Phenom II 945 AM3 Idles at around 50C

IceDigger

[H]F Junkie
I have a problem with my system. I am thinking the temps are idling too high but don't think the hsf is the problem. I switched out the hsf 2x and even applied some artic silver each time. It still reports the same temps. It idles at around 50-55C. When I bring up simple things like the zune player or a flash movie the temps skyrocket to 65-69C.

Cliffs

- AMD 945 Idles at 50-55C
- Tried switching out HSF 2x and reseating
- Tried Applying Artic Silver
- Playing Simple Programs (Zune Player, Flash Movies) brings CPU to 65-69C
- Updated BIOS

System Specs
AMD 945 AM3 CPU
6GB DDR3 1333 Crucial RAM
MSI C45 770 AM3 Motherboard w/710 NB and Latest BIOS
ASUS Xonar DX Sound Card
XFX 4890 1GB Video Card

Ack, bios is reporting 56C in the bios screen.

I am using cpuid for detecting the temps in windows.

What is the voltage set at in the BIOS? I suggest either AMD Overdrive or CoreTemp, since they read the sensor on the actual CPU, and not the one under the socket like the BIOS does. Also, when the temps max out, is there any evidence of throttling, or does the computer shut itself down?

Blah, same temps with new motherboard after a bit.

Had a spare asrock AM3 motherboard lying around.

Last edited:
How did you apply the thermal paste? Look up tutorials to make sure you are doing it right.

Make sure the Bios is putting the correct amount of voltage to the chip. The CPU-VID should be1.30v - 1.35v. while the NB-VID is 1.10v - 1.15v.

There have been a few post about people getting the wrong voltages, even with the BIOS set to auto.

Make sure the Bios is putting the correct amount of voltage to the chip. The CPU-VID should be1.30v - 1.35v. while the NB-VID is 1.10v - 1.15v.

There have been a few post about people getting the wrong voltages, even with the BIOS set to auto.

nb vid was set to 1.4

What cooler are you using? Is the fan working? Is cool n quiet enabled? Are there any background tasks eating CPU cycles? Need more info!

are you putting more than a thin layer of thermal paste ?!?! just because you spread it with a razor blade doesnt mean that it is spread sufficiently...use the "pea" method, and let us know what happens....it sounds like you dont have as good of a thermal connection between your HSF and your CPU

What cooler are you using? Is the fan working? Is cool n quiet enabled? Are there any background tasks eating CPU cycles? Need more info!

Right, what heatsink are you using ? I have had mobos with bad sensors that read temps wrong. Hold your hand next to your heatsink and see if its hot, 69c should be toasty.

The AMD stock heatsink is pretty bad, especially if the proper fan isn't being used. I'd try a different HSF.

Left unmentioned, 69c is very dangerous for that CPU...Max is 63c.

Which programs are you using to monitor your temps?

What are the voltage readings in CPU-Z? Should be around 1.35v.

Touch the bottom of your heatsink, make sure that it's actually THAT hot...If not, bad temp reader I'd guess...

If these don't help...I say go back to where you got your CPU from and change it ^.^

What is the voltage set at in the BIOS? I suggest either AMD Overdrive or CoreTemp, since they read the sensor on the actual CPU, and not the one under the socket like the BIOS does. Also, when the temps max out, is there any evidence of throttling, or does the computer shut itself down?
Man, you just saved me a huge headache. I have been getting super high temps for a long time and couldn't figure it out. Used CoreTemp and OverDrive to figure out my mobo heat sensor was kaput. Mobo reads the temp as 10+c under load than what these programs do. Ty ;)

I usually trust Everest to read AMD temps. It always reported them accurate, even if I was running an unlocked CPU (x2 550 -> quad.)

I would reseat the heatsink a third time, but this time only use a small dot of thermal paste on the middle of the CPU as big as an uncooked grain of rice. Then mount the heatsink and allow it to spread the thermal paste. Too much thermal paste is as much of a problem as not having enough.

Check that your cool n quiet is operating. Which version of windows are you using?

Download AMD power monitor, it shows whether the cores are shutting down to save power or not (should show green when system is idle)

CPUZ's hardware monitor will show the correct sensor temp readings, also, the stock AMD HSF is fine and should not cause out of range running.

I usually trust Everest to read AMD temps. It always reported them accurate, even if I was running an unlocked CPU (x2 550 -> quad.)

I would reseat the heatsink a third time, but this time only use a small dot of thermal paste on the middle of the CPU as big as an uncooked grain of rice. Then mount the heatsink and allow it to spread the thermal paste. Too much thermal paste is as much of a problem as not having enough.

I think Everest somewhat reads my 945 wrong. Each core temperature ideals at 45 to 50, but CPU temp sits around 70 degrees. Under loads, CPU temp hits more than 80, while core temp stays around 60 degrees.

I'm using stock HSF, and MOBO is Gigabyte MA78LM-S2 that I picked up at Frys with the 945. Does anyone have similar experiences?

[F2C]MaDMaXX;1035318288 said:
What does CPUID's hardware monitor say for yours?

http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

For me, I didn't really try HWmonitor yet for 945. Will post results once I get a chance.

But, my other computer that has X2 4200+ and foxconn K8C51GM03 post 118 Celsius with HWMonitor, which I obviously don't believe. :p

So which is right would be a pertinent question, do we know where HWMonitor takes the temp data from?

HWMonitor gets it the same with Core Temp gets it.....both are reliable....chances are if it gives a reading of 100 C plus and your chip is still going and there is no fire, the temp sensor is bad....

I think Everest somewhat reads my 945 wrong. Each core temperature ideals at 45 to 50, but CPU temp sits around 70 degrees. Under loads, CPU temp hits more than 80, while core temp stays around 60 degrees.

I'm using stock HSF, and MOBO is Gigabyte MA78LM-S2 that I picked up at Frys with the 945. Does anyone have similar experiences?

The CPU temp will always read different than that Core temps due to where the diodes are placed. The CPU temps are using a sensor that's on the motherboard, near the socket while the Core sensor is the one built into the CPU itself. When paying attention to temps, the Core is the most important one.

Also, getting 60C on your Core temps is a little high, but as long as you don't surpass 67-69C there shouldn't be any long term damage. AMD says that the max for the Phenom II X4's is 63C, but that's just a very conservative limit. I've seen chips work with the core temps into the 70C range with no ill-effects and once they hit too high, the CPU will kick in thermal protection.

Edit: Added a pic of my HWMonitor SS which shows the difference between CPU and Core temps.

Last edited:
Interesting, my board only has two sensors, like yours, but doesn't say which is which. I ignore them anyway as like you said, it's the core temps from the chip that matter.

In fact, i can guess tbh, but my board temp has always shown high, it's about 30c, with the cpu showing 35 right now, but the core temps are at 21c

Makes me wonder why, i have a 120mm on the exit and entrance to the case.

The CPU temp will always read different than that Core temps due to where the diodes are placed. The CPU temps are using a sensor that's on the motherboard, near the socket while the Core sensor is the one built into the CPU itself. When paying attention to temps, the Core is the most important one.

Also, getting 60C on your Core temps is a little high, but as long as you don't surpass 67-69C there shouldn't be any long term damage. AMD says that the max for the Phenom II X4's is 63C, but that's just a very conservative limit. I've seen chips work with the core temps into the 70C range with no ill-effects and once they hit too high, the CPU will kick in thermal protection.

Edit: Added a pic of my HWMonitor SS which shows the difference between CPU and Core temps.

Thanks for the information. I replaced stock HSF with cooler master one, and now it's always under 45. :)

Back