Phenom II X2 555 unlock probability?

even most guys with full blown Phenom II 955/965 need that much voltage...

mine (Phenom II 965) is golden, on air I only need 1.4v at most to hold 4.0GHz

on my chiller it is stable at only 1.35v... stock volts... :D

I have a buddy with a 555 that makes mine look like crap... 4.2GHz, all 4 cores on air @ 1.35v... i thought he was BS'ing, till I saw it with my own two eyes

nice... most 555 (HDZ555WFK2DGM) are full-blown 955 (HDX955WFK4DGM) and clock very well:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

The Phenom II X4 B97 is gonna be fun too.

The 555 looks promisng for the unlock & overclock crowds & either way, you can't deny it. The dollar to performance ratio is in AMD's corner because of the aggressive pricing they have right now...

Nope. I reset it, and the only change I made in there was to unlock the cores. Still no go on even 1 core. Guess it just isn't going to work. Dang.

Have you checked the northbridge voltage? Try with only one or two dimms.

just picked up a Phenom II x2 555 from Microcenter... unlocks to 4 core and runs @ 3.4GHz @ 1.325v 100%

This may sound stupid but have you unplugged it? To get mine back to a 555 from a B55, I unplug the computer and turn off the PSU. Wait about 30 seconds, plug it back in and flip the PSU back on then turn the rig on and its back to a 555.

I know it sounds ridiculous but it works on my ASRock at least and is easier than pulling the case out, cover off and messing around with the CMOS reset jumpers.

Board: asrock 880 gxh
my first chip didnt unlock so i rma back to newegg for replacement and got lucky with a beastly chip that would unlock to x4 , crank it up to 4,0 ghz 54 fully loaded, 39c idle.

anyone have to go over 1.4v at stock speeds?

my motherboard wouldn't let me go below 1.414V. and coretemp says my vid is 1.4V. i have it at 1.424

its been extremely stable and temps are low for the chip (high 20s - 30s), so maybe i have nothing to worry about.

I'm thinking about picking up a Phenom II X2 at Microcenter, however I'm unsure about which motherboard to buy. Is the MSI board in the free bundle any good?

I'm thinking about picking up a Phenom II X2 at Microcenter, however I'm unsure about which motherboard to buy. Is the MSI board in the free bundle any good?

I got the Phenom II 555 and the MSI 785gm-p45, the total price was $117 out the door, there is also a $20 mail in rebate which makes the board FREE!

it unlocked to quad and OC'ed quite well for me... however the VRMs have no cooling so you should consider adding cooling to the VRMs as they hot insanely hot, they are actually too hot to touch, same with the chipset... they just need some extra cooling

Got mine from microcenter in Cambridge MA last week. Easily and quickly had it to 4 cores in matter of minutes in BIOS on the FIRST time booting the system up. Ran PRIME for about an hour, no issues. not looking to OC as its a media computer so want to keep the noise low. great deal! at $88

I've bought 2 X2 555's from the Egg and neither one would unlock and the BIOS had to be reset to get running again. I sure was disappointed but the one I kept OC's nicely to 3.825 GHz default voltage. All I do is game on that box anyway so it's no biggy to me..

I got the Phenom II 555 and the MSI 785gm-p45, the total price was $117 out the door, there is also a $20 mail in rebate which makes the board FREE!

it unlocked to quad and OC'ed quite well for me... however the VRMs have no cooling so you should consider adding cooling to the VRMs as they hot insanely hot, they are actually too hot to touch, same with the chipset... they just need some extra cooling

i got same as you from micro centre about month back what did you do to get 4 cores looks like mine will not work i tried a few setting in bios
but as soon as i reboot it does not post and got to reset jumpers to get back into bios
how can you tell if this chip as 4 core(2 disabled or if its just got 2 cores)

ty

i got same as you from micro centre about month back what did you do to get 4 cores looks like mine will not work i tried a few setting in bios
but as soon as i reboot it does not post and got to reset jumpers to get back into bios
how can you tell if this chip as 4 core(2 disabled or if its just got 2 cores)

ty

if you got a 555 it has 4 cores... have you tried more voltage to the CPU?

I seem to recall I had to do things in a certain order, that board can be a little picky on the order ou do settings on for some reason

haven't used amd in a while. thinking of building a new WHS to upgrade my old one.

currently has intel e5300, 1 gb ram.

now if i wanted to upgrade, which processor would be best?

x2 555 unlocked 4 core, x4 640, or 1055t?

server is mostly file sharing and going to be extracting rars downloaded from nzbs.

i had it on the e5300 but it was pretty slow at extracting. i think the 1055t might be a little overkill for WHS.

