PG32UQX - ASUS 32" 4K 144 Hz HDR1400 G-Sync Ultimate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I found a deal breaker for the FO48U. I noticed it's spec sheet stated 4K/120hz through HDMI + PS5/Series X was limited to 4:2:0 which is odd. I know PS5 is only capable of 32Gbps (4K/120hz 4:2:2) but the Gigabyte is straight advertising HDMI 2.0 bandwidth for it's 2.1 ports. Even more confusing is this statement in the manual which is absent on the FV43U. Looks like it has some gimped HDMI 2.1 implementation.

Who knows what this means and how it translates when actual devices are connected but I'm not really interested in being a guinea pig.

EDIT: FV43U product page specs also states consoles are limited to 4:2:0 but manual does not include the riddle me this input notes found in the FO48U manual.
Good catch. I thought this might be a nice alternative to the CX with DP 1.4 + DSC support offering everything HDMI 2.1 can do without needing a HDMI 2.1 GPU but it definitely does sound like something has been gimped. What the hell is that "6G" about?

I think I found a deal breaker for the FO48U. I noticed it's spec sheet stated 4K/120hz through HDMI + PS5/Series X was limited to 4:2:0 which is odd. I know PS5 is only capable of 32Gbps (4K/120hz 4:2:2) but the Gigabyte is straight advertising HDMI 2.0 bandwidth for it's 2.1 ports. Even more confusing is this statement in the manual which is absent on the FV43U. Looks like it has some gimped HDMI 2.1 implementation.

Who knows what this means and how it translates when actual devices are connected but I'm not really interested in being a guinea pig.

EDIT: FV43U product page specs also states consoles are limited to 4:2:0 but manual does not include the riddle me this input notes found in the FO48U manual.
6 GHz over 4 channels should still be enough for full chroma with DSC at 120 Hz, unless they have implemented only three channels in their HDMI outputs. In that case they should not be able to advertise their HDMI outputs as HDMI 2.1.

I'm really surprised they are still in stock. Newegg must have gotten a lot of them in. Probably the monitor with easily the best specs/price on the market right now.

I'm really surprised they are still in stock. Newegg must have gotten a lot of them in. Probably the monitor with easily the best specs/price on the market right now.
I just looked and I'm still showing the monitor as being out of stock? I actually haven't been able to find this in stock on any site. Do you think it would be worth upgrading to this from an Alienware 3440x1440p 120Hz panel from a few years ago?

It's showing OOS for me on Newegg. $3,000 USD is hard to swallow for a monitor. $2,000 for the PG27UQ was my limit for a monitor when it was still brand new. I probably would have bought the 32" had it been at that price.

It's showing OOS for me on Newegg. $3,000 USD is hard to swallow for a monitor. $2,000 for the PG27UQ was my limit for a monitor when it was still brand new. I probably would have bought the 32" had it been at that price.
Had Acer and ViewSonic tossed their hats into that ring... those monitors would all probably be ~ $2,000.

Monopoly has its advantages.

Interestingly, ASUS is putting out it's 600 nit PA32 panel soon. (okay, they're acknowledging its existence and it has an updated product page). But their lower price gaming monitor is nowhere to be seen - they're ceding the 'affordable gaming' to Gigabyte.

This industry does not work at all like I would think it would. =/

Has anybody gotten a new monitor in the last week or two?

Just stalking Twitter/Reddit/Youtube.... it seems like deliveries have really slowed down lately.

Wondering if Asus is slowing deliveries down while they try to fix their shit QC.
50-75% of the monitors getting returned probably is not a good look for them.

Just stalking Twitter/Reddit/Youtube.... it seems like deliveries have really slowed down lately.

Wondering if Asus is slowing deliveries down while they try to fix their shit QC.
People are saying their AORUS monitors are being delayed, too. Might be running into a general panel supply issue.

I ordered one off Amazon on 6/10 and it shipped yesterday. It was originally scheduled for 7/10 so there likely will be another wave of monitor reviews popping up over the next few days.

Last edited:
Nice, I also ordered from Amazon on June 10 and just got my shipping confirmation a couple minutes ago.

Says it's scheduled for 7/8 delivery, was originally scheduled for 7/12.

Fingers crossed for both of us on the panel lotto 🤞

Rumor was that this monitor would retail for $3,600... $3,000 sounds like a steal in comparison.

I got sick of waiting, and felt sick at the thought of a $3,600 price, so I caved and bought a PG35VQ...

