Petitioning for 970 Refund

i also got my two 970s refunded after a bit of trouble and in future i will purchase only from stores that made this possible
and no more Gigabyte for me

as for Nvidia, not gonna buy any card before the specs are verified

No interest in a "refund" on my MSI 970 Gaming, because I don't know what I'd replace it with that would be an improvement. 980 wouldn't be worth the price difference for the games I play, as the 970 plays them all fine in the first place at max settings and max FPS. AMD 290x? LOL

At the $329 pricepoint I paid there's simply nothing else that will play my games better. If we could go back and the card was marketed and labeled as a "3.5+512" VRAM card, I'd buy it all over again. But I guess I understand the salt and internet outrage to an extent.

No interest in a "refund" on my MSI 970 Gaming, because I don't know what I'd replace it with that would be an improvement. 980 wouldn't be worth the price difference for the games I play, as the 970 plays them all fine in the first place at max settings and max FPS. AMD 290x? LOL

At the $329 pricepoint I paid there's simply nothing else that will play my games better. If we could go back and the card was marketed and labeled as a "3.5+512" VRAM card, I'd buy it all over again. But I guess I understand the salt and internet outrage to an extent.

For me it was more causing a fuss to mitigate future risk. The thought of buying tri-Titan X to find out it was gimped and there is no recourse is unacceptable.

If we could go back and the card was marketed and labeled as a "3.5+512" VRAM card, I'd buy it all over again. But I guess I understand the salt and internet outrage to an extent.
It's difficult to understand it in a market that allows companies to advertise HP at the crank instead of at the wheel, pixel response time from whatever measure reduces the time instead of what it used to be when it was more accurate, internet speeds in various forms of MB/s, mb/s, Mb/s, etc., and the same kinds of fiddling with numbers when advertising memory or hard drive space. Corporations have never given every single nuance of a spec in an advertisement and this is simply manufactured outrage at this point except for the few people who are actually experiencing problems and asked for, and received, full refunds. The others claiming it's about being "lied to" either haven't been around very long or don't know how much they're routinely "lied to" from every single corporation out there.

It's difficult to understand it in a market that allows companies to advertise HP at the crank instead of at the wheel, pixel response time from whatever measure reduces the time instead of what it used to be when it was more accurate, internet speeds in various forms of MB/s, mb/s, Mb/s, etc., and the same kinds of fiddling with numbers when advertising memory or hard drive space. Corporations have never given every single nuance of a spec in an advertisement and this is simply manufactured outrage at this point except for the few people who are actually experiencing problems and asked for, and received, full refunds. The others claiming it's about being "lied to" either haven't been around very long or don't know how much they're routinely "lied to" from every single corporation out there.

Wow. Is this guy serious?

Wow. Is this guy serious?

He always waits about a page or so until all the others posts proving that hes bunk are gone. Then he comes back and posts so that people who have not read the thread might actually believe him.
But yeah I agree with your post.

Good point, I don't see this lawsuit going anywhere because the card is in fact 4gb. I don't get why people keep saying it only has 3.5gb of ram. It has 4gb of ram. I'm not expecting anything from this nor should anyone else. The only thing different from original reviews is the rops, but I'm willing to bet most people didn't know or care about the rops, they looked at benchmarks and made their decision to buy the card based on benchmarks.

No point in arguing with the angry users in this thread though, so I'd just stop posting if I were you.

Good point, I don't see this lawsuit going anywhere because the card is in fact 4gb. I don't get why people keep saying it only has 3.5gb of ram. It has 4gb of ram. I'm not expecting anything from this nor should anyone else. The only thing different from original reviews is the rops, but I'm willing to bet most people didn't know or care about the rops, they looked at benchmarks and made their decision to buy the card based on benchmarks.

No point in arguing with the angry users in this thread though, so I'd just stop posting if I were you.

Well at least argue the actual lawsuit.

I'll just leave this here (post 1413 page 71):

Last edited:
So I just got my 16 GB of ram sticks. I am going to be testing the problems of stuttering I was facing with 3 games in particular with by turning up all options.

Dying Light
Mordor Expansion
COD AW

Will report back if adding more ram will fix the stutter. If this works, then I would move from camp that hates nVidia for pulling this shit to the camp that despises nVidia for pulling this shit but is unharmed by their antics. At least for now.

So I just got my 16 GB of ram sticks. I am going to be testing the problems of stuttering I was facing with 3 games in particular with by turning up all options.

Dying Light
Mordor Expansion
COD AW

Will report back if adding more ram will fix the stutter. If this works, then I would move from camp that hates nVidia for pulling this shit to the camp that despises nVidia for pulling this shit but is unharmed by their antics. At least for now.

I doubt it, I was getting some intermittent stuttering in Dragon Age: Inquisition with the 970 and i've got 16Gig total.

I get no stuttering in Dragon Age Inquisition? Was the stuttering due to ram usage beyond 3.5 GB?

Dying Light
Mordor Expansion
COD AW

Keep us posted, interested in the results

Honestly the GTX 970 is a great card but nVidia should be held responsible for the false advertising on the card.

Asus in Taiwan is offering $30 worth of gift voucher for all 970's purchased (for Family Mart, a Japanese version of 7-Eleven), even those that were bought after the notice was posted, so there are manufacturers independently reimbursing, somewhat, 970 owners.

Net price it does put it right beside MSI's Gaming 4G. MSI and Gigabyte still haven't put up any reimbursement offers.

Asus is doing very well making me a loyal brand member, and MSI/Gigabyte, not so much...

I'm curious, do you hear half as many RMA horror stories about Asus in Taiwan?

Well, we wouldn't call them nightmares, they are unfortunately fairly normal when compared to the 'norm' of Taiwanese based customer services. Our CS do not fair much better than the CS you have been experiencing.

