Phenom is no more - Deneb to be "Phenom 2"

mpcamer1220

[H]ard|Gawd
It looks like AMD is trying to distance themselves from Agena/Phenom. Deneb will be known as Phenom 2.

Watch out. :eek:

Phenom 2 is not Phenom? They want to distance themselves from Phenom by using the name Phenom 2?

Those are some really credible sources you've got there.
Thanks.. :)

Here is the source:

----
Senior Brand Marketing Manager
Desktop Product Marketing

Advanced Micro Devices

As for AMDZone - http://www.dailytech.com/AMD+Phenom+Box+Art+Revealed/article9640.htm
Looks legit to me; I know that story is about a year old and not on AMDZone's site anymore, but the circumstances are similar. Also, the Inq picked up on the new Phenom name, as did Anand and a few others. Some have it as Phenom 2, others as Phenom II. I was told Phenom 2, but it is possible it could be both, depending on how marketing goes.

I still think they should have just stuck with the "Athlon X#" scheme. Athlon X2, Athlon X3, Athlon X4, Athlon X6, Athlon X8, etc.

It was a relatively well known name, and they need all the exposure they can get. They don't advertize, so it just made the average consumer go "what the hell is a Phenom? ...Oh, this box over here says 'intel' on it, I'll go with that".

pr tricks
the benchmarks won't lie!

no they wont but this is not the Barcelona its a vast improvement over it will it take on the i7 prob not but it brings something to market that is completive with 45nm core 2 that Intel is still pushing till middle of next year

no they wont but this is not the Barcelona its a vast improvement over it will it take on the i7 prob not but it brings something to market that is completive with 45nm core 2 that Intel is still pushing till middle of next year

Chances are that Deneb will be somewhere between the 65nm and 45nm C2Q CPUs. I really doubt that it'll be competitive with the 45nm C2Qs in terms of performance.

Wow, a totally unverified unreferenced source. How creative.
Considering the email was sent to me earlier this week, I'm assuming that this is correct.

I don't want to be a jerk or anything, but I won't post something original unless I know for a fact that it is or will be true. I have my credibility to worry about.

As of 11/13, Anand, TG, PCMag, MaxPC, etc.. are all referring to it as Phenom 2/II.. before that, it was just Phenom. AMD said at the analyst day that is is renamed; not sure how much more proof you need to verify my statements. :(

it wont compete with i7 in any way.. but it will bring a price competition with core 2 for sure.. if these deneb aka phenom II cores actually prove them selves it will finally force intel to drop their prices on the core 2's even further then they have already.. as long as they can compete with the qx9770 then amd has a much better chance at taking customers away from going with the core 2 quads if they havent already..

Back