Philips BDM4037UW - 40" Flicker-Free, Curved 4k

That doesn't mean it can do 4K @ 80 Hz, just possibly lower resolutions.

That's so sloppy that they just say: 23–80 Hz (V) - HDMI/DisplayPort

It's nice of them to actually state if the backlight is PWM, but it's disappointing they still don't publish lag.

I like that they went with a brushed metal look for the bezel. Some well known posters around these parts have often complained of how the shiny black bezels used on most monitors and TVs degrade the perceived contrast ratio.

Unfortunately it has a VA panel.. For a screen this size and this close to the eyes, VA simply sucks for me, with all the color shift and washed up colors.. And the curve does not help. I had a curved Sumsung and had to return it immediately.. IMHO VA and its higher contrast is good for TV's, since you sit far away and do not watch from the angle. VA is also cool for a monitor of smaller size (like 27"), but talking 40", never again!

The curve should definitely be better than flat though in that regard.

Unfortunately it has a VA panel.. For a screen this size and this close to the eyes, VA simply sucks for me, with all the color shift and washed up colors.. And the curve does not help. I had a curved Sumsung and had to return it immediately.. IMHO VA and its higher contrast is good for TV's, since you sit far away and do not watch from the angle. VA is also cool for a monitor of smaller size (like 27"), but talking 40", never again!

I love my 4065UC and it's a VA panel. I don't see any colorshift unless I look at an extreme angle that would never make a difference in use. I just hooked up the HP Omen 32 a few hours ago and put it right back in the box due to the color shift in normal use.

I love my 4065UC and it's a VA panel. I don't see any colorshift unless I look at an extreme angle that would never make a difference in use. I just hooked up the HP Omen 32 a few hours ago and put it right back in the box due to the color shift in normal use.

This was reported on the TFT central review of that panel: it is a new kind of VA with less horizontal gamma shift, but i was trounced [H]ere when i pointed that out. PWM flicker was a deal breaker at the time anyway.

It's been about 3 months now… I'm quite disappointed that this hasn't gone on sale yet. I want one.

It's been an entire month, and it seems this is only available in the UK. Still waiting.

Philips updated the USA website with this monitor about a week ago so that's a good sign. Before it was only on their Europe websites like .uk for the past few months. Definitely a day 1 buy for me coming from the Philips BDM4065. Same thing as I'm using now but curved, flicker free, and whatever little changes & improvements they made.

EDIT: These are the changes I see when comparing the specs on the Philips website. There's actually some subtle downgrades which is very lame:

+ 40" instead of 39.56"
+ Curved screen
+ No PWM
+ HDMI 2.0?
+ Uses slightly less watts
+ Tilt -5/10 degrees
+ 70,000 hour average fail rate instead of 30,000 hours

~ 100mm vesa instead of 200mm (could be pro or con depending on your equipment)

- 4 ms (g2g) instead of 3 ms (g2g)
- 4000:1 contrast instead of 5000:1
- 20,000,000:1 smart contrast instead of 50,000,000:1
- 5 W x 2 built in speakers instead of 7 W x 2 (never used but whatever)

Looks like we took a slight hit on latency, contrast, and speaker watts for a .5" larger screen, curved, I think HDMI 2.0, less power watts, tilt function, longer usage before failure, and no PWN. The current BDM4065 has some major problems too such as the contrasting color artifacting issues so hopefully that's been resolved.

This will probably be my last 4k monitor purchase until the 120hz+ 4k monitors come out. Not really impressed with the puny 27" Asus & Acer ones that were just announced. I'll bite when they're 32"+

Last edited:
I think I'd prefer a 40" TV over this. It's lack of adaptive sync and 120Hz at 1080p are quite disappointing. Not enough of a reason to get this over a TV.

Dang that sucks considering the old model had pretty good response times for a VA panel. I would expect it to be just as good or better in that regard.

Dang that sucks considering the old model had pretty good response times for a VA panel. I would expect it to be just as good or better in that regard.
Indeed. I really like that $800 price (though they could have gone a bit lower), and might have considered it over a TV. But if the response times aren't really much better, then there still isn't much of a reason to go with it. And as AngryLobster said above, the X800D (while not being half the price) is STILL $200 cheaper. It's a tough sell for Phillips for sure.

PCmonitors released a review a couple of days ago: https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/philips-bdm4037uw/
The responsiveness seems really bad.

I ordered one last week, but it has not been shipped yet. Not sure if I should cancel my order. It is for work use, mainly for coding and viewing drawings/pdf reports. Today I use 5 displays (3 1920x1200 and 2 1080). Source is dell xps 15 9550 with TB16 so I don't think I can use any of the popular 4k tv.s (lacking Hdmi 2.0).

What kind of ports does your laptop have?

