PG32UQX - ASUS 32" 4K 144 Hz HDR1400 G-Sync Ultimate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got one of these for christmas. Does setting the dynamic backlight option to 1, 2, or 3 allow the dynamic activation of the mini-leds in SDR (enabling higher contrast) per min-led, or is it like other monitors where it's an overall screen dimming effect based on content?

I just got one of these for christmas. Does setting the dynamic backlight option to 1, 2, or 3 allow the dynamic activation of the mini-leds in SDR (enabling higher contrast) per min-led, or is it like other monitors where it's an overall screen dimming effect based on content?
Yes, it activates the FALD in SDR if you choose 1, 2, or 3. Personally, I would use 2 or 3 depending on the content/game. The "1" setting almost makes it as if the backlight is barely off. Some look better with 2 and others with 3, IMHO. You'll have to experiment to see what you prefer.

Yes, it activates the FALD in SDR if you choose 1, 2, or 3. Personally, I would use 2 or 3 depending on the content/game. The "1" setting almost makes it as if the backlight is barely off. Some look better with 2 and others with 3, IMHO. You'll have to experiment to see what you prefer.
Thanks!

They decreased the price to $2550 on Amazon.com, so I ended up getting it. Seems like the top monitors this year will be this one/viewsonic xg321ug, the Samsung QD OLED, and the Samsung Ultrawide 240hz miniled. Hope I didn't make a bad decision...

They decreased the price to $2550 on Amazon.com, so I ended up getting it. Seems like the top monitors this year will be this one/viewsonic xg321ug, the Samsung QD OLED, and the Samsung Ultrawide 240hz miniled. Hope I didn't make a bad decision...
Same here. I would look into the G8 but have a hard time believing in Samsung.

Last weekend I jumped on a Microcenter sale of the PG35VQ. Coming directly from a PG27UQ, the decrease in PPI was more than I expected. And I don't know what it is, but although the nit count is similar and the contrast better on the 35, I do not find the HDR to be as impactful in games.

I think the current UQX price is fair given the tech involved.

Same here. I would look into the G8 but have a hard time believing in Samsung.

Last weekend I jumped on a Microcenter sale of the PG35VQ. Coming directly from a PG27UQ, the decrease in PPI was more than I expected. And I don't know what it is, but although the nit count is similar and the contrast better on the 35, I do not find the HDR to be as impactful in games.

I think the current UQX price is fair given the tech involved.
I had a similar expierence when trying out the PG35 from my PG27. The PPI and perceivable Blur and black crush was something I could not stand. It was amazing how much clearer the 27inch model is.

The price on the 32UQX keeps going down... will probably hold off and see if it hits sub $2k at some point. I still love my PG27UQ, but if it ends up dying like some others have over the years, I'd probably snag the 32UQX next. The 27UQ (for a Computer monitor) was unmatched for so long and the quality of the picture + features is still great.

The price on the 32UQX keeps going down... will probably hold off and see if it hits sub $2k at some point. I still love my PG27UQ, but if it ends up dying like some others have over the years, I'd probably snag the 32UQX next. The 27UQ (for a Computer monitor) was unmatched for so long and the quality of the picture + features is still great.
I could see the 32uqx being 2k in the next few years.

Same. Mine arrived with 2 stuck red patches in the backlight. I use terminal windows a lot for work and they stand out against a black background, so it's a deal-breaker for me and I'm returning it.

Not sure if I'll roll the dice getting another since it seems like many other people have the same problem, and repacking/shipping monitors until I get a good one isn't my idea of a good time. Unless these splotches are caused by shipping damage (doubtful, since my box arrived in great shape), for a $2500-3000 product, QC seems severely lacking. They were clearly visible the moment I turned it on.

Sucks, because aside from the QC issues and over-the-top gamer aesthetic, this is a great monitor that checks a lot of boxes. I was using a 48CX on my desk and wanted something more reasonably sized and appropriate for mixed WFH/productivity + gaming. 32" at 4k is a nice pixel density, games play smoothly, it gets way brighter with less glare than my OLED, HDR looks phenomenal, and unless you're viewing firework or starfield demos all day, the blooming isn't a big deal IMO.

I could see the 32uqx being 2k in the next few years.
In all likelyhood, it will hit 2k by the end of this year (unless Asus for some reason just stops making it)...

There are alternatives now, including the Samsung 4K+240hz monitor that can hit 2000 nits and the Samsung/Alienware QD Oled monitor.

In all likelyhood, it will hit 2k by the end of this year (unless Asus for some reason just stops making it)...

There are alternatives now, including the Samsung 4K+240hz monitor that can hit 2000 nits and the Samsung/Alienware QD Oled monitor.
History shows us that Samsung is the king of false marketing. The G8 will not meaningfully hit anywhere near 2000 nits.

