PG32UQX - ASUS 32" 4K 144 Hz HDR1400 G-Sync Ultimate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update: returned my first defective panel back to microcenter on Tuesday. Got my 2nd Pg32uqx today from Amazon. This one has a blown LED in the same spot as my last one and it also has a rectangular patch of red pixels in a matrix type pattern. Difficult to find the red pixels but impossible to unsee once spotted in game.

I’ve never been this pissed about an electronics purchase in my life. What a ridiculous hassle.

Wow, two bad $3K monitors in a row? That's crazy.

I've been lucky with monitors; I've had dozens and dozens In a row with zero defects.

Update: returned my first defective panel back to microcenter on Tuesday. Got my 2nd Pg32uqx today from Amazon. This one has a blown LED in the same spot as my last one and it also has a rectangular patch of red pixels in a matrix type pattern. Difficult to find the red pixels but impossible to unsee once spotted in game.

I’ve never been this pissed about an electronics purchase in my life. What a ridiculous hassle.
download (1).jpeg

I just played three straight hours of BF1 on the PG32, it looks so amazing. Night maps with guys using flame thrower, my eyebrows feel seared. :D

I used to be more of a "turn down the graphics to see enemies better" competitive type player. But now I'm older and turning up the graphics and HDR and sitting back and playing it's so much fun with all the eye candy. I have no regrets from switching from the 48CX for PC games.

Oh man two in a row. Amazon reviews say the same, and one guy on Reddit has been through 3 all with the same defect. I still haven't got mine from Amazon yet but willing to bet it will be exactly the same.

Looking at it more closely I think this is damage from pressure on the panel, not a manufacturing flaw. Probably happened at the factory during assembly, I've seen several where this damage is in the same spot.

It would be nice to think that you could help out a manufacturer in reporting such an obvious manufacturing flaw, but you'd be better off talking to a brick wall. The best way I guess is to keep returning.

Maybe best to wait a month or two and try again to see if they have realized what's been going on with these non-QC checked parts.

I just played three straight hours of BF1 on the PG32, it looks so amazing. Night maps with guys using flame thrower, my eyebrows feel seared. :D

I used to be more of a "turn down the graphics to see enemies better" competitive type player. But now I'm older and turning up the graphics and HDR and sitting back and playing it's so much fun with all the eye candy. I have no regrets from switching from the 48CX for PC games.

Hey thnx for impression. I also have the CX48 and now that this monitor is available in Australia for order I am really considering to replace my CX48.

But I really want to know if the there is any ghosting on it all?? I am very very sensitive to ghosting and overshoot, so if I pay such a premium for this display and I notice any of it I will be very unhappy.

This is why I really love my CX48, instant response is so amazing for me.

What are current PG32UQX users thoughts on that? Will I be dissapointed?

How else does it compare to the CX48? Colors, vibrancy, blacks etc.

Every LCD has some ghosting. And the PG32 isn't a fast panel. I think you would be disappointed.

Every LCD has some ghosting. And the PG32 isn't a fast panel. I think you would be disappointed.
Not every LCD has percievable ghosting.

I have the Aorus FI27Q-X, which uses a new SS-IPS panel, that has absolutely 0 ghosting according to my eyes, and i even turned it up to highest overdrive, 'speed' and in 50 hrs of use i only witnessed overshoot briefly once.

Anyways thanks for the input about the PG32UQX.

Such a shame if its a slow panel, because I was really eyeing it off :(

Not every LCD has percievable ghosting.

I have the Aorus FI27Q-X, which uses a new SS-IPS panel, that has absolutely 0 ghosting according to my eyes, and i even turned it up to highest overdrive, 'speed' and in 50 hrs of use i only witnessed overshoot briefly once.

Anyways thanks for the input about the PG32UQX.

Such a shame if its a slow panel, because I was really eyeing it off :(
Well - keep your eyes peeled in July: the Aorus Fi32u may be an option - especially if you like the 27.

Only 400nits tho: not an HDR eyeburning extravaganza... but should be a capable monitor nonetheless

Well - keep your eyes peeled in July: the Aorus Fi32u may be an option - especially if you like the 27.

Only 400nits tho: not an HDR eyeburning extravaganza... but should be a capable monitor nonetheless

The FI32U also comes with VRR + Backlight strobing called Aim Stabalizer Sync (Although we obviously don't know how well it's going to work, it may not even be worth using at all) so that's something that will help to improve the motion clarity even further. I am super interested in that monitor because it's the perfect combination of size + resolution and the additional of VRR + Backlight strobe may make it an absolute joy to use for games like PUBG and Apex Legends which don't even have HDR to begin with.

