Petition for XFX to make Nvidia Cards

KipCoo

Limp Gawd
I don't understand this. I've been looking to buy an Nvidia card due to superior Linux driver support. I know AMD has improved in this area, but there still are bugs in video playback.

I want an XFX card because they have the best warranty in the business, a transferrable one at that, and let's face it, no other brand comes close to these guys! People still buy Nvidia cards no? Why won't XFX make them? Seems to me XFX could profit more by making both ATI and Nvidia cards. :confused:

Yes and good riddance. Their "best warranty" is as shady as it gets. Do a search on "xfx warranty" on the forums.

Weird, I never had a problem with them - RMA'd through them a couple times a few years back. Guess I got lucky.

I have also RMA'ed a few cards with them, all have been pleasant experiences.

Another great distributor is EVGA, I lost my receipts for my GTX 260's a few years back and they replaced both of them without any questions. If you are concerned about warranty I believe they are the best for Nvidia Cards from my experience.

Yes and good riddance. Their "best warranty" is as shady as it gets. Do a search on "xfx warranty" on the forums.

While you may have experienced it differently , there warranty is considered one of the best. Many people who have posted here for info get it , sometimes even directly from a XFX support rep who also posts here.

XFX seems overrated to me. People generally consider the reference 5000 series cards to be of high quality, and my reference 5850 from HIS was 55 dollars cheaper than what XFX was selling at the time and things are humming along nicely.

It was XFX's choice to start selling ATI cards. But I don't think it was their choice to stop selling Nvidia cards. Word is Nvidia is punishing them by freezing them out for one generation for crossing over. It makes sense. XFX may not have wanted to sell gtx 470's and 480's but there is no way they would have pasted up selling 460's if they could.

XFX seems overrated to me. People generally consider the reference 5000 series cards to be of high quality, and my reference 5850 from HIS was 55 dollars cheaper than what XFX was selling at the time and things are humming along nicely.

While I don't disagree with you directly , HIS is know for having some pretty horrible warranty service. They are also the fail company that brough us : http://www.hisdigital.com/us/product2-388.shtml and is still selling it for some reason.

So you never even used an XFX card and you say it is over-rated because you never had a problem with your HIS card? :confused:

I'm sorry but that is like saying I think Toyota is over-rated because I drive a Honda and never had a problem.

iirc it was Nvidia that chucked XFX because they started selling ATI cards

was actually the other way around.. XFX originally refused to sell the 400 series because of the stupid contract nvidia was requiring the AIB's to sign.. well nvidia backed down from that requirement and XFX came back to nvidia.. now nvidia thinks they are being cool by saying they are dumping XFX.. highly doubt XFX actually cares if nvidia dumps them or not.. now lets see what interesting things they can come out with on the AMD side.. ill just continue to watch and laugh at nvidia as they continue to shoot themselves in the foot..

Key word "reference" design.. that means every single one of them XFX, sapphire, HIS, ASUS are all the exact same card.. its only when you get into the custom PCB's and cooling that shows which is better..

So you never even used an XFX card and you say it is over-rated because you never had a problem with your HIS card? :confused:

I'm sorry but that is like saying I think Toyota is over-rated because I drive a Honda and never had a problem.

People seem to jump through hoops to buy XFX cards and since I have never had any PC component die on me before I was done with it anyway, the warranty isn't that big of a deal to me, hence "overrated".

When I had the choice of Asus, Sapphire or XFX when the 5870 first came out, I just read around the forums on each manu's warranties. Besides XFX getting great reviews, they were the only one that I could confirm at the time that had their operation based in the U.S. Not positive which of the others but I know for sure if you RMA a couple of the other brands, you wait for an inspection and return trip from Taiwan

One of my 5850's is an XFX, non reference, cheapest one on newegg (got it for Xfire). It's works nicely, I also like the lifetime warranty, even if it just a marketing gimmick. It's all about how you present yourself to the customer service rep. If you start off swearing, haven't troubleshooted, and haven't planned out your conversation to some degree; it won't fly anywhere.

