PG32UQX - ASUS 32" 4K 144 Hz HDR1400 G-Sync Ultimate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said, you can't use that video for comparison at all. To get one of the displays looking as it does to the eye means the exposure is messed up for the other and vice versa.

The majority of the discrepancies between them that you're describing are a result of the camera/setup.
That sounds unlikely. That nothing can be gleaned from the differences under the same camera settings. Maybe for the brightness reducing detail

I guess someone with both would have to confirm while looking out for these differences.

That sounds unlikely. That nothing can be gleaned from the differences under the same camera settings. Maybe for the brightness reducing detail

I guess someone with both would have to confirm while looking out for these differences.
Do you really think the Asus is blowing out highlights as seen in the video? Or is the camera exposure better suited for the OLED's limited brightness. There's your answer.

If he adjusted it so that the Asus highlight detail was visible to the lens as it is to the eye, the OLED would look like super dim garbage. You can see this all the time in these dumb side by side comparisons:

Those cows are not black blobs and devoid of all detail in person on the OLED.

I only use my CX48 for gaming and it is fantastic. Would never use it if I needed to get work done for longer than an occasional 15-20 mins at a time. I cannot see appreciable differences on the PG32 content, but most likely because I am not that attuned to them. So glad to see the discussion of the differences and look forward to what is next. As of today I would not make a change, but this is the place I come to for information about what is now and what is next. Thank you for everyone who buys this stuff and takes the time to compare them to what's out there. I really appreciate it and it is very helpful.

Last edited:
Are people still trying to compare this to the 48cx to justify the decision to avoid an absurdly expensive purchase?

They know thats tarded right? To compare an hdr blaster like the pg32 against dim OLED? It just isnt done. Two totally different worlds.

I think the brightness might actually be working against image quality since its LEDs. There's a common trend of the brightness decreasing image quality. If OLED could get as bright it would probably be ideal. The little issues might not be noticeable during action on screen but maybe when consuming the right content it will definitely be inferior.

IMO the main disadvantage in comparison remains text, black crush and I guess size. Is the monitor white-crushing?

A comparison with the pg32 would be nice. Should produce better results

it is exactly the opposite if u know how hdr work, in this shots seems like u compare hdr600 vs hdr1000 tonemapped....but in reallife u ll see the exactly opposite....more detail in bright zone on x27 or if equal detail cuz eoft on oled u ll get blackcrush
u can have more contrast but u can't have the same shades without the same brightness.

(i own the pa32ucx always miniled but 60hz ^^)

Are people still trying to compare this to the 48cx to justify the decision to avoid an absurdly expensive purchase?

They know thats tarded right? To compare an hdr blaster like the pg32 against dim OLED? It just isnt done. Two totally different worlds.
eheh and the best is "bright detail are more visible on low nit oled" XD

While I have been an OLED fan since they came out, when I did an A-B comparison of my 48CX versus the PG32 yesterday the OLED didn't fare as well as I expected.

The PG32 had better near black details due to the OLED black crush.
The PG32 had noticeably better colors.
The PG32 was obviously brighter, SDR and especially HDR. Everything just "pops" more on the PG32, despite the OLEDs perfect blacks and higher contrast ratio.

Despite the halo'ing that's a bigger deal than most people say, and despite the slow pixels in which the OLED has better motion clarity, the PG32 still won me over. The 48CX is up for sale.

The two main cons of this monitor, the not so great blooming and slow pixels, may or may not get fixed with the next gen of Mini LED monitors. I'm not talking about the Acer/AOC/Viewsonic rebrands of the PG32UQX using all the same stuff, but actual next gen panels like maybe the Innolux 10,000 dimming zone one or something. Until we get something like that I'll just stick to my CX. It's been over a year since this article has been updated, hopefully we can get some info soon.

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/high_refresh_rate.htm#ips

While I have been an OLED fan since they came out, when I did an A-B comparison of my 48CX versus the PG32 yesterday the OLED didn't fare as well as I expected.

