PG32UQX - ASUS 32" 4K 144 Hz HDR1400 G-Sync Ultimate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like you need a LG 48 CX/C1.
No one needs a LG 48 CX/C1, and even then it is questionable. The sole exception is if you exclusively play console games on a couch, but this thread isn't about that it is about a product aimed at PC users.

I'm really tired of people incessantly pushing these OLED TVs in nearly every discussion on this monitor when they aren't even in the same universe in terms of HDR capabilities.

OLED will never be capable of a true HDR experience like Mini-LED technology is, because it is limited by a (very low) brightness ceiling. Mini-LED on the other hand can improve local dimming and reduce black levels simply by increasing the amount of zones. There is a reason that Apple decided to use Mini-LED tech, even in its present state, instead of OLED for Pro Display XDR (XDR is Apple branding for HDR) and the new high end iPad Pro. You will never experience true HDR on an OLED. Not to mention the terrible pixel density of those LG OLED TVs and the burn-in issues make that OLED completely unsuitable for use as a PC monitor.

The fact that a 48 inch TV is being recommended as a PC monitor is mind-boggling. No one wants to sit 25 feet from a screen to not see all of the pixels. And then on top of that because it is a TV it lacks G-Sync Ultimate, the 10-bit color depth intended for creative professionals, and the refresh rate of the PG32UQX.

? 10 bit works fine on the LG and literally every test shows people preferring HDR on OLED TVs right now. I don't care what Mini-LED will be capable of in the future, we are talking about what exists and is available as of today. And you act like OLED can't be improved which is false. It's possible that eventually we will have a better alternative without the limited lifespan of the pixels (but there might still be other serious drawbacks and I doubt OLED will die anytime soon) but again, this does not matter one bit if you want a display right now because OLED is where it's at and that is factual.

The LG OLED TVs are the closest we've had to a perfect all-around display in years (for both PCs and consoles, doesn't matter). I'm sorry you can't accept that but you're not gonna change the reality. You can have your personal preferences and find reasons to to pick another display, that's okay. But misinformation is not.

edit: oh waw, fresh user with one single post. Mmmh

Last edited:
OLED will never be capable of a true HDR experience like Mini-LED technology is, because it is limited by a (very low) brightness ceiling. Mini-LED on the other hand can improve local dimming and reduce black levels simply by increasing the amount of zones. There is a reason that Apple decided to use Mini-LED tech, even in its present state, instead of OLED for Pro Display XDR (XDR is Apple branding for HDR) and the new high end iPad Pro. You will never experience true HDR on an OLED. Not to mention the terrible pixel density of those LG OLED TVs and the burn-in issues make that OLED completely unsuitable for use as a PC monitor.
The reason why Apple uses Mini-LED is really more about the lack of OLED panels in the sizes of an iPad Pro or XDR display. The first 32" OLED came out this year and it's not a HDR powerhouse at all. Even the XDR isn't particularly great at HDR in the first place with its 576 zones, that's not going to be reference grade no matter how Apple markets it. It's still going to be decent at HDR but its benefits are almost entirely in its high resolution.

You have clearly never used an OLED TV as a monitor. I've used my LG CX 48" as a desktop display for over 10 months now. No burn-in, works just fine with 1m viewing distance. Is it ideal, would I prefer if it was smaller? Absolutely. At around 38-40" but nobody makes that. Or alternatively 48-50" with 8K res, which again does not exist.

We don't live in an ideal world so it's by far the best overall compromise in the "larger than 27", high refresh rate 4K display" category. And I can buy probably around 3 of them for the price of one PG32UQX. That's why they keep getting recommended.

No one needs a LG 48 CX/C1, and even then it is questionable. The sole exception is if you exclusively play console games on a couch, but this thread isn't about that it is about a product aimed at PC users.

I'm really tired of people incessantly pushing these OLED TVs in nearly every discussion on this monitor when they aren't even in the same universe in terms of HDR capabilities.