Now that the mythical 32" 120hz+ 4k HDR dream monitor has finally arrived, I'm not sure I want to buy based on the initial feedback from owners. Not to mention availability is essentially nonexistent. Very disappointing.

Rumor was that this monitor would retail for $3,600... $3,000 sounds like a steal in comparison.

I got sick of waiting, and felt sick at the thought of a $3,600 price, so I caved and bought a PG35VQ...

Now that the mythical 32" 120hz+ 4k HDR dream monitor has finally arrived, I'm not sure I want to buy based on the initial feedback from owners. Not to mention availability is essentially nonexistent. Very disappointing.
The $3,600 figure came from the price in Southeast Asia, which is always higher than in the US.

The $3600 number came from CES 2020 where Acer announced the X32 would be $3600 so everyone assumed the same for PG32UQX.

The Chinese PG32UQX pricing was actually more like $6k-$8k USD I think.

I got mine yesterday and the LED that is supposed to show the ROG logo out of the bottom of the stand doesn't work. 😑 Seriously Asus? 😠

It is by far the best HDR picture I have ever seen on a monitor or TV. There is slight blooming but unless you are really looking for it I don't find it very obvious or distracting. My games look nothing like some of the YouTube videos posted recently about the blooming issues.

My uniformity and viewing angels do not appear to be very good for an IPS in SDR content with the brightness high on a black or dark grey background with FALD disabled. I do have a slightly similar effect the one user had with the ( ) shape across the screen but not nearly as bad or pronounced. It's only noticeable in that exact scenario though so I don't know if my panel is faulty or I'm just paranoid to find problems that are not really there after reading everyone's reviews and issues. I have also noticed some text appears blurry or not very sharp. I don't know if it's 4k scaling issues, content problems or my eyes but my other crappy display doesn't have that problem.

Minus those issues this is hands down the best gaming experience I have ever seen on a display. I have been saving up and waiting for this panel for a long time and the HDR experience has been absolutely mind blowing in every game I have tried so far.

With that being said.... I am still feeling a little buyers remorse with this panel. The minor issues like the stupid logo not displaying (which I would probably disable anyway) and slight weird uniformity issues I would have looked past on a cheaper display but for 3 big ones it's completely unacceptable.

Last edited:
The logo LED at the bottom has a cover on by default from what I remember. I think that needs to be removed and swapped with one of the included logo shapes to make it visible before putting on the stands legs. You can find them in the little cloth bag.

The logo LED at the bottom has a cover on by default from what I remember. I think that needs to be removed and swapped with one of the included logo shapes to make it visible before putting on the stands legs. You can find them in the little cloth bag.
LMAO, I am an idiot.

I did swap out and attach the logo and plastic piece that you put on the bottom but you are correct there is a separate small black cover directly over the LED you have to peel away hidden by the stand.

Thank you sir

Well I got my second one in from Amazon. Also with yellow pressure marks on the panel and stuck magenta pixels.

Wowzer.

I guess I’ll keep it until the last day of the return period and buy my third one. Looks like a new round of stock may be incoming at the end of this month.

Wonder how long it’ll be before I get blacklisted for returning their faulty garbage. Talk about a waste of time and resources.

Well I got my second one in from Amazon. Also with yellow pressure marks on the panel and stuck magenta pixels.

Wowzer.

I guess I’ll keep it until the last day of the return period and buy my third one. Looks like a new round of stock may be incoming at the end of this month.

Wonder how long it’ll be before I get blacklisted for returning their faulty garbage. Talk about a waste of time and resources.
maybe asus need to be blacklisted from amazon, not the users

Hey folks, I recently found this thread and wanted to jump in on the fun. Picked up a 32UQX when it launched at microcenter and I was lucky. My panel is flawless. Overall I am very happy with the purchase. It is a really nice step up in image quality over its little brother the 27UQ. Like others have noticed, there is more noticeable blooming then the 27UQ, but absolutely not a deal breaker. Level 2 FALD setting seems to be the best from what I can tell. I can also report that motion clarity is good. Pretty much on par the with 27UQ. At least from what my eyes can tell. At the 3k price tag, It is a hard purchase to justify for most considering the OLED TVs you could buy at that price. But in comparison to my own LG OLED, this Monitor is Miles ahead. Blacks are very comparable, IMO better in some situations on the 32UQX, and HDR brightness, well there is absolutely no comparison there. It will probably take OLED panels 5 years to catch up to peak and sustained brightness levels that this monitor offers. So I could only recommend this monitor to someone who wants the absolute top of the line HDR image quality who has no budget, and who is willing to live with the minor downside of blooming due to the FALD tech.

