last edited:
The RRP (MSRP) of this monitor is pretty low, it's around the 700€ with vat, after discounting vat which you have to (well not sure about having to, but it's definitely the standard) when selling to the US, you get a monitor that is less than 700$, everything else is shipping costs, and custom fees and what not.

Then who's going to buy those S korean guy at ebay, going for $1000 w/ $200 shipping?

regardless if the bottom edge of the LCD is kissing the table, then it seems too low for the human eye, they should be somewhat higher to accommodate the lower range of your eye.

When you guys get it from Germany or s korea, if the unit fails, there is no warranty.

The price is strange....

- in germany you can buy the phillips now (2015 01 15) for 749-799 euro

- in Switzerland (6 weeks ago) the price was 537 euro (630 $)

- in Switzerland (4weeks ago!) the price was down to 399 euro (470$)!!! this was a special action from 3 big computer sellers. absolutly cracy!! (price including tax and all other things)

I think, the price of this monitor will be very very hard drop till next months. Also due I cant! wait, I ordered the phillips now for 799 euro. and also a monitor stand where I can lower the screen to the desk (ERGOTRON Neo-Flex Wide Screen the stand is normaly only till ~32" but work with the 40" phillips, vesa is 200x200)

After receiving I will take a short Review at a

- Surface 3 Pro Dockingstation (I know that SF3Pro works only at UHD@30hz over DP1.2 but if the monitor can handle "dualinput" MSD? or something, it should work UHD@60hz)

- Workstation with GTX980 (think here I will have no problems to receive full 60hz)

Then who's going to buy those S korean guy at ebay, going for $1000 w/ $200 shipping?

regardless if the bottom edge of the LCD is kissing the table, then it seems too low for the human eye, they should be somewhat higher to accommodate the lower range of your eye.

When you guys get it from Germany or s korea, if the unit fails, there is no warranty.

I think people were mostly buying it from taobao and the likes, where it's a bit cheaper, either way people did that because they really wanted the monitor (I'm assuming), and Europe until a few days ago had a serious lack of stock since the monitor was released first in the Asian market, Asian countries had no such problems.

It's going to depend on the height of the table, your height in relation to it, and how far the monitor is from your eyes, a 40" should ideally be placed further back than say a 24", and all that affects heavily if something works or not.

To clarify I didn't get the monitor, I live in an European country so I'm buying in Europe and I won't have such warranty problems, that being said they will still have access to the warranty, is just that it's trickier to activate it, since unless Philips starts to accept monitors in the USA when they were bought in another country, the people that bought it will need to ship it back to the place they bought it from, so they can activate the warranty on it, which OFC means they will have to pay the P&P to send it to the US, possibly pay the P&P to send it to Philips, and the P&P for the store to send it back to them after the unit gets fixed.
On the bright side if they bought it from Europe they do get 1 extra year of warranty, since the warranty for this Product in Europe is 2 years.

You are wrong.. The top of the visible monitor area should be at eye level.

SitProfile4.jpg

That's why people are lowering this monitor.. My Philips will certainly be kissing the desk, and it will STILL be a bit too high.

Just a heads-up on hardware.be/hardware.nl: I placed an order for this monitor with them last week. Shortly after I placed my order, I got an email stating that shipping was actually going to be €115 extra to Ireland (on top of the €25 I had paid). I decided this was too much and immediately cancelled. I tried to cancel over the phone and was told (quite abruptly) that the only way to cancel was via email. I emailed and got no reply. I emailed again 3 days later to two different email addresses (shop@, orderstatus@) and got no reply. I tried their online chat three times, and every time the operator (hardware.nl) simply stopped replying mid-conversation. 5 days after emailing to cancel I got an email saying my cancellation was being processed but they would have to check with the warehouse to see if cancellation was still possible.

At this point, I decided to try the online chat at hardware.be (instead of .nl). I got a different operator (Sandra), and she processed the cancellation and refund within about one minute.

I was relieved to get my refund, but more relieved that I would never have to deal with this company again. If anything goes wrong with an order, requires an RMA etc, I would anticipate extreme difficulty dealing with this company.

tl;dr - the customer service here is extremely inconsistent and at the bad end of the spectrum is non-existent and rude.

thinking about using this cheap $33 Monitor arm like this-
http://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Ti...F8&qid=1420066558&sr=1-2&keywords=monitor+arm

hopefully that arm is strong enough(it says up to 33lbs so should be ok) just don't know if any of those arms have the height clearance, since there aren't really any 40" inch monitors out there to test.

I won't. For some solid, good quality robot arm, I would rather go w/:

http://www.humanscale.com/products/product_detail.cfm?group=m8

You could try caseking.de they have the monitor in stock, and they are a good company (they are partners with overclockers.co.uk), that being said the monitor is definitely more expensive there, since it's 799 (with VAT), + 44,90€ for the P&P (according to their P&P table).

