PG32UQX - ASUS 32" 4K 144 Hz HDR1400 G-Sync Ultimate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting.

With only one supplier listed, does that mean the early stock is going straight to the Chinese market - or is it the first step in a chain that could go to ASUS +others?
I have no idea. It's been like that since August, maybe earlier.

with cyberpunk delayed another month i hope this monitor comes out shortly after the game does so i can hold on and wait for it...

Anyone happen to hear any updated rumors on when this monitor (or the Acer version) might be out? Thx

Anyone happen to hear any updated rumors on when this monitor (or the Acer version) might be out? Thx
Absolutely zero. I keep asking the Acer rep at least once a month and she keeps saying the release date in unknown. Although in August she clearly said, that preliminary it would come out in the beginning of 2021. I would wait for CES on January 11. Maybe there will be more interesting monitors to wait for...

Personally though, if the Acer X34S comes out this month - I will try to settle with it and call it a day for a long time. 200hz, hardware gsync, full srgb support in every mode possible, factory calibrated dE<2, native 10 bit panel... It can do full RGB (4:4:4) resolution @200hz with 8bit color. Plenty good for SDR. And for HDR you go down to 175Hz for 4:4:4 10 bit.

Last edited:
Absolutely zero. I keep asking the Acer rep at least once a month and she keeps saying the release date in unknown. Although in August she clearly said, that preliminary it would come out in the beginning of 2021. I would wait for CES on January 11. Maybe there will be more interesting monitors to wait for...

Personally though, if the Acer X34S comes out this month - I will try to settle with it and call it a day for a long time. 200hz, hardware gsync, full srgb support in every mode possible, factory calibrated dE<2, native 10 bit panel... It can do full RGB (4:4:4) resolution @200hz with 8bit color. Plenty good for SDR. And for HDR you go down to 175Hz for 4:4:4 10 bit.
Thanks. CES is nice to see new tech but I feel like anything that is announced at CES is still a year out in terms of the PC monitor space. This Asus monitor was announced at last years CES and it still isn't out yet.

I am not into ultrawide monitors and I wanted something with better HDR capabilities than the X34S. So I will wait a bit longer...

I think I saw its already for sale in China through a partner site. Pretty steep.

Who knows if that carries over to NA/EU

Was hoping to see it in a flat panel config - but its curved

From my understanding from additional communication with the rep - nothing new (with hardware Gsync module) will come out in December and probably in January either. No X32 or X34S. I suppose Asus follows the similar trend.

From my understanding from additional communication with the rep - nothing new (with hardware Gsync module) will come out in December and probably in January either. No X32 or X34S. I suppose Asus follows the similar trend.
:-(

So I figured I would start a mock betting pool for this monitor. What are the chances we hear anything about this monitor at CES next week? :)

ASUS has a bad habit of announcing and revealing monitors long before they are even ready for production. It is not unusual for 1-2 years to go by after announcement for a monitor to actually get into customer hands.

Well, Viewsonic just announced a model using the same panel/tech as Asus and Acer and saying Summer 2021 availability for theirs. I wonder if the Asus/Acer ones will come to market first or if in fact, all of them will come out around the same time. Disappointingly, still only Displayport 1.4 and HDMI 2.0. Still nothing about DSC support either so that's probably not going to happen either.

ViewSonic Elite XG321UG with 32″ IPS Panel, 4K, 144Hz, G-sync Ultimate and Mini LED Backlight

Well LG Display announced they will start making a 42 OLED TV in 2021. Something tells me it won't be until late 2021 that TV manufacturers start selling the TV in that size though. So the wait continues... When does ASUS present at CES?

Well the Asus CES presentation went by and no mention of the PG32UQX. Hopefully some news breaks in the next couple of days. I just want a little bit of an update at least....

Well the Asus CES presentation went by and no mention of the PG32UQX. Hopefully some news breaks in the next couple of days. I just want a little bit of an update at least....
The panel got listed in the awards part - honoree or something.

Well, Viewsonic just announced a model using the same panel/tech as Asus and Acer and saying Summer 2021 availability for theirs. I wonder if the Asus/Acer ones will come to market first or if in fact, all of them will come out around the same time. Disappointingly, still only Displayport 1.4 and HDMI 2.0. Still nothing about DSC support either so that's probably not going to happen either.

ViewSonic Elite XG321UG with 32″ IPS Panel, 4K, 144Hz, G-sync Ultimate and Mini LED Backlight
If I'm not mistaken, Acer is owned by AU Optronics, who manufactures the panel that is going into these. Both ASUS and Acer are Taiwan-based companies and get first pick on panels, typically.

Lol the non FALD version barely gets announced and already has an expected release date of end of Q1.

https://pcmonitors.info/asus/asus-pg32uq-with-144hz-4k-ips-panel/
That panel and the ViewSonic Elite, as well as the Acer, are presumably all AUO's M320QAN02.3 design. From some of what I've read, a better expectation is June/July in the US & EU. They all (well, at least Asus and VS) suggested a Q1 2021 release, but given Covid and the US/China tension later is more likely.