Last edited:
I avoid buying PC parts and displays from Amazon like the plague.

Why? Over the years I've probably rented a dozen monitors from Amazon and never had an issue returning.

But then again I am kinda an Amazon whore and have purchased like $200K worth of stuff from them over the last two decades, so maybe they overlook my returns.

Why? Over the years I've probably rented a dozen monitors from Amazon and never had an issue returning.

But then again I am kinda an Amazon whore and have purchased like $200K worth of stuff from them over the last two decades, so maybe they overlook my returns.
I've ordered two pieces of hardware from them: A CPU and a set of memory. Both factory packaging (not delivery packaging) were chewed up so badly that I'm frankly surprised the hardware was still in one piece and worked fine. Sold and shipped by Amazon on both of them. I've not had a single bad experience with Newegg in 20 years so I'm sticking with them as my primary source.

What does your guys setup look like in terms of speakers?
Any reasonably sized table should fit speakers around the 32" screen just fine. You run into problems when you have several displays or TV sized ones. Then it might be better to mount speakers on the wall or on pole stands tilted towards you.

I was thinking more along the lines of aligning the speakers with the monitor orientation.

I have 2 tweeters and a sub, but my pg32uqx is on a monitor arm since sometimes I am using it on my desk, and other times I tilt it 45deg to my couch but then my speakers are pointing the wrong way and the pg32uqx does not include any speakers in the monitor itself (weird).

It seems kind of odd to me the only audio output for a monitor without any built in speakers is a 3.5mm out...

The solution I'm going to try is a 3.5mm -> bluetooth transmitter with a Bluetooth speaker that wraps around my neck, but it's not ideal.
(3.5mm out -> 3.5mm splitter -> BT transmitter / desk speakers)

Last edited:
Why use the monitor for audio at all if you’re using bluetooth? Why not just bluetooth audio out from the computer (or any other computer based audio solution)?

I was thinking more along the lines of aligning the speakers with the monitor orientation.

I have 2 tweeters and a sub, but my pg32uqx is on a monitor arm since sometimes I am using it on my desk, and other times I tilt it 45deg to my couch but then my speakers are pointing the wrong way and the pg32uqx does not include any speakers in the monitor itself (weird).

It seems kind of odd to me the only audio output for a monitor without any built in speakers is a 3.5mm out...

The solution I'm going to try is a 3.5mm -> bluetooth transmitter with a Bluetooth speaker that wraps around my neck, but it's not ideal.
(3.5mm out -> 3.5mm splitter -> BT transmitter / desk speakers)
The 3.5mm output is meant for headphones. I would not bother even using it and would just connect directly from computer to BT speaker.

Ive got my PG32uqx hooked up in my bathroom across from my toilet on a Dr. Octupus swing mount that is versitile to hover over my bubble bath too....and I have found that original OG Xbox headphones from 2003 to be the best uniform sound solution....and easy to sanitize!

I use my pg32uqx for 4k HDR media consumption through my Xbox series X console.
The only way I can even justify the $3k price tag is that the monitor has multiple use cases for me (gaming + 4k media + work).

I do my 4k media consumption solely through console (no pc), 4k HDR playback is far superior on a console vs pc (at least as far as Vudu).
I have tried getting 4k working on pc in the past, but it has been very challenging and even when working it is very buggy.
Vudu over console is very effortless/easy/reliable.

Unfortunately Xbox series X does not support Bluetooth and furthermore does not include an optical out.
My only audio options are:
1) audio over USB (licensed Xbox products only)
2) Extracting HDMI audio
3) Monitor audio output

#1 is obviously off the table, unless I want to listen to movies with some TurtleBeach crap.

#2) I'm exploring this option through an HDMI splitter and HDMI 2.0 audio extractor, however using a HDMI 2.0 audio extractor limits Xbox Series X to 4k/60 (vs 4k/120). Likely will only use this for gaming on certain RPGs.

#3) Exploring this as an audio option when gaming at 4k/120 and when wirelessly watching movies

I did receive my 3.5mm bluetooth transmitter and bluetooth neck speakers last night and they seem to be playing nice with the monitor 3.5mm out.

I still think having 3.5mm as the only audio output when the monitor does not have any built in speakers is silly though.

I did receive my 3.5mm bluetooth transmitter and bluetooth neck speakers last night and they seem to be playing nice with the monitor 3.5mm out.

