PG32UQX - ASUS 32" 4K 144 Hz HDR1400 G-Sync Ultimate

Status
Not open for further replies.
So do I (3090) but there are a few nice games like Ori and Touryst, Minecraft etc that take good advantage and look great at 4k120. Not a big deal for most as I said.
u can play them with 3090? :p
i know, but this monitors with gsync ultimate are pc-oriented ^^

I don't agree. I have 3080 ti and my fps great. I'm taking advantage of 120hz and flawless gsync easily. Also 4k DLSS looks far better than native 1440p and gives more fps. So even latest AAA games with punishing ray tracing benefits a lot from 120hz and the flawless gsync it brings. 60hz and no sync would bleed my eyes.

I don't agree. I have 3080 ti and my fps great. I'm taking advantage of 120hz and flawless gsync easily. Also 4k DLSS looks far better than native 1440p and gives more fps. So even latest AAA games with punishing ray tracing benefits a lot from 120hz and the flawless gsync it brings. 60hz and no sync would bleed my eyes.
console don't have 3080ti, so no 4k 120 XD

First post here/ I went out on a limb and bought a "Renewed" model on Amazon for 2700. The supplier is named "Azusa-IoT" I assume its ran by Asus from all the Asus products there also sell/sold. I have the 90 day Amazon backed guarantee and I bought a 4 year extended warranty as well. I'll duck after I say this, but my Asus PG27UQ bought in June 2018 is slowly dying by flickering and doing these random lines across the screen that eventually make the whole screen fade to black (only in windows, mysteriously and early on mostly when the monitor has just been powered on). I am unfortunately past the 3 year warranty and I have read horror stories of users trying to repair these things and being over 1200 to replace the panel. I did have a recent order pending for the PG32UQ but was concerned I would not like the Display600 compared to my Display1000 and I am hooked on windows in HDR not to mention the other differences. I simply loved this current model (PG27UQ) I have and there isn't anything else that excites me more than the PG32UQX. The display arrives this Friday. Been lurking on this post for quite some time ......any comments/suggestions please.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
First post here/ I went out on a limb and bought a "Renewed" model on Amazon for 2700. The supplier is named "Azusa-IoT" I assume its ran by Asus from all the Asus products there also sell/sold. I have the 90 day Amazon backed guarantee and I bought a 4 year extended warranty as well. I'll duck after I say this, but my Asus PG27UQ bought in June 2018 is slowly dying by flickering and doing these random lines across the screen that eventually make the whole screen fade to black (only in windows, mysteriously and early on mostly when the monitor has just been powered on). I am unfortunately past the 3 year warranty and I have read horror stories of users trying to repair these things and being over 1200 to replace the panel. I did have a recent order pending for the PG32UQ but was concerned I would not like the Display600 compared to my Display1000 and I am hooked on windows in HDR not to mention the other differences. I simply loved this current model (PG27UQ) I have and there isn't anything else that excites me more than the PG32UQX. The display arrives this Friday. Been lurking on this post for quite some time ......any comments/suggestions please.

I had the PG27UQ and mine also literally just died 100% after being a slow death spiral for a year. I agree it was the best monitor I have ever had. (and I have had a lot of them)

You did the right thing not getting a non-FALD monitor... going back to those after a few years with the PG27UQ would be hell.

Honestly, I think you made a mistake getting the renewed PG32UQX.... based on all the reports I have read on the PG32UQX, it sounds like a lot of bad ones went out in the first (and only?) batch that has shipped so far. I would return it ASAP at the FIRST SIGN of trouble no matter how small.... Don't count on ASUS to help you; their support and RMA process is complete trash.

I ended up going with the 32EP950 OLED to replace my PG27UQ, but honestly I would have waited and gone with no monitor for a few months to get a PG32UQX if it had HDMI 2.1.

As long as the PG32UQX you get has no defects, you probably made the right move. My only concern are the reports from some people saying it has a major bloom/halo problem compared to the PG27UQ.... and these are apparently not from people who are getting their first FALD monitor and didn't know what to expect, but people who have the PG27UQ as well.....

Assuming no bloom/halo issues, you basically can't go wrong and should simply have a better version of the PG27UQ....

I know a couple people who have been waiting for the 2nd batch to drop. Is literally been months since it’s been available so not sure what going on.

One resorted to eBay where they go as low as $2300 but I’m not comfortable buying any $2000+ display with no warranty.

I had the PG27UQ and mine also literally just died 100% after being a slow death spiral for a year. I agree it was the best monitor I have ever had. (and I have had a lot of them)

You did the right thing not getting a non-FALD monitor... going back to those after a few years with the PG27UQ would be hell.