It has hdmi, usb-c (thunderbolt), but the HDMI is 1.4a. The usb-c will be used for the dell TB16 thunderbolt dock that has VGA mDP HDMI DP Thunderbolt. Not sure if the hdmi on the dock can handle 4k 60Hz

It has hdmi, usb-c (thunderbolt), but the HDMI is 1.4a. The usb-c will be used for the dell TB16 thunderbolt dock that has VGA mDP HDMI DP Thunderbolt. Not sure if the hdmi on the dock can handle 4k 60Hz
It should be able to handle 4K at 60Hz. Thunderbolt 3 has as a gargantuan bandwidth. People get scared that they'll over exert the port, but that doesn't happen. You can handle multiple 4K monitors PLUS power flow PLUS usb hubs on the monitors with a single C typlw thunderbolt port. As long as that dock isn't crap, I think you're good to go for a TV.

It should be able to handle 4K at 60Hz. Thunderbolt 3 has as a gargantuan bandwidth. People get scared that they'll over exert the port, but that doesn't happen. You can handle multiple 4K monitors PLUS power flow PLUS usb hubs on the monitors with a single C typlw thunderbolt port. As long as that dock isn't crap, I think you're good to go for a TV.

Just checked the TB16 dock manual, and the hdmi can only do 3840x2160@30/24Hz. The DP can do either 1x 5120x2880@60Hz or 2x 3840x2160@60Hz

Just checked the TB16 dock manual, and the hdmi can only do 3840x2160@30/24Hz. The DP can do either 1x 5120x2880@60Hz or 2x 3840x2160@60Hz
Dock limitation, unfortunately. I'm sure there are docks that have HDMI 2 ports. Yours just isn't one of them. :(

Ordered one anyway, as I'm basically not gaming but will use it for general PC purposes and non-professional pictures editing.

Does anyone know if it's confirmed that it doesn't support HDCP on any input? (really strange in 2017 for a 4K display, but it really seems the case from the specs..)

Does SmartControl works with this panel to anyone that has bought it? Tried to install the II 1.4 version and with my AMD 260X all regulations controls when I launch the software are just greyed out..

Ok, with Smart Control Premium seems to work, although not all OSD controls are available (Gamma is notably missing, and is quite a nuisance since it resets to 2.2 every time the monitor is switched off).

Last edited:
Guess won't interest many in this forum, but here is my user report after three days of utilisation:

- Size: of course this thing is quite massive, especially coming from a 20", but the slight curve helps in not being too overwhelmed. Probably the provided stand is a tad too high and the optimal height can be found only by wall mounting it for maximum viewing comfort.
- BLB: unfortunately I hoped better in this regard, BLB is definitely evident in three corners of the screen, and there is some clouding near the center left. Nothing that is really bothersome in normal viewing conditions, but nonetheless I guess would be enough for a lot of people here to return it and hope for a better panel.
- Screen uniformity: seems pretty good to me for such a huge display, with no obvious color shifts whatsoever
- Color reproduction: spot on for me, and nothing that makes me miss my old (but quite good) IPS. After calibration with DisplayCAL I got an average Delta2000 of 0.24 (Delta76 at 0.43) which is pretty amazing (albeit with a tad cooler than ideal white point of 6700K, but it is really unnoticeable). sRBG coverage is bang-on 99.9%
- Black point and Contrast: here the panel delivers in spades, calibrated at 120nits I got a black level of 0.022 cd/sqm and a ridiculous measured contrast of 5315:1. It's quite above even the declared spec of 4000:1, so either my ColorMunki has gone nuts or it's really one of the greatest strenghts of the panel. Anyway I can see it's good with my eyes and definitely on another level vs my previous IPS monitor (which was super glossy so fared quite good in that regard, at least as perception goes)
- Contrast shift: as in any VA panel, it's definitely there, there is a lightening in shadows from the center to the borders of the screen, but it really becomes noticeable only in the last sixth part or so of the panel either side
- Gamma: I got almost perfect gamma tracking at 2.2, only the 90% brightness value seems a bit off (but I do not see anyone using it at such level anyway). Differently from PCM review, I got it with gamma left at default 2.2 rather than raising it to 2.4
- Gaming: of course as stated in all reviews of this display, it's definitely not for serious gaming. Ghosting and trailing are quite obvious and in the long run (but even short ) they can get quite bothering, especially in fast FPS. For light or "static" gaming everything seems fine enough
- Multimedia and general usage: the panel seems reactive enough for me for video and movies watching, I didn't notice any disturbing trailing or ghosting, at least in 24-30 fps clips (not sure if Youtube videos are really 60fps as declared). Just be sure to have vsynch on all the time, otherwise tearing becomes really very noticeable on such a huge panel. Some people reported that the panel is too slow even for dragging around windows on the desktop, personally I cannot confirm this finding, seems all pretty normal to me, coming from another 60Hz panel. Despite the less than optimal BLB, even movies watching with black bar is very enjoyable, with definitely a "plasma look" to the images thanks to the excellent black and contrast levels. Even text scrolling doesn't look abnormal to me (unless one wants to read even while fast scrolling text, guess anyone has her perversions )
- Productivity: for now only used in Photoshop as a single display, to enjoy the massive size of the images that this beastie can deliver. At 110ppi guess we are at the limit for not using scaling, the PS interface gets quite tiny but still useable for me, but your mileage may vary in this regard
- Retention/burn in: nothing abnormal to report so far
- Screen coating: it's semy-glossy, with a very light anti-reflection treatment. It's definitely reflective, so lights behind the screen user are a total no go. At least reflections are quite smoother than a total glossy panel like my previous NEC Clearview which had very sharp (and more bothering) reflections.

