PG32UQX - ASUS 32" 4K 144 Hz HDR1400 G-Sync Ultimate

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is nothing "subjective" about a flat display being better if you're doing any kind of work on your monitor.

That seem a complete misunderstanding of the word. There is pro AVID users that love them no ?

ETNmBVbXYAEPnA2.jpg

HDR in the form of an FALD backlight. HDR gaming is the main selling point of the PG32UQX, and IMO, is one of the biggest upgrades any gamer can make when it comes to pure eye candy and immersion.
The Alienware QD-OLED has HDR as well... Low peak brightness, but also zero bloom.

To say either display is definitively "better" than the other is downright ridiculous. Both have many "features" that different people will have very polarizing opinions on.

So it is better in 1 way then and not many lol. I mean sure if all you value is HDR brightness and are willing to sacrafice every other metric for that then ok. Some of us prefer a more balanced display.
The Alienware QD-OLED has HDR as well... Low peak brightness, but also zero bloom.

To say either display is definitively "better" than the other is downright ridiculous. Both have many "features" that different people will have very polarizing opinions on.
I agree. Actually the OD-OLED is going to be really interesting. I hope that any sort of burn in can be mitigated as it is the only real downfall I see of that product. Well that and the 1440p resolution. After being spoiled by the PPI of 4k, its hard to go back. IMO 1000 nits is perfect and really should offer an amazing HDR experience.

I could have sworn it was 1000. At 400, it won't even be an HDR experience, regardless of the panel.
Display HDR TrueBlack 400. Which means 400 nits for fullscreen white. 10% and less area peaks can go higher and likely hit 1000 nits.

It will likely be a fairly typical OLED HDR with less color dillution at high brightness compared to LG's WRGB. Which is to say that it will probably be better than like 99.9% of currently available PC "HDR" monitors but will be a bit dim in comparison to miniLED TVs and 32UQX.

They are saying 1000 nits at 3% for the QD-OLED monitor. Additionally, one of the main advantages it has over wRGB is that it can achieve higher color brightness (even if the wRGB can get higher peak for white), so it will probably offer a better HDR experience than the LG OLED TV's... it might even better than the PG32UQX for HDR since it can achieve perfect blacks with supposedly decent brightness.

Display HDR TrueBlack 400. Which means 400 nits for fullscreen white. 10% and less area peaks can go higher and likely hit 1000 nits.

It will likely be a fairly typical OLED HDR with less color dillution at high brightness compared to LG's WRGB. Which is to say that it will probably be better than like 99.9% of currently available PC "HDR" monitors but will be a bit dim in comparison to miniLED TVs and 32UQX.
I would say a huge difference considering the PG32UQX has been tested to be around 1200 nits at Full Screen and around 1600 at 10 percent. But with those OLED blacks, it will be a very interesting panel.
They are saying 1000 nits at 3% for the QD-OLED monitor. Additionally, one of the main advantages it has over wRGB is that it can achieve higher color brightness (even if the wRGB can get higher peak for white), so it will probably offer a better HDR experience than the LG OLED TV's... it might even better than the PG32UQX for HDR since it can achieve perfect blacks with supposedly decent brightness.
I am very intrigued by this monitor. Should be a big step in the right direction for PC gamers.

FWIW, I think the PG32UQX's brightness is overkill for HDR in a dark room... 1000 nits for highlights (if it can achieve it) should be more than enough. However, if you're gaming in a relatively bright room the UQX is obviously the better alternative, and the higher PPI is also nice.

shinotenshi how do you like it?
ok, finallu unboxed, i was waiting for my ddr5. this monitor is apart of a new pc build. comparing it to my acer. it's so much better, i can see the difference immediately, it's very similar to my oled TV but seems a bit sharper and crisper. the hum is very low on the fan heat sink. I would have move very close to the monitor to hear it. it's better than i thought it was going to be. I also like the blacks and the overall richness of the colors. it's also surprisingly light. i am using the display port/ my video card is a GTX3090 with 12900KF.

After installing win 11 and the auto HDR. this monitor is totally worth it.

Last edited:
I can confirm that the PG32UQX will support 3840 x 2160 @ 144Hz with 12-bit color and HDR enabled. You need to have a 3000 series Nvidia card (has DP 1.4 ports) to support the DSC 1.2 compression. I have a 3080 (screenshot), 3080Ti, and 3090; these settings work on all three cards with no issues.
this is also what i am running

The Viewsonic equivalent, XG321U, is available to order at a bunch of places now.