Edit: (Unless I've missed something? You've been on top of this as much as I these past few months)

Needless to say - exciting times for those of us who want 'the total package' upgrade; as long as we have patience that is!

That panel and the ViewSonic Elite, as well as the Acer, are presumably all AUO's M320QAN02.3 design. From some of what I've read, a better expectation is June/July in the US & EU. They all (well, at least Asus and VS) suggested a Q1 2021 release, but given Covid and the US/China tension later is more likely.

Edit: (Unless I've missed something? You've been on top of this as much as I these past few months)

Needless to say - exciting times for those of us who want 'the total package' upgrade; as long as we have patience that is!
well i guess we all do have patience since we have already been waiting over a year since this monitor has been announced and it looks like we have another 5-6 months to go...

Well I just saw on tftcentral that the Asus ProArt version of this monitor (It appears to have the same high refresh rate panel with 1152 zones) has a bit of an update. The Asus website says 'coming soon'. It also looks like it was updated with HDMI 2.1. Hopefully the delay in this gaming version PG32UQX is because they added HDMI 2.1 as well.

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/a...vrr-1152-zone-miniled-backlight-and-hdr-1400/

I kind of find advertising a panel capable of 120hz at 4k to be deceptive when you cannot get a 4k 120hz signal in to the panel.

Also - yeah they announced it... But they sure have not offered it for sale anywhere in the free world.

Well I just saw on tftcentral that the Asus ProArt version of this monitor (It appears to have the same high refresh rate panel with 1152 zones) has a bit of an update. The Asus website says 'coming soon'. It also looks like it was updated with HDMI 2.1. Hopefully the delay in this gaming version PG32UQX is because they added HDMI 2.1 as well.

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/a...vrr-1152-zone-miniled-backlight-and-hdr-1400/

When Asus puts "coming soon", that usually means between one and two Presidential elections.

When Asus puts "coming soon", that usually means between one and two Presidential elections.

I've been waiting for the damn ASUS PA32UCG since October 2019. The monitor was listed by some distributor in San Diego for 5K+ that does not sell to the general public. (Could also be that it was being sampled to select customers.) I'm really annoyed with ASUS especially now with WFH. I am now considering using the Apple Pro XDR + Belkin Sync cable. I was really hoping to have the PA32UCG for the HDR/COLOR and VRR. Would be so useful especially now that I don't have access to our lab (Sony Reference 4K HDR monitor.)

I now have to consider the XDR and replace my perfectly awesome KS8000 with an VRR TV at some point for working with VRR.

I kind of find advertising a panel capable of 120hz at 4k to be deceptive when you cannot get a 4k 120hz signal in to the panel.

Also - yeah they announced it... But they sure have not offered it for sale anywhere in the free world.
My PG27UQ does 4K 120 Hz over DisplayPort 1.4, so I don't know what you're talking about.

This is in relation to 32 inch panels - some don't have the right connections
Which models are you referring to? You say "deceptive" advertising, so there must be a particular model you are talking about.

Which models are you referring to? You say "deceptive" advertising, so there must be a particular model you are talking about.
There was one - but I don't remember it exactly and am disinclined to research it again.

I spend a lot of time looking at 32 inch monitors

There was one - but I don't remember it exactly and am disinclined to research it again.

I spend a lot of time looking at 32 inch monitors
This isn’t true. Maybe you’re talking about the need to drop chroma level on some of them at the upper end, or the need to drop colour depth. But all of them have at least DP 1.4 which is capable of 4K at 144hz. Some will even have hdmi 2.1 which should allow the same without colour sacrifice

This isn’t true. Maybe you’re talking about the need to drop chroma level on some of them at the upper end, or the need to drop colour depth. But all of them have at least DP 1.4 which is capable of 4K at 144hz. Some will even have hdmi 2.1 which should allow the same without colour sacrifice
So on its surface dropping quality is an admission that 'you can't really do it'.

I accept that the argument can be made that if you (the customer) are willing to compromise, that technically you can - but when you buy a 4k fast IPS, the expectation is that you want:
  • Fast refresh (120hz or better)
  • All the goodness of IPS
...so when the inputs limit you to two of the three? Kind of a bad choice. I'm betting the pricing reflects all three.

Now - I've argued elsewhere that this Gen of GPU is the first to offer people the full goodness of 4k with high frames that regular people can afford (if not find) - so the cards have the ports and parts to send all the goodness to the panel. I've also said that this, combined with the fact that the new Consoles can be effective at 4k is the invitation to the industry to offer panels that can take advantage of the GPU power. It greenlights them to expect a customer base that largely did not exist before September.