I ended up just going with Amazon.co.uk - £605 inc. shipping. It's a bit more expensive but I know I won't have any issues with returns/shipping costs on returns etc. Estimated delivery Feb 9 - Mar 4).

No, we don't all know that it doesn't make sense to have an LCD kissing the surface of a desk. On a more conventionally sized LCD sure, but in this case as others have pointed out, ergonomically with a display this size that's arguably the best setup. I'm not sure I'm going to do that myself because I have a few things on my desk that would fall underneath this LCD's width (USB hub, speakers, external hard drive), and those things might be too far away for me if I had to put them off to one side of such a large display. But since I have an ergo arm, I'll just experiment and see whether I'd prefer ideal ergonomics and device placement inconvenience or a somewhat usable space under the display in exchange for less ideal ergonomics. Or since I just got an adjustable height desk and adjustable height keyboard tray, I may be able to get the best of both worlds anyway.

As for the warranty, as others have said, you have a warranty, it would just be more expensive to send it back for service. It's also possible that once this display goes on sale in the US, people in the US who imported them may be able to get it serviced through Philips US. But otherwise it's just a case of people being willing to roll the dice in exchange for getting the display earlier than they'd otherwise be able to, and apparently even at a better price given that Amazon will be charging $1K. Not everyone purchases the same level of insurance coverage on their cars, home, etc, so people just have different risk tolerances -- and of course $1K doesn't mean the same thing to everybody.

Last edited:
Ordering it through Amazon with a decent credit card makes it 100% safe for me. First Amazon will let me return it , zero questions asked , zero fee if I find one thing wrong with it I don't like. They'll also cross ship me the item multiple times if I want to go through 5 of them to find zero pixels or whatever, again with zero cost.

Also ordering it through US Amazon directly , I feel certain Phillips will have no issue with warranty service provided an invoice sold directly from Amazon. (not a reseller using Amazon).

Worst case , something happens to it a year from now , with an Amazon invoice I know I'd have no issues getting coverage on repairs/replacement from my CC company. (they've been excellent in the past on such issues and covered all my costs once I provided them with what I paid for repairs).

For me , well worth paying 100 or so more to get straight from Amazon.

Ordering it through Amazon with a decent credit card makes it 100% safe for me. First Amazon will let me return it , zero questions asked , zero fee if I find one thing wrong with it I don't like. They'll also cross ship me the item multiple times if I want to go through 5 of them to find zero pixels or whatever, again with zero cost.

Also ordering it through US Amazon directly , I feel certain Phillips will have no issue with warranty service provided an invoice sold directly from Amazon. (not a reseller using Amazon).

Worst case , something happens to it a year from now , with an Amazon invoice I know I'd have no issues getting coverage on repairs/replacement from my CC company. (they've been excellent in the past on such issues and covered all my costs once I provided them with what I paid for repairs).

Well I ended up cancelling my Overclockers order and placing one with Amazon last night. But now Amazon no longer shows this display when searching by model name, and when I click the link from my Your Orders page, I get a 404. The order hasn't been cancelled yet though. Strange.

Well I ended up cancelling my Overclockers order and placing one with Amazon last night. But now Amazon no longer shows this display when searching by model name, and when I click the link from my Your Orders page, I get a 404. The order hasn't been cancelled yet though. Strange.

Can't guarantee anything , but I've had similar once when I preordered a high end laptop from them.

Brand new items I've seen come and go from there site like that. The BenQ 3201 the past few weeks I could search for and find and other times would not show up also just as an example.

Have a feeling for this one its a combination of being brand new in their system and not having an exact date from Phillips of when they are getting their first direct shipment.

My order still shows fine with the feb 19th eta and fluctuates between that and we need a few days to give you an era.

I feel confident they will be getting them sometime in next few weeks and it'll likely pop in and out in their site till they have them actually in stock.

It could also be a part number change for a U.S. version so will have to keep an eye out for that as they may make us reorder from new page if that's the case.

Has this been released in the USA yet? Any big defects/problems/cons? I see it can do 66Hz and 75Hz. Can it be overclocked beyond that? 96Hz would be optimal for movies!

You are wrong.. The top of the visible monitor area should be at eye level.
SitProfile4.jpg

That's why people are lowering this monitor.. My Philips will certainly be kissing the desk, and it will STILL be a bit too high.

The top of monitor at eye level is kinda impeccable ergonomy. One can relax it a bit to eye level e.g. at 3/4 of the visible height. General principle is to look bit down and thus avoiding tension in the neck/back muscle. Silly those who do not take attention to ergonomy risking chronic pains.

BTW, it should be clear now that from ergonomic point of view the 40" is about the biggest desktop 16:9 monitor one can have (maybe 42" could be the ultimate limit).

