pfsense on used rack server?

extrafuzzyllama

Limp Gawd
hi all i am looking to buy a used server for pfsense.

i found some cheap ones on craiglist but i am still new to pfsense and servers so can anyone tell me which of these is good enough?

$60
Used Dell Poweredge 2650
Specs:
Dual Xeon 2.40Ghz
No hard drives. 2 caddies with screws and 3 blanking plates
4GB Memory 2X 1GB, 4X 512MB
Dell PE Expandable Raid Controller 3/di 128mb
CD drive + floppy drive
Dual onboard nics
Dual port Gigabit Intel Server adapter
Dual Power Supplies

$65
For Sale DELL PowerEdge 2850, running Unix OS

Drive 1: SCSI Disk 72 GB
Drive 2: SCSI Disk 72 GB
Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.00GHz x 1
Slot RAM1: DDR2, 1Gb
Slot RAM2: DDR2, 1Gb
CD-ROM Drive Included

i also found a mint condition 8U rack with glass door and lock key for $50 is that a good price?

thanks

Sure these are good enough, a firewall appliance is not that heavy.
Power requirements will be something else though. These poweredge servers pull a lot of current for almost nothing. You are better off with an mITX DIY + 1U enclosure.

EDIT: the first one has no disks though. USCSI disks are needed so no cheap SATA. they are loud and pull lots of power.

Last edited:
Sure these are good enough, a firewall appliance is not that heavy.
Power requirements will be something else though. These poweredge servers pull a lot of current for almost nothing. You are better off with an mITX DIY + 1U enclosure.

do you think i should get one of those servers for maybe some other use if they are cost effective?
is the $60 price range for either a good deal?

Those use WAY too much power. Like 5 - 10 bucks a month power. At least with my cost of power here. Go with a mini itx board DIY. My whole rack uses less power than one of those servers.

/usr/home is right. Those are power hungry. Home build the thing. There are plenty of threads around here for pfsense builds

Those old Xeons are power hungry and sloooow

Maybe find a R200 or R300 with a Celeron or C2D. Just be sure the integrated NIC's are compatible with what you're going to throw on it.

Tried throwing m0n0wall on an R300 we had laying around here once but the old version of FreeBSD it uses did not support the Broadcom network cards.

Back