PG32UQX - ASUS 32" 4K 144 Hz HDR1400 G-Sync Ultimate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just spent some time with a friend's 50" QN90A which is also mini LED but only has 448 zones. What's crazy is that it's FALD/blooming is literally night and day better than this monitor even though it's significantly larger and has basically half the zone count.

Goes to show you just how far a good local dimming algorithm can take a display and is IMO the biggest thing holding back the PG32.

Samsung's local dimming used to be crap once you turned on Game Mode. So I'm guessing even in game mode the QN90A has great local dimming performance? That's pretty promising because the general assumption is that you need the physical Gsync module to have a good combination of VRR, Overdrive, and local dimming all in one package. The QN90A would essentially prove all of that wrong.

The apparent amount of problems with this release and that there has been little to no information on the Acer and Viewsonic equivalents does hint that this panel / mini led combo was riddled with development problems from the start. I wouldn't be surprised if they axed their version of the product all together and Asus just decided to throw the darts and hope it sells enough to re-coupe development costs even knowing it will probably have a higher then average return rate. Like you said this panel will probably be phased out pretty quickly with better mini led tech on a faster IPS or VA panel over the next couple years.
So are you returning your unit for a refund or are you going to try your luck and ask for another one?

I just spent some time with a friend's 50" QN90A which is also mini LED but only has 448 zones. What's crazy is that it's FALD/blooming is literally night and day better than this monitor even though it's significantly larger and has basically half the zone count.

Goes to show you just how far a good local dimming algorithm can take a display and is IMO the biggest thing holding back the PG32.
Interesting, and contrary to what I have heard about the TV. What kind of tests did you perform to compare the panels?

Update from Asus support on the yellow reflection issue (attached image).
They initially said this was normal, they now acknowledge the defect:

thank you for contacting the Asus support

After viewing the attachments sent, I invite you in this case to activate the repair procedure (RMA)

I sent them a video where the yellow reflection appears gradually after I stop scrolling next to a bright object, I guess that was what changed their mind...

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 0
Update from Asus support on the yellow reflection issue (attached image).
They initially said this was normal, they now acknowledge the defect:

thank you for contacting the Asus support

After viewing the attachments sent, I invite you in this case to activate the repair procedure (RMA)

I sent them a video where the yellow reflection appears gradually after I stop scrolling next to a bright object, I guess that was what changed their mind...
Glad they stepped up and acknowledged the issue. This is absolutely not normal behavior. I would hope that with a product at this price point they would be able to cross ship a monitor so you have one. Although I am not sure if they offer this feature outside of Motherboards.

So are you returning your unit for a refund or are you going to try your luck and ask for another one?

I begrudgingly went with the refund because with the amount of reported issue and my luck it will probably take me multiple tries to land a good one. Outside of the weird yellow problem and my mediocre uniformity I really enjoyed this display. The HDR was the best I have seen and 4k 32 inch definitely seems to be the sweet spot.

I will say going back to my PG279Q with bad IPS glow has been painful. I have been really living in the stone ages. :bag:

Might try my luck as it looks like the PG35VQ is going to start being back in stock at a number of distributors through out Aug. I know it's a 2-3 year old panel at this point but it still seems to get generally positive reviews. At it's new price point of over $1000 cheaper then the PG32UQX it seems like a better buy for a decent HDR gaming experience since a LG TV size won't work for me.

Last edited:
Samsung's local dimming used to be crap once you turned on Game Mode. So I'm guessing even in game mode the QN90A has great local dimming performance? That's pretty promising because the general assumption is that you need the physical Gsync module to have a good combination of VRR, Overdrive, and local dimming all in one package. The QN90A would essentially prove all of that wrong.
Yeah it's still not as effective as it is outside of game mode but a big improvement from prior generations that basically disabled FALD in game mode. The choice of what/when to dim is what makes a pretty big difference.

As for the rest though it's still not usable to me. Even without VRR enabled, overshoot was clearly visible to me in gaming content but my friend didn't notice it at all for the entire week he owned it until I pointed it out to him.

