PG32UQX - ASUS 32" 4K 144 Hz HDR1400 G-Sync Ultimate

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do we get around this issue?
You don't. HDR API on Windows is a mess and games use it however they like. Some are able to toggle system level HDR from their settings, some don't, some use GPU vendors APIs instead.
There's at least Win+Alt+B shortcut now which toggles OS level HDR on/off so you don't have to go into settings all the time.

Honestly? I gave up.

Granted, this could be an entirely separate issue from what I've seen on Win10; I was kinda hoping Auto-HDR made the issue "go away". But my HDR experience has been so bad I gave up on it.

In your case, you'd need to try and figure out what is forcing the display back into SDR mode. Might be the same as me (some Windows element), or it might be something entirely different.
Sucks to hear so many have problems with HDR in windows. I wonder if a lot of it comes down to OS corruption. I have been using HDR with windows 10 and now 11 since 2018 and have not had a single issue. I upgrade yearly to the newest platform in which I do a fresh install, so maybe that has something to do with it. Not sure though.

Interesting. The issue is that certain games require HDR to be turned on in Windows - it won't automatically switch to HDR when the game loads. RDR2, FH5, SOTTR for instance need HDR to be turned on in Windows. How do we get around this issue?
Yes Baasha this is just a Windows 10/11 issue and not the fault of any monitor. Some games will automatically kick your monitor into HDR once loaded (if turned off), while other games don't. Before, I had to keep an Excel spreadsheet of all the games I played just to know which games I had to manually toggle HDR on in windows before loading the game. Sometimes HDR settings in-game won't even display unless the game launched with HDR in Windows already.

Windows 11 kind of makes this issue a bit easier since I now just leave HDR on 24/7. I also use the "Auto-HDR" setting which is definitely a good feature, and makes non-HDR games look a bit more HDR'ish, but of course won't be as good as a natural HDR game. I therefore just leave my HDR toggle on 24/7 because technically every single game is an "HDR" game now. You can also adjust the SDR brightness slider for stuff like your desktop that isn't in HDR so the brightness isn't blasting your eyeballs.

There's really no reason to leave HDR off anymore in a Windows 11 gaming environment (unless of course you get horrible blooming with FALD displays like this one...then maybe I can understand).

There's really no reason to leave HDR off anymore in a Windows 11 gaming environment (unless of course you get horrible blooming with FALD displays like this one...then maybe I can understand).
Windows 11 isn't any different from 10 in this besides the auto-HDR thingie. There are many reasons to leave HDR off in both of them - mainly the limitations which displays have in their respective HDR modes.

Anyone else with the PG32UQX bummed that Dying Light 2 has no HDR? Man, that was a disappointment as this game with all the RT enabled would have been perfect.

Anyone else with the PG32UQX bummed that Dying Light 2 has no HDR? Man, that was a disappointment as this game with all the RT enabled would have been perfect.

What about Windows 11 AutoHDR? It does wonders for Yakuza Like A Dragon, might do the same for Dying Light 2.

AutoHDR works only in DX11 which means that you're losing raytracing.

You sure? Rise of the Tomb Raider has AutoHDR and it's a DX12 game. But it does also have DX11. And I played Deus Ex Mankind Divided in DX12 with AutoHDR on.

Auto HDR works in DX12 games, just sucks it does not work in DL2.

I see, bummer. Although, if you were to crank all the RT effects on right now then the fps tanks a lot and the game is near unplayable at 4k even on an overclocked 3090 (I'm seeing people get 30-50fps) unless you use DLSS performance mode but then the game will look noticeably blurrier over native 4k. I would just wait for next gen gpus before playing and by then it might receive HDR support either officially or Windows 11 will add support for it.

It's not a lot when it's about the only other panel that is around with 1000 nits. Plus, any item sold by Dell anyone can get at least 10% off, so it's closer to $1150.

It's not a lot when it's about the only other panel that is around with 1000 nits. Plus, any item sold by Dell anyone can get at least 10% off, so it's closer to $1150.
How can you get 10% off? my understanding is that Alienware monitors are excluded from the email sign up offer.

It's DHDR TB 400. 1000 nits for small flashes only. It's also rumored to use pentile subpixels.
I think it's unlikely to hit those 1000 nits even for highlights in any usable mode (since those amounts tend to be overstated). However, it will demolish the Asus in terms of pixel response time, blacks, and price... it's possible that it might offer a better HDR experience given the amount of color brightness QD-OLED is supposed to achieve.

Last edited:
It's DHDR TB 400. 1000 nits for small flashes only. It's also rumored to use pentile subpixels.

No way it's using Pentile. It would look atrocious at that low of a resolution. Usually you can only get away with Pentile on very high resolution displays to mask shitty Pentile.

