PG32UQX - ASUS 32" 4K 144 Hz HDR1400 G-Sync Ultimate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up a PG32UQX from Microcenter today, was down to $2200. Returned my LG 27" OLED, the text quality became too much. I game in a decently lit room, so I can definitely tell the difference in HDR quality between this monitor and my 55" C2 and also the LG 27" OLED. This is by far superior. Text quality is just pure bliss.

The one question I have - Can you customize what is displayed on the mini display at the bottom of the monitor? It's currently displaying the ROG logo and the text saying "Republic of Gamers".

Edit: Figured it out - have to use Armoury Crate.

Last edited:
Picked up a PG32UQX from Microcenter today, was down to $2200. Returned my LG 27" OLED, the text quality became too much. I game in a decently lit room, so I can definitely tell the difference in HDR quality between this monitor and my 55" C2 and also the LG 27" OLED. This is by far superior. Text quality is just pure bliss.

It would be a perfect monitor if the panel was faster. Motion clarity is far from great on this, unfortunately. I have the PG32UQX and the XG321UG, but I much prefer to play fast games (like Doom Eternal) on my AW3423DW (QD-OLED) and 45GR95QE (OLED) monitors. The much better motion clarity makes a large difference in the experience.

Last post about price. But Microcenter has 30 day price protection. For anyone who purchased this recently.

HDR doesn't matter for neither YCbCR/BT1866 gamma nor sRGB color space because HDR on PG32UQX uses ST2084 Gamma/EOTF + Rec.2020 color space.

Kramnelis, just a question...but uqx let you choose color space dci-p3 or bt2020 from menu, when you use hdr?

The one question I have - Can you customize what is displayed on the mini display at the bottom of the monitor? It's currently displaying the ROG logo and the text saying "Republic of Gamers".

Edit: Figured it out - have to use Armoury Crate.
Yea, AC is required. I actually love this feature, I use it for CPU, GPU temps as well as GPU frequency.

It would be a perfect monitor if the panel was faster. Motion clarity is far from great on this, unfortunately. I have the PG32UQX and the XG321UG, but I much prefer to play fast games (like Doom Eternal) on my AW3423DW (QD-OLED) and 45GR95QE (OLED) monitors. The much better motion clarity makes a large difference in the experience.
I agree that this is the one downside of the monitor. Honestly, it does not bother me much. I was testing the PG42UQ and had these two monitors side by side, the image quality made much more of a difference, IE overall brightness and HDR pop, then compared to the motion performance.

TBH, for the life of me I can't see the issues with motion on this monitor, and that's playing COD, BF2042 and FH5 all at 144 FPS/Hz... lol. Maybe it is because I have used IPS monitors since I dropped CRTs so i don't have a true frame of reference, but the colors and brightness on this thing give me the Image Quality and graphical goodies I absolutely love. It is by far the best looking monitor I have ever used and games absolutely pop! I am a "Max all the game settings and forget about it" type of gamer and this monitor allows those type of settings to truly shine.

TBH, for the life of me I can't see the issues with motion on this monitor, and that's playing COD, BF2042 and FH5 all at 144 FPS/Hz... lol. Maybe it is because I have used IPS monitors since I dropped CRTs so i don't have a true frame of reference, but the colors and brightness on this thing give me the Image Quality and graphical goodies I absolutely love. It is by far the best looking monitor I have ever used and games absolutely pop! I am a "Max all the game settings and forget about it" type of gamer and this monitor allows those type of settings to truly shine.

I used to think the same thing, but after playing on the QD-OLED (175Hz) and OLED (240Hz), I notice the motion clarity difference quite a bit when playing fast games.

I used to think the same thing, but after playing on the QD-OLED (175Hz) and OLED (240Hz), I notice the motion clarity difference quite a bit when playing fast games.
I could see how an OLED at 240hz is very noticeable compared to the PG32UQX, but for me personally, I care more about the image quality. At the moment, I doubt anything can touch a 32in 4k monitor with incredible HDR like the 32UQX. Makes me wonder what the true successor to this monitor is going to be.

I could see how an OLED at 240hz is very noticeable compared to the PG32UQX, but for me personally, I care more about the image quality. At the moment, I doubt anything can touch a 32in 4k monitor with incredible HDR like the 32UQX. Makes me wonder what the true successor to this monitor is going to be.
The image quality comparison is mixed. Higher resolution and higher peak brightness on the LCD, but better contrast and better motion clarity on the OLED. I like the LCD better for video and pictures, but I prefer the OLED for games.

