Philips BDM4065UC - 40" 4K 60Hz monitor thread

Thanks. Well, I went out and bought a 48" inch 4K TV to use as monitor but had to return it because the color loss was terrible and it was much bigger and heavier then the Philips. I thought that 8" inch more wouldn't be that much bigger but it does feel so. The Philips screen is really not so big on the desk as I thought and it really feels light and is easy to carry. It's even ok to use with the stand, it wasn't too high for me so I will probably use the stand on the new monitor.

The upper edge of Philips does not feel too high? First guess is you belong to those higher ones ;) This would mean there is a couple of inches reserve in size for you. My feeling is though the 40" is about the maximum and 48" is definitely too high. For you 42" could be still acceptable.

So one of my comments above relates to the height of this on its stand. Today I took delivery of an Ergotron Neoflex Widescreen stand and a 200mm vesa adaptor.

The stand works perfectly with the monitor, and with it almost flush to the desk the top of the monitor is within a couple of inches to eye level. It's much more comfortable to use and it looks fantastic. In a word, if you get one of these ditch the horrible Philips stand!

A few pics:

I've found one annoyance so far. The plastic bezel protector is routed behind the panel at the bottom of the monitor, which is a dumb manufacturing oversight as on mine at least, you can't pull it off that section:

A couple more of the stand attached to the monitor:

hi MrGrumpie ,the monitor is looking great there. where did you get the 200mm vesa adaptor ? can you provide me the link ? thank you

The stand is this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003VOTIIC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

The vesa adaptor is this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00620L20O?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01

It's worth noting that you don't actually need the vesa adaptor, as the stand comes with brackets to allow 200x200 vesa fixing. The reason I used the separate plate is that the ones in the box are silver bars, and I didn't want to see them :) (you can see the back of the monitor from outside).

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have pre-order the monitor. i will get the same stand too .

Thanks for the links. btw stand look great and look sturdy . ( do i need extra scews to fit 200x200 vesa adaptor ? or does it come with it ?)

The stand is this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003VOTIIC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

The vesa adaptor is this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00620L20O?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01

It's worth noting that you don't actually need the vesa adaptor, as the stand comes with brackets to allow 200x200 vesa fixing. The reason I used the separate plate is that the ones in the box are silver bars, and I didn't want to see them :) (you can see the back of the monitor from outside).

Insta-purchase for me. The inclination of the head required is very slight, but I can see it may get annoying over a long period of use. Thanks for the recommendation.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi,

After about 2 hours reading the whole topic, I would like to thank you all for all the feedback etc, Still one main important question seems to stay unclear though , the input lag. ( and that is for some people the most important ) I know the screen probably don't have a perfect input lag, but if you think it is equivalent from the average LCD monitor, then we could say we are good.

Could someone with the Philips Monitor run that test : http://tft.vanity.dk/inputlag.html ?
As the previous test from the Korean guy was not accurate about the model of the second screen.

To do so, you need a second screen plugged and set as *Duplicate this display* so you can see the same thing on both screens.

Once you have the timer running, you just need to take one picture with an external camera, or even your Smart phone , with focus on the screen.
Could you please then share the picture and let us know about the Model info for your second screen ? thanks

Cheers.

Hi,

After about 2 hours reading the whole topic, I would like to thank you all for all the feedback etc, Still one main important question seems to stay unclear though , the input lag. ( and that is for some people the most important ) I know the screen probably don't have a perfect input lag, but if you think it is equivalent from the average LCD monitor, then we could say we are good.

Could someone with the Philips Monitor run that test : http://tft.vanity.dk/inputlag.html ?
As the previous test from the Korean guy was not accurate about the model of the second screen.

To do so, you need a second screen plugged and set as *Duplicate this display* so you can see the same thing on both screens.

Once you have the timer running, you just need to take one picture with an external camera, or even your Smart phone , with focus on the screen.
Could you please then share the picture and let us know about the Model info for your second screen ? thanks

Cheers.

Will this work with a rMBP driving the monitor? I don't have an easily accessible second screen to use but I can run the test on my rMBP, so the rMBP will be the primary display and the monitor will be hooked up to the rMBP running as an external display.