The FI32U also comes with VRR + Backlight strobing called Aim Stabalizer Sync (Although we obviously don't know how well it's going to work, it may not even be worth using at all) so that's something that will help to improve the motion clarity even further. I am super interested in that monitor because it's the perfect combination of size + resolution and the additional of VRR + Backlight strobe may make it an absolute joy to use for games like PUBG and Apex Legends which don't even have HDR to begin with.
Do we have any idea on pricing yet? Looks perfect for me.

Only reason I ruled out the FI32U is it's most certainly going to have ips glow and blb problems like every other non FALD ips. Plus strobing is always too dim for me.

I've re visited BF1 and having a blast max graphics and eye melting HDR.

Do we have any idea on pricing yet? Looks perfect for me.

~$1000? I think.

Only reason I ruled out the FI32U is it's most certainly going to have ips glow and blb problems like every other non FALD ips. Plus strobing is always too dim for me.

Absolutely. But glow and blb has never been an issue for me in Apex and PUBG, probably just due to those games not having very many dark scenes.

Very nice.
~$1000? I think.

Absolutely. But glow and blb has never been an issue for me in Apex and PUBG, probably just due to those games not having very many dark scenes.
That would be nice if it's $1k :). I never really have noticed ips glow, but blb isn't really an issue to me as I don't play dark games for the most part.

Vega, max graphics ftw imo. I am competitively minded and skilled, but I won't turn my graphics down to n64 levels to make enemies slightly easier to spot. Part of the enjoyment I get from games is how their art looks both technically and stylistically.

The FI32U is already available for order in Australia. For context, it costs less than half the price of the PG32UQX that is available for order here in Australia .

I would 100% jump on the FI32U, but I am looking for a HDR monitor to replace my CX48 low brightness HDR. At a max of 400 nits HDR on the FI32U and nowhere near the contrast levels and black levels as the CX, the FI32U I feel would be a huge step backwards in HDR games too.

But if it is anything like the FI27Q-X panel, than you will be pleased for competative non-HDR gaming, very fast panel, almost instant, no blur, and very snappy input, nice vibrant colours.

The FI32U is already available for order in Australia. For context, it costs less than half the price of the PG32UQX that is available for order here in Australia .

I would 100% jump on the FI32U, but I am looking for a HDR monitor to replace my CX48 low brightness HDR. At a max of 400 nits HDR on the FI32U and nowhere near the contrast levels and black levels as the CX, the FI32U I feel would be a huge step backwards in HDR games too.

But if it is anything like the FI27Q-X panel, than you will be pleased for competative non-HDR gaming, very fast panel, almost instant, no blur, and very snappy input, nice vibrant colours.

The PG32 is a real amazing monitor, its HDR dismantles the 48cx hdr....just don't go in expecting a modern ips gamery panel.

I would 100% jump on the FI32U, but I am looking for a HDR monitor to replace my CX48 low brightness HDR
PG32UQX is the melt-your-face HDR everyone wants.
Her less sexy sister - the Q without the X is the 600 nit beauty more people can afford.
Slated for early July along with the Aorus

I'm totally down for high brightness Mini LEDs, but not at the trade off of excessive blooming. Right now we are in the middle of a race between OLEDs getting brighter, and Mini LEDs getting more dimming zones. I believe Mini LEDs will get 10,000+ dimming zones before OLED hits 1600 nits brightness. Only when that day comes then I will happily ditch my CX and jump on the Mini LED train full steam ahead. Just my opinion but I'd rather take 700 nits with per pixel dimming than 1600 nits with only 1152 dimming zones. I just recently whipped out my X27 1100 nit FALD monitor and I am not convinced I will be happy with a PG32 especially if it has even WORST blooming. X27 is now back in the closet.

Attachments

• 20210620_121627.jpg
    20210620_121627.jpg
    336.7 KB · Views: 0
I'm totally down for high brightness Mini LEDs, but not at the trade off of excessive blooming. Right now we are in the middle of a race between OLEDs getting brighter, and Mini LEDs getting more dimming zones. I believe Mini LEDs will get 10,000+ dimming zones before OLED hits 1600 nits brightness. Only when that day comes then I will happily ditch my CX and jump on the Mini LED train full steam ahead. Just my opinion but I'd rather take 700 nits with per pixel dimming than 1600 nits with only 1152 dimming zones. I just recently whipped out my X27 1100 nit FALD monitor and I am not convinced I will be happy with a PG32 especially if it has even WORST blooming. X27 is now back in the closet.