HDR doesn't matter for neither YCbCR/BT1866 gamma nor sRGB color space because HDR on PG32UQX uses ST2084 Gamma/EOTF + Rec.2020 color space.

YCbCr444/BT1866 gamma + Wide Gamut Adobe RGB color space is the full color range for SDR. Set only RGB format in Nvidia Panel has less contrast compared to YCbCr.

You can download and install the official WHQL profile for PG32UQX from ASUS website. It has pre-calibrated SDR profile for the both sRGB, wide gamut Adobe RGB. Then you can disable DP/HDMI SDR YCbCr sRGB Gamma to use YCbCR444/BT1866 to have more contrast. Use wide gamut SDR to have more colors.

With these two plus 500+nits peak brightness you are basically seeing HDR400 in SDR without oversaturated color unlike most of the monitors out there with uncalibrated Adobe color overshoot to Rec.2020. Now you can know why this monitor is worth $3,000 because it can have accurate Adobe RGB profile pre-calibrated for you. If a monitor cannot be accurate in Adobe color space then it cannot be accurate in higher Rec.2020 color space in HDR.
Fantastic kramnelis , appreciate so much your tutorial for improve the PQ of this great monitor
I am following your instructions, and i want to assure that i am doing all right
i just installed the profile color from the asus official site, and now

When you say
you can disable DP/HDMI SDR YCbCr sRGB Gamma to use YCbCR444/BT1866 to have more contrast. Use wide gamut SDR to have more colors."
you mean from the panel settings, using the bottom switch of the monitor right? we have to disable both the options?
after that in the nvidia control panel i guess i have to select YCbCR444 limited range? cause it is as default in RGB full range

Thanks again for your support and effort

you mean from the panel settings, using the bottom switch of the monitor right? we have to disable both the options?
after that in the nvidia control panel i guess i have to select YCbCR444 limited range? cause it is as default in RGB full range
Correct. This is how BT1886 gamma is enabled. It has higher contrast of both deeper black and higher brightness.

When there is a HDR movie released the B.1886 + wider gamut always sit much closer to the HDR version. It's how the expanded dynamic range works from sRGB (Rec. 709, 2.2) 80nits to Rec.2020, ST.2084 , 1000nits. With this monitor you can even grade every level of HDR1000 footages without problems.

52805875376_44864cafd9_o_d.png

LG C9 with only 2% 300nits in SDR? Get obliterated.

We are talking about making SDR to the level of HDR400.
There's no obliterating when C9 and CX outperformed PG27UQ and PG32UQX in accuracy, contrast, and photorealism. FALD Mini-LED LCDs cannot complete against OLEDs aside from Brightness and Burn-in/Screen degradation period.

LCDs are fading away, OLEDs are rising day by day.

There's no obliterating when C9 and CX outperformed PG27UQ and PG32UQX in accuracy, contrast, and photorealism. FALD Mini-LED LCDs cannot complete against OLEDs aside from Brightness and Burn-in/Screen degradation period.

LCDs are fading away, OLEDs are rising day by day.
You talk like you don't see accuracy but imagine it.

It's always PG27UQ and PG32UQX far ahead of C9, CX, C2 or whatever OLED in terms of accuracy due to correct and sustained brightness and wider coverage of Rec.2020

Any OLED gets obliterated by FALD mini-LED like PG32UQX. They are not even at the same tier.

821896_52742302083_afcb7743d4_k_d.jpg

It's always PG27UQ and PG32UQX far ahead of C9, CX, C2 or whatever OLED in terms of accuracy due to correct and sustained brightness and wider coverage of Rec.2020

There is no all-around winner between the two technologies. OLED does have the advantages of better contrast and better motion clarity (relevant to games). In most other aspects, it is inferior.

Reactions: Hypez
like this
There is no all-around winner between the two technologies. OLED does have the advantages of better contrast and better motion clarity (relevant to games). In most other aspects, it is inferior.
I've said many times there is no perfect monitor. That's why I use multiple monitors for the best images and the fastest gameplay. They are either 4K 144Hz mini-LED or 240Hz/360Hz IPS/TN but not OLED.

OLED doesn't have better contrast without brightness. It might have a little contrast in sRGB 80nits but mini-LED can look 99% the same not even mentioning only mini-LED can boost SDR close to HDR400 with far more contrast. Mini-LED has the actual HDR where OLED cannot even reach. Then OLED flickers enough so you have eyestrain at mere 200nits. It's not that fast either.

Last edited:
pg32uqx is oled-like colors with much better brightness, its been out for two years and is still top dog, damn

Is there a difference between HDMI and DisplayPort? Are they identical or is there a benefit to using one over the other?