The fact that a 48 inch TV is being recommended as a PC monitor is mind-boggling. No one wants to sit 25 feet from a screen to not see all of the pixels. And then on top of that because it is a TV it lacks G-Sync Ultimate, the 10-bit color depth intended for creative professionals, and the refresh rate of the PG32UQX.
The LG OLED is a true 12-bit panel while PG32UQX is 8-bit + FRC.

I have a PG27UQ & a 48CX on my desk. Neither is a replacement for the other.

The 48cx has superior image quality with black levels and contrast and the PG27 has superior image quality with regard to PPI & HDR

I prefer the PG27 for work productivity and high color high HDR games and less competitive FPS like BFV
I prefer the 48cx for third person games like RD2 and SDR only games like GTAV....and PRON.

The HDR is very nice on the 48cx, but it really pops 3Dish on the PG27 and the PG32 should be even better.

Da Bears
Also the LG oled is way to fucking large, even at 48 and sitting back further is not the ideal solution
Also the PG27 is way to fucking small and sitting closer is not the ideal solution.

PG32 will fill a sweet spot until we get proper 32" Oleds which could be six months or three years away.

Last edited:
I have a PG27UQ & a 48CX on my desk. Neither is a replacement for the other.

The 48cx has superior image quality with black levels and contrast and the PG27 has superior image quality with regard to PPI & HDR

I prefer the PG27 for work productivity and high color high HDR games and less competitive FPS like BFV
I prefer the 48cx for third person games like RD2 and SDR only games like GTAV....and PRON.

The HDR is very nice on the 48cx, but it really pops 3Dish on the PG27 and the PG32 should be even better.

Also the LG oled is a 10 bit panel not 12.
Also the LG oled is way to fucking large, even at 48 and sitting back further is not the ideal solution
Also the PG27 is way to fucking small and sitting closer is not the ideal solution.

PG32 will fill a sweet spot until we get proper 32" Oleds which could be six months or three years away.
I have a 55C8 and PG27UQ and have to generally agree with your assessment on usage. Some games look and play better on one versus the other.

The LG OLED is a 12-bit panel, but they limited the HDMI bandwidth on the CX and C1 so that it can't do 4K 12-bit like the C9 was able to.

PG32 will fill a sweet spot until we get proper 32" Oleds which could be six months or three years away
Heh - the longer they delay the 'UQ not X' and its siblings, the closer the OLED mfrs get to rendering them obsolete.

When I started down this road, 4K OLED 32 wasn't on the horizon - yet the 60hz is here.

Gimme a 120 Hz and I'll skip all the other panels I've been hyping since October

Heh - the longer they delay the 'UQ not X' and its siblings, the closer the OLED mfrs get to rendering them obsolete.

When I started down this road, 4K OLED 32 wasn't on the horizon - yet the 60hz is here.

Gimme a 120 Hz and I'll skip all the other panels I've been hyping since October

Im a big fan of oled...had two curved lg2016s, a 55" 2017, briefly had the 31.5" dell monitor and had the 55 alienware 4k120 until my wife destroyed it with a shoe!

I currently have 55 c9 & 48cx and they are amazing.

However none of those can do what my pg27uq does and I am skeptical that we will be able to buy the 32 4k120+ oleds anytime soon. The 32 4k144 & 8k120 make my dick hard for sure but all they are right now are cock teases.

Asus makes good gaming monitors. I have the 43 inch XG43VQ Utrawide just for sim racing and 16:9 XG32VQ 32 inch for FPS games.
I upgraded from a 28 inch 16:9 and the extra 4 inches makes a huge difference with 144hz too.

The price tag for this one might be too big for everyone, so I'd categorize it as a niche market.

My ShopBLT pre-order says eta 06/12/2021

But....I'll probably PREORDER CANCEL lmao

Last edited:
Im a big fan of oled...had two curved lg2016s, a 55" 2017, briefly had the 31.5" dell monitor and had the 55 alienware 4k120 until my wife destroyed it with a shoe!