I highly doubt OLED will hit 1600 nits, at least not for a very long time. They really haven't made much progress on brightness. Also, the JOLED panels that are going into the 32" 4K monitors are very dim. Like 250 nit full screen and 580 nit max HDR highlights. To me ~250 nits isn't even usable during the daytime, especially once you add the reflectivity of OLED panels.

I highly doubt OLED will hit 1600 nits, at least not for a very long time. They really haven't made much progress on brightness. Also, the JOLED panels that are going into the 32" 4K monitors are very dim. Like 250 nit full screen and 580 nit max HDR highlights. To me ~250 nits isn't even usable during the daytime, especially once you add the reflectivity of OLED panels.

Yeah I am also doubtful that OLED will ever get that bright, in which case it's days are numbered. Chiefblur also seems to be confident that we will soon start seeing >10,000 dimming zone FALD displays within the next few years. Give me one of those high zone Mini LEDs paired to a fast IPS panel and I'll be out the OLED game myself.

Long term, we're looking for minimum 10,000 controllable FALD zones in a 24"-27" panel at a 3-figure MSRP.

Previously, FALD matrix backlights used to be hand-built, with complex parabolic reflectors surrounding the LEDs because there were so few zones to cover a wide TV panel surface. Essentially a "Luxury Television" feature many of us never see.

Fortunately, with a sufficiently dense LED matrix, you simply use cheap plastic diffuser sheets instead (translucent types and fresnel types), barely modified from existing sheets that diffuse an edgelight evenly throughout the panel.

There is now a commoditization path later this decade to achieve that with just a 3-figure price. Basically 2025-ish, probably be 2027-ish due to fab shortages and the economy pause caused by COVID. But the path is established to get parts of the gaming monitor industry there. It is the magic recipe of sufficient LED matrix density for cheap optics + automated LED matrix assembly = 3 figure FALD MSRPs for whole desktop monitors.

Although 4-figure prices will probably still happen initially with the first 10K-count LED matrixes, the intent is to aggressively push it to 3-figures well before the end of the decade. The goal is to push FALD gaming monitors to the multithousand-zone leagues at the high-3-figure cost leagues.

There are other LED matrixes that have fallen cheap enough (Alibaba sells 32x32 RGB LED modules -- that's 3072 LED chips -- for a mere ~$10 per module); the commoditization of monochrome.

MiniLED backlight manufacturing is barely different from the ultra-commoditization of "JumboTron Lego" (the cheap square building blocks of a stadium scoreboard or video billboard) -- the same automated LED matrix factory assembly robots can also churn out cheap FALD sheets en masse, given a sufficiently large quantity order to appropriate specs.

My ideal would be 40" 4K, 144Hz, MiniLED FALD or OLED with min 1000 nits and very fast response!

Then I will trade the CX.

OLED will scale down pricing better than mini led but I dont think it will ever get brightness up to comparable levels.

Mini led may overtake OLED at the very top of the market in 3-5yrs once we get 100k or even 1m zone panels, ofc at a much higher price than OLED.

Micro led will be the undisputed king but I'm guessing it will be a decade until we see that in consumer market.

700nit maybe on 10% patch...on good bright scene u are on 200nit...the lg 32ep950 get 400nit but is 4000dollars and 60hz only....but of course u ll get real rgb layout too instead the bad wrgb :)

Oh man two in a row. Amazon reviews say the same, and one guy on Reddit has been through 3 all with the same defect. I still haven't got mine from Amazon yet but willing to bet it will be exactly the same.

Looking at it more closely I think this is damage from pressure on the panel, not a manufacturing flaw. Probably happened at the factory during assembly, I've seen several where this damage is in the same spot.

It would be nice to think that you could help out a manufacturer in reporting such an obvious manufacturing flaw, but you'd be better off talking to a brick wall. The best way I guess is to keep returning.

Maybe best to wait a month or two and try again to see if they have realized what's been going on with these non-QC checked parts.
Thanks for letting me know about others on Reddit with the same issue. I noticed Newegg removed the product link entirely. Wonder if they’re getting too many returns or just no plan for a restock anytime soon. Sounds like lots of lemons were shipped out by asus.

Thanks for letting me know about others on Reddit with the same issue. I noticed Newegg removed the product link entirely. Wonder if they’re getting too many returns or just no plan for a restock anytime soon. Sounds like lots of lemons were shipped out by asus.

Looks like the value of my pristine sample just went up. ;)

shame-jerry-seinfeld.gif

Last edited:
Is it just me or is Doom Eternal's loading splash screens really hard to look at in HDR? So far, that's been the most blinding thing I've "played" on this monitor, heh.