So overall, considering for what I bought this display for, I'd give it an 8, the only real flaw (apart for gaming ineptitude, but I knew it in advance) for me being the underwhelming BLB of the panel.

Last edited:
As soon as I manage to set up my camera properly will do.
Even if it's quite noticeable on a total black screen, since I got zero dead pixels and a quite uniform panel, I decided to live with it and not returning the display at the end, but I can understand that other people could be more sensitive to the issue (PCM sample seemed to fare much better in that regard, but I do not know if it was cherry-picked by Philips or not).

Could someone please test if this exhibits the same oddities/artifacts as its predecessor?

Methodology, expected outcome and test pattern in youtube link.

I was going to buy BDM4065UC, but it I found out about image issues as described above and it was subsequently pulled from sale and replaced with this model. Still interested though, as are work colleagues.

Last edited:
Hello,

my preferences for monitor are as follow:

Minimum 40" size.
16:9
Curved

This Philips monitor has all of these.

I am only a bit afraid of gaming ghosts.

Is there any alternative for this Philips monitor also on the TVs field ?

(P.S: Why only Philips makes such big curved screen monitors, why the hell the others make noodles only ?)

Hey Tirpitz, thanks so much for the detailed review. I was tossing up whether to get this or a Sony 43" x800d. My usage is very similar to yours so pulling the trigger tonight.

Guess won't interest many in this forum, but here is my user report after three days of utilisation:

- Size: of course this thing is quite massive, especially coming from a 20", but the slight curve helps in not being too overwhelmed. Probably the provided stand is a tad too high and the optimal height can be found only by wall mounting it for maximum viewing comfort.
- BLB: unfortunately I hoped better in this regard, BLB is definitely evident in three corners of the screen, and there is some clouding near the center left. Nothing that is really bothersome in normal viewing conditions, but nonetheless I guess would be enough for a lot of people here to return it and hope for a better panel.
- Screen uniformity: seems pretty good to me for such a huge display, with no obvious color shifts whatsoever
- Color reproduction: spot on for me, and nothing that makes me miss my old (but quite good) IPS. After calibration with DisplayCAL I got an average Delta2000 of 0.24 (Delta76 at 0.43) which is pretty amazing (albeit with a tad cooler than ideal white point of 6700K, but it is really unnoticeable). sRBG coverage is bang-on 99.9%
- Black point and Contrast: here the panel delivers in spades, calibrated at 120nits I got a black level of 0.022 cd/sqm and a ridiculous measured contrast of 5315:1. It's quite above even the declared spec of 4000:1, so either my ColorMunki has gone nuts or it's really one of the greatest strenghts of the panel. Anyway I can see it's good with my eyes and definitely on another level vs my previous IPS monitor (which was super glossy so fared quite good in that regard, at least as perception goes)
- Contrast shift: as in any VA panel, it's definitely there, there is a lightening in shadows from the center to the borders of the screen, but it really becomes noticeable only in the last sixth part or so of the panel either side
- Gamma: I got almost perfect gamma tracking at 2.2, only the 90% brightness value seems a bit off (but I do not see anyone using it at such level anyway). Differently from PCM review, I got it with gamma left at default 2.2 rather than raising it to 2.4
- Gaming: of course as stated in all reviews of this display, it's definitely not for serious gaming. Ghosting and trailing are quite obvious and in the long run (but even short ) they can get quite bothering, especially in fast FPS. For light or "static" gaming everything seems fine enough
- Multimedia and general usage: the panel seems reactive enough for me for video and movies watching, I didn't notice any disturbing trailing or ghosting, at least in 24-30 fps clips (not sure if Youtube videos are really 60fps as declared). Just be sure to have vsynch on all the time, otherwise tearing becomes really very noticeable on such a huge panel. Some people reported that the panel is too slow even for dragging around windows on the desktop, personally I cannot confirm this finding, seems all pretty normal to me, coming from another 60Hz panel. Despite the less than optimal BLB, even movies watching with black bar is very enjoyable, with definitely a "plasma look" to the images thanks to the excellent black and contrast levels. Even text scrolling doesn't look abnormal to me (unless one wants to read even while fast scrolling text, guess anyone has her perversions )
- Productivity: for now only used in Photoshop as a single display, to enjoy the massive size of the images that this beastie can deliver. At 110ppi guess we are at the limit for not using scaling, the PS interface gets quite tiny but still useable for me, but your mileage may vary in this regard
- Retention/burn in: nothing abnormal to report so far
- Screen coating: it's semy-glossy, with a very light anti-reflection treatment. It's definitely reflective, so lights behind the screen user are a total no go. At least reflections are quite smoother than a total glossy panel like my previous NEC Clearview which had very sharp (and more bothering) reflections.

So overall, considering for what I bought this display for, I'd give it an 8, the only real flaw (apart for gaming ineptitude, but I knew it in advance) for me being the underwhelming BLB of the panel.

Back