PG32UQX - ASUS 32" 4K 144 Hz HDR1400 G-Sync Ultimate

Status
Not open for further replies.
@l88bastard
@Vega

guys i need your help, i've been waiting 3 years for the pg32uqx and i'm absolutely undecided about what to do.
Never mind the money issue, let's put this aside for a moment

If right now, you should compulsorily KEEP one of the two between PG32UQX and Oled cx/c1
which of the two? answer dry of jet, and then if you can also put the considerations

I repeat not considering the money, only on image quality for gaming

You need both. They both do different things.

48cx shines with dark spacey games, Flight sims, 3rd person adventures like RD2

PG32 shines with FPS, Poppy HDR, work productivity, web surfing

We don't have ONE display yet that checks all the boxes.....but if I had to absolutely choose between the two it would be
the PG32 hands down....but I am biased as I use it for work productivity and the 48cx is hell for that after a couple hours

Thankyou
Interesting will be see how the PA32UCG works
it is a variant to the pg32uqx, on professional side, but with vrr and 120hz too and hdr 1600 peak

A BEAST, and has also 2.1 hdmi, at the simple price of 5k :\

We don't have ONE display yet that checks all the boxes

I think this is the right answer for most of these monitor threads. I mean, lets face it most people on here at least probably already own a decent enough productivity monitor or a gaming monitor that can do some minor productivity. But if you want the best of both you need more than one display. Displays last a long time so i don't see this as being a problem, people probably just need to get over the idea of having one single unicorn display that does it all.

Besides having more than one screen is totally a [H]ard thing to do.

I dunno how this works when the GPU's required to comfortably drive the display are approaching $2000 from the only accessible sources (shuffle bundles, eBay, scalpers).

I also don't understand how some think dropping $2-3k on a piece of hardware means you've instantly forfeited that amount. PG27UQ's still sell for $1000 used 3 years later.
Well can't speak for anyone else but myself, but when I buy something it generally doesn't get resold ever. It gets passed to someone else in my family for free so yes it's a completely forfeited amount of money. When I dropped almost $2k for an EVGA 3090 CX Hybrid direct from EVGA, I knew at a bare minimum that it would last 3 years (basically the warranty length) then I extended it by paying an extra $60 to get 2 more years to guarantee that it will last me 5 years. So that roughly set me back around $1900 or about $380/year for 5 years. To me that is not a good deal, just a barely acceptable in my book. This monitor is basically a 3 year warranty attached to it, so it makes this monitor only guaranteed to have a cost of $1k/year, which IMHO is too much for any kind of PC gear. Now add to that the nightmares I have heard about getting ASUS to honor their warranty it doesn't make me all that confident about dropping that kind of money on this monitor.

Thankyou
Interesting will be see how the PA32UCG works
it is a variant to the pg32uqx, on professional side, but with vrr and 120hz too and hdr 1600 peak

A BEAST, and has also 2.1 hdmi, at the simple price of 5k :\
I believe the pixel or FALD response (can’t remember which) on the UCG is much slower…

Hey guys, I’ve been following this thread for months in anticipation of this panel. I’ve enjoyed reading your comments and thoughts. Anyhow, just thought I would add some of my own.

I drove 7 hours round trip on Wednesday to the nearest micro center and picked up this display. I finally had time last night to set it up. Just as I had feared it seems I lost the panel lottery on this one. I’ve got what appears to be a permanently lit micro led that showed up when I first powered it on. It’s most prominent when viewing hdr content at full brightness. I ran eizo display tester and all the pixels display properly. The asus box was in mint condition so I can only think it’s a manufacturer defect. Unfortunately they’re all sold out now as well...

It’s a huge bummer as the display seems really nice otherwise.