Newegg

B&H Photo Video

$2,500 and similar specs as the PG32UQX with two interesting differences. The Viewsonic has Nvidia Reflex and it claims a response time of 3ms. Normally I wouldn't put too much stock into the response time from a manufacturer but considering this is using the same panel as the Asus one, I'm curious if there is an improvement or if it's just the usual marketing spin.

Anyways, a $500 MSRP drop isn't bad and while it doesn't match the all-time low of $2,400 that Amazon sold the PG32UQX, it's nice to see prices coming down on high-end monitors.

Likely comes down to Viewsonic implementing a more aggressive overdrive "fastest" mode. Average G2G comes down but overshoot goes way up. In other words when it comes to usable pixel response without overshoot Asus/Viewsonic should be identical.

I wouldn't be too scared buying a PG32UQX used/open box. You can find them for $1600 or less. Saw one locally here in SoCal for $1400 and the guy was providing a invoice for it's warranty.

Edit: checked out the manual and ViewSonic has implemented a better firmware IMO. You can set FALD off individually for SDR or HDR, disable DSC and allow 120hz with chroma subsampling on the HDMI inputs for console.

Last edited:
Reactions: sethk
like this
PG32 has that.
Oh I must have not noticed when I had mine. Either way this thing is using a updated Gsync module with reflex (I/O layout is completely different) so maybe there are some benefits.

Hello new here, but long time lurker.

I have the 32UQX but am interested in exchanging for this new Viewsonic monitor since I’m still in 30-day period. This monitor seems to have some additional ergonomics such as changing to portrait mode as well as a few new features, such as the aforementioned nvidia latency. GtG only slightly better at 3.4ms. Of course the price is about $400 less than UQX listing on Amazon. I was looking at the AW OLED as well but 1440p widescreen is a dealbreaker for me for several reasons. Anyone have their hands on one yet that can vouch for it or compare to UQX? I’ve never owned a Viewsonic so not sure about their QC. Also curious if the FALD algorithm has improved to reduce blooming. Thanks

Hello new here, but long time lurker.

I have the 32UQX but am interested in exchanging for this new Viewsonic monitor since I’m still in 30-day period. This monitor seems to have some additional ergonomics such as changing to portrait mode as well as a few new features, such as the aforementioned nvidia latency. GtG only slightly better at 3.4ms. Of course the price is about $400 less than UQX listing on Amazon. I was looking at the AW OLED as well but 1440p widescreen is a dealbreaker for me for several reasons. Anyone have their hands on one yet that can vouch for it or compare to UQX? I’ve never owned a Viewsonic so not sure about their QC. Also curious if the FALD algorithm has improved to reduce blooming. Thanks
both have the same panel, reduce blooming=reduce highlight peak...so you can't have a win to win...if you prefer avoid bloom (only in specific cases) get a oled, but you lost the brightness hdr and other things like colour space, accurate colors (vs wrgb oled) etc... if you get a oled, take a look on 32ep950, because is a real rgb oled.

Guys,

Updated to the latest insider preview build on Win 11 and now can't turn HDR on in Windows. It's greyed out for me and I can't tell how to turn HDR on. Would appreciate any help with this.

wHtTijq.jpg

fGlatuM.jpg

Guys,

Updated to the latest insider preview build on Win 11 and now can't turn HDR on in Windows. It's greyed out for me and I can't tell how to turn HDR on. Would appreciate any help with this.

View attachment 466761

View attachment 466762
is windows recognizing your monitor? it was pretty much plug and play with mine. I'm going to assume the issue since it's greyed out, is that windows is not recognizing your monitor as being hdr capable.

Hi y'all

I read the whole thread, found it interesting and decided to join the forum. Thank you for letting me be a part of the community.

The ASUS PG32UQX is discussed with a lot of controversy and I'd like to ask you if you think that it is the right choice for my use cases.

Background:
I play mostly games like Star Citizen, CIV, Wargame, Mass Effect, DCS, and rather rarely shooters. So it's pretty mixed and I'd like to have a decent display for gaming.
I work as a photographer and I need a monitor that is also suitable for image processing. Adobe RGB is for me less important nowadays but DCI-P3 will be more important in the future and the ASUS is quite good covering it. Homogeneity is always important but it might be okay.
I think you know all some reviews:
TFT Central
PRAD (in DE)

Since 2011 I'm using the EIZO SX2762W (that was an incredible allrounder) for which I'm searching a successor for.
TFT Central
PRAD (in DE)

In the long run I will probably aim for a second devices (ASUS Pro Art or EIZO CG series) but for now I need a device that can cover both.