If it had more than 1 HDMI 2.1 port like the EU version and they calmed down with the super aggressive overdrive it would be decent.

I begrudgingly went with the refund because with the amount of reported issue and my luck it will probably take me multiple tries to land a good one. Outside of the weird yellow problem and my mediocre uniformity I really enjoyed this display. The HDR was the best I have seen and 4k 32 inch definitely seems to be the sweet spot.

I will say going back to my PG279Q with bad IPS glow has been painful. I have been really living in the stone ages. :bag:

Might try my luck as it looks like the PG35VQ is going to start being back in stock at a number of distributors through out Aug. I know it's a 2-3 year old panel at this point but it still seems to get generally positive reviews. At it's new price point of over $1000 cheaper then the PG32UQX it seems like a better buy for a decent HDR gaming experience since a LG TV size won't work for me.
I get that.
I was still on a PG348Q with horrible IPS glow and uniformity (although colours were very nice and it is a great monitor for working from home).
When playing Dead Space I was more appalled by the IPS glow than the necromorphs. You cannot dismember the IPS glow...
So after > 5 years I was itching to upgrade and seeing how slow things are in the monitor market, I thought that I wasn't going to wait for another 3 years until they get their s*** together.
The PG35VQ was the only other monitor I would consider, like you, but VA+ultrawide (which I don't like much because of distortion + I sometimes play older games without that aspect ratio) + fantastic HDR on the PG32UQX made me decide that the latter was my only option. I was so happy when I had no bright spots or dead pixels. Until surely enough I got this yellow tint rubbish.
I also have an LG C1 48 and there I also needed to RMA because of a bright vertical line on the panel.
The monitor market has to contend with its own pandemic it would seem.

Like clockwork, good spot Hypez...

View attachment 378609

Not convinced that only some units have this issue.
Stuck leds and bright spots in random places (or even recurring at weak points) are one thing, this looks like a design issue.

Hi!

I tried to reproduce your test, this is what I get FALD LVL3 :
IMG_0253l.JPG

No particular problem, however I am sure I have already encountered this problem in the menu of a game but I had never managed to reproduce it to take a picture.

I'm really happy with my replacement screen and the performance of this screen in game. So far it's pretty good overall! I'm currently playing Days Gone in HDR and I have much less blooming than with my PG35VQ, the gaming experience is really excellent!

As for the FALD setting I use level 2 almost all the time. And with my new one I also had a very clear improvement on World of Warships. In LVL2 there is almost no blooming in game whereas on my first screen, even in LVL2 the blooming was visible on World of Warships. I also want to mention that World of Warships was unplayable for me with the FALD on the PG35VQ no matter what the setting was.

Again, sorry if there are mistakes in my message, I don't speak English very well.

ProKable

Hi!

View attachment 379286

No particular problem, however I am sure I have already encountered this problem in the menu of a game but I had never managed to reproduce it to take a picture.

I'm really happy with my replacement screen and the performance of this screen in game. So far it's pretty good overall! I'm currently playing Days Gone in HDR and I have much less blooming than with my PG35VQ, the gaming experience is really excellent!

As for the FALD setting I use level 2 almost all the time. And with my new one I also had a very clear improvement on World of Warships. In LVL2 there is almost no blooming in game whereas on my first screen, even in LVL2 the blooming was visible on World of Warships. I also want to mention that World of Warships was unplayable for me with the FALD on the PG35VQ no matter what the setting was.

Again, sorry if there are mistakes in my message, I don't speak English very well.

ProKable
ProKable, thank you for the test and screenshot, this definitely settles it, I have submitted an RMA for mine.

Happy to see that there are at least some units that perform as they should, I might need to go through a couple of replacements but hopefully I will get there in the end...

Hi!

View attachment 379286

ProKable

Interesting I still can sorta see a yellow tint on the right side or maybe my eyes are just bad hah. Your fald in general looks way better then mine ever was as I don't see any haloing off of the the white objects much either.

After seeing these better displays I am having a hard time deciding if I want to play the lottery on this monitor and give it another try or just move on :unsure:

*Edit* since you talked about the PG35VQ I am considering. Is the blooming noticeable worse in general or just select examples? Overall how would you compare picture quality?