Honestly, I think you made a mistake getting the renewed PG32UQX.... based on all the reports I have read on the PG32UQX, it sounds like a lot of bad ones went out in the first (and only?) batch that has shipped so far. I would return it ASAP at the FIRST SIGN of trouble no matter how small.... Don't count on ASUS to help you; their support and RMA process is complete trash.

I ended up going with the 32EP950 OLED to replace my PG27UQ, but honestly I would have waited and gone with no monitor for a few months to get a PG32UQX if it had HDMI 2.1.

As long as the PG32UQX you get has no defects, you probably made the right move. My only concern are the reports from some people saying it has a major bloom/halo problem compared to the PG27UQ.... and these are apparently not from people who are getting their first FALD monitor and didn't know what to expect, but people who have the PG27UQ as well.....

Assuming no bloom/halo issues, you basically can't go wrong and should simply have a better version of the PG27UQ....
Out of curiosity; how do these PG27UQs die? The fan on mine has been annoying for ages; but that is "fixable". What did you notice on it? Mine is 1.5 years old now... :(

I have to say that buying a renewed version may not be ideal, but I am hoping you get a perfect panel. I was one of the lucky buyers who did get a pristine panel, and I did upgrade from a PG27UQ. It was Def a big improvement in overall color, and HDR quality. Blooming is something that will be noticeable unfortunately, but I do not feel that it detracts from the expierence. I recommend running the monitor on Level 2 for the FALD setting and contrast set to 65 when using HDR. Colors are incredible out of the box on my unit so I did not adjust anything there, not even with an IcC profile. Be sure to check for dead pixels, make sure you have no Bleed or uniformity issues with FALD on, as black should be completely black and any light leakage could highlight poor assembly during the “renew” process. As a side note, viewing off angle on this panel does result in much stronger perceived blooming, in an almost magenta/purple hue. This is normal.

What I wonder is why don't they add an A-TW polarizer to these IPS displays. Wouldn't that mostly eliminate blooming?
Honestly, the panel should have had this. Take away the gimmicks like an oled panel, RGB and and integrated sound, probably could have charged the same price.

PA32UCG has this, but then they couldn't charge a $2000 premium over the PG32UQX
Im actually waiting for this to drop in price a bit. It’s a way better monitor (better FALD, gets a bit brighter, etc) and has basically the same input lag, no fan and HDMI 2.1.

Based on Tomshardwares uniformity measurements it seems like all the A+ panels go to the PA and PG gets whatever’s left.

Im actually waiting for this to drop in price a bit. It’s a way better monitor (better FALD, gets a bit brighter, etc) and has basically the same input lag, no fan and HDMI 2.1.

Based on Tomshardwares uniformity measurements it seems like all the A+ panels go to the PA and PG gets whatever’s left.
Is the only "major" difference the lack of a gsync chip?

yep can be plausible, are the same panel but the best one go on ucg

plus on ucg u have oco layer, but miss gsync chip

So I bought this monitor 2 weeks ago and it's basically perfect, aside from this horrible blooming which is extremely distracting.
I've sent some example videos to ASUS and they told me my device is defective.

Can someone tell me if you have the same experience? I adjusted the video a bit to make it look like what I experience in RL. Blooming is really like this.

Setting is Fald 2 with sRGB.

Last edited:
So I bought this monitor 2 weeks ago and it's basically perfect, aside from this horrible blooming which is extremely distracting.

Can someone tell me if you have the same experience? I adjusted the video a bit to make it look like what I experience in RL. Blooming is really like this.

Never listen to ASUS support. They are grossly incompetent. (Like basically all "support" at most companies is these days.)

Honestly, the blooming you are seeing is pretty good. This is just the nature of FALD monitors. You are looking at the worst case scenario for an FALD - small bright points of light against somewhat dark backgrounds. You will ALWAYS have bloom on FALD monitors in this situation. The bloom you are seeing is better than what I saw on my PG27UQ, which most PG27UQ users would consider acceptable and expected for an FALD monitor.

The ONLY monitor technology that currently exists that can handle small bright points of light against dark backgrounds perfectly is OLED. Honestly, if FALD bloom bothers you a lot (for some people it does), you may want to consider the 32EP950 OLED - but it will be a trade off between the refresh rate for no bloom/halo and less brightness.... but dark scenes will be the best you can get.

Setting is Fald 2 with sRGB.