I currently have 55 c9 & 48cx and they are amazing.

However none of those can do what my pg27uq does and I am skeptical that we will be able to buy the 32 4k120+ oleds anytime soon. The 32 4k144 & 8k120 make my dick hard for sure but all they are right now are cock teases.
I've had almost the exact setups in the past including the Dell and I couldn't agree more. Add to that multiple flagship 1000 nit QLED Tv's.

I returned everything, including the 48cx, to go back to the pg27uq. It was honestly a massive relief to get back to that monitor. The PPI and HDR implementation is astounding.

I'm not too excited about OLED monitors due to their low nit levels. In my experience, even though the OLED has more accurate HDR inherent to the panel, once you get used to 1000 nits with sufficient local dimming, especially on a smaller screen, the impact is on another level and was definitely missed when trying to switch to a lower nit display.

The upcoming X32 is about the only monitor I look forward to. Hopefully they are working on developing dual panel LED gaming displays or micro LED's. Maybe they will be able to boost OLED nit levels using a different design.

The upcoming X32 is
...apparently vaporware.

There isn't anything about it since CES 2020. Don't get me wrong: would love to see them put that panel forward... but with Viewsonic, Asus and Gigabyte talking 'SoonTM' and rumors of Phillips bringing one out... Acer has been dead silent.

TFT does suggest that "According to the latest Acer press release, the Predator XB323QK NV monitor will be available in North America in May starting at USD $1,199.99; in EMEA in May starting at EUR 1,199.00. https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/a...ith-31-5-4k-ips-panel-and-144hz-refresh-rate/

Which I take to mean 'sometime after the end of June' (Note: 2022 is 'after the end of June')

Last edited:
Anyone read the TFT article? Do they have any idea on wider availability, or is it mostly a technical & performance review?

Anyone read the TFT article? Do they have any idea on wider availability, or is it mostly a technical & performance review?
I read the TFT article. They didn't mention availability that I saw. Not much to go on other than the 'End of May' that Asus mentioned. Looks like Microcenter at least has a page up for it at $2,999 but it is listed as sold out.

It's a press release regurgitation. Most is a specsheet in paragraphs form.

(as we update this news piece in January 2021!) but we now have some updated information and pricing to share. According to the latest Acer press release, the Predator XB323QK NV monitor will be available in North America in May starting at USD $1,199.99; in EMEA in May starting at EUR 1,199.00.

Looks like they're going to miss Januaries date too, by how much is TBD.

You’re talking about their news piece which yes, is an overview of the specs and features as it was. Well. A news piece! Shock

You’re talking about their news piece which yes, is an overview of the specs and features as it was. Well. A news piece! Shock
Yes, but the person I was replying to couldn't be bothered to click the link; and wanted a summary which I gave. 🙄🙄🙄

Yes, but the person I was replying to couldn't be bothered to click the link; and wanted a summary which I gave. 🙄🙄🙄
Ah ok. I think he was talking about the review which is only early access at the moment but is certainly more than a spec run down :)

Looks like they're going to miss Januaries date too, by how much is TBD.

LOL...

I was trying to figure out what DanNeely was talking about there - and I see what happened.

In my question, here:

I was referring (albeit, without a link) to THIS review on TFT: https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_rog_swift_pg32uqx.htm (which relates to the original thread & title)

-- what apparently happened was you guys thought I referred to the press release regurgitation, which I linked a couple posts above (about the Acer). Grin - I did read the article I quoted from and cited!
So I reiterate:

Does TFT's review of the UQX suggest anything about availability?

Yep all got a bit confused :) but no it doesn’t confirm any further info on availability. All we have is the “by end of May” suggestion from a while back from the press release

So…I just placed an order on Microcenter. Still trying to decide if I should order from Asus web store when it becomes available eventually and cancel the MC order. Haven’t dealt with Asus’s online store before.

