PfSense Installation - IDE HDD (60Gb) + MaxTerm 8300B

DlStreamnet

Limp Gawd
Execution of the command /sbin/fdisk -v -f /tmp/new.fdisk.ad0

Failed with a return code of 1.

Anybody had this issue? Trying to install by configuring PfSense then hitting 99 at the dashboard.

I'm using a MaxTerm terminal PC, with a 60GB IDE Hard drive using a laptop IDE > PC IDE adapter.

Installing PfSense using MemStick image. MemStick image works fine to boot and work from.

Tried using a small 3gb partition to install on to no avail.

Tried writing all to 0's to no avail.

Any ideas?

My luck always seems to be a crapshoot when trying to boot/install an image from a flash drive. Don't really have any advice other than try rewriting your image.

I do have PfSense running on a 8300B though. I just used a usb cd drive. Works pretty slick, although I need to get either a CF card or a 2.5" drive so I can close it up.

Yes. Right now it's running off an old 20gig drive halfway hanging out the side. I'm debating whether I want to do a CF installation or get a 2.5" drive so I can get it put back together.

Do you mind sharing your BIOS settings?

For the life of me I cannot pass read_dma errors.

Anything settings in particular? I don't recall needing to change anything other than boot order (obviously).

You've probably already seen this, but that's where I learned about the 8300's for PfSense. Like I said, I used a USB optical drive to do the install (just the i386 iso), I didn't really follow his instructions.

If you haven't already I would try reburning/rewriting the image. I don't know how many times I tried to write it to a usb drive. I finally gave up and just burned a cd.

Last edited:
Anything settings in particular? I don't recall needing to change anything other than boot order (obviously).

You've probably already seen this, but that's where I learned about the 8300's for PfSense. Like I said, I used a USB optical drive to do the install (just the i386 iso), I didn't really follow his instructions.

If you haven't already I would try reburning/rewriting the image. I don't know how many times I tried to write it to a usb drive. I finally gave up and just burned a cd.

WOW. Buying one of those MaxTerm systems right now off ebay. Just so happen to have an intel pci nic around here too. The link you specify says in the info that you have to connect another pc to it via serial. Though I'm pretty sure the newest version of pfsense how has a vga console.

Hmm.

I've tried with an IPCop CD, and with a PFSense CD - both get the hard drive partition error.

Likewise when I try and install just vanilla BSD.

I've tied 2 drives, but i have a drive that I categorically know works so I may try that on the off chance.

WOW. Buying one of those MaxTerm systems right now off ebay. Just so happen to have an intel pci nic around here too. The link you specify says in the info that you have to connect another pc to it via serial. Though I'm pretty sure the newest version of pfsense how has a vga console.

Yeah they're pretty slick for 20 bucks :cool:. I had a Via C7 with dual gigabit (realtek however) that I had been running PfSense on, but the PSU burnt up. It was cheaper just to buy the whole MaxTerm than to buy a PSU. You might pick up a 90 degree pci riser while your at it. I was kind of irritated when mine showed up but I couldn't use it because it didn't come with one. Only a few bucks but annoying when you have to wait another week because it didn't come with one.

You're correct. I just used the VGA version since I didn't have a serial cable.

Hmm.

I've tried with an IPCop CD, and with a PFSense CD - both get the hard drive partition error.

Likewise when I try and install just vanilla BSD.

I've tied 2 drives, but i have a drive that I categorically know works so I may try that on the off chance.

Are you using the 40 pin cable that it came with? Might try a different cable. I'm using an 80 pin, shouldn't make a difference, but you never know.

Back