I seem to recall I had to do things in a certain order, that board can be a little picky on the order ou do settings on for some reason

i used the auto voltage that was at 1.4 so whats limit i could go to see if it will unlock
first time i tried to unlock can you recall what order you used much appreciated

can anyone school me or pm me
I am able to unlock it on acc 4 cores
and auto on everything and stock volt
however anything above the stock frequency or stock volt
it would bsod
prime95 bsod in 1 sec above anything stock volt/ freq
tips?

well i cannot find 4 cores when i change CPU Core Control and I can set it to either Auto or Manual and with Manual I get only 2 cores to control that says only one i can disable is the 2nd one but see 1-4 cores when it shows the +- %(-2) part but cannot do nothing only change the % also i cannot change voltage as there grayed out i am running the MSI 785gm-p45 m/b i mut be doing something wrong or got a 555 with 2 core if theres are 555 with 2 cores ?

Last edited:
anyone know why this is ty

what cooler are you running?

step 1: go into bios and set CPU voltage to 1.45v, save and exit

step 2: go back int the bios and turn on ACC (advanced clock calibration), save and exit

step 3: go back into the bios and turn on core unlocker

you can feed up to 1.55v to this CPU assuming you can cool it

note: step 2 might not be needed on this board

what cooler are you running?

step 1: go into bios and set CPU voltage to 1.45v, save and exit

i wish i could change cpu voltage all the cpu voltage area is grayed out

fair doos ,if i got a bad one that dont unlock but whats bothering me is that i cannot get more then 2 cores to show up so i can try it to disable other cores and see if that works

i only get 2 cores show up in the cpu core control anyone know whya that is or i doing something wrong

its just annoying and it does not even come on does not even start i got to reset jumpers to get back in to bios

MSI 785gm-p45 bios 11.4 if thats any help

121qreb.jpg

Last edited:
i wish i could change cpu voltage all the cpu voltage area is grayed out

fair doos ,if i got a bad one that dont unlock but whats bothering me is that i cannot get more then 2 cores to show up so i can try it to disable other cores and see if that works

i only get 2 cores show up in the cpu core control anyone know whya that is or i doing something wrong

its just annoying and it does not even come on does not even start i got to reset jumpers to get back in to bios

MSI 785gm-p45 bios 11.4 if thats any help

121qreb.jpg
Hate to say it, but I think your cores are just not unlocking with good enough stability to boot.

I also have the x2 555 and MSI 785GM-p45 combo from Microcenter. I couldn't get mine to unlock either but remember it is hit or miss.

Yeah thanks, I was going to go for the luck... but seeing all the newer reviews mostly claim to not unlock (or just unlock only 3) I think I'll just get the quad x4 955 or 965.

$45 more for me compared to the x2 555, but for sure I'll know its a quad :D

Just upgraded my sister-in-law's computer with new board, RAM, CPU, and hard drive. Got a nice little x2 555 for it and it unlocked all 4 cores no problem.

Damnit, I am still on the fence I guess.... where did you order from cyclone?

And what is the return policies at newegg and amazon for non-unlockable CPU returns? I just want to make sure I get a quad damnit.

I picked up an X2 555 BE and an Asus M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 from Newegg a week before Christmas. Unlocked 4 cores no problem, been nice and stable. I'll try some overclocking this week and see if I can get to the 3.7-3.8 range with it to boot.

It's random but I was willing to take the risk.

For the record, i have never had a failed unlock out of 4 total cpus. be aware that cheapo mobos and subadequate coolers WILL affect your odds of success.

I plan on going with the Asus EVO board, and to cool it, a Hyper 212+ ... so far I see that always seems to get the job done.

I just already have a dual-core so building it will be pointless to me if it does not unlock... how are the returns for amazon and newegg for CPUs? Do I just say it doesn't unlock and keep getting swapped until I can unlock???

I plan on going with the Asus EVO board, and to cool it, a Hyper 212+ ... so far I see that always seems to get the job done.

I just already have a dual-core so building it will be pointless to me if it does not unlock... how are the returns for amazon and newegg for CPUs? Do I just say it doesn't unlock and keep getting swapped until I can unlock???

You can always get a Phenom II X3 Black Edition for $75. Even if it doesn't unlock, 3 cores are better than 2.

True, I just was EXACTLY looking at that before I tabbed back to this thread :D

The problem is, they don't have that exact chip on amazon and thats where all my parts are cheaper (tax reasons with newegg :rolleyes: )

So now I was actually going to see if someone had a used one here on the trade forum section (doubtful) :D

Nobody seems to have any leftover used phenoms at all, besides one guy with a 1075T x6.....the rest are sold like hot cakes within hours ):

By the way, I am going for the ASUS M4A785-M board, seems to have the best of luck unlocking/OC.

If I can't find it, I guess I'm just going to get the

True, I just was EXACTLY looking at that before I tabbed back to this thread :D

The problem is, they don't have that exact chip on amazon and thats where all my parts are cheaper (tax reasons with newegg :rolleyes: )

So now I was actually going to see if someone had a used one here on the trade forum section (doubtful) :D

Nobody seems to have any leftover used phenoms at all, besides one guy with a 1075T x6.....the rest are sold like hot cakes within hours ):

By the way, I am going for the ASUS M4A785-M board, seems to have the best of luck unlocking/OC.

If I can't find it, I guess I'm just going to get the

I have a spare X4 940 BE I can sell, but it's AM2+ only.

Back