PG32UQX - ASUS 32" 4K 144 Hz HDR1400 G-Sync Ultimate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Asus even added that small OLED screen
That is the most useless thing about the monitor from what I can tell. More of a detractor / distraction than useful. Needless and only serves to increase cost and complexity. They could dump that and make it slightly more affordable.

As far as the stuff you want - hdmi out & etc, those are more often TV features and not monitor features. I can see offering a pair speakers, but that's more of a nice to have than a need. My FI32U has purportedly good speakers and I don't use them. I game with headphones or my surround speakers.

Like I said, directional audio.

A proper speaker setup works great if you're sitting in front of it, if not then not as much.

I understand why the monitor doesn't have HDMI 2.1 (gsync module).

I understand why the monitor has bloom (hardware limitation with 1152 zones).

I do not understand why Asus can't include some decent or even cheap speakers.
On top of that, my only audio out is a single 3.5mm port.
It's just a terrible sound solution, I'm glad for you if it doesn't bother you, but it sucks.
Your usecase is very niche and very easily solved by any portable battery powered Bluetooth speaker, which will still sound better than built in speakers in displays.

HUB's review went live:

I agree with their findings. The PG32UQX hits that spot where it's not a fantastic gaming monitor due to response times, lack of HDMI 2.1 etc and might find more love for people looking for the best HDR experience in a desktop monitor. I expect that either it will be superceded by some newer panel in a year or two or its price will start slowly dropping.

I agree with their findings. The PG32UQX hits that spot where it's not a fantastic gaming monitor due to response times, lack of HDMI 2.1 etc and might find more love for people looking for the best HDR experience in a desktop monitor. I expect that either it will be superceded by some newer panel in a year or two or its price will start slowly dropping.

The PG32UQX is BEYOND AMAZING.....and the quality of the HDR on this thing is embarrassingly understated by reviewers. Games on the Aorus 4k144 32" are meh, while on the PG32 they are an EVENT lol.

I have to disagree. Although on paper the response times do seem very mediocre, I really don't notice any difference between the PG32UQX and the PG27UQ in this regard. The 27 is not really "fast" so to speak compared to modern high refresh IPS panels, but in real world gaming, I really don't notice any smearing or ghosting.

I still don't get all the hoopla about HDMI 2.1. I think very few people buying this monitor will use a console with it. A modern TV like a C1 OLED for half the price is way better for a console. This monitor is designed for PC gaming, which is does superbly.

I still don't get all the hoopla about HDMI 2.1. I think very few people buying this monitor will use a console with it. A modern TV like a C1 OLED for half the price is way better for a console. This monitor is designed for PC gaming, which is does superbly.
Well said.

That is the most useless thing about the monitor from what I can tell. More of a detractor / distraction than useful. Needless and only serves to increase cost and complexity. They could dump that and make it slightly more affordable.

As far as the stuff you want - hdmi out & etc, those are more often TV features and not monitor features. I can see offering a pair speakers, but that's more of a nice to have than a need. My FI32U has purportedly good speakers and I don't use them. I game with headphones or my surround speakers.
The alternate audio output options (optical or hdmi out) would have been preferable, but just including some basic speakers would have also been OK.

Either solution would have been sufficient for me, it's the fact Asus did not include either that annoys me.

Side note on the OLED screen.... it's actually a decent FPS counter, very niche/gimmicky but there's some utility so I don't HATE it.
Just annoying Asus added that and skimped so hard on audio.

Your usecase is very niche and very easily solved by any portable battery powered Bluetooth speaker, which will still sound better than built in speakers in displays.
I shouldn't need to come up with a bootleg solution for my $3k monitor.

To be 100% honest, in a $3k USD gaming monitor not only would I expect speakers, but I would expect some pretty dang good speakers.

That said, I would have been content with no speakers if Asus just offered better audio output options than a single 3.5mm out.

I see it more as an extra input option that is future proof. No matter which input you use on the display, it will deliver the full capabilities. Currently there's just a lot of displays on the market that are like "yeah you get everything with Displayport but if you need to use HDMI for any reason enjoy your 60 Hz refresh rate" type deals. HDMI 2.1 is not just for consoles. If you buy a screen this expensive I think most would want it to last a long time and having up to date ports that can do the job is part of that.

For example I've had the ol' ASUS PG278Q for something like 6-7 years and have lamented so many times that it only has a single DP input on it because that's all the first gen G-Sync module would support.

