phenom ii 955 not compatible but 945 okay??

watanabe

Limp Gawd
Just started a master's in architecture, and we're doing everything in Rhino with maxwell as a renderer. So I just ordered this on newegg as a stopover until my next major system rebuild cause I didn't want to get a i7 + RAM + new mobo. Figure'd going from an [email protected] to [email protected] would cut out a nice amount of waiting with rendering times.

My mobo is the original rev 1.0 gigabyte ga-ma78gm-s2h, and I just noticed that after looking at the compatibility chart on gigabyte's site that the 945 is listed as compatible since BIOS F8, whereas the 955 is not?? I don't get how this could be as they're both 125w?

I just realized it may be because it won't run at stock speeds with the lower bus speed, and not having a high enough multiplier or something? I guess if it boots I could get it back up by oc'ing the bus/htt/etc so the lower multiplier can still get it to(over) 3.2ghz?

Anyone have a similar issue?

edit: emailed newegg trying to switch my order to a 940, seems thats what would work best with what I have and save a few bucks. Still, incase they don't, curious as to whether or not this would work.

Last edited:
technically yes the 945 and 955 are the same.. but not really.. the 945 uses a stock voltage of 1.32v(same as the 940) and the 955 uses a stock voltage of 1.25v (and no the 945 wont run at 1.25v either).. if the motherboard supports the 945.. then it supports the 955.. everything should run exactly the same with no issues..

When the 955's first came out my Gigabyte board showed the 955's as being compatable with the F7 bios but now it shows that the 955 isn't compatable. I know I didn't just dream this up because I almost pulled the trigger and bought a 955 right after they were released and I updated my bios so I'd be ready if I ordered it. Now it won't work according to them. :confused: WTF?? My board is a GA-MA770-DS3 (rev. 1.0). I just now looked and it now shows no AM3 support on the cpu supported list. What the hell is Gigabyte doing- LOL. Last month it showed my board being fully AM3 compatable.

Last edited:
When the 955's first came out my Gigabyte board showed the 955's as being compatable with the F7 bios but now it shows that the 955 isn't compatable. I know I didn't just dream this up because I almost pulled the trigger and bought a 955 right after they were released and I updated my bios so I'd be ready if I ordered it. Now it won't work according to them. :confused: WTF?? My board is a GA-MA770-DS3 (rev. 1.0). I just now looked and it now shows no AM3 support on the cpu supported list. What the hell is Gigabyte doing- LOL. Last month it showed my board being fully AM3 compatable.

perhaps further testing has revealed a weakness?

I have a similar board the GA-MA78GM-S2HP(rev. 2.0). I tried putting a phenom 2 955 into it based upon AMD's recommendation chart (here: http://products.amd.com/en-us/Recom...™+II+X4&f2=955&f3=C2&f4=&f5=&f6=&f7=&f8=125+W).

Results: computer would not reliably boot and when it did the processor only would run at 1.6 ghz even without cool & quiet enabled. If I manually set the multi to 16 then no boot.

When I contacted Gigabyte tech support about a BIOS update they didn't repond for so long that I got scared and took that processor back and got a x3 720 which works great.

So, I'd say you should contact them for a BIOS update BEFORE you get the chip, and see if they can provide that.

Back