Phenom II 1090t cooling options

t5brick

Supreme [H]ardness
It has been years since I've cracked open a PC and messed with any of the hardware, so I'm not really up to date with current HSF/water cooling setups. I recently bought a used 1090t to upgrade my wife's gaming PC, and it came with the stock 4 heat pipe HSF. Under IBT or Prime95 I'm seeing ~60c core temps, and that's just too high for me. Also the fan is damn loud.

Does anyone have any suggestions for an aftermarket cooling setup that isn't too loud(or at least has a couple of different fan speed options)? I've been looking at the Corsair H100(should fit in the case) and the Zalman CNPS12x(not so sure about fitament on this one) as potential options, but I really don't know what else is out there anymore.

Even if you overclock or not, then CM 212 evo is a good choice for the price.(what most suggest for aftermarket)

If you want the best and most quiet(due to not needing the fans to run much) the Noctua DH-14 is huge(HUGE) but has super cooling power. The HS can support up to 3 fans. :)

I run a Coolmaster N620 on my 1090T and have had no heat related problems.It's ajustable fan control,little noise at highest fan settings,good cooler.

I run a Coolmaster N620 on my 1090T and have had no heat related problems.It's ajustable fan control,little noise at highest fan settings,good cooler.

Looks like its been discontinued, cant find it on newegg or amazon.

I ran a Hyper 212+ with my 1090 and was able to overclock it to 4.0 GHz and keep my temps in the upper 50's. My proc ran out of overclocking room before it ran out of cooling room so Id say a Hyper 212+ which runs in the low $30's would be perfect and will handle just about anything youd want to throw at it. Granted, Ive got very good case cooling and air flow but still, a 212 should still work great.

I ran a Hyper 212+ with my 1090 and was able to overclock it to 4.0 GHz and keep my temps in the upper 50's. My proc ran out of overclocking room before it ran out of cooling room so Id say a Hyper 212+ which runs in the low $30's would be perfect and will handle just about anything youd want to throw at it. Granted, Ive got very good case cooling and air flow but still, a 212 should still work great.

Yeah, I just like the evo since it doesnt have the big gaps between the pipes underneath, but the 212+ or evo works great, even for high OC's.

For every test I find that the 212+ performs better, I find another showing the Evo doing better. I think theyre probably about the same when push come to shove. The Evo is quieter with its slower spinning fans but the + is $10 cheaper. Cant lose with either but Id get the + cause I think it might have a 1-2C edge and Ive never had an issue with its noise even running dual fans.

I was looking at the 212+ and the 212 evo at frys today, and there's a $5 difference between the two. I'd probably go with the Evo since it supposedly is quieter.

I did notice that they've got refurb Corsair h50 units for $40. That didn't seem like a bad price. I wonder how that would handle the heat if I kept it stock. I'm pretty sure that is what the previous owner of this chip was using, except he had a push/pull setup and I don't know the specs of the fan he was using.

I was looking at the 212+ and the 212 evo at frys today, and there's a $5 difference between the two. I'd probably go with the Evo since it supposedly is quieter.

I did notice that they've got refurb Corsair h50 units for $40. That didn't seem like a bad price. I wonder how that would handle the heat if I kept it stock. I'm pretty sure that is what the previous owner of this chip was using, except he had a push/pull setup and I don't know the specs of the fan he was using.

I would go for the H80+/920 over the h50, if you want quiet though I am not sure if the pump would be louder then the fan.
If you are going to keep the cpu stock, then the 212 will be pretty quiet.

Its all a matter of money. If you want to not worry about either, get the dh14 and be done.

I would go for the H80+/920 over the h50, if you want quiet though I am not sure if the pump would be louder then the fan.
If you are going to keep the cpu stock, then the 212 will be pretty quiet.

Its all a matter of money. If you want to not worry about either, get the dh14 and be done.

Ah. I wasn't really thinking about pump noise. I'll probably stick with the advice most people have given and go with the CM212 evo. The DH14 looks awesome, but it's pretty expensive and I don't really plan on overclocking.

Back