Phenom 2 vs Richland

Darakian

Supreme [H]ardness
Has anyone done a CPU comparison between these two? I'm looking to downsize my system as I don't game much anymore. Any links?

I could never find any actual benches to compare Phenom II to Trinity/Richland's Piledriver cores. I do know that generally Piledriver is about the same perf as PII clock-for-clock. Since Richland can reach higher clocks with ease (people hitting 5.0 ghz on AIR constantly) I'd say it's a no-brainer.

I would suggest looking up FX-43xx series comparisons, although the FX series has the benefit of L3 cache (5-10% difference, depending on application).

I have a phenom II 955 Oc'd to 3.8ghz (around what a 980 is). From what I have read about the APUs the 6800k APU and I found a few benchmarks comparing the two chips they are about the same speed. I'm not spending the money for essentially a side grade. I can't find the benchmarks that I saw but the Phenom II was a good bit faster in a few of the benchies and broke even in a few others.

I have a phenom II 955 Oc'd to 3.8ghz (around what a 980 is). From what I have read about the APUs the 6800k APU and I found a few benchmarks comparing the two chips they are about the same speed. I'm not spending the money for essentially a side grade. I can't find the benchmarks that I saw but the Phenom II was a good bit faster in a few of the benchies and broke even in a few others.

Sounds about right. Richland has 2 modules, and the shared front end can be a huge bottleneck when it comes to multithreaded performance. Single-threaded performance will likely be similar, probably better on Richland due to higher achievable overclocks.

It is indeed a sidegrade, but remember, the 965 was a $200 CPU brand new, while the 6800k is ~$140 brand new with a mid-level iGPU and lower power consumption.

Has anyone done a CPU comparison between these two? I'm looking to downsize my system as I don't game much anymore. Any links?

All the more reason NOT to buy something. I don't see how you are going to do this and save money. Performance is more or less a side step, you may save a few watts but it will take decades for that to add up to anything. Unless by downsize you mean you are ok spending money to get the ITX form factor.

I guess I should clarify. By downsize I mean physically reduce the size of my machine.
Going the APU route lets me also drop a video card and takes me from this
ripley_case.jpg

to this
IMAG1380.jpg

I don't need any more performance than I already have so the APU makes a lot of sense for me. I just don't want a performance regression.
That all said, I think I'm going to wait on kaveri just because it's around the corner.

I'd say that there is a good chance that you'd be satisfied by Richland, and even more so by Kaveri. The difference in size alone will be worth it. Oh, Anandtech's Bench site should be able to offer up a comparison of the two.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/675?vs=102

Last edited:
Back