The PG32 was obviously brighter, SDR and especially HDR. Everything just "pops" more on the PG32, despite the OLEDs perfect blacks and higher contrast ratio.

Despite the halo'ing that's a bigger deal than most people say, and despite the slow pixels in which the OLED has better motion clarity, the PG32 still won me over. The 48CX is up for sale.
Then your OLED settings are way off. Please don't take this wrong but, have you had your eyes checked recently?

To the people who don't care about brightness and can accommodate larger screens, tldr buy an OLED, it suits your needs better and it's cheaper.

To the people who think OLED has better colors or more "pop", uhh no, OLED is inferior in this regards because brightness adds pop and this monitor has a loooot more of that.
OLED will always have superior blacks because of lack of bloom on edges of light, but the PG32UQX might have more contrast with the higher brightness which might make the blacks seem blacker?

Mine finally shipped and will arrive Thursday. Super excited to try it out.
Where did you order from?

I ordered B&H a few hours after the order page popped up, still shows backordered.
From what I've read online, it seems Amazon/Adorama have not shipped yet and shopBLT has already pushed estimates to mid-late July (lol).
I've heard some reports Newegg orders were starting to ship out, and anybody lucky enough to order directly from Asus seems to get it shipped within 2-3 days.

The two main cons of this monitor, the not so great blooming and slow pixels, may or may not get fixed with the next gen of Mini LED monitors. I'm not talking about the Acer/AOC/Viewsonic rebrands of the PG32UQX using all the same stuff, but actual next gen panels like maybe the Innolux 10,000 dimming zone one or something. Until we get something like that I'll just stick to my CX. It's been over a year since this article has been updated, hopefully we can get some info soon.

I'm all for the next best thing.....bathe that 10,000 zone led and bring it to my bed chambers!

Where did you order from?

I ordered B&H a few hours after the order page popped up, still shows backordered.
From what I've read online, it seems Amazon/Adorama have not shipped yet and shopBLT has already pushed estimates to mid-late July (lol).
I've heard some reports Newegg orders were starting to ship out, and anybody lucky enough to order directly from Asus seems to get it shipped within 2-3 days.
I ordered from Amazon a couple hours after the listing went live on May 23rd and got UPS tracking earlier today. A friend who "backordered" from Newegg received tracking today too with it arriving tomorrow for him in southern California since he's right by newegg.

B&H and Bacon Lettuce Tomatoes are super unreliable so I never bother.

I hope the third, which is the very high cost is also fixed. These things need to come down to the 1500-2000 euro range.

Only way that happens is if Acer and Viewsonic had entered the market with their versions.
From what I gather the Acer pricing will be similar.

Obviously there is a couple hundred $$$ Asus tax but I still think the manufacturing costs from these monitors is too high to discount to sub-2k prices.

Crazy as it is, OLED is cheaper to produce (if LG Display is producing it, they have the most efficient mfg process).

From what I gather the Acer pricing will be similar
I'm actually doubtful the X32 or the XG321UG will be released. Acer has been dead silent since CES about this and Viewsonic took down the info page.

Would love to be wrong... but...

I'm actually doubtful the X32 or the XG321UG will be released. Acer has been dead silent since CES about this and Viewsonic took down the info page.

No idea on the X32 since Acer has been dead quiet, but I'm assuming it releases..... eventually..... at some point......

The ViewSonic I think originally had a July release date so maybe give that one another month or two.
I'm also curious about low ViewSonic can price it.

Was ASUS saying much between major events like CES? IIRC there wasn't much about the pg32UQX till release. People may have been wondering if it was still coming.

This is another reason I don't want to buy these. I don't think these monitor guys deserve the cash with how slow they are with things. Slow then priced high.

Was ASUS saying much between major events like CES? IIRC there wasn't much about the pg32UQX till release. People may have been wondering if it was still coming.

This is another reason I don't want to buy these. I don't think these monitor guys deserve the cash with how slow they are with things. Slow then priced high.
There was fairly regular chatter about the Asus, and it showed up on a product page. Viewsonic took theirs down and Acer has been silent.