This should work as long as you can select duplicate in the Macbook pro option. Obviously the Philips will adapt with the MBP resolution and so it means no 4k this way but worth the try.
Also I am not sure if the input lag of a screen changes when set different resolutions.

THe great option would be to run 2 timers each on one screen, using one start click so both are at equal timmings.

Anyway, the test with the mac book pro could be great in the mean time :) thanks

Okay, I'm sure some of you have thought about this... What side monitors would you pair with the Philips?

I really do enjoy running triple monitors, and have a 20/30/20 PLP setup with Dell 2007/3007/2007 monitors. I like to game or watch media on the main monitor and keep work on the right monitor and web browsing on the left.

Given that, my initial thought would be a pair of ROG Swift monitors in portrait. The resolution won't match, but the pixel pitch should (iirc) and the thin bezel would surely help.

Just curious what others would use... (Gotta distract myself from checking yet again for anyone in the States selling this monitor - surely twice a day is good enough!)

Okay, I'm sure some of you have thought about this... What side monitors would you pair with the Philips?

I really do enjoy running triple monitors, and have a 20/30/20 PLP setup with Dell 2007/3007/2007 monitors. I like to game or watch media on the main monitor and keep work on the right monitor and web browsing on the left.

Given that, my initial thought would be a pair of ROG Swift monitors in portrait. The resolution won't match, but the pixel pitch should (iirc) and the thin bezel would surely help.

Just curious what others would use... (Gotta distract myself from checking yet again for anyone in the States selling this monitor - surely twice a day is good enough!)

But why would you put two Swifts(a monitor made for gaming) off to the side in portrait for work and web browsing?:confused: Why not just two 1440p IPS monitors instead? Portrait mode viewing angles would surely be better off that way too

So one of my comments above relates to the height of this on its stand. Today I took delivery of an Ergotron Neoflex Widescreen stand and a 200mm vesa adaptor. The stand works perfectly with the monitor, and with it almost flush to the desk the top of the monitor is within a couple of inches to eye level. It's much more comfortable to use and it looks fantastic. In a word, if you get one of these ditch the horrible Philips stand! A few pics:...

The position of the monitor your are showing is adjusted optimal for your eye height level? Or is it the lowest possible with the stand? From my theoretical measurements it seemed the monitor has to be almost touching the desk to ge the right eye level and you still have lit ike 2in/5cm from the desk?

How is the view to the edges of the display comparing to the center, any distortions?

This is starting to look like the all around best bang for your buck you can buy in a monitor in the next few months. I was hoping it would drop here in the US before 2015 but its looking less than likely, anyone talked to Phillips or Amazon recently?

Eagerly anticipating (as i'm sure at least a dozen others are as well) that elusive US link :]

This should work as long as you can select duplicate in the Macbook pro option. Obviously the Philips will adapt with the MBP resolution and so it means no 4k this way but worth the try.
Also I am not sure if the input lag of a screen changes when set different resolutions.

THe great option would be to run 2 timers each on one screen, using one start click so both are at equal timmings.

Anyway, the test with the mac book pro could be great in the mean time :) thanks

Alright, I should be able to test this out tonight. Stay tuned.

Hi guys, I'm Italian, and here I can not find the monitor anywhere.
on amazon.co.uk on preorder at time of payment tells me that as availability is around mid-January - mid-February.
But it had to come out this month in the world?
You may not find anywhere else already available?

The position of the monitor your are showing is adjusted optimal for your eye height level? Or is it the lowest possible with the stand? From my theoretical measurements it seemed the monitor has to be almost touching the desk to ge the right eye level and you still have lit ike 2in/5cm from the desk?

It's 1" off the desk. I've got it as low as it will go. My eyes are still slightly lower than the top of the screen, but I could change that easily by adjusting my chair.

How is the view to the edges of the display comparing to the center, any distortions?

No distortion, but the panel does suffer from the VA cone effect. I don't really notice it though.

The biggest thing I've noticed is trails on fast moving text. Particularly bold, large text, leaves grey trails when you scroll quickly.

Hmm - I'm actually wondering if I made a mistake getting the Dell Ultrawide instead of this.

