phase changers and condensation

Abadon

n00b
ok so i like the whole idea about the phase changer deal for cooling my rig, but i haven't seen any units that can cool a dual gpu/cpu setup so was in consideration of building one, not only would it keep my system cool and also help me get practice in my field since i'm getting into HVAC but the major concern is condensation through block to cpu contact, will there be enough to cause problems or is there some type of solution to eliminate that problem

2nd question, would it be more efficient to refrigerate water and use water blocks to cool the processors

Building a mutliple loop using one compressor is nigh on impossible even given one of the most powerful danfoss available as a starting point, especially without all the right tools and equipment, knowing the regulations for said equipment in the country your in, coolant types, soldering techniques for compressor systems, vacuum techniques for filling, the list goes on and on, not to mention at least a passing understanding of thermodynamics and cooling system design. I hate to be the one to say this but if you have to ask in here then you probably need to go do a VERY thorough search before coming back and asking more "specific" questions, especially if your first question is condensation.

http://www.buckrogers25.com/peltierrig.html

That's my old pelt setup for some idea, no its not phase change but it is -10C, you'll be looking in the same direction when it comes to condensation, and you'll need more for phase change, such as the mini heaters used by vapochill and prometia to make sure you dont crack the socket when it hits -40C.

Chillers work, but they are very low efficiency, consider sub-ambient cooling instead by using underground radiators, again, dont ask needless questions on this one, if you dont know you need to search, it's all out there and you'll find more than one example on these forums.

If you have your heart set on building a setup that can do CPU + SLI/Crossfire GFX and you dont have the knowledge, dont even attempt it. Just buy three vapochills or prometias and read up on what others have done with theirs to do the same thing, then ask on "specifics".

Sorry if this reply sounds a bit "snappy" but the number of times this kind of question has been asked is.....too many.

it´s easier to build a cascade rig than to build a multiple evaporator setup!! cuz u have to build it from zero, that is calculations and more calculations of thermodynamics stuff. For the record there are systems that have multiple evaporators, i´ve seen some from LG they call that "multi-beam" which is one big condensation unit with several evaporators for air conditioning use

There absolute monsters though, and if your going that far and spending that much could find a second hand cryo cooler or an LN2 recompressor. I eventually gave up on standard phase change after i realised just how much the equipment to build it or even modify something like your talking about would cost here in the UK. Plans were for a dual loop setup cooling a secondary methanol mix loop for -20 to -25C temps, but in the end went with pelts which cost about 20% of what that build would have cost.

I've been waiting 2 years for a LN2 recompressor second hand to appear because the money i'd spend on that would pretty much be the same, and so would the amount of work, just seems a better option to me to get to the -150C point or further for the same money as -50C, the peltier setup was just a stop gap. Now on passive watercooling again which i will be until i've made a few modifictions before going back to pelts. A sustainable LN2 loops the goal, but it's a long way off for me at this point.

I've been waiting 2 years for a LN2 recompressor second hand to appear because the money i'd spend on that would pretty much be the same...
a LN2 recompressor !!! SWEEEEEET!!!!!!! :D

Where do i get one of those??!?!

Back