I don't mind them pricing how they choose to - they've merely priced this monitor out of the range I'm willing to spend on a monitor. At least the monitor is released, and the reviews on it make it seem like a fantastic purchase for those willing to pony up.

There are several 'moderately priced' considerably less spec'd monitors coming out in the next 6 months. I'm now thinking the Acer non-FALD 32 will be soon, followed by the Viewsonic / Gigabyte. Asus also has a 'second tier' monitor that they'll release at some point - MSI etc say they want in on the 4k 32 action as well.

Its just a waiting game at this point.

I'm talking about next gen versions of these displays here, the current ones will all be expensive.
I agree - that's the best hope... But I'd feel more optimistic about it had Viewsonic and Acer entered the highest end of the quality spectrum aggressively rather than ceding it to Asus.

The middle tier (not FALD, non 60hz 32s) should be a richly competed zone next year, like 27s are today - presuming the five companies actually sell panels this year.

Vega are you still playing FPS? Is the motion blur difference crippling in twitchy games?

Vega are you still playing FPS? Is the motion blur difference crippling in twitchy games?

Yes I just played quite a few rounds of BF1. Crippling? hmm that is too individual. Is the motion smear noticeable? Ya quite a bit.

Indeed. The CX OLEDs are hopelessly outclassed by the PG32UQX in almost every category. The only people who deny this are, quite conveniently, CX OLED owners who have never used a PG32UQX before but want to protect their investment. It's essentially a defense mechanism.

An interesting display of human psychology if I've ever seen one.

Indeed. The CX OLEDs are hopelessly outclassed by the PG32UQX in almost every category. The only people who deny this are, quite conveniently, CX OLED owners who have never used a PG32UQX before but want to protect their investment. It's essentially a defense mechanism.

An interesting display of human psychology if I've ever seen one.
What a load of bollocks. If anything the fanboy here is you. All your posts are in this thread and a lot of them are putting down OLED tech.

I would expect most people here are interested in developments for monitor tech and will pick what works best for them regardless of what the tech is. I'm still interested in for example the Samsung G9 Mini-LED because I like that form factor a lot. I will gladly swap my CX for something better for my uses when that is available. The PG32 is not it when it costs 3x as much, has haloing and way slower pixel response times. That does not mean I'm not interested in how it performs to see a glimpse of where future monitors might be going.

What is it with this anti-OLED brigade we have here all of a sudden lol. There is no perfect display technology. Everyone has to decide for themselves what compromises they are willing to make.

I can easily pass on the super high brightness right now due to lack of content where it really matters. And deal with the size as I can just push my display as far back as I want to anyway. Some people also just want things to "pop" even if it's not what the creators intended, I am not one of them sorry.

I like to be in a dark room for the immersion factor and LCD is complete trash in that department for the time being. And while there is some great HDR content out there, for me it's not much of a selling point yet with standards all over the place and games or films so often having a ridiculously bad implementation of it.

Last edited:
What a load of bollocks. If anything the fanboy here is you. All your posts are in this thread and a lot of them are putting down OLED tech.

I would expect most people here are interested in developments for monitor tech and will pick what works best for them regardless of what the tech is. I'm still interested in for example the Samsung G9 Mini-LED because I like that form factor a lot. I will gladly swap my CX for something better for my uses when that is available. The PG32 is not it when it costs 3x as much, has haloing and way slower pixel response times. That does not mean I'm not interested in how it performs to see a glimpse of where future monitors might be going.
A brief look at your post history reveals:
kasakka said:
I have spent less on my two OLED TVs
Confirmed CX owner.

Last edited:
What is it with this anti-OLED brigade we have here all of a sudden lol. There is no perfect display technology. Everyone has to decide for themselves what compromises they are willing to make.

I can easily pass on the super high brightness right now due to lack of content where it really matters. And deal with the size as I can just push my display as far back as I want to anyway. Some people also just want things to "pop" even if it's not what the creators intended, I am not one of them sorry.