5F89D5F1-C835-403B-86BE-FA4471E44832.jpeg

He must have found a bug or some sort of transition on the Microcenter web site. I saw the monitor pop up on Microcenter.com and it's always been listed as "in-store" only.

He must have found a bug or some sort of transition on the Microcenter web site. I saw the monitor pop up on Microcenter.com and it's always been listed as "in-store" only.
I only have a pre order in with shitBLT....but i would love to get about ten more pre-orders in with other vendors....mAybe in just drunk and my wife is hanging on another woman at a ritzy bar.....but i woukd love love love to get at least ten more pre-orders in.....fuck maybe a preorder of a preorder

No bug. If you got to it early enough it let you order it shipped. I got to it too late and it would let me add to cart but forced pick up at checkout. 30 mins later and it was strictly in store pick up.

My friend who tipped me off to it an hour earlier also ordered it shipped no problem. Too bad I was driving (should have pulled over).

Hmm they are popping in-stock all over the country at Microcenter. I wonder if I should drive 8 hours round trip to Atlanta to pick one up. Pretty sucky drive...

It will be interesting to see how quickly, if at all, a $3K monitor sells out. There are currently four in stock in the Atlanta area.

Last edited:
Ya I guess the $2K 27" G-Sync ultimate versions sold pretty well. What's another grand for a much better size and higher count FALD backlight setup.

Ya I also ordered but likely cancelling. I just read TFTCentrals review and this .gif perfectly represents my expression when I started the article reading about over 1,600 nit peak brightness to my expression at the end reading about how slow the pixels are:

Smiling.shocked.WTF-GIF.gif

Ya I also ordered but likely cancelling. I just read TFTCentrals review and this .gif perfectly represents my expression when I started the article reading about over 1,600 nit peak brightness to my expression at the end reading about how slow the pixels are:

View attachment 358991
To be fair - that mirrors my reaction to the less technical video reviews posted on previous pages.

At that price point, perfection makes sense. I'm willing to give up a bit on a non fald at @ $1000, but for $3k before tax & etc...?

Nope

From TFTs dive - Did you get any impressions whether the problem lies with the panel itself or can be related to the GSync module or other choices made by Asus? Or is it a AUO issue?

It's the panel itself. Nvidia is very good with optimizing pixel response with manufacturers that use their module. Look at the huge difference between the 32GK850G and F (15ms worse in dark transitions but uses same panel).

To be fair - that mirrors my reaction to the less technical video reviews posted on previous pages.

At that price point, perfection makes sense. I'm willing to give up a bit on a non fald at @ $1000, but for $3k before tax & etc...?

Nope

From TFTs dive - Did you get any impressions whether the problem lies with the panel itself or can be related to the GSync module or other choices made by Asus? Or is it a AUO issue?

That kind of motion performance on the Asus would've probably been acceptable like....6 years ago or something when IPS weren't as quick as they are today. But nowadays everyone is spoiled by either 120Hz OLEDs or really fast IPS panels like the LG GN950 so I think the Asus just isn't gonna cut it now even with it's super high HDR brightness levels as the trade off.

Mine shipped this morning so phew, I thought I did order through a glitch when I saw some of the responses.

Speculation about the response time compared to other IPS panels is that due to HDR and very high peak brightness, the panel is made with higher temperature tolerance that results in slower response.

It’s disappointing that it couldn’t be close to ideal in all areas but I guess it’ll be fine for the games I play. Don’t exactly play a ton of esports titles, etc. I mean, my truly ideal display would have been 30” with 16:10 AR but I gave up on that pipe dream years ago when many vendors decided to focus on 16:9 as a cost savings major (ironic that 16:10 is making a resurgence on laptop displays though).

Ya but it's hard to swallow $3K pricetag with 2013 IPS pixel speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back