When I had the choice of Asus, Sapphire or XFX when the 5870 first came out, I just read around the forums on each manu's warranties. Besides XFX getting great reviews, they were the only one that I could confirm at the time that had their operation based in the U.S. Not positive which of the others but I know for sure if you RMA a couple of the other brands, you wait for an inspection and return trip from Taiwan

I cannot tell you on other brands, but Asus has at least 2 different locations in the US where you send your RMA in. One in Fremont California and another one in the east coast. Last time I RMAd a card to Asus it went straight to Fremont and my replacement was shipped from the same place.

never had them but I have used saphire and his cards with no issues, matter of fact all of them are still cooking along today with the 3870 stull cranking after 3+ years of daily use the X1800XL is still going after nearly 5 years and the 1950 pros are still going after 4 years

EVGA FTW especially now. They have the Step up Program on many gpu's they sell. You can see full details here http://www.evga.com/stepup/

This could be useful if newer cards come out 2-3 months from now that you would like to upgrade to at little to no cost.

As for XFX and NV, Nvidia is really picky on who they work with and they dont like any AIB who are selling both AMD and Nvidia gpu's that's why they gave XFX the boot from what I've read. Not only that a inside rumor I heard when I worked for a nvidia AIB partner in the past was that a news leak about un-released nvidia hardware came from somebody at XFX.

Pretty dumb of Nvidia to kick out any board provider in this economy. Not really sure why they would even want to do this.They are lucky to have the board partners they do consider the massive delay fermi suffered.

Pretty dumb of Nvidia to kick out any board provider in this economy. Not really sure why they would even want to do this.They are lucky to have the board partners they do consider the massive delay fermi suffered.

I remember reading up posts on one of the threads over in the news section, a couple of folks were saying that nvidia could've been doing this because they started selling their cards (nvidia branded card) to a store. (in which I believe is only best buy)

I remember reading up posts on one of the threads over in the news section, a couple of folks were saying that nvidia could've been doing this because they started selling their cards (nvidia branded card) to a store. (in which I believe is only best buy)

Thats a good point , they did start doing that but didn't they drop XFX quite a while ago? This recent change with nvidia selling there own hardware directly was quite a bit after that. Who knows.

for ati i only buy xfx while it is true you should move on before a card dies it does not mean the card becomes useless. I pass my old cards on to others and usually that is way better than the integrated garbage. Same with ram. I have some older systems that can still play games decently well. If somethings like ram and video cards had not had life time warranty support I would have run out of parts and been unable to keep those older systems running and I would have been unwilling to purchase legacy parts since they are often over priced. But companies like corsair allowed those systems to keep on pumping out the fps well beyond their expected lifetime.

Also resale value is better.

But I understand why some people who keep their systems to them self and do not have family or friends they like to upgrade could care less.

All I can say is that everyone lose in that situation. The customer - for not being able to buy XFX Fermi card, nVidia - for all customers going to AMD because they trust only XFX brand, and XFX - for losing all customers seeking for nVidia Fermi.
I hope that both nVidia & XFX will listen and settle the matter in customers favour. Or continue like that - care not for the few with the dilemma.

It'd be cool if they made nvidia cards again but that's their choice, I've never owned one because they were never the best deal around when I was looking for one.

Sort of wish BFG went the same route as them too. (making AMD's instead of belly up)

^
They tried but AMD wouldn't allow it. They had a BFG ATi 5770 card ready to ship out but AMD put a stop to it.

Even Evga try to join AMD but AMD turn them down as well.

Blame NVIDIA for not letting XFX make Fermi cards. And I heard they officially yanked them off the list and no longer make any future NVIDIA card, how harsh is that. Guess thats how NVIDIA thanked XFX for all that years of service.

Technically Nvidia did drop XFX, not the other way around. The reason Nvidia dropped XFX was because they wanted XFX to be exclusive to Nvidia. XFX of course, wants to make more money by selling both amd and nvidia cards. When XFX decided to sell AMD cards, they knew they would get dropped by Nvidia...but maybe they thought Nvidia would eventually take them back? Whatever, I'm going to give Zotac a try if they indeed come out with the 460x2.

Interesting read. I too would purchase and XFX Nvidia card if there was such a thing anymore. I currently run an XFX card in one machine and have owned several others as well. I have experienced hands down the BEST customer service and support from them in the past. I also have owned 3 EVGA cards and a motherboard. Great product, rebates are a joke. I have sent 3 in and got nothing and been told I don't know how to mail a package 3 times. Funny all our Ebay stuff seems to get where its going......... all 3 times I was treated extremely rudely and was offered nothing for my trouble. I can't speak to their warranty service but I have my doubts based on the way I was treated by their warranty department. Now I can accept someone having a bad day but to be basically called a liar and that I never purchased anything from them even though I had receipts on 3 separate occasions was enough to make me think twice before purchasing from them again, good product or not.

^
They tried but AMD wouldn't allow it. They had a BFG ATi 5770 card ready to ship out but AMD put a stop to it.