That said, I would have been content with no speakers if Asus just offered better audio output options than a single 3.5mm out.
Now that I can agree on. I don't think built in speakers are it but other audio output options would have been nice.

It's not like ASUS went out of their way to not include HDMI 2.1 The current G-Sync ultimate FPGA simply doesn't have it. That's an NVIDIA problem for all G-Sync chip monitors, not just this one. And DP 1.4 does the max the monitor is capable of, so don't see how "future proof" comes into play. DP isn't going anywhere. I'd much rather have the great variable overdrive of the G-Sync ultimate FPGA than an HDMI 2.1 port I'll never use.

As for no speakers on the monitor; finally they wised up and stop including token speakers that 99.9% of people don't use.

I see it more as an extra input option that is future proof. No matter which input you use on the display, it will deliver the full capabilities. Currently there's just a lot of displays on the market that are like "yeah you get everything with Displayport but if you need to use HDMI for any reason enjoy your 60 Hz refresh rate" type deals. HDMI 2.1 is not just for consoles. If you buy a screen this expensive I think most would want it to last a long time and having up to date ports that can do the job is part of that.

For example I've had the ol' ASUS PG278Q for something like 6-7 years and have lamented so many times that it only has a single DP input on it because that's all the first gen G-Sync module would support.

Now that I can agree on. I don't think built in speakers are it but other audio output options would have been nice.
Exactly, I can live with no speakers and good audio output options or I can live with good speakers and bad audio output options but having both no speakers and bad audio output options irks me.

HUB's review went live:

Lol wtf, typical VA panels have slow out of black transitions, or black smearing. This IPS monitor has really slow out of white transitions, white smearing? :ROFLMAO:

1625858144351.png

Lol wtf, typical VA panels have slow out of black transitions, or black smearing. This IPS monitor has really slow out of white transitions, white smearing? :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 373477
It looks worse in the data here then it does in real world use. Keep in mind that it still is within 70percent refresh compliance at 144hz. Not ideal, but not as bad as this may look.

This feels like a top of the line last year kind of product. which is not surprising given the pandemic and release schedules slipping massively. I think quite a lot of new tech is really just late 2020 tech re-bundled & sold today. Next year things "should" get cheaper and improve with fully featured options on the market, perhaps even with display port 2.0 faster refresh and better panels. The price of this should come down a lot within 6 - 8 months.. That is, if the economy doesn't take a nose dive, unfortunately i think it might do and this would stagger tech releases and keep prices hyper inflated all the way through to possibly 2023 or beyond.

If the global economy tanks then your going to see shortages & inflation again just like GPU's you might not even be able to pick one up.. for years.

Grab one now or risk waiting another few years.. ?

Last edited:
It's not like ASUS went out of their way to not include HDMI 2.1 The current G-Sync ultimate FPGA simply doesn't have it. That's an NVIDIA problem for all G-Sync chip monitors, not just this one. And DP 1.4 does the max the monitor is capable of, so don't see how "future proof" comes into play. DP isn't going anywhere. I'd much rather have the great variable overdrive of the G-Sync ultimate FPGA than an HDMI 2.1 port I'll never use.
Yes and Nvidia definitely should have upped their game. It would be fine with say dual Displayport but one DP and a bunch of HDMI 2.0 is kind of a worst option when only one of the ports can actually do 4K 144 Hz and the rest can do 4K 120 Hz 8-bit 4:2:0 SDR at best. It's just not a good setup for running multiple computers into it unless you don't care about the high refresh rate.

As for no speakers on the monitor; finally they wised up and stop including token speakers that 99.9% of people don't use.
How is not including any speakers and only offering a 3.5mm out wising up?

I dont understand, I simply do not understand at all.

How is not including any speakers and only offering a 3.5mm out wising up?

I dont understand, I simply do not understand at all.
If they past some of the rebate to the buyer (and the reduced weight-better form factor) and make more profit, most are happy to see an unused feature removed, most win (except the minuscule minority of people that spend giant amount of money on monitor run by extremely expensive video card that would not have either headset or speaker, that must extremely niche)

If they past some of the rebate to the buyer (and the reduced weight-better form factor) and make more profit, most are happy to see an unused feature removed, most win (except the minuscule minority of people that spend giant amount of money on monitor run by extremely expensive video card that would not have either headset or speaker, that must extremely niche)
Did they pass a rebate to the buyer?
The monitor is still $3k USD.
They still added a 2" OLED utility screen that I'm sure will see much less use than speakers.

