Petition for MacBook Pro Recall over Broken Keyboards Close to 10K Signatures

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
A petition at change.org urging Apple to recall and replace the keyboards of all MacBook Pro units released since late 2016 is nearing its goal of 10,000 signatures. According to Matthew Taylor and countless other users, all current-gen models utilize poorly designed keyboards that are destined to fail.

If you, Apple, want to continue to pretend this isn’t a problem, your head is buried deep in the silicon. “Design is how it works.” These don’t. Everyone who bought this computer bought a Lemon, or at the least, a potential Lemon when one speck of dust gets under the keys. There should be a Lemon Law for laptops.

When the retina Macbook pros came out, they were quite powerful at the time. Now, they are just sad and overpriced, requiring a dongle for anything. This is 2018, and the max memory is the same as the 2012 retinas. No thanks.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
This video alone should be a big enough reason to never buy Apple, even if you do like their products :

Firstly fuck that guy and his weird underwear endorsement during the video. Secondly fuck the weird ass idea that they have to present this as some reality tv drama. Just give us the fucking facts, you are a source of information not entertainment.

What I’m saying is, that video is unwatchable and with right to repair laws being shitty as they currently are Apple is hardly alone here.

Reactions: hmz
like this
You're missing the point of the video. They are prepared to PAY, in FULL to get it repaired, and Apple REFUSES.

Would Dell, HP or so many other manufacturers do the same? No.

Apple is the SOLE provider of that specific hardware, and they really have no other official avenues they can pursue, which itself is yet another problem related to this topic.

Firstly fuck that guy and his weird underwear endorsement during the video. Secondly fuck the weird ass idea that they have to present this as some reality tv drama. Just give us the fucking facts, you are a source of information not entertainment.

What I’m saying is, that video is unwatchable and with right to repair laws being shitty as they currently are Apple is hardly alone here.

And Apple like any retailer reserves the right to refuse service. Does it suck, yeah. Should they be supported while doing this, no. What a nice impasse they’re at until laws are properly in place to make this shit illegal.

But at the same time, fuck that guy and his shit ass video, regardless of the point of the video.

damn

Used to work for an aasc and it sounds like the mobo got so raped when that dipshit shorted it and dropped the screen in fright, that they can't read (jtag/whatever diagnostic they use) serial and model info, due to some official policy, possibly to fight warranty fraud. Normally we would just repair and manually enter those details.

Reactions: raz-0
like this
You're missing the point of the video. They are prepared to PAY, in FULL to get it repaired, and Apple REFUSES.

Would Dell, HP or so many other manufacturers do the same? No.

Apple is the SOLE provider of that specific hardware, and they really have no other official avenues they can pursue, which itself is yet another problem related to this topic.
Yeah, they refuse, because they aren't prepared, if I understand the video. How the hell a multi billion company gets away with this? I don't know, this i would expect from china cheap, not apple elite. Incredible.

Yep sounds exactly like apple. I just love how apple think there crap smells better than anyone elses. Even though there nothing but PC's running Unix which they stole from FreeBSD and a GUI they stole from xerox and a App store they stole from linux. They make money selling hardware period. Cost them pennys to build and they sell it at 1500% mark up's.

Firstly fuck that guy and his weird underwear endorsement during the video. Secondly fuck the weird ass idea that they have to present this as some reality tv drama. Just give us the fucking facts, you are a source of information not entertainment.What I’m saying is, that video is unwatchable and with right to repair laws being shitty as they currently are Apple is hardly alone here.
We apologize for Linus and advertising triggering you. Might i recommend a nap.

The [h]ardforums really needs a downvote option.

We apologize for Linus and advertising triggering you. Might i recommend a nap.

The [h]ardforums really needs a downvote option.
Needs a nap for sure.
While I would normally be happy to see someone critical of Linus, Nolan's argument really isn't even an argument. Sad!

The Chinese are actually far more prepared to repair than Apple is. I've seen so many videos about how their electronic markets work, and it's actually really neat. Apple is just a fucking joke. Pay extra, get less, fuck that.