I have a question related to that resolution.

@MrGrumpie

Is it possible to run a game in windowed mode @ 3440x1440?
One of the reasons why I didn't buy a 21:9 monitor because I can maybe use 21:9 in windowed mode on a 40".

More pixels and larger screen, this monitor offers more at the same price point.

Thank you so much, I look forward to see that :)

Cheers

This is the raw data, I have no idea how to interpret it. Remember, the monitor is being driven by a rMBP using DP.

IMG_1402.JPG

IMG_1403.JPG

IMG_1404.JPG

IMG_1405.JPG

IMG_1406.JPG

But why would you put two Swifts(a monitor made for gaming) off to the side in portrait for work and web browsing?:confused: Why not just two 1440p IPS monitors instead? Portrait mode viewing angles would surely be better off that way too

That's why I'm asking what others would do! I have 3 separate desk areas in my office (U shaped setup), so I would also be open to alternate setups. I liked the ROG Swift because of the thin bezel, ability to work in multiple locations if I didnt like the PLP setup.

I've only done PLP with the same height in pixels I.e. 1600 high across the 20/30/20. I also am not sure about the pixel pitch and how that would affect a PLP setup.

I don't think a standard triple monitor landscape setup would work due to the width of the Philips.

I would think there are 5 key elements to a good PLP setup:

1. Physical height of monitors in portrait mode to the Philips in landscape
2. Height in pixels between side portrait monitors to center
3. Pixel pitch
4. Bezel size - the thinner ther better (where the monitors would be next to each other)
5. Viewing angle (but keep in mind that the side monitors would be curved in at approx a 30 degree angle)

Am I missi anything in regards to what would make a good PLP setup?

Thanks

This is the raw data, I have no idea how to interpret it. Remember, the monitor is being driven by a rMBP using DP.

IMG_1402.JPG

IMG_1403.JPG

IMG_1404.JPG

IMG_1405.JPG

IMG_1406.JPG

Thank you for this,

I have to say thats very strange, as the timer here shows on average a delay of 100 Ms. wich is too big to be true. Also something is probably not working using A MBP as the driver. as all the pictures you send me reveal a different input lag.

To know the difference you just have to check if the timer is different from one screen to another ( as long as you launch it at the same time in duplicate mode )

for exemple for the fisrt picture we have :

-30:05:546ms for the Mac book

-30:05:464ms for the Philips

546 - 464 = 82 ms, that means the Philips has at least 82 ms of input lag , and probably more as the Mac book pro is not very good at input lag.

That said, I cannot really believe this value, as on your other pictures I end up with different values, and thats not possible that the value changes with the time...

I have to say thats strange, Maybe reset the test and take the picture after you start at Zero. ( in your test , you took the pictures after 30 minutes )

I am not good enough in input lag and I might say bull shit so please if someone knows more about the subject, tell me what you think .

Thank you Elleana!!

One last thing :

Did you make sure that the Philips is set on 60 Hz on DP 1.2 ?
That could explain the wrong values.

Thanks

possibly the Phillips run at 30hz via DP from Mac book thats why number results are high. but i am not a teach guy that just my guess

Thank you for the test

the thing about philips display products is for many years they have always had high input lag. Their TV's look good due to all their processing but you can quiet switch it all off.

This is the raw data, I have no idea how to interpret it. Remember, the monitor is being driven by a rMBP using DP.<snip>

Can you confirm what resolution and refresh rate the display was being ran at in this test?

Thank you for this,

I have to say thats very strange, as the timer here shows on average a delay of 100 Ms. wich is too big to be true. Also something is probably not working using A MBP as the driver. as all the pictures you send me reveal a different input lag.

To know the difference you just have to check if the timer is different from one screen to another ( as long as you launch it at the same time in duplicate mode )

546 - 464 = 82 ms, that means the Philips has at least 82 ms of input lag , and probably more as the Mac book pro is not very good at input lag.

That said, I cannot really believe this value, as on your other pictures I end up with different values, and thats not possible that the value changes with the time...