Attachments

• E31ABCB3-49F9-48AF-AE34-D4CB8879677E.jpeg
    E31ABCB3-49F9-48AF-AE34-D4CB8879677E.jpeg
    595.8 KB · Views: 0
  • A818151E-6C86-47EB-82A2-34617BD147BF.jpeg
    A818151E-6C86-47EB-82A2-34617BD147BF.jpeg
    211.2 KB · Views: 0
Well can't speak for anyone else but myself, but when I buy something it generally doesn't get resold ever. It gets passed to someone else in my family for free so yes it's a completely forfeited amount of money. When I dropped almost $2k for an EVGA 3090 CX Hybrid direct from EVGA, I knew at a bare minimum that it would last 3 years (basically the warranty length) then I extended it by paying an extra $60 to get 2 more years to guarantee that it will last me 5 years. So that roughly set me back around $1900 or about $380/year for 5 years. To me that is not a good deal, just a barely acceptable in my book. This monitor is basically a 3 year warranty attached to it, so it makes this monitor only guaranteed to have a cost of $1k/year, which IMHO is too much for any kind of PC gear. Now add to that the nightmares I have heard about getting ASUS to honor their warranty it doesn't make me all that confident about dropping that kind of money on this monitor.
Yeah I don't do that. Everything I buy gets dumped on the used market for 60-70% what I paid and I upgrade to whatever is latest and greatest/interesting.

If the C1 was a bigger step up I would have ditched my CX and paid the $500 on top for the upgrade.

Hey guys, I’ve been following this thread for months in anticipation of this panel. I’ve enjoyed reading your comments and thoughts. Anyhow, just thought I would add some of my own.

I drove 7 hours round trip on Wednesday to the nearest micro center and picked up this display. I finally had time last night to set it up. Just as I had feared it seems I lost the panel lottery on this one. I’ve got what appears to be a permanently lit micro led that showed up when I first powered it on. It’s most prominent when viewing hdr content at full brightness. I ran eizo display tester and all the pixels display properly. The asus box was in mint condition so I can only think it’s a manufacturer defect. Unfortunately they’re all sold out now as well...

It’s a huge bummer as the display seems really nice otherwise.

Dang....sorry to hear that man :(

Yeah I don't do that. Everything I buy gets dumped on the used market for 60-70% what I paid and I upgrade to whatever is latest and greatest/interesting.

If the C1 was a bigger step up I would have ditched my CX and paid the $500 on top for the upgrade.

I'm gobsmacked by the c177, just watched 3 HDR 4k movies in a row! Blows the 55 c9 it replaced away ...but then again that may be mostly due to size jump

Some more thoughts on the monitor:

Pro's:
1. 4K/32"/144 Hz is the best overall combo right now. Really a sweet spot. Would be silly to buy this monitor and not pair it with anything but a 3090.
2. Good reflection handling. Much preferred over my 48CX OLED.
3. Great SDR brightness.
4. Amazingly bright HDR. Pretty stunning to see it in action.
5. Some of the best color capability I've ever seen.
6. Gsync ultimate chip allows very smooth gameplay with very low input lag.
7. Owing to DSC, monitor can do up to full RGB HDR 12-bit color at 144Hz. Huge improvement over the 27 inch versions.

Neutral:
1. I prefer small bezels but they aren't noticeably bad like on the 27inch versions.
2. Asymmetric stand is kinda silly. I'll be putting it on an articulated arm anyway.
3. Holy large 280watt power brick.
4. Fan noise really isn't that bad.
5. With FALD off, IPS glow and BLB are very minimal. But then HDR Basically maxes out at SDR brightness.

Con's:
1. Holy halo's batman. Way more noticeable than the 27 inch versions. FALD on desktop is unusable. Halo noticeable in game menus. Can notice the halos during gameplay on certain color backgrounds. Crosshair over walls, etc. Basically any light on dark item. Space/dark games are this monitors nemesis. (Turn FALD off.)
2. Slow pixels. Plenty of blur trailing. Not a competitive FPS monitor by any means.
3. Due to the silly decision to have the ASUS logo flash at you constantly, the micro OLED display will probably be turned off by most users. Otherwise having the FPS counter there is super nice.

A firmware update for the poor FALD halo performance and ASUS logo flashing would go a long way!

Due to the heavy limitations of this monitor, it's for a niche buyer. A buyer that demands bright game HDR performance way above all other considerations.

I feel the monitor is more suited for the $2,500 price point. It's such an incredibly mixed bag, I'm still not sure if I'm going to keep it and just wait for thec 42" OLED. Let's just say the receipt is in a safe place! The HDR performance is something to behold, but you really do pay a price for it in many ways.