Yes, I tried again to put the screen in error and the situation where the problem is the most visible is on the private navigation page of Edge. As you said the uniformity is not perfect but still better on my screen compared to your pictures. I was lucky apparently. But as I said I also noticed once this problem in the pause menu of a game but did not manage to reproduce it. My screen is clearly not perfect either.

By moving the mouse cursor to the left edge of the screen I can see that there is still a problem with the FALD algorithm on a gray background. In my opinion all panels are affected but the problem is less visible on some panels. Unfortunately I don't think that Asus will release an update. It is very complicated to be heard. I have contacts at Asus Switzerland and I'm going to report the problem after my vacations.

The question is, does the problem bother you in game? Because I have the impression that it is a visible situation only in this extreme case. After seeing the price of the screen, it seems clear to me that Asus should communicate about this and correct it but as I said, it is unfortunately very complicated to be heard.

I may be wrong but it seems to me that a similar problem was also present on the PG35VQ. I would have to test it again to be sure but I don't have the screen at hand at the moment.

Otherwise to answer your question Hypez. The blooming is in fact present in different situations on the PG35VQ. For example, a starry sky will be much better on the PG35VQ but some elements displayed on light gray, light blue will cause blooming more easily. Overall, I don't have enough experience with the PG32UQX to give a firm opinion but it is very situational. There are some wallpapers that I couldn't use with the PG35VQ that I can use now with the PG32UQX and also the opposite ... I also notice for example blooming on the aiming reticules in some FPS with the PG32UQX on dark background that I didn't notice with the PG35VQ After all, the PG35VQ is still a fantastic screen for me to play video games.

If you want, I can make you some comparison pictures between the two screens this weekend ! But it is always complicated to do justice to its screen with pictures.

Yes, I tried again to put the screen in error and the situation where the problem is the most visible is on the private navigation page of Edge. As you said the uniformity is not perfect but still better on my screen compared to your pictures. I was lucky apparently. But as I said I also noticed once this problem in the pause menu of a game but did not manage to reproduce it. My screen is clearly not perfect either.

By moving the mouse cursor to the left edge of the screen I can see that there is still a problem with the FALD algorithm on a gray background. In my opinion all panels are affected but the problem is less visible on some panels. Unfortunately I don't think that Asus will release an update. It is very complicated to be heard. I have contacts at Asus Switzerland and I'm going to report the problem after my vacations.

The question is, does the problem bother you in game? Because I have the impression that it is a visible situation only in this extreme case. After seeing the price of the screen, it seems clear to me that Asus should communicate about this and correct it but as I said, it is unfortunately very complicated to be heard.

I may be wrong but it seems to me that a similar problem was also present on the PG35VQ. I would have to test it again to be sure but I don't have the screen at hand at the moment.

Otherwise to answer your question Hypez. The blooming is in fact present in different situations on the PG35VQ. For example, a starry sky will be much better on the PG35VQ but some elements displayed on light gray, light blue will cause blooming more easily. Overall, I don't have enough experience with the PG32UQX to give a firm opinion but it is very situational. There are some wallpapers that I couldn't use with the PG35VQ that I can use now with the PG32UQX and also the opposite ... I also notice for example blooming on the aiming reticules in some FPS with the PG32UQX on dark background that I didn't notice with the PG35VQ After all, the PG35VQ is still a fantastic screen for me to play video games.

If you want, I can make you some comparison pictures between the two screens this weekend ! But it is always complicated to do justice to its screen with pictures.
Okay, first I thought you couldn't speak English very well but, I'm sorry, I don't see how much more fluent you can get!

Second, I live in Switzerland so I might need your contacts at Asus Switzerland now that I am RMA'ing to maybe get a couple of bad replacements only instead of, say, a dozen :)

Third, out of curiosity, what made you upgrade from the PG35VQ?

Interesting I still can sorta see a yellow tint on the right side or maybe my eyes are just bad hah. Your fald in general looks way better then mine ever was as I don't see any haloing off of the the white objects much either.