I absolutely agree with this 100%. Amazon would definitely be the best place to get this from. Also, you shed any worries about warranty hassles. On the product page at Overclockers UK they list this unit has having a 2-year on site warranty. If that same warranty applies to the U.S. version, it would be a no-brainer to buy it from within this country and have the on-site service vs. risking having to ship it back overseas and incur additional shipping costs.

Also, you raise an excellent point regarding the extra warranty protection afforded by using a credit card. I'll be using my Discover card so that I can get additional warranty protection as well as their 90-day best price guarantee so if it drops in price at Amazon or anywhere else in the U.S. within 3 months, I'll get a check for the difference.

It appears that patience will pay off on this one. Fingers crosssed that it comes back soon!

Can keeping the brightness at 100%, then using f.lux, allow one to avoid PWM problems? How bright is it at 100% brightness?

Does anyone actually see the 4065UC as "in stock" on the US amazon? I cant even find a product page for it :/

The price is strange....

- in germany you can buy the phillips now (2015 01 15) for 749-799 euro

- in Switzerland (6 weeks ago) the price was 537 euro (630 $)

- in Switzerland (4weeks ago!) the price was down to 399 euro (470$)!!! this was a special action from 3 big computer sellers. absolutly cracy!! (price including tax and all other things)

I think, the price of this monitor will be very very hard drop till next months. Also due I cant! wait, I ordered the phillips now for 799 euro. and also a monitor stand where I can lower the screen to the desk (ERGOTRON Neo-Flex Wide Screen the stand is normaly only till ~32" but work with the 40" phillips, vesa is 200x200)

- Surface 3 Pro Dockingstation (I know that SF3Pro works only at UHD@30hz over DP1.2 but if the monitor can handle "dualinput" MSD? or something, it should work UHD@60hz)

- Workstation with GTX980 (think here I will have no problems to receive full 60hz)

ordered mine at caseking.de, with luck receiving it tomorrow :D

799 ist 100 euro over Phillips announced price, but its worth for me.

wished to live in swizerland, had buyed then 2 for 399,--euro each lol

Can keeping the brightness at 100%, then using f.lux, allow one to avoid PWM problems? How bright is it at 100% brightness?

If you don't mind brighter settings (the TFT settings for me are always too dull), then you can run it at 100% brightness with contrast turned down. It avoids PWM, but not sure if the underlying brightness affects the eyes.

Where are you seeing that the Surface Pro 3 can only do 4K @ 30 Hz? From what I can see that's only true on MST displays when they're not being used in MST mode. The SP3 can do 4K @ 60 Hz when it's being used with an MST display in MST mode (though there were a lot of driver issues with this for a while), so there's no reason it wouldn't be able to push that same resolution in SST mode as well with a display that can handle it, like this one.

I think the issue is that 4K 60Hz SST displays are so new that there's relatively little testing data about them. But since you'll be trying it yourself, definitely report back!

Does anyone actually see the 4065UC as "in stock" on the US amazon? I cant even find a product page for it :/

Mentioned that a few posts back. Product page is gone. Orders already placed have NOT been cancelled, but Amazon also still has no ETA (or even an ETA on when they'll have an ETA). The product page should come back soon.

Where are you seeing that the Surface Pro 3 can only do 4K @ 30 Hz? From what I can see that's only true on MST displays when they're not being used in MST mode. The SP3 can do 4K @ 60 Hz when it's being used with an MST display in MST mode (though there were a lot of driver issues with this for a while), so there's no reason it wouldn't be able to push that same resolution in SST mode as well with a display that can handle it, like this one.

I think the issue is that 4K 60Hz SST displays are so new that there's relatively little testing data about them. But since you'll be trying it yourself, definitely report back!

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...t-4k-uhd/dd34e63d-dbf8-4d0e-adff-a1a9bbfcb92b

looks like with the newest intel drivers it works now at SF3Pro UHD@60hz :)

Last edited:
I went back and saw that quite a few of us bought the Brateck vesa adapter, so I'll warn anyone else buying it that it is not 100% compatible with the monitor or a standard monitor arm (the LX and Silverstone being the popular options so far). The 5mm bolts included in the vesa adapter are too large for the monitor arm, and the holes for the bolts to attach the adapter to the monitor are made for 6-8mm bolts, not the 4mm required on the Philips monitor. In order to get these to fit you will need a set of 4mm nuts and bolts to connect the arm to the adapter kit (or just use a drill to enlarge the holes slightly), and longer 4mm bolts and some larger diameter spacers to attach the adapter to the monitor.

You'd expect a standardised system to just fit properly!

Most surface pro 3s have a haswell ULV with HD4400 which CANNOT display 4k@60hz over SST. This is due to their low pixelclock.

Back