Phenom board with SLI?

ohgod

Gawd
I haven't seen many reviews of AM2 + boards with SLI. I am looking to upgrade to AMD quad core and take my 2x 8800gt's with me. Any suggestions or advice?

looking to to to 9600 quad with 4 gigsof ram
From my rig in my signature.

Price is a major consideration and the 9600 BE quad seemed like an easy way to get into a quadcore.

If you want to get Phenom + SLI mobo on the cheap I suggest:

ASUS M2N-SLI $87
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131246

Phenom 9550 $130
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103276

Those who said you don't want a Phenom 9600 are pretty much correct...the chip is harder to OC than the xx50 Phenoms and it's got the known bug as well which can impact stability in 64-bit OS.

I will definately go with that quadcore. Any reccomendations on any other motherboards? Anyone on a quad Phenom system that can share their experience?

I'm on a QC 9950 Phenom, I like it a lot. Very snappy in Vista, and a huge upgrade from my single core 3700+
I'm using the Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H motherboard, Rev 1.1, and it works impressively well. Lots of OC ability on it, very small, and it fits in my Ultra MicroFly with a 4850. I'd def. recommend it.

I've worked with a bunch of Phenom's. There are some solid boards out there but there are very few SLI compatible boards to choose from. The only new one I saw was the MSI K9N2. I had generally positive experiences with it but Kyle hated it.

http://hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTUyMywxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

Overall I'm not a fan of the AMD Phenom processors in general. They are certainly sub-par and I'm not the biggest fan of most of the boards. Personally I'd wait for Nehalem to come out before bying anything. It will at least drive the prices down on everything that's out now. Who knows? Within a few weeks of launch you may be able to find a great deal on a superior Core 2 Duo/Core 2 Quad setup and a great deal on a once very expensive LGA775 motherboard.

That's what I'd do.

Hello,

You might try the Gigabyte Ga-m750sli-ds4,

My information on the board:

GA-m750sli-ds4

Intel is faster no doubt, but you can have a nice budget build with AMD. They both make fast nice systems. I have a little write up in that thread about the phenom boards I've tried.

I will definately go with that quadcore. Any reccomendations on any other motherboards? Anyone on a quad Phenom system that can share their experience?

I got mine on the cheap (necessary for the time) but the system listed is not that good for the price. An EVGA 750i + E8400 can be had for around 300 dollars and will wipe the floor with the other. I can't see it. In fact I am about ready to jump ship. I am just waiting to see how the die shrinks go.

The 780a chipset boards are about all you really have to pick from if you desire Sli and AMD. Not that Sli on Intel boards is 'cheap' enough to be worth it IMO. There are plenty of single card monsters out there right now to not even care about running more than one card. IMO the premium that you pay for SLI on the mobo is not worth it, not to mention, running SLI or X-dress is very CPU limited/intensive, so running dual cards on an AMD proc is a further waste of two cards potential since they dont scale well at all unless you have a very good CPU. It is likely that you would get more performance out of a single GTX 280 than dual 8800GTS512's, a 4870x2, dual 4870's, 9800GTX's, etc... simply because the CPU isnt as important. And I take it that if you wanted to SLI a couple 260's or 280's, you would be looking at a higher performance Intel proc/platform anyways.

I currently run a 6400x2 w/ 590 SLi chipset and dual 8800GTS 512's and they scale for crap. I want to sell them and replace them with a single GTX 280.

Try the Gigabyte GA-M750SLI-DS4. I currently own one and I haven't had any issues unlike those Intel SLI boards.

Back