I have to say thats strange, Maybe reset the test and take the picture after you start at Zero. ( in your test , you took the pictures after 30 minutes )

I am not good enough in input lag and I might say bull shit so please if someone knows more about the subject, tell me what you think .

Thank you Elleana!!

This would put it in line with the other first gen 4K IPS monitors for absolute input lag, like the UP2414Q and the 31.5" IGZO panels. The 4K TN panels (28") like the Samsung U28D590D have a total response time of 33ms, which is still up there.

Is the panel in this Philips the same as the panel in the current 40" 4K TVs?

I dont really like the fact that Philips sells the : 8ms display ( 3ms with over drive ) when this value has nothing to do with the responsivness...

Marketing marketing....

Last edited:
Thanks for the stand pictures, MrGrumpie!

Is the arm at the bottom of it's travel range? If not, how much can it be raised? There's 5" of travel according to the ergotron web site, I'm just wondering if we get the full 5 inches. It would be nice to have a bit more travel than the 3.5" I currently get from my 3007WFP.

I noticed a 1-star review on Amazon that seems relevant to me, since I do plan on raising and lowering the monitor daily.

The similar 3M stand (MA110MB) is cheaper, but only supports up to 16 pounds. The BDM4065UC monitor is 18.7 pounds.

The "arm style" mounts (3M MA240MB and Ergotron LX) would allow us to get our monitors right down to the desk, and don't have any (real) negative reviews. This style of mount doesn't seem as sturdy, though, and the 18.7 pounds of the BDM4065UC is pretty close to the 20 pound design limit of the arms. Opinions, anyone?

possibly the Phillips run at 30hz via DP from Mac book thats why number results are high. but i am not a teach guy that just my guess

Thank you for the test

elleana's rMBP does not support 60Hz, it only has Thunderbolt 1, not Thunderbold 2

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1041270017&highlight=2012#post1041270017

Yep. 30Hz over DP only. Forgot to mention that.

Am open to any other suggestions on how to test this.

The reason I had asked for resolution as well is because if this was mirror mode the display wasn't set to 4K, since the rMBP can't display 4k. I'm guessing 1080p or 1440p @ 60Hz?

Thank you for this,

Thank you Elleana!!

The worst monitors don't have 82ms of lag.
I wouldn't take this as fact.

The worst monitors don't have 82ms of lag.
I wouldn't take this as fact.

On the other hand, it's probably safe to assume Philips did take TV panel and converted it into monitor.. Plus, the thing is mighty cheap (800&#8364; and should fall to ~600&#8364; after 3-6 months), given the size, so there has to be a catch.. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch these days.

Just being skeptical. :)

Hi everybody, I have been following this thread for some time and just registered to make a post and ask a question.

Elleana, I have a feeling that if you plug the smaller monitor in with a vga connection you wont get a lag am I right? In this instance you can get the exact lag to compare against the phillips.

I use a dvi to vga adaptor for my TV because the lag in the HDMI input is so bad.

On the other hand, it's probably safe to assume Philips did take TV panel and converted it into monitor..

Plausible. But the conversion to a monitor without all of the input connections a TV would have, reduces the lag dramatically.

I dont really like the fact that Philips sells the : 8ms display ( 3ms with over drive ) when this value has nothing to do with the responsivness...

Marketing marketing....
Those figures have nothing to do with total input lag, though. Philips is talking about the response time of the panel only. Input lag is response time in addition to processing time by the internal scaler and such. So Philips is probably correct, but they take the best case grey-to-grey scenario. For the 3ms figure, they surely ignore overshoot too.

What I would like to know about this panel, how's the response time - not to be confused with input lag - of the panel? Is there severe motion blur? Is it possible to play FPS games without much trouble, or is the ghosting too severe?

I'm an idiot. I just realised my work laptop has minidp out. Give me 24 hours and I'll redo the test.

I'm an idiot. I just realised my work laptop has minidp out. Give me 24 hours and I'll redo the test.

There's honestly no point in doing the test as stopwatch based methods of testing input lag are horribly inaccurate unless compared against a delay-free CRT, but still largely inaccurate vs SMTT2 and oscilloscope measurements.

--------------------------------

Wait for reliable review sites with more accurate ways of testing input lag before you make a decision.

Back