After seeing these better displays I am having a hard time deciding if I want to play the lottery on this monitor and give it another try or just move on :unsure:

*Edit* since you talked about the PG35VQ I am considering. Is the blooming noticeable worse in general or just select examples? Overall how would you compare picture quality?
Just give it another try, come over to the Bloom Side my child
palpatine_bloom.jpg

Hi!

View attachment 379286

ProKable
ProKable, when performing the test did you:
1. first put the brightness at 100%,
2. closed OSD,
3. reopened OSD (which stays very bright) and then
4.put brightness down to 0%?

Because mine looks like yours when I just turn down the brightness to 0% (also no haloing) without doing all the steps.
If however I follow the steps that Hypez said it's "hello yellow land"..

It seems that after you set brightness to 100% and close the OSD (steps 1 and 2), when you reopen the OSD, the OSD keeps that 100% brightness even when you dim the rest of the monitor to 0%.
So you get that yellow effect simply because the OSD stays at 100% brightness while you set the rest of the monitor to 0% brightness.
It's the delta in the brightness of areas of the screen (against a grey background) that creates this yellow tint.
The higher the delta in brightness of the areas, the more prevalent the effect on the grey area.

Sorry to insist on this, I just want to make sure that any replacement panel that I get when I RMA will not suffer from the same issue no matter how many times I repeat the process.

Also, see the PG32UQX video review at .
From 26:08 when reviewer sets Twitter to Dim mode and creates a grey background, you can see yellow reflections, especially when he is fiddling with the OSD.

You guys are just looking for reasons to return/RMA. I understand it's a $3000 display but if it's not something you see in regular usage forget it exists and enjoy the monitor.

It has a 3 year warranty and Asus is really good with RMA anytime.

8m having some new issues with my flawless disolay. Can somebody do these steps and ket me know if they have same problem.

1) rotate the monitor completely upside down.
2) stand behind monitor
3) add large mirrors to floor, ceiling and walls
4) strip nakes
5) order a pizza
6) ice down genitalia
7) put VR headset on
8) count to one thousand

Please any help would be greatly appreciated

8m having some new issues with my flawless disolay. Can somebody do these steps and ket me know if they have same problem.

1) rotate the monitor completely upside down.
2) stand behind monitor
3) add large mirrors to floor, ceiling and walls
4) strip nakes
5) order a pizza
6) ice down genitalia
7) put VR headset on
8) count to one thousand

Please any help would be greatly appreciated
Thank you for your meaningful contribution.
For step 7 can you clarify, do you put the VR headset on the genitalia?
Because I can definitely see blooming when I do that.
I would post pictures but, you know..

Thank you for your meaningful contribution.
For step 7 can you clarify, do you put the VR headset on the genitalia?
Because I can definitely see blooming when I do that.
I would post pictures but, you know..
YOUR NOT SUPPOSE TO SEE ANY BLOOMING!!!!

I'm confused about the input lag. TFTCentral has it at 2.50ms while pcmonitors.info has 2.57ms with variable backlight off, but 12.68ms with variable backlight on. Do they measure it differently? I don't think TFTCentral mention if their 2.5ms is with variable backlight on or off. Although pcmintors said " Note that we don’t have the means to accurately measure input lag with G-SYNC active in a VRR environment or HDR active in an HDR environment." Not sure if that's related.

I'm confused about the input lag. TFTCentral has it at 2.50ms while pcmonitors.info has 2.57ms with variable backlight off, but 12.68ms with variable backlight on. Do they measure it differently? I don't think TFTCentral mention if their 2.5ms is with variable backlight on or off. Although pcmintors said " Note that we don’t have the means to accurately measure input lag with G-SYNC active in a VRR environment or HDR active in an HDR environment." Not sure if that's related.
2.50 vs 2.57 are close enough to presumably be the same settings with the residual difference due to panel variation/measurement error.

Some good news from ASUS Switzerland customer service, it appears that they come and deliver a replacement unit to your home at the same time they pick up the RMA'd unit.
Not too shabby, ASUS...