However, we probably have it a bit worse because our big companies are generally well known for screwing over customers at home, we shrug it off because we are... 'used' to it.

I am actually very suprised that Asus is doing this in Taiwan, as Taiwan is the very last place I'd expect any Taiwanese companies will do anything for their customers.

However, our consumer laws are also almost non-existent. For example, it is perfectly legal for our companies to not offer any sort of refund or exchanges unless the product in question is actually faulty, in which case you can get a replacement, not a refund (though they have to explicitly state on the window or tell us at point of purchase that they do not offer refund under any circumstances). Which is why companies like Costco are making record sales in Taiwan due to their almost no-frills refund policy.

But back on the topic, while I have not read many Taiwanese hardware forums about the VRAM issue on 970's, I don't think we (the customers) are making a huge deal out of it, since none of the reputable computer hardware retailers have posted anything on this matter.

EDIT: I might be wrong on the 970, I am at work atm so I can't read many websites, I'll research a bit and let you guys know, but there are definitely some complaints about it, there is even a facebook group for boycotting 970's.

Last edited:
Keep us posted, interested in the results
Damn, it was system ram all along. At least in Dying Light absolute max settings including 100% draw distance I now get NO stuttering at all whilst running around and killing stuff.

Same for Mordor. Ultra high textures no longer cause stutters. Everything else is maxed out. All at 1080p so now I no longer give a shit about this whole issue until I buy a 1440 p monitor and face something like this again.

Thanks for the one guy in this thread that gave me advice on system ram upgrade. So happy right now. :D

Damn, it was system ram all along. At least in Dying Light absolute max settings including 100% draw distance I now get NO stuttering at all whilst running around and killing stuff.

Same for Mordor. Ultra high textures no longer cause stutters. Everything else is maxed out. All at 1080p so now I no longer give a shit about this whole issue until I buy a 1440 p monitor and face something like this again.

Thanks for the one guy in this thread that gave me advice on system ram upgrade. So happy right now. :D

Did you have 8GB or 16GB before?

The interesting thing with Dying Light is that the original recommended requirements were 16GB system ram (8GB min). However after massive internet outcry that was apparently in "error" and revised to 8GB recommended and 4GB min.

The interesting thing with Dying Light is that the original recommended requirements were 16GB system ram (8GB min). However after massive internet outcry that was apparently in "error" and revised to 8GB recommended and 4GB min.
He had 8GB and upgraded to 16GB.

Sounds like either poor optimization or a misprint to me. Got to remember the current consoles only have 8gb of memory soldered in. So I doubt any developer in their right mind would allow a game right now chow up to 16gb of system RAM lol. Unless it's PC only.

Last edited:
Sounds like either poor optimization or a misprint to me. Got to remember the current consoles only have 8gb of memory soldered in. So I doubt any developer in their right mind would allow a game right now chow up to 16gb of system RAM lol. Unless it's PC only.

Some games allow you to go above console settings (actually I believe every current generation cross platform game so far has done so). In the case of Dying Light I believe you can up view distance much higher than what is set for consoles (allegedly the PS4 view distance is less than even the minimum setting on the PC).

They did claim the listing was in error after the initial internet outcry but perhaps the listing was simply adjusted to meet public perception. Not really an issue since system requirements are more so vague guidelines. Perhaps the original 16GB number was simply based upon needing more than 8GB at actual maximum settings (including 100% view distance) and hedging a larger buffer for the rest of the system while the 8GB adjusted requirement was less restrictive with those criteria.

Dying Light does some odd memory management.
But then again, everything looks under used!
Afterburner and Task Manager for reporting.

Sys specs:
290x @stock
2500K @ 4.5GHz
8GB @ 2200MHz

Looking out over the city from a high point.
Max game settings, except DOF = off, Grain = off.

Framerate = 30fps static flatline
GPU use = 58%@ 800MHz (self throttled) = 43.5% normalised.
Video mem = 2.47GB
CPU use 4 cores avg = 45% 35% 45% 45%
Sys mem use = 5.6GB
Swapfile = 8.4GB

Setting view distance to 1/2:

Framerate = 36fps avg, variable from 32 to 45
GPU use = 75% @ full 1000MHz
Video mem = 2.68GB
CPU use 4 cores avg = 65% 50% 55% 62%
Sys mem use = 5.4GB
Swapfile = 8.6GB

Max memory use is 5.4GB despite the swap file growing to 8.6GB.
Nothing is near maxed yet framerate is well short.
Something strange going on.

Seriously? The 360 had 512mb of ram now go find a single 360 port that don't use at least double that much on pc.

Derp comment is derp. The amount of ram the console has means nothing on the PC.

Shocked completely at how much diff moving to 16 gb has made across all games I play. Damn, was missing out.

970 ram is used above 3.5 gb without issue.

Shocked completely at how much diff moving to 16 gb has made across all games I play. Damn, was missing out.

970 ram is used above 3.5 gb without issue.

I think needing 16GB is only an issue with the 970.
I just tried Dying Light again (see 3 posts above) moving from 8GB ram to 12GB ram and it made no difference at all, not even slightly.
Memory use is identical.

Congrats! That's awesome to hear. I'm happy that worked for you and your setup isn't stuttering anymore.

I think needing 16GB is only an issue with the 970.
I just tried Dying Light again (see 3 posts above) moving from 8GB ram to 12GB ram and it made no difference at all, not even slightly.
Memory use is identical.

Yea, you can't really compare those two cards. The 970 has funky memory management and (can't find them right now ) there have been people who show evidence that it stores things in ram (via memory dump or somethin like that). My 970 sli is stutter free but from monitoring my system that definitely wouldn't be the case if I had 8gb or less anytime vram goes high enough ram spikes 10-14gb

Last edited:
Back