pfSense: how to "no log" (exempt); devices don't show DHCP?

jyi786

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey all, I'm new to pfSense. I did tons of research on these forms, selected good hardware, ran into a snag or two, and got everything squared away. I'm currently running pfSense since last night, and it's really fast and good. :)

I have a few questions, since I'm so new, so I was hoping you guys could help me out in these regards.

1. I have a workstation or two that I'd like protected by the firewall. However, I want to exclude its activity from being logged. In my old router (D-Link DGL-4500), I could just create a rule that would not log anything coming from a specific IP address. Is there a way for me to do this in pfSense?

2. I currently have 3 wireless routers that are running behind my pfSense router. I know how to set it up properly (assigning the wireless routers "static" non-DHCP IPs within the same subnet from pfSense, disabling DHCP/NAT, and connecting to switch ports rather than WAN on the wireless routers) since I was already doing this with my old router. Wireless devices work great and pull IP addresses from the pfSense router. However, this whole thing presents me with a dilemma: these three devices do not show up in my DHCP IP address list of devices in the DHCP Leases list in pfSense. Is there a plugin/package I can use that can crawl the entire network and return to me a list of MAC/IP addresses of all devices that are currently connected to and pulling an IP address from my pfSense router? I tried all the packages that are currently offered (darkstat, arping, etc. etc.) and for the life of me I cannot get these routers to be recognized by the pfSense router. I just need to know and be sure of all the devices that I have currently connected to the pfSense router. My old router did this perfectly, whenever anything was connected to the router.

3. DHCP seems to be a bit "flaky" (if that is the right word?). Sometimes, for no good reason, devices don't resolve a name resolution when they should. I know that my FIOS STBs probably won't have a name resolution, but all my Windows 7 workstations are named, so they resolve; the problem is that some do, some don't. Any ideas on how to fix this? I've already rebooted my pfSense router a few times as well as the devices, and that seemed to help, but not completely.

4. I know how to block URLs from being browsed using the Squid proxy. However, I would like to know how to EXEMPT specific workstations (via either MAC address or IP) from these block lists. How would I do this?

Thanks for all your help and advice, and I'm so glad to be on pfSense. :)

Back