Hi!

View attachment 379286

Pro

Good review. That really shows the slow pixel response time well and it seems to be present at all refresh rates and OD settings. Hard to accept that in this day and age of fast IPS screens.
It is a downside of this monitor IMO, but as I have mentioned. I really do not notice any smearing or blur. I am fairly sensitive to this and it is a non issue for me. I am sure If I had it side by side with a 1ms IPS panel It would be noticeable, but it is hardly a deal breaker.

I also didn't notice any smearing that's noticeable or bad enough to return it in either. I saw one person on Reddit that said they can't tell the difference between this monitor and a OLED when it comes to pixel response. So I don't know if this something that's different for each person.

I also didn't notice any smearing that's noticeable or bad enough to return it in either. I saw one person on Reddit that said they can't tell the difference between this monitor and a OLED when it comes to pixel response. So I don't know if this something that's different for each person.
I do suppose some people might be more sensitive to it.

This is why i did not purchase this monitor, i am one of those that a very sensitive to pixel response.

Instead I am waiting for more reviews of the Neo G9. Some of the early chinese reviews show it to have a 1.8ms average response, that is amazing for a monitor with these specs.

The monitor pixel response on the PeeGeeis more than fine, its a non issue really and I am usually a stickler on motion clarity (former fw900 owner).....people acting like its a catleap with no overdrive is ridiculous.

I checked review of this monitor on tftcentral and my conclusions so far:
- since they changed site layout tftcentral is very slow...
- almost as slow as this monitor response times XD
- and price of this monitor is... better not check...
- its 2021 so surely it has HDMI 2.1... wait, what? WHAT?!!!!111
- at least no chroma subsampling nonsense anymore
- and IPS glow is less than typical IPS on this FALD monitor also... seems like FALD is naturally better fit for IPS panels
- OMG, I saw the price of this HDMI 2.0 monitor! Wonder if I can ever unsee it =(

This is why i did not purchase this monitor, i am one of those that a very sensitive to pixel response.

Instead I am waiting for more reviews of the Neo G9. Some of the early chinese reviews show it to have a 1.8ms average response, that is amazing for a monitor with these specs.
Neo G9 is a VA panel so I would not expect much out of it when it comes to pixel response times.
Just instead of having bright smudges like on Asus you will have dark smudges like on any VA panel out there.
response_8.png

Typical VA panel issue with dark streaking. Here for G7

Actually this issue is known for almost as long as we have VA panels and in the past there was a period of time when VA monitors used a trick with pre-tilting black pixels (literally applying voltage for crystals to move other direction) to then move them to desired color and this actually eliminated these slow response times from black to darker shades. This trick had disadvantage in form of one additional frame of input lag but actually if they already have 240Hz then I see no reason why they could not add such feature as an option for those who would rather want better response times than lower input lag. With frame time of 4.166ms it would be imho completely passable input lag difference in this case. Unlike in the past when monitors had 60Hz and it was adding 16.66ms. I had VA monitor with this feature (Dell 2407wfp) and surprisingly it had no dark streaks at all. Well, it was not super fast by today's standards (advertised 6ms G2G 🤣 yeah...) but scale it up to today's faster panels and 240Hz which by itself improves response times and input lag and imho it would solve one of the biggest issues of VA panels and even beat fastest IPS panels.

Though personally I doubt they will add such thing.
It requires beefier electronics with more memory and probably panel electronics would need to allow such a feature in the first place.

From https://tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_rog_swift_pg32uqx
On the front bottom bezel Asus have added a 2″ size LiveDash OLED display so that users can conveniently stream system stats, custom GIFs, or game clan logos to highlight allegiance. This can be controlled via the OSD menu to show an FPS counter, your GameVisual settings, Input Source, Timer or stopwatch. You can also control the brightness of the graphic or turn it off altogether if you’d rather. It’s quite a nice idea but for some reason Asus have insisted on a very annoying and distracting ROG logo that flashes across the screen fairly often! This is really distracting when you’re trying to use the screen for anything, and just made us want to turn the LiveDash off completely. Asus need to sort that out or at least add a user control to disable that logo flash! You don’t need a constant reminder that you’re using a top-end and expensive ROG gaming screen – your bank statements or your better half will constantly remind you we’re sure!