Even Evga try to join AMD but AMD turn them down as well.
This is interesting, I did not know they tried too. I wonder why AMD turned em down?

Blame NVIDIA for not letting XFX make Fermi cards. And I heard they officially yanked them off the list and no longer make any future NVIDIA card, how harsh is that. Guess thats how NVIDIA thanked XFX for all that years of service.
Technically Nvidia did drop XFX, not the other way around. The reason Nvidia dropped XFX was because they wanted XFX to be exclusive to Nvidia. XFX of course, wants to make more money by selling both amd and nvidia cards. When XFX decided to sell AMD cards, they knew they would get dropped by Nvidia...but maybe they thought Nvidia would eventually take them back? Whatever, I'm going to give Zotac a try if they indeed come out with the 460x2.
Yeah I was PRETTY mad when i heard about what nvidia did to XFX and BFG, I can *sort of* (because they're nvidia) understand the XFX drop but there was no reason whatsoever to drop BFG.

Key word "reference" design.. that means every single one of them XFX, sapphire, HIS, ASUS are all the exact same card.. its only when you get into the custom PCB's and cooling that shows which is better..

Reference design does not specify the exact parts. I've heard of several manufacturers skimping on caps, VRM heatsinks, etc...

Personally, I think the lifetime warranty is overrated. In what situation will you keep your video card for more than 3 years...and after 3 years, what is it really worth? I'm a huge fan of MSI and Gigabyte, as they are cheap, and use great aftermarket coolers on a lot of their cards. MSI is especially solid when it comes to OC'ing and volt-modding.

XFX and EVGA are absolutely not worth the premium, considering you're getting a reference design.

edit: although I will say XFX does honor their warranty service quite well. I had forgotten to register my 8800GT, but they honored the warranty anyways. So if you are really in need of the lifetime warranty, then go for it.

Do you have a source for this? This is all heresay at this point. Why are manufacturers like Gigabyte, Asus, and MSI still selling both NVidia and AMD cards? Unless you have a source, I'm going to say the issue lies outside of an exclusivity arrangement.

Last edited:
Reference design does not specify the exact parts. I've heard of several manufacturers skimping on caps, VRM heatsinks, etc...

Personally, I think the lifetime warranty is overrated. In what situation will you keep your video card for more than 3 years...and after 3 years, what is it really worth? I'm a huge fan of MSI and Gigabyte, as they are cheap, and use great aftermarket coolers on a lot of their cards. MSI is especially solid when it comes to OC'ing and volt-modding.

XFX and EVGA are absolutely not worth the premium, considering you're getting a reference design.

Do you have a source for this? This is all heresay at this point. Why are manufacturers like Gigabyte, Asus, and MSI still selling both NVidia and AMD cards? Unless you have a source, I'm going to say the issue lies outside of an exclusivity arrangement.

I think the lifetime warrenty is great. When I go to sell my XFX card, A good sales pitch is knowing you can transfer a lifetime warrenty to the person you are selling too.

Which is why XFX cards are highly in demand in the trade/sale forum.

From what I have read, mostly here, nvidia is wanting partner that manufacture their own PCB.
ASUS,Gigabyte and MSI, along with Palit (those are the ones I am certain of) do just that.
Therefore they can and will produce both nvidia and AMD products.

The other board partners just rebadge someone elses work and supply the customer service.

I think that's why XFX was banned. BFG just went belly up due to financial problems, I believe.

From what I have read, mostly here, nvidia is wanting partner that manufacture their own PCB.
ASUS,Gigabyte and MSI, along with Palit (those are the ones I am certain of) do just that.
Therefore they can and will produce both nvidia and AMD products.

The other board partners just rebadge someone elses work and supply the customer service.

I think that's why XFX was banned. BFG just went belly up due to financial problems, I believe.

XFX does do there own PCB work, get your facts correct.

This is interesting, I did not know they tried too. I wonder why AMD turned em down?

Evga try to join AMD during the early ATi 4-series however AMD turn them down and say AMD needs to be loyal to their board partners who stuck by them through the rough days (Ati 3-series) like Sapphire, ASUS, and etc. If Evga did go to AMD we know a lot of people would be flooding to them.

Later XFX came along and AMD welcomes them with open arms? :confused:

Then BFG try to make the BFG 5750 (not 5770 my mistake) but Nvidia found out and yea...

Here is a link about BFG.

http://www.thinq.co.uk/2010/8/19/bfg-did-make-ati-cards/

Back