Phenom II Gaming Server Build Questions

ElMoIsEviL

Gawd
Hello AMD fans I have a few questions...

I am looking into buying a Phenom II Tri-Core CPU (I believe it's called the 720 Black Edition) and would like to know what motherboard you guys would recommend for a dedicated gaming server that will also double as a file server.

I want it to be a GREAT quality board but NOT Asus :).

I need the following:

- Lot's of SATA II ports
- Two PCIe x1 Slots for my SATA II controllers (16 HD's going in there each 1TB).
- One or two Legacy PCI Slots (For an IDE controller card just in case).
- RAM, I want a good amount of memory bandwidth available so that it can serves, un-par and quick par large files while at the same time running a dedicated Call of Duty 4 server. Any specific memory sticks that work well with Phenom II?
- A Cooler, I want something quiet but not overly huge (nothing like the V8 I bought currently for the Q9550 rig).
- Headroom for future CPU upgrades. I'd like it to run future newer model AM3 CPU's and not end at 95W TDP.

Suggestions? I haven't used an AMD based rig in a long time and these Tri-Cores seem like a steal at their current pricing.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I would suggest GA-MA790X-UD4P and Xigmatek Red Scorpion... Any DDR2 1066 kit with 2.0v or lower is best for Phenom build.

I would suggest GA-MA790X-UD4P and Xigmatek Red Scorpion... Any DDR2 1066 kit with 2.0v or lower is best for Phenom build.

What if I were to go with DDR-3?

I'm curious as to what board you would recommend for that.

If you have something against ASUS, I totally understand, but...

If there were a more ridiculously stable motherboard, you'd be hard-pressed to find it. This M4A79T Deluxe is quite nice. On the AMD side, the technology is very immature yet I find this motherboard does not exactly act its age. Just my 2 cents, but Gigabyte can go screw themselves sideways with The Great American Challenge . I've had too many bad products and horrible service from them.

Very good suggestions. I like the sunbeam core contact HSF a little better (it can be mounted so fan does not block ram slots & points towards back exhaust fan of case). I use that board and love it.

To op: Just make sure the board has a 790*/SB750 chipset combo. The 790 has a GX version with integrated video and an FX version that supports tri-channel sli. Rumor has it that FX ones overclock a little better but no substantive proof Ive seen so far. I have the gpu on my 790gx-ud4p disabled but I may want to use it as a STREAM processor someday. And just in case my vid ever dies, its nice that the onboard video can run aero perfectly + games not too bad

I assume that data integrity is very important to you since you mentioned quick par. ECC should be considered a must in your case.

When I was looking around for Phenom II mobos not too long ago, I choose an Asus M3A79-T motherboard since it was almost the only mobo that supported and utilized unbuffered ECC RAM. Asus seems to be better then most at fully supporting ECC RAM in desktop motherboards.

Also reccomend the MA790GP-UD4H.
I bought 3 back when it had like 2-3 reviews. All work perfect.
Very good board.

Thanks guys. Ill check out the MA790GP-UD4H. The reason I don't like Asus motherboards is that they never perform as reviewed. Ever since the P4S8X I've been leary of Asus quality. My last Asus boards were the P5WDH and P5K-E Wifi/AP and both were so so. I've found that Gigabyte boards tend to be the best so I'm glad people here recommended 'em.

I always recommend against Biostar. I used one of their mobos once way back when, and went through 3 none of them worked right.

Go with Gigabyte (my fav atm), MSI, Asus (have used several with no issues), ect. Just make sure it has a 790*/sb750 chipset!

how long ago was that? Last 2 years, they fail rate is about on par as other makers from returns. I see in the office.

Back