Is there a difference between HDMI and DisplayPort? Are they identical or is there a benefit to using one over the other?
If you can, use DP1.4 with DSC, you will get full RGB 444 @ 12bit color, 144Hz. HDMI on this is the older version (2.0) and you are limited to 4K 120Hz in that mode of use.

I've said many times there is no perfect monitor. That's why I use multiple monitors for the best images and the fastest gameplay. They are either 4K 144Hz mini-LED or 240Hz/360Hz IPS/TN but not OLED.

I don't have 240/360Hz LCDs, so I don't know how good the motion clarity is on those. I do know that the motion clarity is much better on my 240Hz OLED and 175Hz QD-OLED than on my 144Hz PG32UQX LCD. The difference is so noticeable that I stopped playing fast games completely on the PG32UQX and XG321UG. It's not just the higher frame rates on the OLEDs - the motion clarity is better on the OLEDs even when I run them all at 120Hz.

Like others have voiced above, I would argue the advantage of “better contrast” that OLEDs have claim is even a mute point now compared to mini-LED. The black levels of a proper mini-LED is basically pure black. It looks like the screen is off in the areas where it should show pure black. Also OLEDs seem to have poor near-black definition as mentioned above.

As far as I can see the only advantage OLED has now is per-pixel LD so as to avoid blooming AND faster response times. I had AW-OLED and had to return it because overall it was an inferior product to XG or 32UQX. Granted, the latter is twice it’s price.

The future is mini-LED which will get smaller and smaller and finally micro-LED. OLED will be killed/put to pasture in 5 years by all major manufacturers.

Last edited:
Like others have voiced above, I would argue the advantage of “better contrast” that OLEDs have claim is even a mute point now compared to mini-LED. The black levels of a proper mini-LED is basically pure black. It looks like the screen is off in the areas where it should show pure black. Also OLEDs seem to have poor near-black definition as mentioned above.

As far as I can see the only advantage OLED has now is per-pixel LD so as to avoid blooming AND faster response times. I had AW-OLED and had to return it because overall it was an inferior product to XG or 32UQX. Granted, the latter is twice it’s price.

The future is mini-LED which will get smaller and smaller and finally micro-LED. OLED will be killed/put to pasture in 5 years by all major manufacturers.

Maybe, but we're certainly not there at this time. Also, the better motion clarity on the OLEDs is a big deal if you game.

OLEDs are now omni-present, from toothbrushes, to smartphones, monitors and TVs. The technology is getting constantly improved, people are excited about it and, most importantly, they are selling like hotcakes.
At the same time, mini-LED is a niche and extremely expensive technology which is going nowhere fast. The aforementioned ASUS PG32UQX is hard to find and costs from $4000 - $5000 here in a western Europe and newest FALD models like Acer X32FP actually went down from 1k zones to just 500, while still being priced very high, over vast majority of OLEDs.

So, ff anything, it's the mini-LED which will die out in next 5 years, being eventually replaced by also extremely expensive, but superior micro-LED as a niche product. Even Apple is planning to switch from their very nice FALDs to OLEDs. The writing is on the wall...

pg32uqx is oled-like colors with much better brightness, its been out for two years and is still top dog, damn
OLEDs are now omni-present, from toothbrushes, to smartphones, monitors and TVs. The technology is getting constantly improved, people are excited about it and, most importantly, they are selling like hotcakes.
At the same time, mini-LED is a niche and extremely expensive technology which is going nowhere fast. The aforementioned ASUS PG32UQX is hard to find and costs from $4000 - $5000 here in a western Europe and newest FALD models like Acer X32FP actually went down from 1k zones to just 500, while still being priced very high, over vast majority of OLEDs.

So, ff anything, it's the mini-LED which will die out in next 5 years, being eventually replaced by also extremely expensive, but superior micro-LED as a niche product. Even Apple is planning to switch from their very nice FALDs to OLEDs. The writing is on the wall...
I hope that does not happen. Honestly, for PC OLED just does not make sense. Burn in is real, and hardly any manufacturer wants to warranty you for panel burn in. Even if OLEDs can reach the same level of brightness, they will always have a limited lifespan that is probably going to be shorter then a mini led or lcd display.

I hope that does not happen. Honestly, for PC OLED just does not make sense. Burn in is real, and hardly any manufacturer wants to warranty you for panel burn in. Even if OLEDs can reach the same level of brightness, they will always have a limited lifespan that is probably going to be shorter then a mini led or lcd display.

It's funny how some people claim that either OLED or MiniLED is going to die off in 5 years. Sorry but NEITHER is going away any time soon, both technologies are here to stay for the long run so just pick whatever it is you enjoy more and use it.