Also, these reports of defective panels are unfortunate. I'm happy I was able to get a (thus far) great one without having to do a several hundred mile drive. It's also kind of weird that the PA32UCG, which was available to pre-order first, still hasn't been released although I've seen a couple of YouTubers do reviews/unboxings.

Is it just me or is Doom Eternal's loading splash screens really hard to look at in HDR? So far, that's been the most blinding thing I've "played" on this monitor, heh.

Also, these reports of defective panels are unfortunate. I'm happy I was able to get a (thus far) great one without having to do a several hundred mile drive. It's also kind of weird that the PA32UCG, which was available to pre-order first, still hasn't been released although I've seen a couple of YouTubers do reviews/unboxings.
Did you recalibrate the HDR settings in the game for this monitor?

Hey Guys,

i received my PG32UQX yesterday and was shocked by this large dot and the dead pixels surrounding it. It is only visible on a black Screen.
It seems that there are a lot of faulty Panels out there, so please be aware.
709B66B2-CC1A-4C0D-B1A7-52DA4B3BF5C8.jpeg

Attachments

• 3E81932F-C061-40FB-BFFE-075949B00218.jpeg
    3E81932F-C061-40FB-BFFE-075949B00218.jpeg
    452.3 KB · Views: 0
You guys got me paranoid. Going to thoroughly stare at every miniLED zone individually to look for defects that I might have missed just using the monitor.

Hey Guys,

i received my PG32UQX yesterday and was shocked by this large dot and the dead pixels surrounding it. It is only visible on a black Screen.
It seems that there are a lot of faulty Panels out there, so please be aware.
View attachment 368544
Is it still visible when you move your mouse cursor away? With how zoomed in the picture is and how large the spots are it makes me think that you're seeing the FALD array, not pixels.

Is it still visible when you move your mouse cursor away? With how zoomed in the picture is and how large the spots are it makes me think that you're seeing the FALD array, not pixels.
No they are not visible when I move the cursor away.
I think you are right. The red dots are the FALD array, but they appear only around that brown spot.

No they are not visible when I move the cursor away.
I think you are right. The red dots are the FALD array, but they appear only around that brown spot.
The LEDs in that area are what could be stuck instead of the pixels. It could certainly happen if voltage isn't being applied correctly.

Not owning one - the blooming seems to be limited to a small subset of scenarios that rarely crop up in general use. l88bastard showcased an example of a 'holy shit, that sucks' case but he hasn't seemed to mind since.

'Fast' is one of those non-defined terms that can mean anything. Objectively the pixels are fast - but certainly not the fastest. (Folks who lose races to Usain Bolt are not slow because he's faster).

I think we've defined the monitor adequately - it's an HDR monitor that you can game on competitively. It's not an e-sport monitor with HDR.

Shrug - Tom's is not a site that I look to for in depth rigor anyway.

So would the small red dots be considered normal due to the FALD? I could only notice them on mine with HDR on now that I think of it and they didn’t show up in dead pixel tests.

So would the small red dots be considered normal due to the FALD? I could only notice them on mine with HDR on now that I think of it and they didn’t show up in dead pixel tests.
No, definitely not normal. The point of the FALD is that the LEDs should turn off to darken that area of the screen.

Not owning one - the blooming seems to be limited to a small subset of scenarios that rarely crop up in general use. l88bastard showcased an example of a 'holy shit, that sucks' case but he hasn't seemed to mind since.

'Fast' is one of those non-defined terms that can mean anything. Objectively the pixels are fast - but certainly not the fastest. (Folks who lose races to Usain Bolt are not slow because he's faster).

I think we've defined the monitor adequately - it's an HDR monitor that you can game on competitively. It's not an e-sport monitor with HDR.

Shrug - Tom's is not a site that I look to for in depth rigor anyway.
Blooming is definitely not limited to specific scenarios. It's present and visible under most circumstances. Roughly 30-40% of the content I consume is pretty dark and is really worst case scenario. Attached are Metro Enhanced DLC shots where the FALD completely falls apart. One is really overexposed and the other is closer to what my eye sees and these are both on the FALD "2" setting. On 3 it's even worse.

On another note, I really wish Asus provided more granular pixel response settings. The difference between the normal and fast (most aggressive) in terms of clarity is massive but fast is borderline unusable to me due to the overshoot. If they provided something between normal/fast it would be perfect. I don't care what TFT's pixel response #'s say regarding fast's measurements only being a marginal improvement, to my eye in something like a Metroidvania with constant panning backgrounds it's a significant difference.

EDIT: This post isn't to hate on the monitor, I'm just being realistic.

Attachments

• 20210615_230548.jpg
    20210615_230548.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210615_230546.jpg
    20210615_230546.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back