The simple fact is that the panel industry has not yet pushed the high end panels to market (again, specifically in reference to 32-inch panels that are 4k, fast refresh, IPS, etc.). The proof is stuff like existing, for sale in the market ProArt panels that can only push 60hz. Or 4k panels that have some compromise like I described above.

Again - I don't have the inclination to recreate the delving search where I found a panel suggesting that it was perfect for 32-inch 4k fast IPS (but the inputs really did not meet the requirements) - but it exists... Hence my caution to members that they should look at the details before purchasing to know for certain that they are getting what they want. That the panel is exactly as advertised - and not with some hidden compromise built in

Ok so you ARE talking about the necessary colour sacrifices on some screens if you want to use 4K at 120Hz. But that’s not what you originally said which I think is where there’s confusion above
DarkSideA8 said:

All these screens that are advertising 4K and 120Hz can get a “signal to the panel” and will work to those specs. But some like the original Asus PG27UQ needed you to drop chroma to get there. I totally agree that consumers need to be aware in situations where there are caveats like that.

But then there have been other screens released since that do not even need to do that. For instance the LG 27GN950 does not need you to drop chroma or colour depth even to run at 4K 120hz. It uses DSC which is lossless visually.

some of the forthcoming 32” 4K 120Hz panels will likely have this too. At least the adaptive sync ones prob will, the native Gsync maybe not as the module would need an update to support it. Others may also have HDMI 2.1 which can support it too thanks to higher bandwidth capacity

Ok so you ARE talking about the necessary colour sacrifices on some screens if you want to use 4K at 120Hz. But that’s not what you originally said which I think is where there’s confusion above
<sigh>

I expanded my statement.

I was not originally thinking about dropping quality - partly because of the technicality I referred to above - but almost entirely because the input issue is what bugged me. I expanded it in later posts after others reminded me of the subsampling issue, because that is also kind of deceptively BS; when you think you're getting full value of something and then later realize that they only got there by downgrading something else. (Note: I think that is perfectly fine to do, so long as the customer is fully aware of what they're buying... and can choose to accept the compromise. Nothing deceptive in that scenario)

What I referred to originally back on Feb 17 was exactly what I wrote: a panel claiming to be a 32 inch 4k/120(+) IPS but when you looked at the details it came with DP 1.2 or HDMI 2.0 or the like; i.e. not capable of 4k/120. So - yeah, there is a panel out there where the PANEL can purportedly refresh above 60hz, but you can't get a faster than 60hz signal to it because the inputs limit it.

--- NinjaEdit: For those all in a flutter about what I wrote, here's this: https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/comparison/e036192b60 It's not the original site I saw where a 120hz panel listed the lower spec inputs, but like the other site (which I can't find) it also has the HDMI2.0/DP1.2 specs shown for the PA32UGC, and that's supposed to be a 120. However, you can see that only one of these listed (PA329CV) shows DP1.4. I'm willing to accept that my statement may have been based on bad info. I've since been cautioned about this site's info.

I know this is the internet and folks like to quibble about every little thing, but all of this detail scratching is a waste of time My point is again, what I wrote this morning:
my caution to members that they should look at the details before purchasing to know for certain that they are getting what they want. That the panel is exactly as advertised - and not with some hidden compromise built in

Last edited:
Oh - and by the way: I am henceforth ignoring all of this 'Pics or it didn't happen' quibbling. If you are truly interested; I invite you to find the panel. It's out there.

What total nonsense. There is no such screen that is advertised in that way but lacks the inputs to support it from any main or decent manufacturer.

You can’t just make a statement and then put the onus on everyone else to go on a wild goose chase looking for something that doesn’t exist. If you think there’s one out there feel free to point it out to us all, but if you are “disinclined” to go and find it and back up your statements then don’t bother spamming this thread with false information

Well, the max supported resolution of gaming monitors that are advertised as 4k 120hz is really 4k 4:2:2 120hz, or 4k 96hz if you want the full 4:4:4 color. That's what manufacturers don't mention in order to sell the half assed 4k 120hz gaming monitors to gamers. The exception are the rare Acer models that have double DP inputs and the LG OLEDs that support HDMI 2.1. That's why everyone is so crazy about the CX48 btw.

Last edited:
Well, the max supported resolution of gaming monitors that are advertised as 4k 120hz is really 4k 4:2:2 120hz, or 4k 96hz if you want the full 4:4:4 color. That's what manufacturers don't mention in order to sell the half assed 4k 120hz gaming monitors to gamers. The exception are the rare Acer models that have double DP inputs and the LG OLEDs that support HDMI 2.1. That's why everyone is so crazy about the CX48 btw.
Yes I agree some have that limitation, there’s. I debate about that. Although quite a few now also use DSC to overcome all those problems anyway so it’s not an issue in more recent generation options overall. But the debate above is about the unsubstantiated claim that there is a screen that just fundamentally lacks the right input so cannot get to 4K at 120Hz even with colour drops or anything else. But that doesn’t exist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back