It seems like many mini LED displays this year and late last year suffer from pronounced haloing compared to standard large LED's. Maybe a side effect of the higher light output concentrated into smaller area. The FALD algorithm looks just as poor as it's predecessor so I don't think that's the cause.

The whole point of more FALD zones and smaller mini LEDs was to improve the haloing and here we are instead. The irony.

The whole point of more FALD zones and smaller mini LEDs was to improve the haloing and here we are instead. The irony.
Yep, but still the best blow jobs in town @ 32" 4k144!

3. Due to the silly decision to have the ASUS logo flash at you constantly, the micro OLED display will probably be turned off by most users. Otherwise having the FPS counter there is super nice.

A firmware update for the poor FALD halo performance and ASUS logo flashing would go a long way!
I this the 2" butthole OLED screen flashes the asus logo as an excuse to refresh the pixels and prevent burn in lol

I feel the monitor is more suited for the $2,500 price point. It's such an incredibly mixed bag, I'm still not sure if I'm going to keep it and just wait for thec 42" OLED. Let's just say the receipt is in a safe place! The HDR performance is something to behold, but you really do pay a price for it in many ways.
I don't think three grand is unreasonable for this display.

1) Everything is more expensive after Covid....factor in $500 extra right there
2) The 27's were two grand and this display is more advanced and three years have passed
3) Its a luxury item. Luxury items are expensive. The bed my wife ordered costs over $12,000. A BED!
4) Shittier, slower 60hz 4k 32" FALD monitors cost more
5) ZERO COMPETITION right now at this form factor

However, with that said....if they had a better FALD algorithm that reduced haloing / bloom and less pixel blur, I would rate this monitor as a hard buy @ $3,000. Given its current limitations, I can only recommend purchase if you can find it on sale for $2,999.

I think the lowest the PG27UQ ever dipped was $1099 or $1199 at Microcenter. Based on this if you're willing to wait a year(s) it will possibly go on sale for $2000-2200.

Then again the PG35VQ has basically never gone below $1800 new and Acer sells their X35 version refurb all day on eBay for $1600.

I think the lowest the PG27UQ ever dipped was $1099 or $1199 at Microcenter. Based on this if you're willing to wait a year(s) it will possibly go on sale for $2000-2200.

Then again the PG35VQ has basically never gone below $1800 new and Acer sells their X35 version refurb all day on eBay for $1600.
Rather than these Falds getting more affordable. I think there is a better chance of other competition in the market. Like those 32" 4k144 oleds, the 42 LG Oled.

They made way more of those 27" Falds than they are making 32's and a couple things contributed to those lower prices on the 27" like refurbish clearances and such.

With my Amazon ETA updated to late this week, as every day passes I'm seriously considering cancelling my order and just sticking with the CX. I dunno if I can stomach keeping both (CX above this monitor) especially when looking at that upcoming 32" 4K monitor list where the non dedicated Gsync module PG32UQ would probably do fine for desktop duty.

At the same time I really want to see this thing with my own eyes.

With my Amazon ETA updated to late this week, as every day passes I'm seriously considering cancelling my order and just sticking with the CX. I dunno if I can stomach keeping both (CX above this monitor) especially when looking at that upcoming 32" 4K monitor list where the non dedicated Gsync module PG32UQ would probably do fine for desktop duty.

I am pleased to note that there are many of us with the same doubt, and I am pleased to note that there are many of us who own a CX, and are not fully satisfied with it, as they continue to look around

A user on twitter said that his humble opinion the pg32uqx is better, i myself am back from the cx to the x27p that I think better than the cx in hdr,
there is little to do, for me these oleds may be with perfect blacks, but not very bright and this affects a lot, then put a format out of use desktop, and then you remain a little perplexed about the oled

Obscene prices for these monitors, but they are fabulous

I would not cancel your PG32 amazon order. Around the third day of owning it you will be devising a way to sell the 48cx or stick it in the guest bedroom like I did.

I am pleased to note that there are many of us with the same doubt, and I am pleased to note that there are many of us who own a CX, and are not fully satisfied with it, as they continue to look around

A user on twitter said that his humble opinion the pg32uqx is better, i myself am back from the cx to the x27p that I think better than the cx in hdr,
there is little to do, for me these oleds may be with perfect blacks, but not very bright and this affects a lot, then put a format out of use desktop, and then you remain a little perplexed about the oled

Obscene prices for these monitors, but they are fabulous
Unfortunately, everything is obscenely priced these days. It has caused me to only buy what I think will be quality. I had my freekout period around day 2 over the starfield stuff, but now have zero regrets getting this thing. Its an awesome monitor.