Feel the burn!

yo dog i heard you liked monitors so we put a SCREEN on your SCREEN so you can look at stuff while you look at stuff!

That actually seems pretty nice for an FPS counter or honestly a clock when I'm in full screen mode but wtf custom gifs or a sweet ROG logo?

- its 2021 so surely it has HDMI 2.1... wait, what? WHAT?!!!!111
- OMG, I saw the price of this HDMI 2.0 monitor! Wonder if I can ever unsee it =(

because uqx have gsync ultimate module and it doesn't support hdmi you can get it on UQ version or you can get it on last proart UCG 120hz with hdmi 2.1 if you want miniled quality.

uqx have full potential with dp1.4 with dsc

because uqx have gsync ultimate module and it doesn't support hdmi you can get it on UQ version or you can get it on last proart UCG 120hz with hdmi 2.1 if you want miniled quality.

uqx have full potential with dp1.4 with dsc
Yeah, lack of HDMI 2.1 is maybe not such a bit issue given who this monitor is targeted for.
People who are willing to pay 3x price of OLED TV for gaming monitor probably already have OLED TV for their consoles 😅

I do however suspect some people will see this as an issue and will rather wait for something significantly better with full HDMI 2.1 support.

yo dog i heard you liked monitors so we put a SCREEN on your SCREEN so you can look at stuff while you look at stuff!

That actually seems pretty nice for an FPS counter or honestly a clock when I'm in full screen mode but wtf custom gifs or a sweet ROG logo?
LOL
Good one :)

VRR FPS counter on the bezel sounds like great idea. I used FPS counter in monitor a lot just to make sure VRR works correctly. If it was hidden under bezel and could be made like very very dim to not be distracting it would be very useful diagnostic tool!

The more I read about this monitor, the more tempted I am to take apart my PG27UQ and replace the fan with a not-so-cheap and rattling one and keep it running for awhile. Minus the dumb fan whose bearings are shot, its been a perfect monitor for me.. and at 27" 4K, the dot pitch is awesome.

Reactions: XoR_
like this
I personally think this is a side grade from a PG27UQ. You trade faster pixel response, higher PPI, less blooming for size, HDR brightness and less fan noise.

The only scenario it's a clear upgrade is when personal preference dictates the purchase. For me 27" is too small so I was desperate for something larger.

The more I read about this monitor, the more tempted I am to take apart my PG27UQ and replace the fan with a not-so-cheap and rattling one and keep it running for awhile. Minus the dumb fan whose bearings are shot, its been a perfect monitor for me.. and at 27" 4K, the dot pitch is awesome.

The PG27 is an exceptional display....extremely underrated IMHO.

I personally think this is a side grade from a PG27UQ. You trade faster pixel response, higher PPI, less blooming for size, HDR brightness and less fan noise.

The only scenario it's a clear upgrade is when personal preference dictates the purchase. For me 27" is too small so I was desperate for something larger.

Yea but that 5" makes quite the difference!
(what she said)

Has anyone gone from a PG27UQ / X27 to an OLED and then to the PG32UQX? I went from an X27 to a CX 48" and could never go back to the X27. HDR even with lower peak brightness is superior on the OLED because of the pinpoint brightness in small areas.

I recently upgraded to a G1 65" but am now tempted by the PG32UQX. The QC issues look like a nightmare compared to the 27" models based on the customer reviews. My X27 is flawless though.

Sitting 4 feet away from the CX 48" was less stressful on the eyes than using the X27. I sit 6 feet away from the G1 65".

Last edited:
I am even considering the PA32UCG which has HDMI 2.1. The professional version will probably have superior QC as well. I wonder if VRR works with NVIDIA cards over HDMI 2.1 or DisplayPort. With Dolby Vision support, I could plug it into an Apple TV or media player for watching shows.

Extensive review of local dimming issues on this panel:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back