Phenom compared to Phenom II?

Clock per clock, phenom I will be slightly slower. Additionally, Phenom I cannot reach the clocks of the Phenom II. That 9750 probably won't even hit the stock clocks of the 940 (3.0 ghz), much less match it overclocked.

I would put a Phenom II in your motherboard. There's always the off-chance that the bios won't recognize it properly, but still be able to run it.

if it helps I had an x2 6400 and I bought a Phenom 9650 oc'd it to 2.6 and in most games at the time and everything besides 3d modeling my x2 was faster than the Phenom

Get a new motherboard if it truely doesnt support anything better then an AM2.. But model board is it.. Lets see if there is a bios fix.

Clock per clock, phenom I will be slightly slower. Additionally, Phenom I cannot reach the clocks of the Phenom II. That 9750 probably won't even hit the stock clocks of the 940 (3.0 ghz), much less match it overclocked.

I would put a Phenom II in your motherboard. There's always the off-chance that the bios won't recognize it properly, but still be able to run it.

I'm going to need a little more than an off chance if im spending $115 on something. I'm not even really sure if this motherboard is stable enough to oc at all, i've tried it before and it ends up screwing my whole machine over, but that could just be my current processor.

Get a new motherboard if it truely doesnt support anything better then an AM2.. But model board is it.. Lets see if there is a bios fix.
all my info is in my sig.

i really dont want to get anything new right, now wanting to build a new machine when i get some money, but if i can spend $50-$100 on a processor that will let me play bc2 better i'm definitely going to do it.

Look at the most recent bios update notes for your board..
File Size 524288 Upload Date 2008-02-18
Description To support AM2+ CPU. (with Biostar logo)
File N56BA218.BST

You should be fine with a phenom II.. & if your not then spend 40 bucks & but another board that is.

i really dont want to get anything new right, now wanting to build a new machine when i get some money, but if i can spend $50-$100 on a processor that will let me play bc2 better i'm definitely going to do it.

Honestly I wouldnt spend more then about 30 bucks out of pocket to upgrade to anything short of an Athalon II or Phenom II.. If your going to spend 100 bucks you can just about geta new phenon & mobo..

Look at the most recent bios update notes for your board..

You should be fine with a phenom II.. & if your not then spend 40 bucks & but another board that is.

Great news, thanks. Can anyone else verify this? On the subject, i should definitely get phenom2 over athlon2 correct? i got the impression from benchmarks that the l3 cache wasnt worth it in gaming.

Honestly I wouldnt spend more then about 30 bucks out of pocket to upgrade to anything short of an Athalon II or Phenom II.. If your going to spend 100 bucks you can just about geta new phenon & mobo..
Yeah i'm not wanting to either.. hope to find something on craigslist if i can't get phenom II on this mobo.

Great news, thanks. Can anyone else verify this? On the subject, i should definitely get phenom2 over athlon2 correct? i got the impression from benchmarks that the l3 cache wasnt worth it in gaming.

Yeah i'm not wanting to either.. hope to find something on craigslist if i can't get phenom II on this mobo.

for non-overclock, the difference will be small.....the 955 overclocks like a king....hard to beat, if it will work on your board, otherwise even a Phenom I Quad core with similar/same speeds as your Athlon X2 will offer better game play in BC2, however I would personally get a 955 + cheapo Am2+ to reuse your whole system minus board/CPU, and then when you get an upgrade itch get ram/mobo and use the 955

It depends. At the lower clock speeds, (lower than 3 ghz), the difference between having and not having the l3 cache is about 5%. At higher clock speeds, this increases to 10-15%. Make sure you don't get the Phenom II 840, as that really is the Athlon II architecture, not a Phenom II.

According to the Biostar website, it doesn't appear that your board supports AM3 or even AM2+ Phenom II cpu'. Regardless, you could still get some old AM2+ Phenom II' (920 and 940) to work; possibly. The current BIOS is pretty damn old. However, read this:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1388628

However, even an Athlon II x4 635 smacks that Phenom 9750 (which you listed above) around.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/122?vs=22

just got a reply to my craigslist ad

"I bought a amd x4 940 amd2+ quad 3.0 125w for $109, make me an offer, won’t fit my mobo I have a am3."

will this or will it not work with my motherboard? and what kind of offer should i make?