It might not make sense right now, just for productivity, but even that is going to change in time. We already have a massive amount of smartphones with high-res OLEDs and very little burn-in reported. Besides, you might also get a FALD with a dead pixel or two, which is sometimes not enough for a return.

I personally prefer FALD IPS, since I am a mixed user, but it would be absurd to pay $4000 to get the now "ancient" ASUS mini-LED, since I could buy almost 4 OLEDs for that, making a potential burn-in issue irrelevant. I am frustrated, that I can't even find good 27" FALD like Coolermaster Tempest on sale right now. The latest FALD monitor I have access to is Acer X32 FP, which has just 500 zones, is almost the price of 2 OLEDs, and is so clunky you have to fiddle around OSD and enable 4(!) options, in order to game with local dimming in HDR. So, the sad reality is simply that FALDs are unfortunately going nowhere for a while now...

It might not make sense right now, just for productivity, but even that is going to change in time. We already have a massive amount of smartphones with high-res OLEDs and very little burn-in reported. Besides, you might also get a FALD with a dead pixel or two, which is sometimes not enough for a return.

I personally prefer FALD IPS, since I am a mixed user, but it would be absurd to pay $4000 to get the now "ancient" ASUS mini-LED, since I could buy almost 4 OLEDs for that, making a potential burn-in issue irrelevant. I am frustrated, that I can't even find good 27" FALD like Coolermaster Tempest on sale right now. The latest FALD monitor I have access to is Acer X32 FP, which has just 500 zones, is almost the price of 2 OLEDs, and is so clunky you have to fiddle around OSD and enable 4(!) options, in order to game with local dimming in HDR. So, the sad reality is simply that FALDs are unfortunately going nowhere for a while now...
4k? What monitor are you talking about the proart? I agree, I wouldn't pay that either, but the PG32UQX can be had for 2200 brand new and even cheaper used.

4k? What monitor are you talking about the proart? I agree, I wouldn't pay that either, but the PG32UQX can be had for 2200 brand new and even cheaper used.
No, I am talking about Asus PG32UQX. It's not being sold at any major retailer in Germany and around, and if you can find it somewhere, it's between $4000 and $5000. It isn't even worth $2200 at this point, so it doesn't matter really. It might not even exist for all intents and purposes.
The Acer Predator X32 FP showed up in some shops recently, but it's like $1700, which I also don't get since it's just 500 FALD zones and it's also actually a year old monitor.
Maybe the Chinese can save the day with Innocn, if they ever show up in Europe, but I am not holding my breath.

No, I am talking about Asus PG32UQX. It's not being sold at any major retailer in Germany and around, and if you can find it somewhere, it's between $4000 and $5000. It isn't even worth $2200 at this point, so it doesn't matter really. It might not even exist for all intents and purposes.
The Acer Predator X32 FP showed up in some shops recently, but it's like $1700, which I also don't get since it's just 500 FALD zones and it's also actually a year old monitor.
Maybe the Chinese can save the day with Innocn, if they ever show up in Europe, but I am not holding my breath.
Yea, worth is def subjective. Absolut worth it to me, even at the launch price.

Yea, worth is def subjective. Absolut worth it to me, even at the launch price.
Too true. I was happy with it at $2400... just like some people would say it's not worth $1700 for a video card, for me, it is if it gets me no compromise gaming. This gives me absolutely amazing image quality and really makes games pop for me.

In any case, there needs to be an affordable $1500 max, faster version of this Asus, without GSync Ultimate which is dead anyway, and with modern connectivity options like USB-C and HDMI 2.1.
Otherwise this tech will get trampled by OLEDs.

In any case, there needs to be an affordable $1500 max, faster version of this Asus, without GSync Ultimate which is dead anyway, and with modern connectivity options like USB-C and HDMI 2.1.
Otherwise this tech will get trampled by OLEDs.
I do not agree honestly, but I am curios to see what the successor to the PG32UQX will be like. I think brightness and color should stay exactly where it is, we just need a nice improvement to panel response times and refresh rate.

For all you "measurerbrators" out there calibrate with a colorimeter and run this video to bring your expectations down to reality. This is state of the art professional Red cinema 8K telecine and 100K optics.

So is there a consensus on the best settings for this monitor?

I have mine in sRGB mode, overdrive on "normal", dark boost is off, variable backlight is on level 3. This is with HDR on.

When is Asus releasing a updated model with hdmi 2.1 and a faster panel.

That would be the perfect screen
First, a panel manufacturer would need to offer a faster panel that can support the high brightness capabilites of this monitor, which hasn't happened as far as I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back