But OK, I'll bite, let's say Asus was assuming 99.9% of people would use a dedicated speaker setup and never ever at any point ever would have any use for built in speakers.
So why is the only audio out port a single 3.5mm jack? Is this the year 2000?

If we had some crazy audio output solution where we had a optical out port, 2 or 3 3.5mm out ports, and maybe the ability to do USB audio out, then I wouldn't mind not having built in speakers.
In that case I could overlook it, but no, we have a single 3.5mm out and nothing else.

If this was a budget monitor or was business oriented (not Republic of Gamers) I could also overlook it.
Nope, this is one of the most expensive monitors Asus produces, definitely in their premium tier (not budget, not even mid-tier, but 100% definitely premium tier).

Anybody arguing Asus cut speakers to reduce the cost for consumers can't look at me with a straight face and say that when the monitor costs $3k USD and Asus found the budget to add that gimmicky OLED screen instead of slimming the bezels down and saving us maybe $100 USD.

If this was a budget monitor or was business oriented (not Republic of Gamers) I could also overlook it.

I feel like expensive bike come with no pedal often because everyone buying them already have their own (or will buy them), I feel a very expensive TV-monitor it is more natural to not have speaker than the mid range, because in the price range outside emergency it is virtually impossible someone would ever use integrated speaker, that kind of people are alreay all setup sound wise with their own receiver or usb DAC and so on, if they are no on a headset.

I feel like expensive bike come with no pedal often because everyone buying them already have their own (or will buy them), I feel a very expensive TV-monitor it is more natural to not have speaker than the mid range, because in the price range outside emergency it is virtually impossible someone would ever use integrated speaker, that kind of people are alreay all setup sound wise with their own receiver or usb DAC and so on, if they are no on a headset.
So why is the only audio output a single 3.5mm port?

A single 3.5mm audio out port has not been a good premium audio out solution for 20yrs.

Why not just include an optical out port?
Or a HDMI out port (and I can extract the audio)?
Or USB out with audio capabilities?

I would rather have $25 off than a monitor with speakers at any price point. Then you can take that $25 and put it towards some real speakers/headphones.

I would rather have $25 off than a monitor with speakers at any price point. Then you can take that $25 and put it towards some real speakers/headphones.
i think any speakers inside the monitors are like 1dollar budget XD

Can any of you guys and girls that have this monitor do a check for me please?

I've just had my third defective PG32UQX delivered and I’m about to give up on this thing.

If you disable the variable backlight and pull up a dark grey or black background, can you see what looks like a faint orange pressure mark around the size of a pencil eraser on the upper right quadrant of the panel?

All three of mine have had this issue in exactly the same place, with my first one having two additional points on the lower left.

For what it’s worth all three monitors were manufactured in April. At this point I’m actually starting to think that almost all of them have this issue.

Would someone be daring enough to check their monitor for me please? ;)

I've just had my third defective PG32UQX delivered and I’m about to give up on this thing.

If you disable the variable backlight and pull up a dark grey or black background, can you see what looks like a faint orange pressure mark around the size of a pencil eraser on the upper right quadrant of the panel?

All three of mine have had this issue in exactly the same place, with my first one having two additional points on the lower left.

For what it’s worth all three monitors were manufactured in April. At this point I’m actually starting to think that almost all of them have this issue.

I just went ahead and tested it. No issue at all on my screen. I am starting to think that these monitors are getting damaged in shipping to the buyers. I picked mine up from microcenter on launch day and have a flawless panel. Anyone else actually pick up their monitor and have no issue with it? Its crazy to think that such a high-end product could have so many defective models from the factory. I know for a fact that ASUS has a pretty extensive QC process on their products.

Mine also says April. I tested with FALD off, set brightness to 100%, used solid black and five different shades of grey to test. Mine is perfect, no orange pressure marks at the upper right quadrant or any other anomaly.

I got mine from the first batch at Microcenter.

My theory is that Microcenter got the first manufactured batch from ASUS. I'm not aware of anyone's MC PG32UQX having issues. Amazon must have gotten a later production batch (still manufactured in April) that had a problem during manufacture that quality control either didn't find or they thought it was acceptable to pass on to the consumer.

Just how noticeable is this orange splotch?

Mine is early Microcenter as well and zero issues. So glad I drove the 1022 miles to get this sucker now!