The price for the ASUS PG32UQX dropped a lot so I'm considering it as an option.

HDR is really nice but AFAIK it doesn't much sense below a certain standard and the ASUS is in the top tier.
BTW: I'm using a MacBook Pro 2021 that has an incredible XDR screen where I cannot notice any significant blooming (but it has more than twice the number of fields with less than a quarter of the size). And for Star Citizen I could switch to SDR.

I've seen that there are also some alternatives but very few.

Thank you!

I don't think it makes sense to buy this when the XG321UG is available for much less $.

I don't think it makes sense to buy this when the XG321UG is available for much less $.
That is the View Sonic and currently at ~3,000€ in Germany. The PG32UQX goes for ~2,700€ over the counter (and tomorrow it's Amazon Prime Day ;) )

Last edited:

Also, the Viewsonic doesn't have fan noise. On the other hand, the image quality on my Asus is better than on the Viewsonic, but maybe it's just because of individual unit variation.

That is the View Sonic and currently at ~3,000€ in Germany. The PG32UQX goes for ~2,700€ over the counter (and tomorrow it's Amazon Prime Day ;) )
Yeah over here the opposite is true. Viewsonic is $2499 and can be had for $1879 as an open box refurb. PG32UQX is still $2999.

Yeah over here the opposite is true. Viewsonic is $2499 and can be had for $1879 as an open box refurb. PG32UQX is still $2999.
Well that's a different situation.
I couldn't find any serious reviews for the ViewSonic. Though the panel should perform the same there's a lot of possibilities to screw something up with the implementation, so it's a (low) risk.

I was also considering the LG 32EP950 for a more subtle HDR experience for Star Citizen but the color homogeneity is so bad that I'd need another screen for image processing very soon.

Except the mediocre G2G the ASUS seems to be the best gaming screen currently available. I really feel that there is a gap on the market but I don't want to wait much longer.

Hi y'all

I read the whole thread, found it interesting and decided to join the forum. Thank you for letting me be a part of the community.

The ASUS PG32UQX is discussed with a lot of controversy and I'd like to ask you if you think that it is the right choice for my use cases.

Background:
I play mostly games like Star Citizen, CIV, Wargame, Mass Effect, DCS, and rather rarely shooters. So it's pretty mixed and I'd like to have a decent display for gaming.
I work as a photographer and I need a monitor that is also suitable for image processing. Adobe RGB is for me less important nowadays but DCI-P3 will be more important in the future and the ASUS is quite good covering it. Homogeneity is always important but it might be okay.
I think you know all some reviews:
TFT Central
PRAD (in DE)

Since 2011 I'm using the EIZO SX2762W (that was an incredible allrounder) for which I'm searching a successor for.
TFT Central
PRAD (in DE)

In the long run I will probably aim for a second devices (ASUS Pro Art or EIZO CG series) but for now I need a device that can cover both.

The price for the ASUS PG32UQX dropped a lot so I'm considering it as an option.

HDR is really nice but AFAIK it doesn't much sense below a certain standard and the ASUS is in the top tier.
BTW: I'm using a MacBook Pro 2021 that has an incredible XDR screen where I cannot notice any significant blooming (but it has more than twice the number of fields with less than a quarter of the size). And for Star Citizen I could switch to SDR.

I've seen that there are also some alternatives but very few.

Thank you!
Not many people can use the monitor right. It has Adobe color space by default. It is oversaturated in a way SDR looks better with YCbCr 444, even better than some other monitor's HDR.
The backlight miniLED can sustain brightness but it is deeply flawed so the monitor has worse blooming than PG27UQ. But high APL performance is unbeatable.

Not many people can use the monitor right. It has Adobe color space by default. It is oversaturated in a way SDR looks better with YCbCr 444, even better than some other monitor's HDR.
The backlight miniLED can sustain brightness but it is deeply flawed so the monitor has worse blooming than PG27UQ. But high APL performance is unbeatable.
Hi and thanks for your reply. I would use the monitor calibrated for Adobe RGB or DCI-P3 though working with ProPhoto Color space. For gaming I would simply switch to SDR + HDR and for Star Citizen SDR w/o HDR.
What do you mean by APL? I only know the very expressive programming language.

In case HDR wouldn't matter what display would you choose? Considering it needs to be suitable for professional image processing there is still not much choice.