History shows us that Samsung is the king of false marketing. The G8 will not meaningfully hit anywhere near 2000 nits.
That is probably true, but even if it doesn't, it should also offer comparable brightness to the PG32UQX and have 240 hz, if the panel is similar to the G8's VA, it should also have considerably lower response times than the Asus. I personally don't like their curved monitors, but it will still be an alternative for consumers looking for a top of the line monitor, along with the QD Oled monitor.

Not a snowballs chance in hell we see this hit 2k in 2022, unless the PG32UQXE is somehow positioned as a superior product despite only having 576 dimming zones. Acer announced that the X32 (their PG32UQXE equivalent) will have an MSRP of $2,000.

That is probably true, but even if it doesn't, it should also offer comparable brightness to the PG32UQX and have 240 hz, if the panel is similar to the G8's VA, it should also have considerably lower response times than the Asus. I personally don't like their curved monitors, but it will still be an alternative for consumers looking for a top of the line monitor, along with the QD Oled monitor.
You make good points. It will be very bright and fast, that's for sure.

For the color settings of this monitor, should we use 10-bit or 12-bit w/ RGB or YCbCr444 ? Are there any benefits (for gaming) by using 12-bit? I'm using the DP connection FWIW.

Not a snowballs chance in hell we see this hit 2k in 2022, unless the PG32UQXE is somehow positioned as a superior product despite only having 576 dimming zones. Acer announced that the X32 (their PG32UQXE equivalent) will have an MSRP of $2,000.
The monitor is already down to $2.5k... they are not flying off the shelves, even at that price. I have no problem getting it for its current price, but as an upgrade from my PG27UQ for that price? Meh, not quite worth it yet knowing other options are coming out that will drop the price further.

So they have dropped it to $2550 in just 7 months after release, and you think it is *impossible* for it to drop to 2K in 12 months after a bunch of competitors release their new monitors + 2022 holiday discounts? I'd say it's more likely than not it gets to that price point. If not, it should be really close to it by end of year... Viewsonic's version of the monitor will start at $2500 and is also likely to drop by 2022 holidays.

So they have dropped it to $2550 in just 7 months after release, and you think it is *impossible* for it to drop to 2K in 12 months after a bunch of competitors release their new monitors + 2022 holiday discounts? I'd say it's more likely than not it gets to that price point. If not, it should be really close to it by end of year... Viewsonic's version of the monitor will start at $2500 and is also likely to drop by 2022 holidays.
I think MSRP is now officially $2899 brand new.

I think MSRP is now officially $2899 brand new.
This is irrelevant to the discussion. It's currently listed for $2,550 at the Asus Store on Amazon, nobody is going to pay $2900 when they can buy it for $2,550 brand new. Maybe next December they keep the "MSRP" at $3,000 but have it on sale for $2,000, that wouldn't mean that the price was really $3,000...

This is irrelevant to the discussion. It's currently listed for $2,550 at the Asus Store on Amazon, nobody is going to pay $2900 when they can buy it for $2,550 brand new. Maybe next December they keep the "MSRP" at $3,000 but have it on sale for $2,000, that wouldn't mean that the price was really $3,000...
Oh, wow. I had not realized it was on sale like that. Must not be selling as well as they hoped.

So you expect that it will be priced THE SAME or LOWER than the INFERIOR version of this monitor that they will be releasing Q3 2022. Which we know will retail for at least $2,000 at launch?

Actually, the price is now $2,399.99 on Amazon. But aside from not selling, I wonder if the price cut also has to do with Viewsonic's version of this monitor having an MSRP of $2,500.

Actually, the price is now $2,399.99 on Amazon. But aside from not selling, I wonder if the price cut also has to do with Viewsonic's version of this monitor having an MSRP of $2,500.
I'm sure the competition and Viewsonic pricing has a lot do with it has a lot to do with it.

Ha, holy shit! Thats starting to get somewhat reasonable. I have a MC nearby too and they price match amazon.... Hmmmmmmmmm.......

So you expect that it will be priced THE SAME or LOWER than the INFERIOR version of this monitor that they will be releasing Q3 2022. Which we know will retail for at least $2,000 at launch?
I definitely do not expect this monitor's price to be the same or lower than the inferior version. Either 1) the PG32UQX will be phased out (see my original message I made a caveat for this), or 2) The PG32UQXE will be sold for less than $2000 by end of year. Seems extremely unlikely the PG32UQX price won't decrease at least $400 from here until the end the year, if they keep selling it I would expect at least some additional discount by the time we get to the holidays.

I see it shot back up to $2899 on Amazon... no way that monitor is anywhere near worth that over the PG27UQ. I was trying to justify if yesterday when I saw it for $2399 still and almost snagged it, but after seeing the jump this morning, this is just going to be off my radar until they have a better solution at this point.

Last edited:
I doubt it. It just happened to be sold for new at the same price as refurbished?

I finally started using the monitor. My unit has no dead pixels or pressure points, however, I'm having the same issues described by Hypez and Hubba Bubba on Page 21, in which yellow reflections appear when a bright object is shown against a grey background (but not against black). This seems like a flaw in the dimming algorithm rather than the panel, so I am assuming it is present in all the units? would be nice if Asus could correct it via firmware update.