I think ASUS service did not get the memo on their own monitor.
Your monitor is not defective, that is how FALD works on this monitor on these multiple-bright-spots-on-dark-background scenarios.
You either live with it as it is great outside those worse-case scenarios or you get another monitor.
You alone know what your tolerance is for this blooming.
In any case my advice is not to bother with RMAs and replacements and ignore ASUS' BS that your unit is defective.
You will just get another unit with the same issue or with more issues (dead pixels, pressure damage, etc.) but you will not get one that magically resolves the blooming that is for sure.

The miracle I hope occurs is that this thing gets a revision to include the layer that the PA32UCG has to minimize bloom.

Alright, thanks for the replies. I'll ask my store if they let me upgrade to the PA32UCG. G-Sync is missing but at least it has 120 Hz and there is a lot less blooming. Nevermind, just saw that there is blooming too. Video.

Last edited:
The miracle I hope occurs is that this thing gets a revision to include the layer that the PA32UCG has to minimize bloom.
lol, again... oco layer minimize bloom from ANGLE, i have tested both pa32ucx-k and pa32ucx-pk and on front side are the same, the difference are from angle...and asus advertising is all about this "5x more constrast and -80%bloom from ANGLE"

so no magic can you rid from bloom on fald atm without dimming bright points, only dual cell.....or oled with drawbacks

lol, again... oco layer minimize bloom from ANGLE, i have tested both pa32ucx-k and pa32ucx-pk and on front side are the same, the difference are from angle...and asus advertising is all about this "5x more constrast and -80%bloom from ANGLE"

so no magic can you rid from bloom on fald atm without dimming bright points, only dual cell.....or oled with drawbacks
This is a good note. I think I'll use the PG32 for a couple of years until something good comes up. This serves as a good lesson learned.
What about the PA32UCG?

Last edited:

.. or the upcoming 10k/1m zone microled backlights. The former's ~29x29 pixel dimming zones should largely fix haloing for anything but starfields, the 3x3 pixel zones in the latter should be able to make even stars look reasonable unless you're putting your eyeballs close enough to the screen to see individual pixels.

You can’t get rid of halos in challenging situations but the difference in FALD implementations with just different driving electronics and firmware is vast as we have seen in the TV space over the last few years particularly with Mini LED.

This is a good note. I think I'll use the PG32 for a couple of years until something good comes up. This serves as a good lesson learned.
What about the PA32UCG?
My approach exactly, at the moment it's the best you can find as a monitor but it comes with compromises you need to be able to live with.

My approach exactly, at the moment it's the best you can find as a monitor but it comes with compromises you need to be able to live with.
Same here. To me it is worth living with the blooming issues as this monitor has the best HDR implementation and color I have ever seen in a display. Hopefully the next generation will have much less blooming and faster G2G transitions.

Same here. To me it is worth living with the blooming issues as this monitor has the best HDR implementation and color I have ever seen in a display. Hopefully the next generation will have much less blooming and faster G2G transitions.
exaclty :)

Although i think VA like Samsung with ultra wide viewing angle qled is a good current alternative as it has less blooming than ips based fald without the color shift usually associated with va.

Although i think VA like Samsung with ultra wide viewing angle qled is a good current alternative as it has less blooming than ips based fald without the color shift usually associated with va.
Not usually but always

I need to amend my original post as I've been testing both displays and the difference in bloom is not as big of a difference as originally indicated by the photo I put up. Really, it seems that the reason blooming is reduced in certain scenarios between the ProArt vs the ROG is because Asus has tuned them differently. The picture I took originally was of the same Christmas Lights 4K HDR video paused to around the same scene. After testing this repeatedly, the reason the ProArt monitor shows less blooming is because the monitor actually reduces the brightness of the various zones until blooming is no longer visible. This is especially apparent when playing a video in a scene with a ton of blooming and then hitting pause. You actually see the blooming fade away, as the monitor is reducing the brightness over areas with small bright areas. But when restarting the video or resuming any motion, the blooming becomes visible once more. There also seems to be a size threshold, where if an item being displayed on screen is small enough, the ProArt monitor seems to be dialing back the brightness of the area so that blooming is not visible irrespective of what the brightness should. This is most apparent with the mouse cursor on a black background or in the following HDR video. The stars seem noticeably dimmer when playing on the ProArt. And when moving the mouse cursor from the ProArt to the ROG, the cursor gets noticeably brighter. So yeah, almost no blooming compared to the ROG in those scenarios but the brightness is also less.