I just went ahead and tested it. No issue at all on my screen. I am starting to think that these monitors are getting damaged in shipping to the buyers. I picked mine up from microcenter on launch day and have a flawless panel. Anyone else actually pick up their monitor and have no issue with it? Its crazy to think that such a high-end product could have so many defective models from the factory. I know for a fact that ASUS has a pretty extensive QC process on their products.
Thank you that’s good to know. Shipping damage would be a good call but from my memory of the way it’s packed (face down) in the box, there isn’t anything that could come into contact with the panel.

Even if this thing was drop kicked having the same mark in the same place is highly unlikely.

Maybe this is happening at an earlier stage either in panel production or assembly into a monitor.

Mine also says April. I tested with FALD off, set brightness to 100%, used solid black and five different shades of grey to test. Mine is perfect, no orange pressure marks at the upper right quadrant or any other anomaly.

I got mine from the first batch at Microcenter.

My theory is that Microcenter got the first manufactured batch from ASUS. I'm not aware of anyone's MC PG32UQX having issues. Amazon must have gotten a later production batch (still manufactured in April) that had a problem during manufacture that quality control either didn't find or they thought it was acceptable to pass on to the consumer.

Just how noticeable is this orange splotch?
I believe you’re right and MC did get the first allotment, or at least they were on sale first.

Actually waywardcitizen bought his from MC and had this same issue.

Have a look at page 15 of this thread. In my first image you’ll see the orange mark that shows approximately how it looks in person. The second image is overexposed to show the problem.

So far I have ordered from Newegg, Amazon, Asus Store and now my fourth incoming at some point from B&H. After this I think I’m done.

Mine is early Microcenter as well and zero issues. So glad I drove the 1022 miles to get this sucker now!

Yes sir! I remember your comment from a few posts ago. You would have indeed been rocking back and forward in tears huddled in the corner if you had to make that return journey.

^^^Hang in until you get a good one....with the vega contrast tweek we are hitting over 2000 nits on this sucker and it BLOWS everything else away.

I have the Aorus 32"4k144 next to it and the HDR experience is not even close. The PG32 has literally reinvigorated my enjoyment in PC gaming.

^^^Hang in until you get a good one....with the vega contrast tweek we are hitting over 2000 nits on this sucker and it BLOWS everything else away.

I have the Aorus 32"4k144 next to it and the HDR experience is not even close. The PG32 has literally reinvigorated my enjoyment in PC gaming.
What is the Vega contrast tweak??

Most monitors include speakers, and this monitor is gamer oriented, why not throw in a good (or any) speaker system and if other people wanna use their own systems then they can?

This monitor costs $3k, way way more than most monitors on the market, it doesn't make any sense to not include a speaker system when most do.

Asus stands also suck (tripod) and mounts free up desk space so I'm sure I'm not the only person mounting it and moving it side to side.

It's not so much about whether or not you have your own good speakers as much as it is having directional audio.

I have pretty decent speakers, but I don't want to reorient my speakers every time I move my monitor side to side.
The last 3 monitors I've purchased didn't come with speakers.

Unfortunately, my monitor from MC does have the same spot/mark when FALD is on. It's pretty subtle and not really quite orange on my monitor which is why I think I missed it the first time. Outside of the return window as well so get to deal with Asus's warranty department. Fun times.

Wait, seriously? Is that 2K nits measured? I just saw the HUB review and they reported full screen flashes reaching close to 1,800 nits. Going to 2,000 nits is pretty nuts. I gotta try this.

I agree about the sentiment with this monitor. IMHO, I don't think there's been a more consequential upgrade I've done in last decade than this in terms of impact. Then again, I've been using monitors from 2006-2010.

Unfortunately, my monitor from MC does have the same spot/mark when FALD is on. It's pretty subtle and not really quite orange on my monitor which is why I think I missed it the first time. Outside of the return window as well so get to deal with Asus's warranty department. Fun times.

Wait, seriously? Is that 2K nits measured? I just saw the HUB review and they reported full screen flashes reaching close to 1,800 nits. Going to 2,000 nits is pretty nuts. I gotta try this.

I agree about the sentiment with this monitor. IMHO, I don't think there's been a more consequential upgrade I've done in last decade than this in terms of impact. Then again, I've been using monitors from 2006-2010.
Must have been a HUGE upgrade for you. Even was a pretty big upgrade for me coming from its smaller brother the 27UQ. Def sucks to hear about the issues with the panel. Dealing with ASUS support is def going to suck.

Man that was like 100 years ago when monitors ran on steam engines!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back