If it is Pentile, it's DOA.

How can you get 10% off? my understanding is that Alienware monitors are excluded from the email sign up offer.
I shouldn't say everyone, but if you work for any large corporation w/ Dell contracts or a federal employee you can easily get 10% off consumer coupons.

What was expected?
1300 USD for a 34" 3440x1440 UW is hardly "cheap".
It is in fact likely to be more than a 42" 4K LG C2 OLED TV.
I was expecting closer to $2000. Pleasantly surprised at $1300. I'd be even happier if it was under $1000.

That doesn't look like pentile to me. If it were we'd expect to see twice the green subpixels, but it looks like there's an even number of red, green, and blue.

HDTVTest said that the QD-OLED panels are true RGB subpixel which is another advantage they have over WRGB OLED from LG.

Ya that photo is not Pentile, this is Pentile:

iphone-diamond-subpixel.jpg

Which is highly likely to be better than these OLEDs in many ways.
But the main comparison here will be with 42" C2s of course.

Better in MANY ways? How so? Only thing I can think of that makes the PG32UQX better than the Alienware QD-OLED is peak brightness and PPI. Refresh rate is lower, response times are WAY worst, the Alienware won't have any blooming, both use RGB subpixel so no advantage there.

Better in MANY ways? How so? Only thing I can think of that makes the PG32UQX better than the Alienware QD-OLED is peak brightness and PPI. Refresh rate is lower, response times are WAY worst, the Alienware won't have any blooming, both use RGB subpixel so no advantage there.
HDR in the form of an FALD backlight. HDR gaming is the main selling point of the PG32UQX, and IMO, is one of the biggest upgrades any gamer can make when it comes to pure eye candy and immersion.

HDR in the form of an FALD backlight. HDR gaming is the main selling point of the PG32UQX, and IMO, is one of the biggest upgrades any gamer can make when it comes to pure eye candy and immersion.
TBH, moving to HDR was a larger upgrade to me for visuals than Ray Tracing or going from 2K to 4K by a long shot.

Only downside regarding the PG32UQX for me is I just can't seem to justify it as a worthy upgrade of the PG27UQ for the price. Honestly the PPI on the 27" version is freaking amazing... I can't see a pixel if I tried... lol.

The ability to use TRUE 10-Bit up to 120Hz is tempting, but I personally can't spot the difference in games using 10bit 422 (at 144Hz) vs. 10bit RGB444 (at 98Hz) when using HDR. It's obvious on the desktop, but I use 98Hz for desktop use.

So it is better in 1 way then and not many lol. I mean sure if all you value is HDR brightness and are willing to sacrafice every other metric for that then ok. Some of us prefer a more balanced display.

So it is better in 1 way then and not many lol. I mean sure if all you value is HDR brightness and are willing to sacrafice every other metric for that then ok. Some of us prefer a more balanced display.
Size, HDR, possibly better color space, variable OD, actual 4K resolution. Enough for you?

Size, HDR, possibly better color space, variable OD, actual 4K resolution. Enough for you?

Size is subjective, not objectively better. Possibly better color space but you don't even know that for sure. Variable OD? Are you serious? The Alienware also has a Gsync module and being OLED it won't even NEED overdrive PERIOD. Actual 4k resolution? Maybe.

Ever heard about near black flickering on LG OLEDs?

Dude...I wasn't talking about the LG OLEDs lmao. I was talking about the PG32UQX vs Alienware QD-OLED. Anyways I'm not here to convince you specificially that the 32UQX isn't MANY ways better than the Alienware as you already made up your mind about a monitor that isn't even out yet. I'm just throwing my 2 cents for anyone else who happens to come across this forum.

Reactions: Hypez
like this
Dude...I wasn't talking about the LG OLEDs lmao. I was talking about the PG32UQX vs Alienware QD-OLED. Anyways I'm not here to convince you specificially that the 32UQX isn't MANY ways better than the Alienware as you already made up your mind about a monitor that isn't even out yet. I'm just throwing my 2 cents for anyone else who happens to come across this forum.
It's you who already made up your mind about a monitor which isn't even out yet. I'm just pointing at things which may if fact be better on 32UQX, but you're not listening.

Here's another one for you - PG32UQX is flat.

It's you who already made up your mind about a monitor which isn't even out yet. I'm just pointing at things which may if fact be better on 32UQX, but you're not listening.

Here's another one for you - PG32UQX is flat.

You say that and then once again throw something that is completely subjective. Some people actually like curved displays. I don't like them myself but I'm not gonna go around saying flat is objectively better. All you've pointed out was either subjective things or pointless like variable OD against an OLED lmao. Carry on I already said what I needed to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back