It's actually interesting because in a way, the two monitors' tuning is kinda inverse to each other. If you thought the PG32UQX gets bright, the PA32UCG surpasses even that. I didn't sit there and measure it but according to Tom's Hardware and this Youtube video, the ProArt does not just hit peak brightness of ~1,800-1,900 nits, it can sustain that brightness in a full field white screen indefinitely (side note: ironic that Asus only advertises 1,600 nits peak brightness when it can do close to 2K while Samsung's Neo G9 advertises "HDR2000" and had trouble hitting that even in small windows; a FW supposedly fixes this now). Meanwhile, the PG32UQX can hit between ~1,700-1,800 nits but only hold it for a moment before dropping down to ~1,200 nits when displaying a full field white screen. On the other hand, in starfield scenarios, the PG32UQX maintains the same level of brightness whether still or in motion, whereas the PA32UCG will actively reduce brightness if the image is relatively static or the objects are small enough as to eliminate blooming.

The following video captures some of the other quirks of the dimming behavior on the ProArt monitor:

Review: ASUS PA32UCG display (4K Mini LED HDR at 120Hz)

You can skip to 11:50 in the video to see all the dimming quirks of this monitor. For example, if you go to this section, you can see how the alternating white and gray rows become indistinguishable in the Mac window as the window ends and the black background begins. And I think this is why the PA32UCG can appear to be better in certain scenarios vis a vis haloing.

And yes, I did update the ProArt firmware to the latest 205 available from Asus. I didn't test is extensively with the new FW but blooming behavior seems somewhat identical thus far.

Overall, in most scenarios, the ProArt and the ROG look pretty identical, with the difference that the ProArt can get significantly brighter and sustain it, which makes games like Horizon Zero Dawn, Doom Eternal or Forza Horizon 4 pop even more. It's these edge cases where the monitors differ signifcantly in their handling.

Last edited:

i have tried alot samsung tv, last was q95t was with only 120zones and with big halos, the new Neo are miniled with 576zones to 792zones on big model...but there are always the same problems, u can see maybe less bloom but for 2 reasons.
1 - The fald algorithm give priority to dark zone so him dim alot the brights spot, so this give a result with poor highlights spot, autobacklight on brights scene, volume color is much less
2 - backlight is with blue led, so you can't have good colours and of course you can always see the blooming (big bluish halos around).

va can be better for contrast vs ips without fald, but now with fald available isn't much reason to choice a va panel...atleast on monitor side.

ips have accurate colours, better response time and now with fald you can have a nice contrast too. so the best of the both techs

now we need only a much more zones or a dual led with a good response time.

i have tried alot samsung tv, last was q95t was with only 120zones and with big halos, the new Neo are miniled with 576zones to 792zones on big model...but there are always the same problems, u can see maybe less bloom but for 2 reasons.
1 - The fald algorithm give priority to dark zone so him dim alot the brights spot, so this give a result with poor highlights spot, autobacklight on brights scene, volume color is much less
2 - backlight is with blue led, so you can't have good colours and of course you can always see the blooming (big bluish halos around).

va can be better for contrast vs ips without fald, but now with fald available isn't much reason to choice a va panel...atleast on monitor side.

ips have accurate colours, better response time and now with fald you can have a nice contrast too. so the best of the both techs

now we need only a much more zones or a dual led with a good response time.

Well if you look at the QN85A vs QN90A, the QN85A has off axis glow independent of FALD which is what I’m complaining about, not blooming. Also can’t VA panel be color calibrated to look like IPS? I thought the problem with VA is off-axis color shift which means calibrating is always limited to a single viewing spot. The main advantage of samsung ultra wide viewing angle is you can calibrate the colors on VA panel to look more like IPS and there won’t be color shift off axis ruining the calibration.

Well if you look at the QN85A vs QN90A, the QN85A has off axis glow independent of FALD which is what I’m complaining about, not blooming. Also can’t VA panel be color calibrated to look like IPS? I thought the problem with VA is off-axis color shift which means calibrating is always limited to a single viewing spot. The main advantage of samsung ultra wide viewing angle is you can calibrate the colors on VA panel to look more like IPS and there won’t be color shift off axis ruining the calibration.
yep of course you can calibrate it and get nice results but lost yet more brightness when you want do get d65 temp, because this is the drawback of blue backlight. and again the main difference on colours va vs ips remain.
anyway we speaking about big tv panel...we have others drawbacks...like more smearing and more ghostings...to avoid this, tv limit the Fald potential inside the game.mode

for tv i prefer ips lg qned vs neo qled. but qned start from 65" and neo qled start from 50" so in this size samsung is the only choice

I need to amend my original post as I've been testing both displays and the difference in bloom is not as big of a difference as originally indicated by the photo I put up.
Thanks for the info. I wish that Asus at least gave us a firmware update with more granular control of the FALD so that it offered a mode similar to the PA that supresses blooming a bit. I'm sure it's possible but just a design choice on their part for it's intended use case.