Oh and I would not buy this monitor without Gsync Ultimate.....that is what gives it is nearly zero input lag....this monitor is freaky responsive like an oled.

I know I'm going to sound insane here but $3K for a display in a world of $2000 GPU's is starting to seem "ok" especially considering how much life you can get out of it (3-5 years).
I bought a PG27UQ the day it came out and I can't see replacing it in another 2 years, being honest, but I do seem to go through 5 year cycles with my monitors.

48cx shines with dark spacey games, Flight sims, 3rd person adventures like RD2

PG32 shines with FPS, Poppy HDR, work productivity, web surfing

We don't have ONE display yet that checks all the boxes.....but if I had to absolutely choose between the two it would be
the PG32 hands down....but I am biased as I use it for work productivity and the 48cx is hell for that after a couple hours
Agree with this. I have a 55 C8 with my PG27UQ and both are really strong at certain types of content and neither are masters of all.

The PG27 & X27 are awesome displays. Dense PPI, great Fald, fast refresh.
If I only gamed or surfed the web I could have stuck it out with my PG27 instead of upgrading.....but needed the size for work prod.

The PG32 is their older, slightly weird big brother, that does most things better and a few things not so mucher.

Basically it is like this:
PG27: I had to sit 18" from screen which was too close for comfort
48CX: I had to sit 4-5 feet from screen which was too far for comfort

PG32: I'm right at the 24" - 30" sweet spot. Perfection.

Last edited:
The PG27 & X27 are awesome displays. Dense PPI, great Fald, fast refresh.
If I only gamed or surfed the web I could have stuck it out with my PG27 instead of upgrading.....but needed the size for work prod.

The PG32 is their older, slightly weird big brother, that does most things better and a few things not so mucher.

Basically it is like this:
PG27: I had to sit 18" from screen which was too close for comfort
48CX: I had to sit 4-5 feet from screen which was too far for comfort

PG32: I'm right at the 24" - 30" sweet spot. Perfection.
apart from the size of the panels, for those who come from the pg27 or x27 will notice a better image I hope?
because otherwise for how nice can be justify 3000 only to go from 27 to 32 is a bit objectively too much

apart from the size of the panels, for those who come from the pg27 or x27 will notice a better image I hope?
because otherwise for how nice can be justify 3000 only to go from 27 to 32 is a bit objectively too much
Despite having a PG27 & 48cx, it was worth it, for me, to upgrade to the PG32.
I had the exact same reservations as I have seen others lament about.

After having the PG32, I no longer need the PG27 & 48cx and can sell both to recoup some of the cost.
The PG32 is currently my favorite monitor, ever.

In the same week my C1 77 LG oled arrived...so now I don't need my C9 55 that it replaced lol
C1 77 oled is currently my favorite TV, ever.

Despite having a PG27 & 48cx, it was worth it, for me, to upgrade to the PG32.
I had the exact same reservations as I have seen others lament about.

After having the PG32, I no longer need the PG27 & 48cx and can sell both to recoup some of the cost.
The PG32 is currently my favorite monitor, ever.

In the same week my C1 77 LG oled arrived...so now I don't need my C9 55 that it replaced lol
C1 77 oled is currently my favorite TV, ever.
That's exactly what i ve done, i sell the cx and x27 to buy the pg32. Can't wait it arrives from amazon.com in italy :)

Ya even with its massive flaws, it's the best "one display to rule them all". I'll be selling my 48CX. It's just a better size and the large decrease in reflections is nice.

guess I should be looking for a used oled tv. No way I'm supporting the pricing on this.

wait a minute this thing only has hdmi 2.0? and 1 display port? Out of the question then. Glad I don't have to think too hard about it.

guess I should be looking for a used oled tv. No way I'm supporting the pricing on this.

wait a minute this thing only has hdmi 2.0? and 1 display port? Out of the question then. Glad I don't have to think too hard about it.
You in the market for a 48cx or c955 😂

The jump from 27 to 32 is a big deal.

