Petition for the Resignation of FCC Chairman Ajit Varadaraj Pai

I see the quality of the service I receive, and balance it against costs, and have no problem with it. I do not feel that I am being taken advantage of by Cox Communications in my area.
You wouldn't like having the same exact service for $20 less?

I suppose that your views are heavily influenced by your own life and that you live in a more populated part of the country. Is your life grounded in the cities and universities where the internet is an embedded part of your life? You sound like you do.

Perhaps you see it as an absolute necessity, that work can't happen without it, and that quality of life would be severely impacted if one can't stream Netflix. Is this so? Do you believe that one can't possible manage interacting with the world without a connection faster than DSL?
This is just silly. There are all kinds of things and services we could do without, but why should we? It's the "in my time we didn't have X and we were just fine" argument.

You wouldn't like having the same exact service for $20 less?

This is just silly. There are all kinds of things and services we could do without, but why should we? It's the "in my time we didn't have X and we were just fine" argument.

I'll take what I can get.

And this is not the argument. The argument is what I stated, I know many people who don't care if you ever offer them broadband because it's part of what they moved out here to get away from.

So while some people view the internet, and broadband access to it, as something everyone wants, and many people need, these people live in a false reality. There is a large segment of the population that do not want or need broadband access, and most of them live in areas where ...... there is no broadband access.

Out here within 30 miles of the Mexican border ..... well life here just different. But it isn't the only part of the country that fits that description.

I don't like him.

But I have no idea why anyone would bother making a petition. Is there a theory he'll get up, see it, and say "gosh, I'm not following the will of the people!" and resign?

Another item in the "I do this so I feel good" department, I suppose.

I went out in the yard and yelled at the sky, wasn't that sufficient? Guess not, guy's still there. Who knew that impotently yelling at the sky would not make a difference?

He's a blow hard, just like every president before him. I still like him for his lack of PC. Yeah, I roll my eyes, but it is interesting and entertaining. Better than Oblamy.

That's a low standard you got.

If I'm going to take it in the rear from a politician, I'd rather it be by someone that can read and speak over a 5th grade level.

The fact that Trump represents the country and speaks so unintelligibly is massively embarrassing. The guy desperately needs to use a speech writer.

Last edited:
I'll take what I can get.

And this is not the argument. The argument is what I stated, I know many people who don't care if you ever offer them broadband because it's part of what they moved out here to get away from.

So while some people view the internet, and broadband access to it, as something everyone wants, and many people need, these people live in a false reality. There is a large segment of the population that do not want or need broadband access, and most of them live in areas where ...... there is no broadband access.

Out here within 30 miles of the Mexican border ..... well life here just different. But it isn't the only part of the country that fits that description.

So, by that logic it would be reasonable if the only "restaurant" options in the USA was McDonalds (dsl), Dunkin Donuts (satellite), and Perry's Steakhouse (cable)? Eating out isn't necessary or needed and not everyone goes to restaurants. While food and the internet comparisons are "apples to oranges" since food is a necessity unlike the Internet (according to some people), restaurants vs ISPs could be compared since food can be obtained from grocery stores, making restaurants unnecessary. Of course to fit into the comparison, you can't drive to another town for a different restaurant either, since you can't choose a different ISP for your residence in many cases in the US.

Someone else mentioned switches earlier in the thread (too lazy to go back and find it :p ). The "fast lane" issue is my biggest concern, especially being limited between Comcast, 768k AT&T, or Satellite in my new neighborhood. My fear with the fast lanes is that it would be like going out and buying a 5 port gigabit switch where only 2 ports are gigabit and the other 3 are set to 10mb. The switch manufacturer is more than happy to change those 3 other ports to gigabit.. for an extra fee per port. Unfortunately, they are the only switch manufacturer so if you have more than 2 devices that need gigabit speed you are forced to pay the ongoing monthly charge to keep those ports at gigabit speeds.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...pps-fails-to-mention-how-it-blocked-facetime/

Apple made FaceTime work over cellular networks in 2012 with the release of iOS 6, but AT&T said it would only "enable" FaceTime on cellular if you bought a "Mobile Share data plan."

Sounds like it's possible in the future to block Skype and such, unless someone double or triple pays for it perhaps, if companies like AT&T feel like exerting their position as the gatekeeper. They tried this before so why not again right?

You are free to try, but you're going to find out that there are just as many people who have a different perspective on things.

True but revolutions were NEVER made by an absolute majority. They are made by a well organized and sizable minority who have a bunch of fence sitters who cheer them on.

True but revolutions were NEVER made by an absolute majority. They are made by a well organized and sizable minority who have a bunch of fence sitters who cheer them on.

I spent 16 years of my life in the US Army. Would you think of me as a fence sitter?

There are peaceful revolutions, and violent ones. The violent ones almost always fail, although sometimes they did manage to promote change. Still, sometimes even the change wasn't for the better.

If you think we need a revolution, I'd say to you, "Be careful what you wish for, You just might get it"

There are many people in the US who talk and act as if this country is the worst country on earth. I can tell you that I understand the illusion of better life that people see when they visit other countries. You go somewhere and you see things are different and exotic, and a little exciting and it doesn't take long for a person to start thinking that it's really better somewhere else. And truth is, some things are. But it's also easy to forget that you have one of the most powerful, and in some ways, respected, countrys behind you and nobody is forgetting where you are from. They know you are an American and you are being treated differently whether you realize it or not.

Thing is, all those countries where we think they got it better, their people want to be us. They want to come here. Go to the US Consulate in other countries and there are lines around the block with people waiting to get in, trying to get Visas. But go to foreign consulates here in the US and see how many Americans are trying to get somewhere else. Sure, we'll be an ex-pat, we'll take our money and live somewhere else. But not to many are renouncing their citizenship and swearing allegiance to the other guys. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just that it's far more rare the other way around.

Now you haven''t been very specific about your ideas and frankly, I would counsel you to keep them to yourself because people watch me, and if your in discussions with me, well then they are seeing you while they are watching me. You know how I know they are watching me?

They told me so ;)
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation...monitor-federal-employees-security-clearances
U.S. intelligence officials to monitor federal employees with security clearances

Now we know who's watching the watchers don't we?

It's easy to be active in a small community, and believe me, as far as communities go, even the [H] isn't that big and not all the members even participate in the forums anyway so ..... you can get this echo chamber thing going where it seems that everybody agrees with you and so you start thinking that you are part of a much larger group acrossed the country than you really are.

Case in point, how many wrote letters are whatever demanding Pai wait for the FTC vs AT&T trial to finish up with this appeal?

Here is;
Do Not Repeal Net Neutrality
Created by A.L. on November 22, 2017
255,233 signed
100,000 goal

That's three all from the front page, at the height of the fight, and all three together don't come to a million votes in a country with a population of over 325 million. And that's if none of them signed more than one petition. OK, the silent majority maybe?

Oh well, I have to go, work is over, lights went out, I have to leave before they lock me in. We'll see how it turns out, I have some faith in the system though I know how they can screw shit up, I still believe.

Back