The G9 Neo offers just that with the "high" settings being comparable to all 3 of Asus FALD modes. The other 2 Samsung settings restrict FALD a bit more to make it usable on the desktop.

Thanks for the info. I wish that Asus at least gave us a firmware update with more granular control of the FALD so that it offered a mode similar to the PA that supresses blooming a bit. I'm sure it's possible but just a design choice on their part for it's intended use case.

The G9 Neo offers just that with the "high" settings being comparable to all 3 of Asus FALD modes. The other 2 Samsung settings restrict FALD a bit more to make it usable on the desktop.

Don't count on firmware updates from ASUS. They basically don't do them for any monitors except their ProArt series.... all their other monitors (including the expensive ROG gaming monitors), are basically sold as is with zero updates. The PG27UQ got one update, and that was largely due to it being a zero day design flaw and pressure from Nvidia that was heavily marketing their involvement in the monitor engineering at the time and didn't want their reputation trashed.

Also, their firmware updates for the ProArt series are often trash. They already had to recall a firmware update for the PA32UCG due to breaking other things.

I need to amend my original post as I've been testing both displays and the difference in bloom is not as big of a difference as originally indicated by the photo I put up. Really, it seems that the reason blooming is reduced in certain scenarios between the ProArt vs the ROG is because Asus has tuned them differently. The picture I took originally was of the same Christmas Lights 4K HDR video paused to around the same scene. After testing this repeatedly, the reason the ProArt monitor shows less blooming is because the monitor actually reduces the brightness of the various zones until blooming is no longer visible. This is especially apparent when playing a video in a scene with a ton of blooming and then hitting pause. You actually see the blooming fade away, as the monitor is reducing the brightness over areas with small bright areas. But when restarting the video or resuming any motion, the blooming becomes visible once more. There also seems to be a size threshold, where if an item being displayed on screen is small enough, the ProArt monitor seems to be dialing back the brightness of the area so that blooming is not visible irrespective of what the brightness should. This is most apparent with the mouse cursor on a black background or in the following HDR video. The stars seem noticeably dimmer when playing on the ProArt. And when moving the mouse cursor from the ProArt to the ROG, the cursor gets noticeably brighter. So yeah, almost no blooming compared to the ROG in those scenarios but the brightness is also less.

It's actually interesting because in a way, the two monitors' tuning is kinda inverse to each other. If you thought the PG32UQX gets bright, the PA32UCG surpasses even that. I didn't sit there and measure it but according to Tom's Hardware and this Youtube video, the ProArt does not just hit peak brightness of ~1,800-1,900 nits, it can sustain that brightness in a full field white screen indefinitely (side note: ironic that Asus only advertises 1,600 nits peak brightness when it can do close to 2K while Samsung's Neo G9 advertises "HDR2000" and had trouble hitting that even in small windows; a FW supposedly fixes this now). Meanwhile, the PG32UQX can hit between ~1,700-1,800 nits but only hold it for a moment before dropping down to ~1,200 nits when displaying a full field white screen. On the other hand, in starfield scenarios, the PG32UQX maintains the same level of brightness whether still or in motion, whereas the PA32UCG will actively reduce brightness if the image is relatively static or the objects are small enough as to eliminate blooming.

The following video captures some of the other quirks of the dimming behavior on the ProArt monitor:

You can skip to 11:50 in the video to see all the dimming quirks of this monitor. For example, if you go to this section, you can see how the alternating white and gray rows become indistinguishable in the Mac window as the window ends and the black background begins. And I think this is why the PA32UCG can appear to be better in certain scenarios vis a vis haloing.

And yes, I did update the ProArt firmware to the latest 205 available from Asus. I didn't test is extensively with the new FW but blooming behavior seems somewhat identical thus far.

Overall, in most scenarios, the ProArt and the ROG look pretty identical, with the difference that the ProArt can get significantly brighter and sustain it, which makes games like Horizon Zero Dawn, Doom Eternal or Forza Horizon 4 pop even more. It's these edge cases where the monitors differ signifcantly in their handling.
Thanks for reporting all this, this is extremely useful for buyers considering a switch from the PG to the PA.

Thanks for the info!

Thanks for testing. Just to confirm you saw nothing with the OSD on screen at zero brightness with fald at 3??
I tested it on my screen too and I had those yellow stripes on the edges.
Can any of you who completed the RMA notice an improvement in regard to blooming?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back