Yeah, they refuse, because they aren't prepared, if I understand the video. How the hell a multi billion company gets away with this? I don't know, this i would expect from china cheap, not apple elite. Incredible.

Jeez, I think Linus is okay his videos are just okay... Please don't kill me with fire.. heheh... Also...:
I think this is a better video that describes Apple.

Jesus. A friend been using an apple laptop... For the longest time time I swear it was a chrome book, yes yes didn't even notice the glowing apple in the back.. it was only when using it myself i realized, it was an apple... There was nothing awesome about it, wasn't even fast, didn't feel expensive or upscale in anyway... What he says at the start of the video is so true, people get burn by apple they just don't care, they love it anyway, its really remarkable.
Btw my now 12 year old hp notebook refuses to die, that ghetto shit just will not die, just used it the other day to change settings in my router... Now, the battery on it, that died twice, but its user replaceable, but didn't bother a third time though.

Last edited:
And Apple like any retailer reserves the right to refuse service. Does it suck, yeah. Should they be supported while doing this, no. What a nice impasse they’re at until laws are properly in place to make this shit illegal.
IMO if apple is only place you can get certain parts to fix an apple made device they shouldn't be allowed to refuse, but as you say they have right to refuse service there has been places sued for that. Reason they refused to fix is was likely rather they want you to buy a new computer which likely cost 2-3x more at least.

Jeez, I think Linus is okay his videos are just okay... Please don't kill me with fire.. heheh... Also...:

Jesus. A friend been using an apple laptop... For the longest time time I swear it was a chrome book, yes yes didn't even notice the glowing apple in the back.. it was only when using it myself i realized, it was an apple... There was nothing awesome about it, wasn't even fast, didn't feel expensive or upscale in anyway... What he says at the start of the video is so true, people get burn by apple they just don't care, they love it anyway, its really remarkable.
Btw my now 12 year old hp notebook refuses to die, that ghetto shit just will not die, just used it the other day to change settings in my router... Now, the battery on it, that died twice, but its user replaceable, but didn't bother a third time though.

I've always said that 99% of Macbook owners could switch to a Chromebook with no real change to their routine other than one.

With the $900 saved they could buy their own broadband and be able to stay at home and not sponge off coffee shops.

Reactions: S-F
like this

Yeah. That guy is an asshole and his channel is full of teens and commercials.

Microsoft does not repair the Surface devices as well. They just replace them. Its getting standard now days.

Fuck these guys and fuck Apple too for being dickweeds when it comes to their product design and repairs. They are absolutely the most unfriendly company when it comes to repairs and sink their souls into designing products that cannot be repairs and have everything integrated even though it would have cost them less to product with slots than having a SKU for all the different combinations. Talk about screwing the customer and enjoying it but hey, most of their customers enjoy being screwed! So what, more power to Apple? They have no edge over other computers (since 2006?) nor have much in innovation departnment so who knows how long their can ride it out.

I have no sympathy for these morons. The problems with that keyboard have been known for a long time.

I place these idjits in the same league as someone buying a box of 5/16" nutes, when they really should have bought 1/4" nuts, then suing the manufacturer for putting the wrong size nuts in the box.

I hope they get a big, fat, finger from the judge on this one, if it gets that far.

His videos are all like that pretty much, regardless of the topic. He's a fucking intel shill and somewhat of a drama queen.

I have no sympathy for these morons. The problems with that keyboard have been known for a long time.

I place these idjits in the same league as someone buying a box of 5/16" nutes, when they really should have bought 1/4" nuts, then suing the manufacturer for putting the wrong size nuts in the box.

I hope they get a big, fat, finger from the judge on this one, if it gets that far.

.... what the hell are you talking about?

"Apple, please fix this, we will pay for the repair."

Apple: Fuck off, nubzilla, NO!

".... dafuq? We want to give you monies to fix this."

Apple: Fuck off, nubzilla, NO!

What part of that exchange sounds like they went out and bought the wrong part and fucked up trying to put it in?

Back