I still think having 3.5mm as the only audio output when the monitor does not have any built in speakers is silly though.
The expectation is that the media device would be outputting the audio, but since the options on consoles are so limited like you said you're out of luck unless you connect them to a TV instead of a monitor.

The expectation is that the media device would be outputting the audio, but since the options on consoles are so limited like you said you're out of luck unless you connect them to a TV instead of a monitor.
Yeah that's understood, but most monitors also include built in speakers and this monitor does not despite the price tag.

My A8H OLED has:
1) HDMI out (earc enabled)
2) Optical out
3) Built in speakers

My pg32uqx has none of those things so I'm stuck coming up with my own bootleg audio solution.
Which would be understandable if this were a budget monitor, but makes no sense on a premium $3k USD monitor.

Interesting; I've noticed the contrast setting on the monitor doesn't clip colors till you get about 68 on the dial. Usually once you go over the default setting of "50" or whatever the monitor uses, it will clip the colors ruining the picture. This means if you set "68" on the HDR contrast, you get more eye searing HDR! I wouldn't go above 68 as it will clip on the test here:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/contrast.php

Yeah that's understood, but most monitors also include built in speakers and this monitor does not despite the price tag.

My pg32uqx has none of those things so I'm stuck coming up with my own bootleg audio solution.
Which would be understandable if this were a budget monitor, but makes no sense on a premium $3k USD monitor.

Let's be realistic here, how many people spending $3,000 on a PC gaming monitor would use built-in speakers? It would make no sense for them to spend the time/money/physical room inside the display to implement something that nearly their entire customer base would not use.

Let's be realistic here, how many people spending $3,000 on a PC gaming monitor would use built-in speakers? It would make no sense for them to spend the time/money/physical room inside the display to implement something that nearly their entire customer base would not use.
Most monitors include speakers, and this monitor is gamer oriented, why not throw in a good (or any) speaker system and if other people wanna use their own systems then they can?

This monitor costs $3k, way way more than most monitors on the market, it doesn't make any sense to not include a speaker system when most do.

Asus stands also suck (tripod) and mounts free up desk space so I'm sure I'm not the only person mounting it and moving it side to side.

It's not so much about whether or not you have your own good speakers as much as it is having directional audio.

I have pretty decent speakers, but I don't want to reorient my speakers every time I move my monitor side to side.

Most monitors include speakers, and this monitor is gamer oriented, why not throw in a good (or any) speaker system and if other people wanna use their own systems then they can?

This monitor costs $3k, way way more than most monitors on the market, it doesn't make any sense to not include a speaker system when most do.

Asus stands also suck (tripod) and mounts free up desk space so I'm sure I'm not the only person mounting it and moving it side to side.

It's not so much about whether or not you have your own good speakers as much as it is having directional audio.

I have pretty decent speakers, but I don't want to reorient my speakers every time I move my monitor side to side.
If you can afford a $3K monitor why would you want some subpar monitor speakers? Most people don't swing their monitor around and will have a proper sound system. I can't think of a single time when I have used the speakers in a monitor, I'd rather have a cheap Bluetooth speaker over those, basically any sound system will be better than what is built into a monitor.

If you can afford a $3K monitor why would you want some subpar monitor speakers? Most people don't swing their monitor around and will have a proper sound system. I can't think of a single time when I have used the speakers in a monitor, I'd rather have a cheap Bluetooth speaker over those, basically any sound system will be better than what is built into a monitor.
Like I said, directional audio.

A proper speaker setup works great if you're sitting in front of it, if not then not as much.

I understand why the monitor doesn't have HDMI 2.1 (gsync module).

I understand why the monitor has bloom (hardware limitation with 1152 zones).

I do not understand why Asus can't include some decent or even cheap speakers.
On top of that, my only audio out is a single 3.5mm port.
It's just a terrible sound solution, I'm glad for you if it doesn't bother you, but it sucks.

Like I said, directional audio.

A proper speaker setup works great if you're sitting in front of it, if not then not as much.

I understand why the monitor doesn't have HDMI 2.1 (gsync module).

I understand why the monitor has bloom (hardware limitation with 1152 zones).

I do not understand why Asus can't include some decent or even cheap speakers.
On top of that, my only audio out is a single 3.5mm port.
It's just a terrible sound solution, I'm glad for you if it doesn't bother you, but it sucks.
I mean Asus even added that small OLED screen.
The FPS counter is neat and it has some utility, but I dont understand how they add that but neglect their sound solution so hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back