Phenom 9950 BE 125w

vict0r

[H]ard|Gawd
I've read in another thread that these new 125w 9950's are kind of good, they seem to be overclocking really well..i KNOW that if one goes with a Q6600,one might be on a faster lane...

I'm currently on an x2 4200+ (socket 939) and was wondering if I go with a 9950, will i notice a huge improvement?
the only game i really play is counter-strike source , it doesn't support 4 cores..but will i still notice an improvement?
Other things i do might be some movie rips, some decoding action, and the rest just web surfing..i'm not the type that upgrades a cpu every 6 months...

I'd like some help..i know this is the AMD section,i want to go with AMD but i really want to know if I shall go with the Q6600 instead or if the 9950 will suite me just fine..

Check out this thread for a comparison of X2 and Phenom that JimmiG did. Doesn't have your specific game, but you can get an idea of what to expect. Short answer is yes, it will be an improvement. Only you can determine what is huge, though.

I have a couple Q6600 and they all do 3.0ghz easily. I upgraded almost two years ago from an Athlon 64 3400+ (single core) to an E6600 system - can't say that I noticed much difference in anything but benchmarks, since I only gamed and 1280x1024 resolution - the old x800xt and Athlon was good enough. The upgrade from the E6600 to Q6600 was even more underwhelming.

so basically, the difference between q6600 and x4 9950 is only seen in 3dmark06 and other benchmarks..but in real game action etc etc the difference won't be more than like 5 fps..right?

so basically, the difference between q6600 and x4 9950 is only seen in 3dmark06 and other benchmarks..but in real game action etc etc the difference won't be more than like 5 fps..right?

At stock speeds there's not much difference between the two, at max overclock the Q6600 would be around ~20% faster (~10% higher IPC + ~10% higher overclock speed). In terms of performance in CS:S, you should be fine with either CPU, even at stock speeds.

i thought so too.. i could try and get the phenom to 3Ghz and that would be more than enough.

however others have told me to go with a cheap e7200 Intel cpu on say an asus p5q pro ..and i might hit between 3.6ghz and even 4 ghz if you know what you're doing..and that would be good enough for what I do..

so i'm in such a dillema..

CPU work for crysis warhead
Phenom 9500 (2,2 GHz) and 4870X2
crysiswareheadvl9.jpg

i thought so too.. i could try and get the phenom to 3Ghz and that would be more than enough.

however others have told me to go with a cheap e7200 Intel cpu on say an asus p5q pro ..and i might hit between 3.6ghz and even 4 ghz if you know what you're doing..and that would be good enough for what I do..

so i'm in such a dillema..

It wouldn't really matter for CS:S, the E7200 @ 3.6GHz+ will probably get higher framerates but they should be well over 60fps so the difference won't be noticeable.

The quads will help for encoding movies though, you did mention you don't upgrade often, so it may be worth spending a little more on a quad just for the sake of 'future proofing' your system.

alright ... so still the 9950 instead of q6600..

btw im not a 3dmark06 and super pi fan..and im not trying to set any world records..

all i want is to play my game smooth as butter with everything to its maximum and enjoy a smooth and sweet ride..

CPU work for crysis warhead
Phenom 9500 (2,2 GHz) and 4870X2
crysiswareheadvl9.jpg

you've got the game minimized - once you've minimized something it goes onto IDLE mode..so you might wanna run crysis at window mode..and have task manager up and youll see how much cpu ultilization is taken in place.

you've got the game minimized - once you've minimized something it goes onto IDLE mode..so you might wanna run crysis at window mode..and have task manager up and youll see how much cpu ultilization is taken in place.

That's what the graph shows

Sigh...... :confused::confused::confused: I believe it also shows the history on the graph..... :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
WOW

Don't understand?
I am running crysis with dual monitors, windows mode is what I am running mostly. I have been watching a video while running crysis also. It doesn't use the CPU that much

This is from stalker clear sky, there you can se when one core works really hard. the game is very playable though, runs very smooth
8xvd3s.jpg

go with the 9950 with a sb750 board (790gx boards with sb750 should be cheap)

id say 3.1-3.4ghz overclocks would be guaranteed, all the newer 9950's ive seen with sb750 seem to atleast do 3.1 with proper air cooling, and some even with stock cooling

best of luck mate

A little OT, but a quick question, I just picked up a Phenom 9950BE, it will run in the ASUS board I have with a 770 right? I know it's not the best, but it will run, right?

A little OT, but a quick question, I just picked up a Phenom 9950BE, it will run in the ASUS board I have with a 770 right? I know it's not the best, but it will run, right?

Ya.......I ran a 9850BE in an Abit AX78 until I bought a Gigabarf 790GX. It ran fine at 2.8ghz, but I could clock it up to 3.25 in the Giga. Just don't expect much as far as O/Cing goes. You will probably need to check Asus' support site for bios updates.:D

i use the 9950 125w, its nice, speedy - hot though. mae sure you have a decent cooler. i overclocked with the stock cooler to 3.1GHz and hit around 60* idle.....

decent chip, just make sure you have a nice cooler too :)

(now using the tuniq 120 tower and working pukka) :)

i am in the same dilema that you are...
9950 be vs. e7200 or q6600.

I think im going with the 9950 be though because the am2+ motherboards are alot cheaper than the intel counterparts.

Back