About $70 for that 940, and it should work, if your motherboard can support AM2+ Phenom II processors.

About $70 for that 940, and it should work, if your motherboard can support AM2+ Phenom II processors.

my motherboard is in my signature. it doesnt officially say it supports it, just phenom I, but a couple people in this thread say it might work. that's cool if it doesnt i just need to know one way or another.

does anybody have a solid answer?

Nobody would have a solid answer unless they had your specific motherboard and tried it out with a Phenom II processor. Best bet is to try a google search.

Google has told me nothing. Anyone else with experience with a TF560+ and an AM2+ 940?

Last edited:
registration is closed, doesnt look like the busiest board either :p

I agree that best chance is 1st release Phenom II (920 or 940BE) with little/no room for overclocking. Their AM2 boards from that period never worked with the 955+ as far as I know. They would boot but would be stuck at 800MHz with the 955 and other AM3 chips.

can you tell me that again in retard terms? not full retard of course but i dont understand what you mean by 1st release, or what the 955 is.

Phenom I are AM2+. The first two Phenom II processors (920 and 940BE) were also AM2+ as they did not have a working DDR3 controller. AM2 boards (in general) with dodgy AM2+ support required another BIOS update to run AM3 chips (945/955 etc.) and without a BIOS update for AM3 would not identify the processor. If that happens they default to the failsafe speed of 800MHz with no way to raise the multiplier as far as I know.

Phenom I are AM2+. The first two Phenom II processors (920 and 940BE) were also AM2+ as they did not have a working DDR3 controller. AM2 boards (in general) with dodgy AM2+ support required another BIOS update to run AM3 chips (945/955 etc.) and without a BIOS update for AM3 would not identify the processor. If that happens they default to the failsafe speed of 800MHz with no way to raise the multiplier as far as I know.

So what does this mean for me? Are you saying there is absolutely no way of knowing if it will work with my board until i try it? Fuck everything about that..

wanting to go with the 9750 but it isnt that big of an upgrade from my 5600. i was just wanting to give my baby a little boost of speed for now that will hold me over until i build my new pc at the end of the summer but its looking like i have to upgrade my mobo and thats a little much..

yeah i read that and it made me excited like a little girl, but i also saw another thread that showed a difference between the 920 and 940, big enough to where it probably wont work on my board.

yeah i read that and it made me excited like a little girl, but i also saw another thread that showed a difference between the 920 and 940, big enough to where it probably wont work on my board.
What do you mean? The 920 and 940BE are basically identical the 940 is just a better batch/binning and has an unlocked multiplier. If it works for Polygon you should try his modded BIOS and give it a try with a 940BE:
http://www.lejabeach.com/Biostar/TF560A2+/

should work will likly be identified as a Phenom unknown or Athlon unknown but should work. As for a 9750 its an upgrade like i said a Phenom X4 9650 oced to 2.6 was equal to my X2 6400 this was in 2008 so today in games and programs that are native multicore it should work, granted on an AM2 board you can't OC they don't support ocing AM2+ chips

For what it's worth This Gigabyte nForce 560 board supports phenom II up to the 955.
So it would seem it's just a case of manufacturer not updating bios. These off-brands tend to have a sell-it-and-forget-it philosophy. Or maybe they just forgot to update the compatibility list, it seems a little on the short side.

well remember even if it supports it its still limited to a 1000mhz HT and no possibility of overclocking at all.

well remember even if it supports it its still limited to a 1000mhz HT and no possibility of overclocking at all.

dont really care about overclocking. have a hard enough time getting shit to work right in the first place.

dont really care about overclocking. have a hard enough time getting shit to work right in the first place.

alright as long as no Ocing, no power management aka cool n quiet wont work and your ok with the HT @ 1000 instead of 2000 you will be fine

Thats what happens when you use a low end off brand board.

Back