PGP Full-disk encryption compatibility issues

Blitzrommel

2[H]4U
We've started a huge project here -- we're implementing PGP on all of our laptops, about 600 or so which are deployed, and a few hundred more on the way (Our comapny, combined with the others here, have about 19,000 employees) We took 14 laptops and used them as test beds; it seems it doesn't work with Office 2000 products well at all.

Besides the horsepower needed (P4+), we're coming to the conclusion that an upgrade to Office 2003 is necessary. Is there anyone else whose company utilizes PGP whole-disk encryption, and are causing any sort of software-related woes?

Not to be fussy, but why are you implementing PGP Full disk encryption, everytime I've seen it tried there are allways conflicts, and in times where there is high I/O disk usage it can really bring a machine to it's knees.

Windows XP Pro has encryption built into NTFS, if you are worried about data being mined off the hard drive. Maybe not as effective as harder compression methods, but surely enough to make the effort involved in decryption unprofitable. You can use it on the "Document and Settings" folder to pretty much catch all the relevant disk areas. The key to success will be effective user/admin account passwords.
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/cipher.mspx?mfr=true

The only issue that I know of is that you need to turn off hibernation and encrypt the entire disk before turning hibernation back on, then it will encrypt on the fly. Also if there is a refresh on your facility, steps need to be taken to ensure the keys are exported to the new laptop for each individual data transfer.

Don't talk to me about why we're implementing it, I'm just the one responsible to know about it. :)

Blitzrommel said:
Don't talk to me about why we're implementing it, I'm just the one responsible to know about it. :)

Ahh alas, a manager with no decernable intelligence read a article on encryption and sent a order down for everything to be encrypted, without knowing the potential ramifications.

Well to help in your quest I have a licensed copy of Office 2003, I'll see if it works with PGP full disk encryption. May take me a day or two tho I'm a wee bit busy at work.

jnex26 said:
Well to help in your quest I have a licensed copy of Office 2003, I'll see if it works with PGP full disk encryption.
It works without a hitch. I've helped a couple hundred users install and use the software. Just make sure to remember your password and never delete a key!

Back