Hi and thanks for your reply. I would use the monitor calibrated for Adobe RGB or DCI-P3 though working with ProPhoto Color space. For gaming I would simply switch to SDR + HDR and for Star Citizen SDR w/o HDR.
What do you mean by APL? I only know the very expressive programming language.

In case HDR wouldn't matter what display would you choose? Considering it needs to be suitable for professional image processing there is still not much choice.
APL means Average Picture Level. It's the brightness across the whole screen.
PG32UQX brightness in HDR won't drop like most monitors. It can easily sustain the brightness when an HDR scene has the APL from 300nits all the way up to 1200nits while most monitors drop brightness below 300nits in the same situation resulting in a dim, unrealistic, less impactful HDR performance.
ProPhoto requires a higher luminance level than Adobe RGB or sRGB too. PG32UQX is packed with a wide color gamut and high brightness. It can handle professional image processing.

But in the long run, you still need a professional monitor for photography. ASUS has an OLED PA32DC coming for SDR.

Last edited:
Sure you're not confusing most monitors with OLED TVs here?
The HDR monitors out there are not that many. Even the new Neo G8 is a not true HDR monitor in terms of brightness, not motioning it looks washed out.
Ture HDR monitors are only several FALD LCDs: PG27UQ/X27, PG35VQ/X35, PG32UQX, PRO XDR, etc.
HDR brightness.png

The HDR monitors out there are not that many. Even the new Neo G8 is a not true HDR monitor in terms of brightness, not motioning it looks washed out.
Ture HDR monitors are only several FALD LCDs: PG27UQ/X27, PG35VQ/X35, PG32UQX, PRO XDR, etc.
Oh thanks, I didn't know that. That makes me looking forward to gaming (except Star Citizen :D ).
APL means Average Picture Level. It's the brightness across the whole screen.
PG32UQX brightness in HDR won't drop like most monitors. It can easily sustain the brightness when an HDR scene has the APL from 300nits all the way up to 1200nits while most monitors drop brightness below 300nits in the same situation resulting in a dim, unrealistic, less impactful HDR performance.
ProPhoto requires a higher luminance level than Adobe RGB or sRGB too. PG32UQX is packed with a wide color gamut and high brightness. It can handle professional image processing.

But in the long run, you still need a professional monitor for photography. ASUS has an OLED PA32DC coming for SDR.

Thank you. I didn't know the abbreviation.
Yes, but anyhow ProFoto isn't covered by any existing screen afaik, so I think it'll be fine for now. Later I'll add another screen.

So I ordered the screen for around 2250€. I think that's a fait price and I'll let you know what my impression is. I'm a bit afraid of the fan noise. We'll see.
Thank you so far!

Oh thanks, I didn't know that. That makes me looking forward to gaming (except Star Citizen :D ).

Thank you. I didn't know the abbreviation.
Yes, but anyhow ProFoto isn't covered by any existing screen afaik, so I think it'll be fine for now. Later I'll add another screen.

So I ordered the screen for around 2250€. I think that's a fait price and I'll let you know what my impression is. I'm a bit afraid of the fan noise. We'll see.
Thank you so far!
Since you are in photography. You should be able to use the camera to capture footages close to what human eyes perceive unlike the previous photos/videos across the forum.
People down here don't know how to take photos properly. Most of them who own a low brightness OLED and PG27UQ/X27 at most don't even have PG32UQX at all. So they assume this monitor is trash because of starfield from the overexposed photos of their phones other than what it is to the eyes in reality. It is still the best HDR monitor right now.

Hello guys!. I bought the xg321ug and want to test it with HDR gaming. What game do you recommend to try it with HDR? I played red dead redemption 2, but the .HDR is very bad.

Hello guys!. I bought the xg321ug and want to test it with HDR gaming. What game do you recommend to try it with HDR? I played red dead redemption 2, but the .HDR is very bad.
I don't understand why people buy a HDR monitor without knowing how to use it. Or it is just another troll attempt to bash down the best HDR FALD LCDs that outperforms any other OLED or any other monitors not capable of true HDR.
Though RDR2 is not graded specifically for HDR, the game already gives HDR calibration for white points up to 500nits, and HDR brightness up to 10,000nits.
With white points 500nits and HDR brightness 1800nits. The game looks good without loosing details, better than any other monitors.

low exposure
52221333743_8ee107c52e_o_d.png

high exposure
52221585409_acca6cba47_o_d.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back