Guys - have a weird 'issue' on this monitor. When playing GTA V (only game I seem to be playing these days), I have HDR turned on in Windows (win 11 pro) and so "Auto HDR" message comes on when the game is loading and it looks great. However, after about 10 - 15 minutes of playing, the screen goes black for a couple of seconds and the monitor comes back with NO HDR (!!) - then after two more seconds, it goes black again and HDR is back on (with that HDR ON dialog box in Red). This seems to happen only when playing GTA V. I've played a few other games (RDR2, GoW etc.) and this doesn't happen (although my testing is not exhaustive) so what is causing this and what is the fix?

Auto HDR makes the image look 10x better (I'm running the QuantV graphics mod on GTA V) - I have HDR turned on in Windows because games like FH5 and RDR2 need it to be enabled in Windows and not in game.

Could this be a panel issue? I'm using a DP 1.4 cable that I've had for many years (not the one that came with the monitor) so could that be it? Since this isn't happening with other games, it doesn't make much sense tbh.

Please help!

EDIT: It seems to happen on the desktop as well - HDR turns off (screen goes black for a couple of seconds), washed-out image comes up (SDR) and then screen goes black again for a couple of seconds and HDR is back on. I have the latest drivers for the GPU and update for Win 11. Could the color profile in NVCP be causing this? I'm using the YCbxxxxx444 setting 10-bit.

Last edited:
Guys - have a weird 'issue' on this monitor. When playing GTA V (only game I seem to be playing these days), I have HDR turned on in Windows (win 11 pro) and so "Auto HDR" message comes on when the game is loading and it looks great. However, after about 10 - 15 minutes of playing, the screen goes black for a couple of seconds and the monitor comes back with NO HDR (!!) - then after two more seconds, it goes black again and HDR is back on (with that HDR ON dialog box in Red). This seems to happen only when playing GTA V. I've played a few other games (RDR2, GoW etc.) and this doesn't happen (although my testing is not exhaustive) so what is causing this and what is the fix?

Auto HDR makes the image look 10x better (I'm running the QuantV graphics mod on GTA V) - I have HDR turned on in Windows because games like FH5 and RDR2 need it to be enabled in Windows and not in game.

Could this be a panel issue? I'm using a DP 1.4 cable that I've had for many years (not the one that came with the monitor) so could that be it? Since this isn't happening with other games, it doesn't make much sense tbh.

Please help!

EDIT: It seems to happen on the desktop as well - HDR turns off (screen goes black for a couple of seconds), washed-out image comes up (SDR) and then screen goes black again for a couple of seconds and HDR is back on. I have the latest drivers for the GPU and update for Win 11. Could the color profile in NVCP be causing this? I'm using the YCbxxxxx444 setting 10-bit.
I've seen this on Windows 10. In my case, the issue is if any Windows Desktop element pops up (Volume bar, achievement, notification, party chat, etc.) everything drops back to SDR mode. It's the main reason I turned HDR off ages ago. Sounds like a similar problem; something is telling windows to go back into SDR mode.

I mean, who is watching other people play PC games on a computer monitor, which is distinctly a single player experience? It has to be an incredibly small amount of people.

Now I could see if we were talking about playing a console on a couch with a bunch of people, then yes I think viewing angles would be more important.

Wasn't there someone that bought both the PG32 and the Proart? From what I remember, they didn't find the head on blooming between the two any different. That would be the most important I think.

The PG32 does have a blooming problem. But it also does other things very well. Playing BF2042 on the new maps on my PG32 in HDR with graphics maxed is very impressive. It would be nice to get the blooming down to what my Q90A does, which is quite good.
Hey Vega, hopefully not too much of a tangent, but I'm really interested in this comparison (if it does indeed make sense to compare these). In your expertise, between the PG32 and a 50" QN90A, which might provide the better HDR gaming experience? I'm currently considering these models.

I've seen this on Windows 10. In my case, the issue is if any Windows Desktop element pops up (Volume bar, achievement, notification, party chat, etc.) everything drops back to SDR mode. It's the main reason I turned HDR off ages ago. Sounds like a similar problem; something is telling windows to go back into SDR mode.

Interesting. The issue is that certain games require HDR to be turned on in Windows - it won't automatically switch to HDR when the game loads. RDR2, FH5, SOTTR for instance need HDR to be turned on in Windows. How do we get around this issue?

Interesting. The issue is that certain games require HDR to be turned on in Windows - it won't automatically switch to HDR when the game loads. RDR2, FH5, SOTTR for instance need HDR to be turned on in Windows. How do we get around this issue?
Honestly? I gave up.

Granted, this could be an entirely separate issue from what I've seen on Win10; I was kinda hoping Auto-HDR made the issue "go away". But my HDR experience has been so bad I gave up on it.

In your case, you'd need to try and figure out what is forcing the display back into SDR mode. Might be the same as me (some Windows element), or it might be something entirely different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back