In the tv world its the equivalent of going from a 55 4k oled to 77" 4k oled

The only thing stopping me from selling off the CX once this arrives is I have a PS5 sitting beside my Meshlicious so HDMI 2.1/VRR whenever Sony adds it will be a huge benefit. Also it was super annoying switching inputs with the PG27UQ so I'd much rather have a nice big display for console exclusives.

I thought about selling the CX and getting a cheaper LCD alternative for console/movie duty but that also makes 0 sense given the bargain bin FALD sets with tons of uniformity issues go for $649-749 (TCL, Hisense, etc). That's literally $250-300 less than what I could get for my CX on the used market and just not worth it.

With the X32 supporting gsync ultimate and having 2.1, the only downside over the PG is the additional $700. At these price points, that $700 seems acceptable for the 2.1 longevity.

It supports DSC over DisplayPort.
With the X32 supporting gsync ultimate and having 2.1, the only downside over the PG is the additional $700. At these price points, that $700 seems acceptable for the 2.1 longevity.
Wait, the X32 is $700 more expensive? Have a source to share?

With the X32
Wait, the X32 is $700 more expensive?
From everything I can tell - X32 no longer exists. Would love to see something on it from later than Jan 2020... but like the Viewsonic FALD, I think all the other players let Asus have this market (the UQX). Lots of others entering the non-FALD 32 markets (purportedly)... but the highest end seems to be a solo show by Asus.

The problem I forsee with the Innolux based versions is the typical lower contrast IPS, glow and BLB. Besides obviously not holding a candle to the PG32 for HDR. But their pixel speed with undoubtedly be noticeably faster.

So you will have to choose FALD HDR picture quality and slow pixels for double the price, or the usual IPS pitfalls with edge lit crap HDR but faster pixels for half the price.

The problem I forsee with the Innolux based versions is the typical lower contrast IPS, glow and BLB. Besides obviously not holding a candle to the PG32 for HDR. But their pixel speed with undoubtedly be noticeably faster.

So you will have to choose FALD HDR picture quality and slow pixels for double the price, or the usual IPS pitfalls with edge lit crap HDR but faster pixels for half the price.
The AUO panels for the non-FALD are different from the FALD ~ not the same +/- backlight. The FALD is M320QAN02.6, it is believed that the non FALD panels Asus and Viewsonic will use is the M320QAN02.3.

Innolux, interestingly detailed a 32 with 2 million dimming zones (the M315DCM-E70) - but I don't know of anyone who picked it up. It would have competed with / exceeded the UQX. But their 'step down' panel is the M315DCA-K7B, which is used on the FI32U

Time for me to ask a question: you write that innolux has lower contrast and worse BLB, but faster pixel speed than AUO? Do you know of panels in out currently where I can read about that?

The AUO panels for the non-FALD are different from the FALD ~ not the same +/- backlight. The FALD is M320QAN02.6, it is believed that the non FALD panels Asus and Viewsonic will use is the M320QAN02.3.

Innolux, interestingly detailed a 32 with 2 million dimming zones (the M315DCM-E70) - but I don't know of anyone who picked it up. It would have competed with / exceeded the UQX. But their 'step down' panel is the M315DCA-K7B, which is used on the FI32U

Time for me to ask a question: you write that innolux has lower contrast and worse BLB, but faster pixel speed than AUO? Do you know of panels in out currently where I can read about that?

Ya the FALD and non-FALD will have different part numbers, but the actual LCD panel will be the same. Only the backlight housing will be different. They aren't going to make two different actual LCD panels, one for each backlight housing. That means the non-FALD version too will have the same slow pixels I believe.

As for the Innolux panel, that's just my opinion based off of experience and the PG32 panel being "special" and having different characteristics than other IPS-type panels. The Innolux monitors are also stating 1ms pixel speed, so it obviously will be faster than the PG32 which is quite slow for IPS-type these days. A regular IPS-type edge-lit panel will have all the massive IPS-type pitfalls, contrast ratio most likely under 1000:1, IPS glow, back light bleed. All of the stuff I cannot stand.

I went back to TFT's PG35VQ review to compare and that VA is on average around 1ms faster overall compared to this IPS which is pretty sad. It does still suffer from 30ms+ black smear though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back