I like to be in a dark room for the immersion factor and LCD is complete trash in that department for the time being. And while there is some great HDR content out there, for me it's not much of a selling point yet with standards all over the place and games or films so often having a ridiculously bad implementation of it.
kalston said:
I don't have any major complaints with the CX right now, just minor quirks
Also a confirmed CX owner. How convenient.

As stated, the CX OLED TVs are hopelessly outclassed by the PG32UQX in almost every category and objective reviews confirm this. See for yourself. The only people who deny this are, generally speaking, CX OLED owners who have never used a PG32UQX before but want to protect their investment. It's essentially a defense mechanism.

And the two CX owners who showed up proved this point quite handily. Even looking at the difference in color space coverage alone, the PG32UQX is an entire generation ahead of the CX OLED TVs. When you consider the difference in HDR capabilities as well then it's no contest at all. Frankly those TVs shouldn't even be mentioned in the same thread, because even outside of them being outclassed by the PG32UQX, they make poor PC monitor choices in general due to the size/low pixel density and burn-in issues inherit to OLED.

Last edited:

Confirmed CX owner.
There is a reason someone becomes a repeat customer. Obviously this person has made the subjective decisions that the pro-to-con consideration of the OLED outweighs that of any LCD display. On paper there are several LCD monitors that have a better delta dE and color space coverage than the LG OLED, but comparing the picture in person often leads one to conclude that the image quality is superior on the OLED. And honestly, the near instant response time of an OLED make every LCD feel like molasses after experiencing it.

Yeah the certainty pg32 being outright better is odd. There are many things that make it a toss up. Down to what you want. the fact its 2 in 1 with a remote, tuner etc. More ports, lower price etc etc.

There is a reason someone becomes a repeat customer. Obviously this person has made the subjective decisions that the pro-to-con consideration of the OLED outweighs that of any LCD display. On paper there are several LCD monitors that have a better delta dE and color space coverage than the LG OLED, but comparing the picture in person often leads one to conclude that the image quality is superior on the OLED. And honestly, the near instant response time of an OLED make every LCD feel like molasses after experiencing it.
Yeah the certainty pg32 being outright better is odd. There are many things that make it a toss up. Down to what you want. the fact its 2 in 1 with a remote, tuner etc. More ports, lower price etc etc.
Yep. They are two different technologies trying to solve different technical problems / market 'needs'.

Can confirm that OLED looks fantastic in person, especially as a TV. Many of us have discussed throughout these threads how the form factor of the CX at 48+ isn't ideal for desktop use - and how 32 seems much more suited to the monitor space.

So size is one consideration.

And yet - there is no fast response OLED at that size. Even if there were - a fast response OLED would still be 'solving' a different need than the PG32. One is deep blacks and contrast, the other is HDR and color. One is designed primarily as a TV - and the extra white pixel actually diminishes its utility as a monitor (text clarity) - where the other is designed as a monitor and to hit the HDR numbers perhaps had to sacrifice pixel response at today's tech ability.

But because this is the internet, once somebody likes something - everything different is automatically 'trash'.

SMH

LG OLED and the PG32UQX are both great in their own unique ways.
Neither is perfect and both have compromises at the moment.

On another note...
Regretting ordering from B&H, no shipments and no ETA 😔

LG OLED and the PG32UQX are both great in their own unique ways.
Neither is perfect and both have compromises at the moment.

On another note...
Regretting ordering from B&H, no shipments and no ETA 😔
Discussion with support:

Me: Do you know when you will be getting inventory for PG32UQX? Newegg/Amazon began shipments earlier this week, but there have been no updates from B&H.

BH: No, we don't know.

Me: Are you sure? Amazon/Newegg had pre-delivery ETAs, even ShopBLT of all places has pre-delivery ETAs.

BH: Yeah sorry we don't know. Thanks and we appreciate your business.

Me: 🖕😃🔫

Took a risk ordering from B&H, backfired on me 😛
I learn from my mistakes though, will be patient for the Amazon order next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back